New Mexico - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 12-22-2004, 04:09 PM

So, it's been a while since anyone's posted. How is everyone? I am watching "Whale Rider" I watched it yesterday. It's really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Check out the Albuquerque Coop. The Coop is a grocery store, much like Wild Oats, Whole Foods, or Farmer's Market. The unique thing about coops, though, is that they are owned by the community (us) and you get part of the ownership with a yearly membership fee (currently $12). Whenever the Coop makes a profit, you earn a return on that profit porportional to the amount of money you spent at the Coop for that year. The Coop features a lot of products from local sellers, such as locally grown produce or local brands, such as Blue Sky. This has the effect of supporting our local businesses, and providing produce that has not been shipped long distances. (You will, out of necessity, find products there that are not local, however.) The Coop has regular meetings which all Coop members are welcome to attend. As owners of the company, we have a say in how the stores are run.

(By the way, I think the location on Candelaria and Rio Grande has the coolest employees. The web site has highlighted that it is one of our main concerns to give these employees "livable wages.")

Check out the website here: http://www.lamontanitacoop.com/
#33 Old 12-24-2004, 05:17 PM

I have been to a couple coops, they are really cool. My mom shops there all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

albuquerque, northeast heights here...though i like to think of us as north campus area. lol another good organic alternative is los poblanos organics or erda. they're both local csa's that charge a fee for a weekly harvest box. we love los poblanos...hi fellow nuevo mexicanos...
#35 Old 03-15-2005, 03:26 PM

I like New Mexico. All the snow we got yesterday gave us a snow day today. YAY!!

I like snow days.
#36 Old 03-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd like it so much better if I did not have a leaky roof and people here knew how to drive in it. Last night was so pretty though! I love the magical glow of winter on a snowy night!
#37 Old 03-16-2005, 08:12 AM

Last night was frickin' COLD! My mom and I went and saw Spanglish. It was a good movie. But it was cold. No snow day today. I am sooooooooo tired right now. I need a nice nap.
#38 Old 05-12-2005, 03:09 PM

Finally, the weather is starting to perk up. Hear the birds chirping, see the grass growing. New Mexico is so nice in the summer. I love all the flowers growing everywhere. And all the baby animals are soooooooo cute!
#39 Old 08-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in Deming, sadly. It's horrriblee.

Big retirement community. lol
#40 Old 08-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Of course most restaurants here in Albuquerque know a little about preparing vegetarian and vegan dishes, but there is a place I would love to recommend for a quick lunch:

Santa Fe Peppers, located at Montgomery and The [email protected] (near Singer), while *NOT* traditional New Mexican food will make vegetarian or vegan burritos that include brown rice, black or pinto beans, guacamole, a variety of salsas, etc, etc., etc.

It is owned by a vegetarian couple who are very cool. They do serve meat, but at least they are knowledgable enough about your diet not to serve you meat.
#41 Old 09-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i wish it would rain :/

it was raining in hatch the other night but not here. blllah
#42 Old 10-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Buenos dÃ*as Nuevo Mexicanos!

I am coming to visit your lovely state in just 3 days, 16 hours and 32 minutes (not that I'm counting...).

So? What should I see? Where should I go? What should I do?

(Oh, wait, never mind, I have my own private tour-guide already )
#43 Old 10-11-2005, 03:51 PM

I will be in Santa Fe for a yoga & art retreat in Nov and I'm exited. It's my first time there. I'm hoping the places we eat at have plenty of vegan options.
#44 Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey there residents of New Mexico! I'm helping a 5th grader with her state report, and I was wondering if anyone has any local photos, brochures, magazine/newspaper articles, or other NM-related stuff they would be willing to mail to California. We've already requested some sort of publication from the tourist bureau, but she could probably a few other items to put in the report. (It's supposed to include a chart, graph or map, so state-related data (population, temperatures or ?) would really be helpful.

I'd be happy to send you something in return, just let me know items from California you'd be interested in. Thanks for any assistance with this!
#45 Old 02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

karenm, what is your deadline for needing things? i will look around. i may have some brochures, maps etc. tell me when and i'll see what i have.
#46 Old 02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

karenm, what is your deadline for needing things? i will look around. i may have some brochures, maps etc. tell me when and i'll see what i have.
#47 Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks peacecat!!! She has to have various portions of the report checked off periodically, but the final report isn't due until April. It's an ABC-style report, where each page highlights some important fact about the state that starts with a different letter of the alphabet. (By the way, my deepest thanks go to whoever is responsible for having the X Prize Cup in New Mexico!)
#48 Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

okay, i'll start looking around/
#49 Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Clovis (by Cannon AFB) if you could think of anything she might want/need from here. Anyone know of any good places for food/organic fruits and veggies around here? The closest I seem to have found is a few little stores in Lubbock. Nice little drive, but, kinda boring and they don't have all that I am looking for. I've even looked into mail-order, but noone seems to do it to small town usa.
#50 Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

sararie, I'd be happy to swap a non-perishable food of your choice from California for some NM news articles or whatnot. We have lots of Asian markets, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods. PM me if you think of something and we can arrange a trade.

