VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   New York (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/96-new-york/)
-   -   New York Pre-Thanksgiving Vegan Thanksgiving Potluck in Albany Nov 8! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/96-new-york/86824-new-york-pre-thanksgiving-vegan-thanksgiving-potluck-albany-nov-8-a.html)

rabid_child 08-28-2008 06:56 AM

I've decided it's close enough to fall, fall being "September" to start talking about our next potluck. I'm proposing an official



PRE-THANKSGIVING-VEGAN-THANKSGIVING-POTLUCK at chez rabid child in Albany.



All the great things about Thanksgiving without the dead bird! I'm thinking some weekend in late October or early November. The only weekend that I know of that would be bad for me right now is the w/e of Oct 25/26 because I'm going to have a take-home midterm to deal with that weekend. Hmph. I figure starting to plan early gives us ample time to figure out schedules and plan pre-potluck diets to accomodate the the massive amount of carbs and dessert we'll be consuming.



So, who's interested? What weekends are you free? Saturday or Sunday? Who's bringing the pumpkin pie? (Ok, I guess that's a few steps further down the line)



(Can you tell the semester just started and I need something to look forward to before Christmas?)

rainforests1 08-28-2008 09:09 AM

There's a chance I'll go, but my guess is that I won't go to one until next Summer.

rabid_child 09-03-2008 01:31 PM

*crickets*



So! Elsewhere, November 8th has been chosen as the big day. We've got a good 7 people wanting to come thus far with MANY MANY PIES.

megbot 09-03-2008 05:16 PM

November 7th sounds good to me. What better time to veganize grandma's english stuffing than this?



I'll also see if I can veganize mincemeat pie... shouldn't be hard I can use coconut oil pieces instead of the liver fat (i know, gross, its a british thing, don't blame me blame my grandma lol)

rabid_child 09-04-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

November 7th sounds good to me. What better time to veganize grandma's english stuffing than this?



I'll also see if I can veganize mincemeat pie... shouldn't be hard I can use coconut oil pieces instead of the liver fat (i know, gross, its a british thing, don't blame me blame my grandma lol)



I hope that's a typo for Nov 8th!



I don't even know what's in a regular mincemeat pie.. except.. mincemeat. baypuppy and I have elsewhere been discussing vegan marshmallow+yam something or other. We've both got vegan marshmallow kits that need using.

megbot 09-04-2008 12:51 PM

lol yeah it was a typo.



yams are also really good with oj and lots of brown sugar.

Tom 09-04-2008 04:09 PM

I'd like to come. I'll be baking bread by then- I usually don't bake during the warmer months.



I have made pie from scratch: I think it was nectarine or peach with some seedless green grapes. The filling was very tasty and looked like a sunset- pink, yellow, orange all fading into each other- but the crust was wierd. I've also made baklava, and it was very good.



There are other things I could work on and make sure they're perfected in time for the feast.

rabid_child 09-04-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

lol yeah it was a typo.



yams are also really good with oj and lots of brown sugar.



We've always done sweet potatoes and apples with brown sugar/cinnamon. And sweet potato pie.

rabid_child 09-04-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I'd like to come. I'll be baking bread by then- I usually don't bake during the warmer months.



I have made pie from scratch: I think it was nectarine or peach with some seedless green grapes. The filling was very tasty and looked like a sunset- pink, yellow, orange all fading into each other- but the crust was wierd. I've also made baklava, and it was very good.



There are other things I could work on and make sure they're perfected in time for the feast.



Sounds good Tom! Nothing better than homemade bread!



I've never baked with grapes but I've always been curious about it since raisins are so common in baked goods.

megbot 09-05-2008 08:11 AM

omg baklava.



:: requests a batch without nuts ::

rabid_child 09-05-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

omg baklava.



:: requests a batch without nuts ::



I wonder if one could make a baklava with toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds or something. Can you have seeds? I guess that should have been the first question

fadeaway1289 09-17-2008 06:21 PM

I'm hoping to be there and bringing another vegan with me.

rabid_child 09-18-2008 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I'm hoping to be there and bringing another vegan with me.



Yay! I'm hope you can make it. The more the merrier!

XvegankateX 09-22-2008 08:09 PM

ooh this sounds like fun!!!!

rabid_child 09-23-2008 07:55 AM

Our last potluck was great! You should most definitely come

XvegankateX 09-23-2008 04:24 PM

makes me hungry just thinking about all the yumminess!!

rabid_child 09-24-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XvegankateX View Post

makes me hungry just thinking about all the yumminess!!



I was stuffed for DAYS after our July potluck!! And there were so many yummy leftovers! People brought tupperware so they could bring food home. This one is going to be Bigger and Better!

baypuppy 10-02-2008 08:02 PM

i will be there. so excited. we're making some dinner loafs so bring your appetites.



RC i like the avatar! i can't believe baby got so angry lookin!

rabid_child 10-03-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baypuppy View Post

i will be there. so excited. we're making some dinner loafs so bring your appetites.



RC i like the avatar! i can't believe baby got so angry lookin!



I think he looks more... severely displeased.



Here... have a cute one to make up for it..







That's right.. come to the pot luck and you can PLAY WITH A FLUFFY KITTEN!



