New Mexico - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#61 Old 01-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Sararie, there are two different CSA's here in ABQ. One is Los Poblanos Farms. I love their stuff. The other is called ERD I think,though I cannot remember what it stands for...Los Poblanos has a good website to check out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

What do you need to know?

Small - artsy - pretty isolated - hot in summer

Is it very vegan friendly? It is not a cow town, is it?
#63 Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

That I'm not sure about - the demographic should be pretty vegan-friendly, but whether it's big enough to actually provide options, I don't know. Haven't been there myself, just lived in the southern NM for many years.

A quick google search doesn't seem to encouraging. There's a co-op grocery, but didn't see anything positive in restaurant listings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Well, if I get the job, I hope its a fun place to live. Never lived in NM, so its worth a shot.
#65 Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Beginner

Froggythefrog

Thank you for all your recent (Nov) postings here. I will be moving to Abq at the end of next summer, and the list of restaurants will be very helpful. I've spent a lot of time in Abq, but I pretty much have only eaten at 20 Carrots. They're great, but it'll be nice to have more options.

Invictus
#66 Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Looks like I am moving to Hobbs, NM in the next month or so, then on to Silver City in May or so. I'd rather stay in Colorado, but such is life.
#67 Old 01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Enjoy my birthplace, Ducati. (Hobbs)
#68 Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Enjoy my birthplace, Ducati. (Hobbs)

What can you tell me about Hobbs? Will I have to learn to chew tobacky?
#69 Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Hee Hee.... I know little about it, except that they have a place where you can choose what goes into your stirfry, so with some adjustments, you can make it vegan (I think I had to opt out of their sauces entirely).

Everyone has a Texan accent, and you might learn to chaw, but they're fairly metropolitan for being in that corner of the state. Don't get me wrong, the town looks tiny to me, but it's not the "gas station" town that most of the towns around there seem to be.
#70 Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I visited Hobbs a couple times, some years ago. It felt depressing; an old oil town on the decline. Very bleak.

Sorry.
#71 Old 01-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

That's the general atmosphere of that corner of New Mexico. It's been like that my entire life (except it seemed they had a lot more oil drills when I was a kid.) I usually go down that way to visit my folks.
#72 Old 03-02-2007, 08:53 AM

Hi. I'm moving to Albuquerque and am a vegetarian who is transitioning to veganism (I'm there on food, but I'm wearing out my shoes, etc.). Can you suggest some employers who might be more vegan friendly than others in that area? Thanks.
#73 Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Employers? What do you do for a living, Bapace?

If you're just looking for an odd job, Annapurna is a mostly vegan restaurant that may or may not have openings.
#74 Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM

Hiya -- I'll check out the restaurant. I've done a little of everything

Marketing manager (creating materials, not sales)

Magazine editor/writer

Newspaper photographer/writer

Computers (database development; some Enterprise)

Document control (setting up and maintaining electronic filing systems)

Human resources

Display design

Some accounting (Invoicing, general Accounts payable, general accounts receivable)

Office manager

I've worked for engineering and insurance companies for the last few years. In Indiana, where I live now, they tend to be less friendly to "alternative lifestyles" like veganism, so I'm looking for a company where I'm likely to find interesting folk, as work is usually the first place you meet folk when you move to a new city. The actual "job" is less important than the environment. (My husband is older, and he's starting a second career there-- I'm glad to move, as I grew up in the west and love it.)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, and I look forward to any others.
#75 Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

bapace; froggy also heads up a Vegetarian Meetup group http://vegetarian.meetup.com/420/ that gets together monthly for potlucks, hikes, other stuff. I think they went to the Petroglyphs a few weeks ago and I'm SO jealous...

Even while job-hunting, you could check that out, as a way to meet people in the area.
#76 Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're just looking for an environment where people are open-minded to vegans, I don't think you will have a lot of problem. Though they tend to be deep in the woodwork, there are a lot of vegetarians here. I get jokes and a little ribbing at my software engineering job, but when it comes to gatherings and whatnot, I am taken care of.
#77 Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look up the vegetarian meet up group once we get moved. The petroglyphs sound cool; what a great idea!
#78 Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Now that each state has its own forum I'll be closing the state threads. Please continue any discussion by starting a new thread in this forum. Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page