New York - Page 11 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#301 Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

Thought I'd jump in because of my ties with NY and the fact that I'm 45 minutes from manhattan..

45 minutes from Broadway... that was a George M. Cohen song. Remember? from Yankee Doodle Dandy.

...>>>Hey I grew up on Long Island. Freeport and East Islip.

My mom had to move to Albany for her job.

I live in the greater DC area right now. I'll be going to Albany for Thanksgiving. We plan on hitting a comedy club Friday night Called Funny Farm at the Fireside Restaurant in Gloversville.

Anyone in the Albany area? I would love a get-together on Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 Old 11-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Banned

Vegan Street Vendor wins second prize in Street Vendor competition.

http://streetvendor.netfirms.com/pub...51021224336800

Quote:
Thiru Dosa Man Kumar

Washington Square South at Sullivan Street

The food is the best damn street food in town. The fresh made dosas are healthy, still relatively cheap, delicious, and just filling enough for a good sized lunch or light dinner. Thanks to this man, I have given up on cooking altogether during the school year (when I take classes around Washington Square Park). The vendor, himself, is a friendly, good human being. I heart him.

He's the nicest vendor I've ever met. He'll make everything exactly how you want it. If you're cashless he'll even give you food on the house. He only uses olive oil to make the food. He's supportive of vegan diets (since he only sells vegan food). He works rain or shine and always has a smile on his face. He isn't just a vendor -- he is a role model for us all.

Another quote...

Quote:
Thiru Dosa Man Kumar known for his vegan dosas and samosas, Thiru is not just a vendor, he is a role model for us all. More importantly, he serves the best damn street food in town, according to his customers. Thiru Kumar is at Washington Square South across the law school.

...I've eatin his Dosa's. They are really good.

Pretty impressive for a vegan vendor to win second prize.
#303 Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Heyyyy I'm gonna be home from school the week between Christmas and New Years. Anyone wanna get together in NYC and do lunch/dinner?

... Jes?!? I'm looking in YOUR direction as well wherever you are?!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#304 Old 11-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Heyyyy I'm gonna be home from school the week between Christmas and New Years. Anyone wanna get together in NYC and do lunch/dinner?

... Jes?!? I'm looking in YOUR direction as well wherever you are?!

I'd like to come along. I regret not joining you the other times.
#305 Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned

The apartment next door to mine is for rent. This is a one bedroom apartment. 2-family house in suburban Shirley, New York, not far from the Hamptons, halfway between Dowling College National Transportation Center and Smith Point Beach. 1/4 acre lot with fenced in back yard having veganic garden, plus shade tree area. Large bedroom. Large living room - dining room. Complete kitchen facilities.

Living-dining-kitchen is a very large 24 feet by 11 feet. Bedroom is 15 feet by 11 feet. Bathroom. Good closet space.

Beautiful light and space, with cathedral ceilings, excellent fresh paint, new energy-efficient windows. Beautiful view looking out over lush veganic gardens (take a look at the bottom photo). Private entrance. William Floyd school district. Driveway for parking 2 vehicles. Excellent public library, supermarket, within walking distance (20-minute walk). $950 per month, includes utilitites (heat and electricity). Security deposit, credit check, and references required. No smoking or pets. Near bus routes to Smith Point Beach, Patchogue, The Hamptons, U of Stony Brook. 1.5 hours by car or train from midtown Manhattan.

Good landlord; very pleasant to deal with. He likes vegetarians. Email me if you are interested, I'll put you in touch with each other.

If you are a vegetarian, and would like to have a vegetarian neigbor who doesn't pollute your air with the aroma of dead animals being cooked, perhaps this may be the apartment for you. However being a vegetarian is not a requirement for renting the apartment.

I am not looking for friends or companions, just good neighbors.
#306 Old 12-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm up for a get-together in NYC
#307 Old 12-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I may go if it's on a weekend. There's a vegetarian Dim Sum place in China Town if anyone is interested...
#308 Old 12-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Transit Strike!

I rode by bike in to work. It was great. 5th AVe was closed, it was the safest ride I've ever had! Excellent!
#309 Old 12-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

I may have to cancel important doctor appointments, because of the transit strike. This really sucks.

Anyone know how long it takes to walk from Penn station to Union Square? Not that I want to take the LIRR in to Manhatten or out, given what I've heard on the news about the LIRR having 3-hour waiting lines outside in the cold.
#310 Old 12-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Transit Strikes are fun! Yay!!!!

This BLOWS!!! I takes me an hour to get out of Long Island City at 7pm at night. People are getting mean and angry now. And red lights? Yeah, they stopped meaning anything...

