New York - Page 13 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#361 Old 04-01-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeies View Post

Hey New Yorkers,

I'm moving to Hoboken NJ next month, (Not quite NYC but as close as I can afford.) Forgive me for not reading all 35 pages of this thread for this info, but I want to ask you where your favorite veggie eats are in the city. I can't wait until I am a path train ride away from it all!

The path train is awesome!

I drove to Hoboken, park and get on the train for $1.50 and am in the city in unfder 12 minutes! IT is awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 Old 04-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrylove View Post

Well...VP is one that I chose not to go to. I think I put a post up somewhere as to why, but I will explain quickly.

I called to make a reservation and the person that answered was a B&*ch with a CAPITOL B! I wol dnot believe they way she spoke to me. They do not take reservations, WHICH I DID NOT KNOW, and was very cocky and arogant with me.

Like I metioned in my thread, I have no toleranc for that. I could care less why she was like that. If she was having a bad day, someone else treated her like poo..whatever the case..IT IS NOT MY PROBLEM. I work to hard and long everyday to have someone treat me like that when I AM CALLING TO GIVE THEM BUSINESS! Trust me, when I go to a restaurant that has what I like, they get ALOT of money from me. VP was not going to get anything from me. I am sure their food is good, but I will never know. There is too much competition around to settle for them.

Dragon Fly was absoultely awesome!

That sucks! I don't blame you. I can't stand rude people. There were only men working there when I went. They were nice enough. I wish that didn't happen, you really missed out on some fine veg dining.
#363 Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post

Barry! What about Vegetarian Paradise, silly!

Where are you moving from? Are you in NJ now? Red Bank (exit 109) has Down To Earth. That is my favorite Jersey place. Red Bank in general is awesome!

I used to live in the red bank area. I've been to Down to Earth many times. Its great. Right now I'm in clifton (not too far from the city) but I haven't had the chance to explore the veggie places to eat in the city. When I am right there I intent to check out as many places as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#364 Old 04-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

barrylove
Quote:
Well...VP is one that I chose not to go to. I think I put a post up somewhere as to why, but I will explain quickly.

I called to make a reservation and the person that answered was a B&*ch with a CAPITOL B! I wol dnot believe they way she spoke to me. They do not take reservations, WHICH I DID NOT KNOW, and was very cocky and arogant with me.

Like I metioned in my thread, I have no toleranc for that. I could care less why she was like that. If she was having a bad day, someone else treated her like poo..whatever the case..IT IS NOT MY PROBLEM. I work to hard and long everyday to have someone treat me like that when I AM CALLING TO GIVE THEM BUSINESS! Trust me, when I go to a restaurant that has what I like, they get ALOT of money from me. VP was not going to get anything from me. I am sure their food is good, but I will never know. There is too much competition around to settle for them.

Dragon Fly was absoultely awesome!

Dragonfly is owned and operated by the same family as Vegetarian Paradise, as is Red Bamboo

http://www.vp2-nyc.com/index.html
#365 Old 04-02-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

barrylove

Dragonfly is owned and operated by the same family as Vegetarian Paradise, as is Red Bamboo

http://www.vp2-nyc.com/index.html

Didn't know that ....So they end up WINNING!

What can I say, I tried to 'SHOW THEM!'
#366 Old 04-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

It is time that vegans and near vegans (veganoids) owned and operated our own restaurants, and when dining out, showed a preference for places that are owned and operated by veganoids, rather than settled for places that are owned by flesh-eaters, but that catered to the now economically significant segment of the market, veganoids. If we weren't economically significant, all these meat-eaters wouldn't have their marketing experts telling them to make restaurants to cater to the veganoid demographic.

Besides which, the menu at both of these "vegetarian" restaurants look like refuge for self-hating vegetarians with their menus that are homage to meat-eating. It looked like 95% of the items had some kind of mock-meat in it.
#367 Old 04-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Not to mention that I get a migraine from mushrooms and too much yeast-containing food, and virtually every one of their dishes contained mushrooms.
#368 Old 04-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeies View Post

Hey New Yorkers,

I'm moving to Hoboken NJ next month, (Not quite NYC but as close as I can afford.) Forgive me for not reading all 35 pages of this thread for this info, but I want to ask you where your favorite veggie eats are in the city. I can't wait until I am a path train ride away from it all!

I live in NYC most of the time and Hoboken some of the time and I find Hoboken just as expensive as the city, in almost all areas. You must have found some good deal on a place to live.
#369 Old 04-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

I still can't find anything on vegetarian paradise's menu that I can eat. Can someone find me something i can eat?