If that's not a sales pitch, I don't know what is.

rabid_child 10-07-2008 07:03 AM

This is a month and a day away! So far, attendees (tentative and confirmed) from VB include:

me + Mr. r_c

baypuppy +2

XvegankateX

fadeaway1289 +1

nykoelle +1

Tom



We've also got up to another 5 from the PPK, a few from vegweb, 2 from the University here who I don't know (vegan office mate of a friend of mine), and maybe a friend of mine who just recently went vegetarian.



bp and I are going to make seitan turkeys, and I think she's volunteered one of her +2 for pumpkin pie. Does anyone else want to sign up for anything before someone else does?



Also...

What time would be good for everyone? I was thinking early afternoon again.

Any new food issues to note? I know no bananas or nuts for nykoelle -- no raw pineapple for bp, limited onions for me :P

rabid_child 10-10-2008 05:27 PM

Time has been decided as 3 pm. Until... you're so stuffed you have to roll home.

megbot 10-11-2008 01:33 PM

I shant be bringing anyone except myself. I'm also in the air as I gotta figure out my work schedule. Pretty sure I'll be good though, so count me in. If I can't, I'll let you know with plenty of notice.



I can make my grandma's stuffing (it's an english recipe, with potatoes in it) and also a pie. mincemeat (sans the meat of course) is a classic in my family, also my favorite. It's really just a spiced apple raisin pie. Very good.

rabid_child 10-11-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

I shant be bringing anyone except myself. I'm also in the air as I gotta figure out my work schedule. Pretty sure I'll be good though, so count me in. If I can't, I'll let you know with plenty of notice.



I can make my grandma's stuffing (it's an english recipe, with potatoes in it) and also a pie. mincemeat (sans the meat of course) is a classic in my family, also my favorite. It's really just a spiced apple raisin pie. Very good.



Very well -- Meg-herself. Check.



I'll put you down for grandma's stuffing and a mince-not-meat pie

synergy 10-11-2008 07:44 PM

Wow.... I just started randomly reading this thread, and I wish I could come and visit you guys. The whole thing sounds amazing.

rabid_child 10-11-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Wow.... I just started randomly reading this thread, and I wish I could come and visit you guys. The whole thing sounds amazing.



It's gonna be AWESOME! If fate ever randomly throws you into upstate NY... we'll have a potluck in your honor.

rabid_child 10-16-2008 08:52 PM

Here's what we've got for Menu so far. If you are planning on coming please let me know since we are going to make/freeze the "turkeys" in advance and I want to make sure we plan for enough since it takes ALL DAY to make them!



Bryanna Clark Grogan's Seitan Turkey Loaves

Gravy

veggie & bread stuffing

mashed potatoes

pumpkin & zucchini bread

grandma's stuffing

artichoke dip

corn chowder

pumpkin pie

"mincemeat" pie

And by popular demand -- probably ice cream sandwiches

VeggieLizzie 10-16-2008 10:36 PM

Sounds like alot of fun! I am a few hours from Albany (NYC) and would normally love to come but I have something that day ALL day (and this is like the 3rd event that has come up for that particular date).



ENJOY all the goodies! Please keep me in mind for the next one!

rabid_child 10-17-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

Sounds like alot of fun! I am a few hours from Albany (NYC) and would normally love to come but I have something that day ALL day (and this is like the 3rd event that has come up for that particular date).



ENJOY all the goodies! Please keep me in mind for the next one!



I'm originally from Westchester about 30 min from midtown Manhattan. I'll be there for most of Dec. to take care of my Mama who's having surgery. The trip to Albany isn't bad. When my brother comes up he takes the train (he lives in Brooklyn). It goes up the Hudson, which I understand is picturesque by train. haha. The next one the really-local folk and I have been discussing is a New Years Day Brunch.

VeggieLizzie 10-17-2008 10:38 PM

I am pretty familiar with Westchester- I lived in Bedford for elementary school and my good friend is from Yorktown Heights. I also just interviewed for a job in White Plains but the commute is a bit rough. Where are you from originally?



If you want to hit up a veggie place when you come down in Dec to take care of your mom, let me know. I am sure there are more people in the NYC area too.



As much as the Hudson is ummm...gross... the train ride really is lovely. I used to take metronorth all the time when my family lived in Dutchess County and I would imagine the Amtrak ride isn't bad at all either- that is prob how I would get there if I were to come up there. Or Zipcar.

rabid_child 10-21-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

I am pretty familiar with Westchester- I lived in Bedford for elementary school and my good friend is from Yorktown Heights. I also just interviewed for a job in White Plains but the commute is a bit rough. Where are you from originally?



If you want to hit up a veggie place when you come down in Dec to take care of your mom, let me know. I am sure there are more people in the NYC area too.



As much as the Hudson is ummm...gross... the train ride really is lovely. I used to take metronorth all the time when my family lived in Dutchess County and I would imagine the Amtrak ride isn't bad at all either- that is prob how I would get there if I were to come up there. Or Zipcar.



When I lived downstate, I used to try to organize gatherings in NYC... but it always ended up being one other member and me, so after time we gave up and we'd just go out to eat together. Haha. I'll let you know when I have an idea how nuts it'll be at my parents' house with my mom recovering.



On the Thanksgiving front... Two new menu additions:

Mashed sweet potatoes with candied nuts

Sweet cranberry rice dish



If you are coming and I haven't heard a confirmation from you yet let me know so we can plan for how many people are coming.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.