New York Albany Potluck - July 20th - 2PM - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Great ideas! Thanks. Add me to the list also.

Haha I'm sorry. I quoted you and somehow that put you on the list in my brain. I'm only half this dippy IRL.

List is:

fadeaway1289

rabid_child (megan) + mr. rabid_child (brett)

Karenlovessnow + good sport daughter (heather)

nykoelle (meg)

LucidAnne

+/- Tom

Of course everyone is welcome to bring friends/family, just keep us posted for the head count. I thought I might invite a friend of mine who's been moving towards a veg*n diet (draw her further into the dark side ).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I will be bringing... someone. Either the BF (brian) or a good friend. Someone.

you should list what people intend on bringing too so yknow, we don't have 4 cakes and no protein
#33 Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

I will be bringing... someone. Either the BF (brian) or a good friend. Someone.

you should list what people intend on bringing too so yknow, we don't have 4 cakes and no protein

Oh man.. Meg and Brian and Megan and Brett. That'll be cute. lol.

I was thinking if I can get Brussels Sprouts in July... I'd make the Braised Seitan with Kale and Brussels Sprouts from V'con, since you requested some Kale and I've been wanting to try that recipe. (I make some good homemade seitan too!) So, that'd be a protein/main dish.

Also perhaps some vegan ice cream, since I've got the ice cream maker, and it comes out super yummy!! And there is nothing wrong with 4 desserts!!

Do we want someone to bring paper goods too? I probably have enough dishware to be environmentally friendly about it, as long as everyone could volunteer to wash a few dishes when we're done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

paper goods are always good. There's some eco friendly ones at my healthfood store. I'll check them out and let you know.
#35 Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good! We'll also need beverages if the cooking impaired want to take that on!

#36 Old 06-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Sounds good! We'll also need beverages if the cooking impaired want to take that on!

I'll sign up for bringing the beverages. Any requests? I'll also bring a fruit salad or fruit kabobs. I'm glad you're making seitan. I've seen your blogs and you're like the queen of seitan!

BTW, I was just in Albany on Sunday to meet up with a friend and went to Little Anthony's for lunch. I don't think you're fond of it but I love the place. Although I wanted a seitan philly cheesesteak and they were all out. I also checked out an asian market there (got some rice papers and vegan jerky). We wanted to go to the co-op but weren't sure of the hours.
#37 Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'll sign up for bringing the beverages. Any requests? I'll also bring a fruit salad or fruit kabobs. I'm glad you're making seitan. I've seen your blogs and you're like the queen of seitan!

BTW, I was just in Albany on Sunday to meet up with a friend and went to Little Anthony's for lunch. I don't think you're fond of it but I love the place. Although I wanted a seitan philly cheesesteak and they were all out. I also checked out an asian market there (got some rice papers and vegan jerky). We wanted to go to the co-op but weren't sure of the hours.

I'm a water drinker myself, so I'll leave beverage choices up to the other folk

I'm just against Little Anthony's because it made me horribly sick. I haven't been brave enough to try again. It tasted fine... just... ugh...

The co-op is open M-Sat 7am - 8pm, Sunday 9am-7pm. If anyone wants to, we can take a field trip to the co-op before our potluck. It's got a pretty good selection of veg*n stuff!

#38 Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Beginner

I don't post here much (spend more time on a vegan board) but LucidAnne told me you were planning an ALB meeting! We would to come meet more veg-heads (we are in Albany!). It would be me and my two friends (all vegan) if you'll have us

(LucidAnne can vouch for our awesomeness and veg cooking skillz)

eta: i also have an icecream maker, so if you want to have a couple rollin', i can totally bring it! i can cook whatever foodstuffs to bring.
#39 Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baypuppy View Post

I don't post here much (spend more time on a vegan board) but LucidAnne told me you were planning an ALB meeting! We would to come meet more veg-heads (we are in Albany!). It would be me and my two friends (all vegan) if you'll have us

eta: i also have an icecream maker, so if you want to have a couple rollin', i can totally bring it! i can cook whatever foodstuffs to bring.