Something with no meat, no mock meat, or at least doesn't taste like meat, nothing fried or sauteed, no mushrooms, no bread yeast except small amounts in bread, where bread does not form a huge part of the meal, no nutritional yeast (often used to flavor sauces). Onions or garlic must be used in moderation if at all. No vinegar. Of course no alcohol.

How can I go into such a restaurant and not have to get a complete list of what is in any sauce, to make sure there aren't too many onions, or nutritional yeast?

i had the same problem at zen palate. When I went their, I could not get a list of ingredients for anything. Interesting that most omnivore restaurants seem more willing to supply vegetarians with some attempt at a list of ingredients, than most veg restaurants, who seem to usually limit their replies to "don't worry, no animal ingredients." Really? Do you really trust that sauce to have no chicken broth in it? Esp if the "vegetarian" restaurant is run by omnivores, or owned by omnivores, or both?
#370 Old 04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Soilman... maybe you should not eat out?
#371 Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

"Soilman... maybe you should not eat out?"

Maybe vegetarian restaurants should start catering to vegetarians.

And where are the restaurants that make mock cooked carrots, made out of calve's liver? And mock chikpea hummus made out of chopped chicken flesh? For people who like the taste of plants but want to help the economy by supporting the cattle industry and the chicken factories?
#372 Old 04-04-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:

"Soilman... maybe you should not eat out?"

Maybe vegetarian restaurants should start catering to vegetarians.

And where are the restaurants that make mock cooked carrots, made out of calve's liver? And mock chikpea hummus made out of chopped chicken flesh? For people who like the taste of plants but want to help the economy by supporting the cattle industry and the chicken factories?

I have been following your posts and although I WISH we had ONLY vegan restaurants everywhere, I regretfully accept that this is not reality.

Do I wish that not one single animal on this earth is never hurt or killed for the 'comforts' of humans, HELL YEAH! Is this reality, HELL NO. Does this suck, HELL YEAH!

Being UPSET at the WORLD becasue it is not how YOU WANT IT is never going to get US anywhere. If you cannot accept that a omnivore serves mock meat, then please don't go there. As mentioned in many threads, the most recent with Toms brand, maybe it is OK for the 'bad' companies and people to show that vegan products are out there and they are indeed good not only for us, but for the environment. Would I rather have it differently, you betch ya, BUT we have to all step back and face the friken reality of this crazy world. It will never be what we want it to be, but it is getting so much better.

Like PETA, they are great in many, many ways, but when we go around screaming and being ANGRY and causing harm, our cause will go nowhere! People will start to shut us out.

My advise to you, as was mentioned by someone else, stay home if you can not be satisfied and 'RELAX', you seem angry at the world and ready to explode!
#373 Old 04-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

Barrylove, I am not going to omni places and telling them how angry I am that they don't do things the way I like -- that is what PETA does. I am coming here, to a veg place, and telling you how angry I am that you are acting like meat-eater wanna-bes.

You write " maybe it is OK for the 'bad' companies and people to show that vegan products are out there and they are indeed good not only for us, but for the environment"

By making mock meats, full of unknown ingredients, there is no way for me or you to know how good these things are for us. For all we know, they contain excessive amounts of vegetable oil, or are cooked in oil at high heat generating carcinogens. On such a diet, you might end up in worse health than on a balanced diet containing moderate amounts of meat that has been baked or steamed rather than fried or grilled.

If you want to show people that veg foods are better for their health, you had better start serving foods that you know what they contain.

For all I know, these foods are not really even veg. We are depending on their word. They don't inform the public of the ingredients. I'm sorry, but I think sitting down to a meal produced by omnis and trusting that it is vegan, and healthy, is naive. It makes veg*ns look like naive fools who can easily be led around by their appetites, their still-existing desire for flesh. Whether it is true that we like the taste of flesh or not, it communicates to omnis that we like the taste fo flesh. It suggests that veg*nism is a fad, based on opposition to the dominant method of living, rather than a real way of living, in its own right.

I'm not saying you should never have fun with food, and occasionally make a veg dish that says "animal" on it. But to do this over and over, meal after meal, day after day, as the norm, rather than as an amusing exception, say perhaps for halloween, informs people that veg*nism is a temporary fad.

Would I eat mock severed human head on halloween -- sure -- but only if no attempt was made to make it so realistic that people really begin to believe they are eating a human head. Same way I would eat a cookie in the shape of a fish. But when you make it look almost exactly like a piece of meat, and have people saying "it tastes just like meat," and be happy about it, then something is wrong. You don't hear people saying that fish-shaped cookies taste just like fish.

