New York Orange County Sheriff Having K-9 Taken Away, Please read! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is the story:

Hunter is a 7 year old german shepherd. He has been a member of the Orange County Sheriff's Office K-9 since 2003. At the age of 5, Hunter was taken away from his first handler and given to his second handler. During the transition, Hunter experienced emotional trauma and was taken to his vetinarian who recommended nuetering and a canine behavioralist/psychologist. Now Hunter has developed a bond with his new handler and has found happiness in his new home.

In April of 2009, Hunter was diagnosed with progressive heart disease. He has served his department for 6 years. His K-9 handler is moving on to another police department and requested Hunter be retired to live as a pet for the remainder of his life.

After being refused, the handler offered to pay for a new police dog at FULL COST. The Office still plans on taking Hunter away from his current handler and placing through the police academy for the THIRD TIME. It is unfortunate that Hunter is being used as a pawn as a way for the Office to make and example and get thier retribution toward the handler.

Hunter is going to be forced out of a loving home in order to be worked to death by the Orange County Sherifs office.

Please join this group and tell your friends. Please contact the Orange County Sherifs department and tell them what you think.

http://www.orangecountygov.com/orgMa...ryTypeID=&sid=

Phone: (845) 291-4033

Email Form: http://www.orangecountygov.com/orgMa...m=contact&sid=

Also:

-Average age of retiremnt for a working dig is between 8-9 years old

- In the past, a K-9 Deputy was fired and allowed to keep his 3 year old healthy working dog.

Hunter is very sick, please help, I would really appreciate it! Time is of the essence!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have any documented sources for this information? Is the officer in question available to answer questions?

I'd love to help if I can, but I'm not keen on doing so based on a few paragraphs I read on the internet.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

The owners of Hunter are good friends of mine, I was around when Hunter was diagnosed with Heart Disease and when they were dealing with all the emotional problems he had when they first got him.

Do you live in the NY area? If you have News12, they showed the story last night. I'm working on getting a clip of the program so I can share it with everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately the link doesn't go straight to the report. You have to be a subscriber to one of the listed cable companies (none are in my area, live in AZ) or pay $4.95/month to view it...

Do you know if there are any other stories about Hunter on a network station or in the newspaper that is viewable online?
#6 Old 10-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6X8t1TQRiU

It is also linked on the group's facebook page, which has much more updated information. If you can help in anyway...well, you have NO idea how grateful I will be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page