Yay! Come! The more the merrier, and hey if LucidAnne is vouching for you, you're cool with me! I didn't even know there were more VBers in Albany. You can call dibs on whatever you want to make since we've only just started to plan foodstuffs. That brings us up to a dozen folk. This oughta be great

I'll PM everyone the address and my phone number when it gets closer to the potluck.

#40 Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Beginner

yay, cool! i've been on here for a while but was more active in the past. you know, the cycles of madness boards go though. i found a different board that was having less "trouble" than VB was back in the day. I can't vouch for how things are now, being MIA for the most part, but potlucks and other vegheads do call my name!

i will consult with my posse on what we'll bring.
#41 Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

can i? can i really?

ok, yes i can. the ALB crew is hella cool.

and they make awesome meetz and cheezes!!
#42 Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting all excited This should be heaps of fun! I hope it's not too hot that day. Our air conditioning is quite limited. We do have a front porch though we could sit out on, or a small yard, so I'm sure we'll manage.

Maybe this should have come up sooner -- does anyone have any special dietary restrictions? Gluten-free? Food allergies? Anything else we should keep in mind?

#43 Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Beginner

ohh, exciting! i told Cammers and DR and they are also excited.

Food issues:

Cammers: vegan, no food allergies (indeed, he eats everything vegan)

DR: eats everything

Me: vegan, allergic to raw pineapple (cooked okay)

LA, does this mean Cams and I should bring the meatz and cheezes tray around again?

Rabid, what part of ALB are you in? I'm near SUNY Downtown/St. Rose.
#44 Old 06-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Food issues:

LA, does this mean Cams and I should bring the meatz and cheezes tray around again?

Whoa. Good to know. I was going to make a fruit salad or fruit kabobs with fresh raw pineapple. Will definetly eliminate the pineapple now .
#45 Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Food issues:

Me too Are you my neighbor? If I've had a vegan neighbor all this time and didn't know it I'm gonna be right pissed. I'm guessing you shop at the co-op... I wonder if I've seen you around. I cashier on Saturdays.

My foodstuffs outside of animal things are... onions and I don't get along unless they're cooked within an inch of their lives... but I also don't mind removing them myself, as long as people don't mind me picking through my food. I'm also sensitive to MSG and sulfites... but that isn't usually an issue with home cooked food.

#46 Old 06-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

If you guys are in the same hood...im kicking you both!!

I say "yay" to the meetz and cheezes! but thats just me.

I dont really do well w/ lots of raw onion or lots of beans. But i will make do and pay for it the next day willingly.

Im gitten soooo excited! I just really hope i am in tip top shape to make it! *thats me getting fit.*
#47 Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

If you guys are in the same hood...im kicking you both!!

I say "yay" to the meetz and cheezes! but thats just me.

I dont really do well w/ lots of raw onion or lots of beans. But i will make do and pay for it the next day willingly.

Im gitten soooo excited! I just really hope i am in tip top shape to make it! *thats me getting fit.*

Based on the neighborhood, we are walking distance from each other. You'd best wear your kickin' boots.

Well you're coming to the right place for a belly ache, I'll tell you that much. I have my own pharmacy of belly remedies from peppermint tea, flat coke and ginger hard candy, to OTC things like pepto bismol, imodium, and antacids, to prescription anti-emetics and proton pump inhibitors! I also have pressure point bracelets, regular and reliefband electrified one. Ahh the life of the digestion challenged.

#48 Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm the 'special needs' one when it comes to allergies

all nuts and bananas. Bananas are evil, even the smell makes me itch. I had fried something or another at an asian restaurant and they must have used the same batter on a fried banana because my throat started to close. Nuts are less lethal, but still a no no.

