New York Albany Potluck - July 20th - 2PM - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Pursuant to the conversation in the roll call thread between nykoelle and myself...

Anyone interested in having a VB potluck?

I'd be willing to host in our wacky rental house here in Albany, which would also allow the western MA people a chance to attend. Anyone else want to volunteer to host and we can see what works best? What is your availability this summer?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

sweet.

I could host too, I'm in Poughkeepsie, I have a decent sized kitchen and yard. Bit far for you New Englanders. If there's a lot of people from around there might be better at your place. Or, if no one else wants to come I'll just come to your house and you can feed me hah.

PS: I'm Meg too, this could get confusing. X-)

My availability is crap this summer until like mid july. I'm free the weekend of July 19th and MAYBE July 7th, I'm unsure on that one. If not, August is all open for me except for the weekend of the 11th. I have a bunch of friends getting married heh.

Other Meg: This could do better in a broader forum where New England people read too.
#3 Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually go my Megan, so may be less confusing than expected

I posted in the MA forum as well, to see if there's any interest in that area. I'm pretty busy for June myself, and with the rate that people respond to these things, I wouldn't anticipate any sort of organization any early than that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Sweet! Im in WMA, so id definately try to do a potluckin..ive done a few w/ Vegwebbers. I am not sure about availability either, i also have a hard time traveling b/c of health stuff, so dont arrange things on my behalf...its a crapshoot as to how i feel from one day to the next...but once dates/ ideas are thrown around, ill try and work it out!

yay! foodz! :P
#5 Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

Sweet! Im in WMA, so id definately try to do a potluckin..ive done a few w/ Vegwebbers. I am not sure about availability either, i also have a hard time traveling b/c of health stuff, so dont arrange things on my behalf...its a crapshoot as to how i feel from one day to the next...but once dates/ ideas are thrown around, ill try and work it out!

yay! foodz! :P

I'm the same way. I can go from 100% fine to "can barely move" in under an hour. Speaking of which... first w/e in August is bad.. I have to have an endoscopy :P

#6 Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

yikes. I don't even know what that is and it sounds scary. Oscopys in general sound scary.
#7 Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe we should show up after your procedure bearing copius tofu and vegan treats!!
#8 Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

maybe we should show up after your procedure bearing copius tofu and vegan treats!!

With any luck I'll be in a valium induced haze and not puking my guts out. I do poorly with sedation. Either way, you're not really supposed to eat much for the day following because of the sedation.

Endoscopy is tube down the throat. I already told the doctor that if he doesn't have me OUT I'm going to try to claw his eyes out. I'm a charming patient.

But in any event, any time but that first w/e in August is good

#9 Old 06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Megan if/when we do this, could I request one of your kale dishes? I made the kale and pasta you had on your blog and totally digged it. You're like the queen of kale.

nothing wrong with threatening the doctor right from the beginning Better they understand before they schedule you and wind up with a crying patient refusing to go in and demanding their father come in to console them. Yeah, that was me in December when they said I wasn't getting anesthesia for a colonoscopy. And yeah, I'm 23. I wound up just going in after my father's coaxing, the valium or whatever they gave me made me sleep through most of it but the parts I wasn't sleeping I was crying, they probably wished they'd just given me the damn anesthesia.
#10 Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

Megan if/when we do this, could I request one of your kale dishes? I made the kale and pasta you had on your blog and totally digged it. You're like the queen of kale.

nothing wrong with threatening the doctor right from the beginning Better they understand before they schedule you and wind up with a crying patient refusing to go in and demanding their father come in to console them. Yeah, that was me in December when they said I wasn't getting anesthesia for a colonoscopy. And yeah, I'm 23. I wound up just going in after my father's coaxing, the valium or whatever they gave me made me sleep through most of it but the parts I wasn't sleeping I was crying, they probably wished they'd just given me the damn anesthesia.

That's my primary Kale recipe. lol. I make it all the time. I guess I also make Garlicky Kale with tahini sauce from Vegan with a Vengeance... or just throw it into things. I'm sure I could figure something out!

The doctor I'm seeing wanted to do fentinyl and valium, but I got really sick last time I was sedated with that... so I don't know what's going to happen. If he'll premed me with nausea medicine I might go for that again since I know it knocked me the hell out for a long time and I want to be completely gone for this.

#11 Old 06-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love to go! Almost any weekend is good for me. I need some veggie friends.
#12 Old 06-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I'd love to go! Almost any weekend is good for me. I need some veggie friends.

Yay! That's 4! What part of the state are you in?

If we do settle on a weekend... and hold it in Albany, I could also invite vegetarians from another board that shall remain nameless... just to get more food on the table and veg*ns in the room!

#13 Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Yay! That's 4! What part of the state are you in?