This continual focus on mock meats is especially bizarre to those of us who have been brought up by veg parents, and been lifelong veg's, and who don't even know what a chicken mcnugget tastes like, or a sirloin steak tastes like.

In other words, I am not saying you shouldn't do it once in a while for a bit of fun, like for Halloween fun. But to do it over and over, in earnest attempt to really imitate animal flesh -- that is different, and that is what is going on, that I decry.
#374 Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Barrylove, I am not going to omni places and telling them how angry I am that they don't do things the way I like -- that is what PETA does. I am coming here, to a veg place, and telling you how angry I am that you are acting like meat-eater wanna-bes.

You write " maybe it is OK for the 'bad' companies and people to show that vegan products are out there and they are indeed good not only for us, but for the environment"

By making mock meats, full of unknown ingredients, there is no way for me or you to know how good these things are for us. For all we know, they contain excessive amounts of vegetable oil, or are cooked in oil at high heat generating carcinogens. On such a diet, you might end up in worse health than on a balanced diet containing moderate amounts of meat that has been baked or steamed rather than fried or grilled.

If you want to show people that veg foods are better for their health, you had better start serving foods that you know what they contain.

For all I know, these foods are not really even veg. We are depending on their word. They don't inform the public of the ingredients. I'm sorry, but I think sitting down to a meal produced by omnis and trusting that it is vegan, and healthy, is naive. It makes veg*ns look like naive foods who can easily be led around by the nose, and worse, by their still-existing desire for flesh. Whether it is true that we like the taste of flesh or not, it communicates to omnis that we like the taste fo flesh. It suggests that veg*nism is a fad, based on opposition to the dominant method of living, rather than a real way of living, in its own right.

I'm not saying you should never have fun with food, and occasionally make a veg dish that says "animal" on it. But to do this over and over, meal after meal, day after day, as the norm, rather than as an amusing exception, say perhaps for halloween, informs people that veg*nism is a temporary fad.

Would I eat mock severed human head on halloween -- sure -- but only if no attempt was made to make it so realistic that people really begin to believe they are eating a human head. Same way I would eat a cookie in the shape of a fish. But when you make it look almost exactly like a piece of meat, and have people saying "it tastes just like meat," and be happy about it, then something is wrong. You don't hear people saying that fish-shaped cookies taste just like fish.

Lets not forget that we are talking about what restaurants to eat at when traveling....correct?

How many people are going to live this lifestyle by going to these places everyday for every meal? Probably zero.

People are asking for places where they can go to hopefully enjoy a vegan meal when they are in town.

Also, mock meat is a great idea when you are dining with omni friends. I of course hate when I go to a chinese restaurant when I am traveling and am forced to order 'Duck'. I HATE IT! At least 8 of my friends have gone vegetarian because of the introduction to mock meat.

I understand your wants, and most people probably do, but what I cannot understand, from all of your comments, is that you seem to feel there is nothing positive out there for us. We cannot change the entire world in one day or one year. This needs to be done positively and productively.

As far as 'taking their word for it', that is trust and we can only do our best to accept their word. If we feel they are lying, we just simply do not go there.

If possible, can you provide us VBers with something positive that you feel is happening in the world or just here in the USA with vegetarianism/veganism? Honestly, I feel you will be fighting to come up with something positive.
#375 Old 04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned

Here is a restaurant which has a tremendous selection of vegan dishes that don't have any mock meats in them.

http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/menus/index.html

Just click on the menus choices across the top of the page.

There seem to be a number of these across the country. Yet no-one seems to rave about them at veggieboards. Y'all come here and rave about the mock-meat restaurants.

Although why they would choose to call the pumpkin seeds in something or other pumpkin seed "emulsion" I don't know. Next, instead of tomato "sauce," they will be serving tomato emulsion. Oh well.