Any requests for what kind of cake? I do a great devil's food, but can do just about anything.
#49 Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm the 'special needs' one when it comes to allergies

all nuts and bananas. Bananas are evil, even the smell makes me itch. I had fried something or another at an asian restaurant and they must have used the same batter on a fried banana because my throat started to close. Nuts are less lethal, but still a no no.

Any requests for what kind of cake? I do a great devil's food, but can do just about anything.

Are you nut allergic that nothing can have nuts? Or that anything that does have nuts should be clearly marked as such with no cross contamination of utensils and things?

Any kind of cake is good cake as far as I'm concerned!

#50 Old 07-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

cross contamination is only an issue with banana. Nut allergy is that I just can't eat nuts. I prefer to not inhale peanut butter either but it doesn't hurt me heh.
#51 Old 07-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

cross contamination is only an issue with banana. Nut allergy is that I just can't eat nuts. I prefer to not inhale peanut butter either but it doesn't hurt me heh.

I'll provide note cards so everyone can label their dish and clearly label if they contain any bananas or nuts.

#52 Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Whoa. Good to know. I was going to make a fruit salad or fruit kabobs with fresh raw pineapple. Will definetly eliminate the pineapple now .

if you want, you can put it on the side. i'm okay around them as long as they don't go in my mouth. and then all i get is bad mouth pain, so it isn't like i die

i got a msg from RC and am pleased to announce we live in the same hood--only a few blocks apart even. heh heh, you can all now be jealous.

i want to bring a pie or two, because i went to the xmas tree store and got a TON of $1 pie shells (and they are all natural - what is that brand, something mills?). gram cracker flavor. i'll do a chocolate pie. and maybe a lemon creame pie. but i also got some AWESOME things i want to decorate cupcakes with, so i'm torn.

i'll have to think about other dishes and consult with DR and Cams. he will be sad to know his default, never fail to bring it banana bread will not be making an appearance.

do we have a time for this event? i'm soo excited i can't handle it. other veggies!!
#53 Old 07-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

if you want, you can put it on the side. i'm okay around them as long as they don't go in my mouth. and then all i get is bad mouth pain, so it isn't like i die

i got a msg from RC and am pleased to announce we live in the same hood--only a few blocks apart even. heh heh, you can all now be jealous.

i want to bring a pie or two, because i went to the xmas tree store and got a TON of $1 pie shells (and they are all natural - what is that brand, something mills?). gram cracker flavor. i'll do a chocolate pie. and maybe a lemon creame pie. but i also got some AWESOME things i want to decorate cupcakes with, so i'm torn.

i'll have to think about other dishes and consult with DR and Cams. he will be sad to know his default, never fail to bring it banana bread will not be making an appearance.

do we have a time for this event? i'm soo excited i can't handle it. other veggies!!

I think I'm going to bake cookies and make ice cream and turn them into ICE CREAM SANDWICHES! I haven't decided on flavors yet... probably chocolate chip cookies with vanilla... but then I was thinking gingerbread cookies with vanilla... then maybe mint chocolate chip cookies with mint chocolate chip ice cream... We're going to be overloaded on desserts. Awesomeness. If all goes well we could do this more often, thus have more opportunities to share our cooking skillz with those who really appreciate them

I was thinking, time wise, maybe around 2 or 3? That way people coming a ways don't have to leave too early, and it won't run too late for getting home again.

#54 Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Beginner

awesome. so far, it looks like we will be eating lots of dessert! heh heh.

i have from friends from vegweb (LA - foofie) in sch who might be interested in coming. i've met him but not his sister, who is also vegan. very nice! i wanted to make sure it was okay to spread the word before doing so.

i think i'll make a batch of the pomagrant bbq sauce in VWAV. because that stuff is THE BOMB and i need a reason to make it again.
#55 Old 07-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

If there's crazy many desserts, I can make salads instead of cake. I do a killer slaw (beet and cabbage slaw, trust me, its delic) and pasta salad and whatnot.
#56 Old 07-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

awesome. so far, it looks like we will be eating lots of dessert! heh heh.

i have from friends from vegweb (LA - foofie) in sch who might be interested in coming. i've met him but not his sister, who is also vegan. very nice! i wanted to make sure it was okay to spread the word before doing so.

i think i'll make a batch of the pomagrant bbq sauce in VWAV. because that stuff is THE BOMB and i need a reason to make it again.

