New Mexico No Chipotles!! Anything similar??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM

So I recently discovered there are NO CHIPOTLES or Qdobas in the entire state of New Mexico!!! I LOVE Chipotle and don't know if I can survive without it. If you don't know what Chipotle or Qdoba are, think of them as Mexican Subways, but instead of getting what you want on a sandwich, you get what you want on a burrito.

Is there anything like this at all in New Mexico? I plan on moving to Albuquerque (I'll be there the first week of March looking at apartments!!!), but I'll travel outside the city for a New Mexican version of Chipotle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, check out Baja Bumblebee Grill and Empire Burritos. We have a TON of Mexican restaurants here, but most of them are New Mexican restaurants which serve a different style of Mexican food from what Qdoba and Chipotle are. Don't worry, you're not going to lack for Mexican.
#3 Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM

I'm in ABQ right now--found an apartment today, YAY--and ate at Baja Bumblebee Grill!! The bean and rice burrito was almost like one from Chipotle--just needed more salsa in it! And I LOVED that it had a salsa and chip bar!! I'm moving down here at the end of April! Can't wait to check out the city and hopefully find some vegan friends along the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

most pic quicks at least in my part of the state have santa fe grills in them, which is like a huge burrito resturant (as in the burritos are huge)
#5 Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Something tells me you're going to develop a taste for Mexican foods the way the Mexicans (and New Mexicans) do it and forget all about Chipotle and other chains.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesira View Post

I'm in ABQ right now--found an apartment today, YAY--and ate at Baja Bumblebee Grill!! The bean and rice burrito was almost like one from Chipotle--just needed more salsa in it! And I LOVED that it had a salsa and chip bar!! I'm moving down here at the end of April! Can't wait to check out the city and hopefully find some vegan friends along the way!

Looking forward to having you in town, Kesira. Be sure to check out the Nob Hill Area, especially up and down Silver and Central streets, between Yale and Carlisle. You were in that area when you went to Bumblebee's.
#7 Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Something tells me you're going to develop a taste for Mexican foods the way the Mexicans (and New Mexicans) do it and forget all about Chipotle and other chains.

Forget about Chipotle? HA! Never!!!
#8 Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Looking forward to having you in town, Kesira. Be sure to check out the Nob Hill Area, especially up and down Silver and Central streets, between Yale and Carlisle. You were in that area when you went to Bumblebee's.

Yeah, that looked like a cool area! I think that's where we passed a vegetarian place--don't remember what it was called.
#9 Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, that looked like a cool area! I think that's where we passed a vegetarian place--don't remember what it was called.

Annapurna Chai House (Very Good)

Fei's Cafe (Highly recommended)

Twenty Carrots (Nothing to write home about and they do serve chicken there.)
#10 Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Annapurna Chai House (Very Good)

Fei's Cafe (Highly recommended)

Twenty Carrots (Nothing to write home about and they do serve chicken there.)

Ha! I just went to 20 Carrots! They veganized I want to say the southwest breakfast burrito? for me and used tofu instead of egg and omitted the cheese. I thought it was funny that on the menu AND in the window, they have a sign that says 'vegetarian cookies'!! I have never heard of a NON-VEGETARIAN COOKIE!!
#11 Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Now that's very cool that they will substitute tofu for egg! Try Fei's Cafe one day for lunch. You were only two doors down from them.
#12 Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have never heard of a NON-VEGETARIAN COOKIE!!

Keep your eyes open and you will see them. They do exist.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, Skylark! Come visit Albuquerque.
#14 Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Keep your eyes open and you will see them. They do exist.

Seriously? What's in them to make them not vegetarian? Lard or something?
#15 Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Seriously? What's in them to make them not vegetarian? Lard or something?

Lard or Beef fat. Not real common, except maybe in biscochitos. Always ask. Most cookies have egg anyway.

Are the "vegetarian cookies" that were being advertised the ones from ABC Bakery with that funny looking cartoon guy eating a cookie on them? Those are actually vegan and really good for packaged cookies. (That's more a West Coast thing than a New Mexico thing though.)
#16 Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 PM

In the window, they had a 'vegetarian cookie' sign, and on the menu it said something like'vegetarian/vegan' or 'vegetarian or vegan' cookie. The only cookies I saw there WERE the ABC Cookies, which are delicious, but waaaay to expensive for ONE COOKIE!!

Okay, so I had Empire Burritos today. Good, but still not nearly as good as Chipotle. I think I liked Baja Bumblebee Grill better than Empire, but Chipotle is better than both of them...

And I got this ADORABLE silver cat necklace in Old Town ABQ!! It's not vegan-related, but I love it and am excited about it.
#17 Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hey, Skylark! Come visit Albuquerque.

You know I would love to, travel nut that I am, but for now I'll just have to put Albuquerque on my "List of places to consider when I next have the money to make the time to travel."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page