And yes, I call one of my potato dishes "half-mashed" potatoes.
#376 Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

As a life-long veg*n, soilman, I can understand your dislike for mock meats. But as a reformed omni, I can also tell you that it made the transition way easier for me and my family. It's what made my children enthusiastic about making such a huge change and also showed their friends that it's not about giving up what you love. If you are going to eat meat, let it not be at the expense of an animal. I think that's great! My 16 year old did not want to go veg until I showed him he could do it and still eat "meat". My sister, who thought I was "depriving" my family when we went veg, is now veg herself (and so is her son) after eating a few mock meat meals. What I found is that the longer we're veg, the less mock meat we use, but I still like it when the mood hits. In short, I think it has helped and encouraged many omni's to make the positive change to veg*nism, and for that, I salute! Hooooray for humane meat!
#377 Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

As a life-long veg*n, soilman, I can understand your dislike for mock meats. But as a reformed omni, I can also tell you that it made the transition way easier for me and my family. It's what made my children enthusiastic about making such a huge change and also showed their friends that it's not about giving up what you love. If you are going to eat meat, let it not be at the expense of an animal. I think that's great! My 16 year old did not want to go veg until I showed him he could do it and still eat "meat". My sister, who thought I was "depriving" my family when we went veg, is now veg herself (and so is her son) after eating a few mock meat meals. What I found is that the longer we're veg, the less mock meat we use, but I still like it when the mood hits. In short, I think it has helped and encouraged many omni's to make the positive change to veg*nism, and for that, I salute! Hooooray for humane meat!
#378 Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Is Albany central NY?

I consider central NY Syracuse region...
#379 Old 04-09-2006, 12:20 PM

Here are the things I don't eat because my eye starts to twitch and my little toe hurts when I do: Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Soy. When will veg restaurants start serving food I can eat? It must not contain any of the four food groups, cost less than $0.50, and deliver to my door within 48 seconds.

For real though, I thought VP2 was outstanding, and ZEN Palate was good as well. GOBO was way to expensive for what you get and Better Burger was great.
#380 Old 04-15-2006, 05:39 PM

what do you guys think about Zen Palate?
#381 Old 04-16-2006, 02:00 AM

ZEN Palate was pretty good, the dining room was pretty expensive for what you get. I hear the cafe is better.

VP2 is better by far. The Hot & Sour soup there is untouchable.
#382 Old 04-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

I ordered edamame and rice at Zen Palate. The rice was cooked very nicely. The edamame was undercooked (I couldn't easily pop the beans out of their shells) and had a dreadful texture and flavor.

I asked my waitor what the ingredients were in several dishes, and he said he didn't know and couldn't find out.
#383 Old 04-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Beginner

i went to pongal (http://www.pongalnyc.com/) the other day and got the dosa masala - it was AMAZING!! DF and i got there right as they opened on saturday, and w/in 30 minutes it was full! he's an omni and he got the same thing and loved it too - we were VERY happy.
#384 Old 04-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

For anyone living in the Capital District (Albany area)... Little Anthony's Pizza on Central Ave now serves pizzas with vegan mozzarella and vegan "meat" toppings. I personally had a pizza with vegan mozzarella, broccoli and black olives. It was pretty good!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#385 Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Beginner

if any of you are in the rochester area (specifically geneseo), you should come check out lunahsea (http://www.lunahsea.com). it's a fantastic little restaurant on main street in geneseo. on friday nights there is an open mic night (strictly acoustic) for musicians/poets/people who want to rant.

#386 Old 04-24-2006, 09:06 PM

Hey...

Does anyone know a good bakery where I can get vegan cake? Like birthday cakes? I know about Whole Earth, but I also read that they were being forced out. (?) Thanks so much!

BB
#387 Old 04-25-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budtkaboy2000 View Post

Hey...

Does anyone know a good bakery where I can get vegan cake? Like birthday cakes? I know about Whole Earth, but I also read that they were being forced out. (?) Thanks so much!

BB

I am not sure where you are from, nut Vegan Treats makes large cakes for MANY restaurants in New York. Maybe you can go to one of them and buyt he whole thing or ask them to order an etra one and you pay up front. You will not regret having a vegan Treat -TRUST ME!

www.vegantreats.com has a list of restaurants on the website.

You can always call Vegan treats and ask them o drop one off for you at the restaurant. It is worth a shot!

Good Luck!
#388 Old 04-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

*edited*
#389 Old 04-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrylove View Post

I am not sure where you are from, nut Vegan Treats makes large cakes for MANY restaurants in New York. Maybe you can go to one of them and buyt he whole thing or ask them to order an etra one and you pay up front. You will not regret having a vegan Treat -TRUST ME!

www.vegantreats.com has a list of restaurants on the website.

You can always call Vegan treats and ask them o drop one off for you at the restaurant. It is worth a shot!

Good Luck!

i just saw their website the other day! it's lust! i'm in lust!!!
#390 Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlghiagrl View Post

i just saw their website the other day! it's lust! i'm in lust!!!

I hope it works out!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page