But, I have to say, my company (www.ozocar.com - check it out - we totally rock!) is getting cars to people and getting to them ON TIME! We have the BEST drivers in New York! :-)
#311 Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

[quote]But, I have to say, my company (www.ozocar.comW - check it out - we totally rock!) is getting cars to people and getting to them ON TIME! We have the BEST drivers in New York! :-)[/quiote]

Sounds wonderful. But I am afraid to ask how much it will cost.
#312 Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
But, I have to say, my company (www.ozocar.com - check it out - we totally rock!) is getting cars to people and getting to them ON TIME! We have the BEST drivers in New York! :-)

Sounds wonderful. But I am afraid to ask how much it costs!
#313 Old 12-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Sounds wonderful. But I am afraid to ask how much it costs!

About $50 from Manhattan to the airport. Depends which one you're going to.

All the cars are hybrids and have Mac laptops, Sirius sattelite radio, and wireless Internet access.
#314 Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

Sounds affordable for the middle class, and not just the rich. A filthy old taxi, with 3 people you don't know, in it, costs about $30 to go from Manhatten to Kennedy or LaGuardia. $20 extra to have personal limo service sounds like a good deal.

I don't want you to invade their privacy by giving names, but without being specific -- are you getting any actors, including famous actors, who need to go back and forth from their plays, including Broadway plays, to their homes or hotels? Do you ever take people to and from the Hamptons? The Hamptons is 10 minutes east of where I live. I sometimes see limos going to or from the Hamptons, stopping at Montauk Hwy stores to pick things up.

How do you do the maintenence on the vehicles. Do you do any yourself Do you farm it all out?
#315 Old 12-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

Yay! the transit strike is over!

Location? Restaurant? I prefer all-vegan restaurant so I don't have to ask lots of questions.

Oh by the way, I debate different subjects while I am eating, from those I debate when I am hungry. Like who makes the best taro rolls or something, rather than what to feed the family cat. In fact, I never discuss cat food while I am eating.
#316 Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

I am going to be in Manhattan tomorrow, if anyone wants to meet me.

I'll be arriving at Penn Station and be available in the Union Square area in the early afternoon.

I could meet you all at Zen Palate.
#317 Old 01-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Beginner

ooh i sat my butt at home for the strike bay ridge brooklyn to rock center? so not worth it! ha! course, that was a temp job . . . i need a new job now.
#318 Old 01-26-2006, 07:56 PM

Hey

Anyone from the Canton area? Or the Rochester area?
#319 Old 02-01-2006, 02:47 PM

I have a short trip to New York coming up, can anyone recommend some vegan friendly restaurants around W29th and Seventh Ave?

Thanks in advance.
#320 Old 02-04-2006, 01:54 PM

Zen Palate is a really great vegan restaurant (my favorite). Empire Szechuan is a really good Chinese Restaurant, even though it has meat dishes it can pretty much replace anything with a meat substitute. Ever have vegetarian sesame chicken? yum
#321 Old 02-04-2006, 02:14 PM

Thanks Zombie, I look forward to the vegetarian sesame 'chicken'.
#322 Old 02-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Beginner

moshe's cart wasn't where it usually is last week OR the week before. on 2 separate occasions, i walked 12 blocks each way from work for some fab falafel, only to be sad afterwards one of the fruit cart guys said he's been gone. anyone seen my moshe?
#323 Old 02-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

There hasn't been a NYC meetup in awhile. Is anyone interested?
#324 Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlghiagrl View Post

moshe's cart wasn't where it usually is last week OR the week before. on 2 separate occasions, i walked 12 blocks each way from work for some fab falafel, only to be sad afterwards one of the fruit cart guys said he's been gone. anyone seen my moshe?

hi... i just moved to NYC recently... who's this moshe, and where's his cart? thanks!
#325 Old 02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Banned

Wow, it has been a dream of mine to visit NYC. I was gonna visit in 2002, the terroist attack happened in 2001 so, I was kind of scared to go. Haha. If i'm able to go one day, i'm gonna do it. How does it feel sol live in NYC? I live in Mississippi. Just wanted to say hi to yall. Take care. Bless ya.
#326 Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

I'll be in Manhatten on Feb 21, if anyone wants to meet me for lunch, coffee, etcetera.
#327 Old 02-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

Anyone know how long it takes to walk from Penn Station (Madison Square Garden), down 34th St, to Second Avenue? I'm counting 7 "blocks." ??

What is it, about 4000 feet, 3/4 of a mile, 45 minutes?
#328 Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Anyone know how long it takes to walk from Penn Station (Madison Square Garden), down 34th St, to Second Avenue? I'm counting 7 "blocks." ??

What is it, about 4000 feet, 3/4 of a mile, 45 minutes?

I'd say it would take about 15 minutes, 20 at most.
#329 Old 02-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

Thanks Kimberly.
#330 Old 02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Beginner

ahh sorry soilman - was busy at my dull-as-anything temp job

any one know of any veg*n friendly ob/gyn's in B'lyn/Manhattan?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page