I'm planning a "main dish" as well.

Your vegweb friends are welcome too. You'll just have to be the go between to let me know how many, and help coordinate foodstuffs between the boards! The more the merrier IMO. We have a pretty good sized house, and chairs for the front porch, and a small yard... so.. I'm not worried about space! I opened the invite to the PPK as well, but no one responded. I'll just get some "HELLO MY NAME IS..." stickers or something so everyone knows who everyone is and where from and such.

That pomegranate BBQ sauce does look good. I haven't made it yet. I've wanted to make the mango tofu too. I make an awesome Jerk tofu.... but that'll have to be for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokelle View Post

If there's crazy many desserts, I can make salads instead of cake. I do a killer slaw (beet and cabbage slaw, trust me, its delic) and pasta salad and whatnot.

I'm not entirely sure that there is such a thing as too many desserts. Your slaw sounds yummy too. I'm sure whatever we come up with, there will be a good spread! Less main dishes means more room for said desserts

#57 Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, there can hardly be too many desserts! Just dont forget tupperwareto take home some leftovers!!!

Ill try to stick w/ a main or side dishes, since there are alot of desserts. Not sure what i can do yet (it depends alot on how im feeling and how much energy i have to cook)... but im thinking casserole or a non-green salad type dish.

RC...would it be possible to reheat things in your oven??
#58 Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

yeah, there can hardly be too many desserts! Just dont forget tupperwareto take home some leftovers!!!

Ill try to stick w/ a main or side dishes, since there are alot of desserts. Not sure what i can do yet (it depends alot on how im feeling and how much energy i have to cook)... but im thinking casserole or a non-green salad type dish.

RC...would it be possible to reheat things in your oven??

Yes of course! My oven/stove/microwave/blender/toasteroven/kitchenaid stand mixer/anything else I have in my kitchen are all available for use by anyone who wants to use them!

#59 Old 07-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Beginner

i have a card table and folding chairs i can bring also (set of four). i'll post an invite over on vegweb and PM a couple people who might be interested. that is what i love about veg*n community -- we're always like "the more the merrier!" just let me know if the chairs, etc need bringing or if you can use some help with setup or other "local peoples" issues.

LA has a good point - whenever we have get togethers on vegweb, we always bring TONS of food and tupperware so that we can take home each other's foodstuffs and eat for the next day or two. this works well with desserts, so i don't think there will be too many!

i will be the liazon between the boards, except LA will manage herself :P
#60 Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i have a card table and folding chairs i can bring also (set of four). i'll post an invite over on vegweb and PM a couple people who might be interested. that is what i love about veg*n community -- we're always like "the more the merrier!" just let me know if the chairs, etc need bringing or if you can use some help with setup or other "local peoples" issues.

LA has a good point - whenever we have get togethers on vegweb, we always bring TONS of food and tupperware so that we can take home each other's foodstuffs and eat for the next day or two. this works well with desserts, so i don't think there will be too many!

i will be the liazon between the boards, except LA will manage herself :P

I guess I could also, y'know, join another veg forum to keep up on both.

Maybe on tables and chairs... Usually what we do for parties is shove the dining room table against the wall and use it and out side table as buffets and put chairs around the room wherever they'll fit. We could probably set up a card table on the porch if people wanted to sit out there. I'd take some extra set up help if you wanted to come by earlier on the 20th, or even the evening before. I'll be around... cooking probably

Did anyone have a time preference, btw? I proposed 2 or 3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page