If we do settle on a weekend... and hold it in Albany, I could also invite vegetarians from another board that shall remain nameless... just to get more food on the table and veg*ns in the room!

I'm near Utica. So about an hour and half from Albany. I think inviting vegetarians from another board would be great. The more vegetarians the better!
#14 Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm near Utica. So about an hour and half from Albany. I think inviting vegetarians from another board would be great. The more vegetarians the better!

I've been to Utica! So it sounds like Albany would be the central location for everyone thus far.

Is there a weekend in July that would be good for everyone? I work at my co-op on Saturday from 12-3, though I could change that if needs be. Sundays I am always free.

#15 Old 06-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm in the capital district too. I'll have to start working on a tasty recipe which is also portable.

There is a vegetarian meetup group in this area, but they usually meet at restaurants. I don;t think they've done potlucks yet.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#16 Old 06-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I'm in the capital district too. I'll have to start working on a tasty recipe which is also portable.

There is a vegetarian meetup group in this area, but they usually meet at restaurants. I don;t think they've done potlucks yet.

There is and I know the people who run it from the co-op, but they always hold meetups on weeknights and i can never go on weeknights, and the cost of the meal is always way more money than I can afford to spend on one meal, especially considering that I don't eat a ton and I know I wouldn't eat $25 worth of food.

#17 Old 06-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I would love to join in as long as I can find someone to drag with me (like my daughter, Heather). She's a trooper.
#18 Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I would love to join in as long as I can find someone to drag with me (like my daughter, Heather). She's a trooper.

Of course! I can't believe I missed you in Boston last summer. In my own defense, I totally had heat stroke. lol.

#19 Old 06-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Of course! I can't believe I missed you in Boston last summer. In my own defense, I totally had heat stroke. lol.

I know! Especially considering we were in the SAME hotel!! I blame that on the "shy" factor on my part. Heat stroke or not, I should have just totally barged in to say hi!
#20 Old 06-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I know! Especially considering we were in the SAME hotel!! I blame that on the "shy" factor on my part. Heat stroke or not, I should have just totally barged in to say hi!

I might have been in a tepid bath sipping vitamin water, but I could have grabbed a towel or something.

Ah well, we'll just have to try again this summer!! I'm actually in Westchester now. I was on Long Island earlier in the pouring rain standing outside for 2+ hrs.

but anyway... yes.. come to potluck, bring child.

I'm going to pick a date at random if no one starts expressing preferences.

#21 Old 06-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

The beginning/middle of July is good for me. I am busy the weekend of the 26th. What about everyone else?
#22 Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I should have mentioned that as of right now, any date should work for me.
#23 Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

In July I am busy the weekend of the 12th and 25th. Any other weekend would be fine. August 11th weekend I'm also booked. Otherwise, I'm good.

I can bake cake. I make good cake.
#24 Old 06-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

How about Sunday, July 20th? That gives us a little over a month to plan.

I don't know what the vegetarian/vegan divide is among us, but could we have it all vegan to be accommodating to everyone? Or would that be too tough for those who don't usually cook vegan?

I make some *****in' vegan ice creams and sorbets Nykoelle could make the cake and i could make the ice cream

#25 Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually cook vegan, so thats no prob for me. I also bake better than cook :P...but i will conjure whatever up!

July 20th seems kewl to me, of course like i said, my health can be a hindrance at a moments notice...but otherwise it works!
#26 Old 06-17-2008, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

So far so good...I can bring a main dish/side dish other than dessert. Not sure what, though. I usually draw a blank whenever I have to make something to bring somewhere. Not sure why since it's not like I'm not cooking every day and eating good food.

I could make some eggplant, or lettuce wraps, or fried rice/tofu...or all three...and I do vegan.
#27 Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

July 20th sounds awesome. Soon as we find out how many are coming I'll figure out how big a cake. I can make a side dish of sorts too. Any other dietary needs? gluten free?
#28 Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

July 20th, vegan dishes...perfect. I just got to come up with something to make. I totally suck at cooking but I'll try to find a recipe thats simple that I can't mess up.
#29 Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

July 20th, vegan dishes...perfect. I just got to come up with something to make. I totally suck at cooking but I'll try to find a recipe thats simple that I can't mess up.

There's always a nice fruit salad or crudité and hummus!

So what's our count so far?

I'm going to put me down for 2, considering my bf lives in the house too, and it'd be mean to kick him out. haha.

Karenlovessnow + good sport daughter Heather

nykoelle

LucidAnne

+/- Tom

#30 Old 06-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There's always a nice fruit salad or crudité and hummus!

So what's our count so far?

I'm going to put me down for 2, considering my bf lives in the house too, and it'd be mean to kick him out. haha.

Karenlovessnow + good sport daughter Heather

nykoelle

LucidAnne

+/- Tom

Great ideas! Thanks. Add me to the list also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page