Does anyone have any idea what is behind the NM state motto? Crescit Eundo (It Grows As It Goes)?!? Is there some background story, or even an explanation of what "it" is?
#51 Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

STATE MOTTO:The New Mexico state motto was first used in 1882, when acting Territorial Secretary, William G. Ritch, added the Latin phrase Crescit Eundo to an early 1860's version of the territorial seal. In 1887, Ritch's version of the seal, including the words Crescit Eundo, was adopted by the legislature as part of the official New Mexico Territory seal and coat of arms.

When New Mexico became a state in 1912, the Legislature appointed a commission to settle on a design for an official "state" seal. As it turned out, the seal recommended by the commission and adopted by the Legislature was almost identical to the territorial seal and included the words Crescit Eundo.

The Latin phrase, Crescit Eundo, can be translated as "Increases as it goes" or, more commonly as New Mexico's motto, "Grows as it goes."

The phrase is taken from Book VI of Lucretius' epic scientific poem De rerum natura, (On the Nature of Things).

Chapter 12, Article 3 of the New Mexico Statutes

The coat of arms of the state shall be the Mexican eagle grasping a serpent in its beak, the cactus in its talons, shielded by the American eagle with outspread wings, and grasping arrows in its talons; the date 1912 under the eagles and, on a scroll, the motto: "Crescit Eundo." The great seal of the state shall be a disc bearing the coat of arms and having around the edge the words "Great Seal of the State of New Mexico."

History: Laws 1887, ch. 70, § 1; C.L. 1897, § 3798; Code 1915, § 5422; C.S. 1929, § 135-101; 1941 Comp., § 3-1301; 1953 Comp., § 4-14-1[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

I'm sure you have allready looked it up and found that though it's all I have. I heard that they are trying to change it bc they see it as an embarrasment to be put on the state quarter. i like it and agree with the woman who said that it means that there is always "room" to expand our hopes and future. If you've ever been to our area of NM you would understand. my hubby and i wondered the same thing, so we looked it up.
#52 Old 03-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

What is Las Cruces like? It came up in the top three when I took the "Find Your Spot" quiz.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#53 Old 04-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew up in Las Cruces. The first thing to think about is that it is very hot in the summer (over 100 for weeks sometimes). It is a pretty friendly, low-stress place to live: few traffic problems, lots of sunshine and big beautiful skies. It has most services, businesses, shopping, etc, you need, although not too many specialized things to do. (The closest to an organic market, I believe is a small co-op that has mostly packaged things and a Trader Joe's.)
#54 Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll be moving to Albq from Clovis early next year...are there any good stores/restaurants/or even a csa (or something similar)?? I'm excited bc Clovis is so little and am hoping that the options will be better for us in the albq/santa fe area. It's just a little frightening too bc it is so much bigger and I'm sure a bit harder to find things. we just know that most things aren't in town here. LoL thanks for any help!
#55 Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my... I did not see your post until now sararie! Yes, there's actually a lot for Albuquerqueans and Santa Feans. Albuquerque has more than its share of HFS's, both the small, locally owned kind like Keller's, as well as the larger kind like Wild Oats, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, and my favorite because I am a member: La Montanita Coop.

There are a lot of good restuarants for vegetarians too:

Annapurna is Ayurvedic Cuisine.

The Green Light Bistro is a hodge podge of good food and good coffee.

I've never been to Fei's, which serves vegetarian Chinese food.

I've never been to La Sirigitu, which serves a variety of vegetarian sandwiches and other goodies.

Places that are not fully vegetarian but cater to us well, include:

Twenty Carrots Cafe

Huong Thao Vietnamese Cuisine

Orchid Thai Cuisine

Santa Fe Peppers

Nothing But Noodles

The India Kitchen

Dos Hermanos, though you need to give them specific instructions and order the veggie tortilla.

Einstein Bagels has hummus.

No shortage of stuff for us.
#56 Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I got on here, because I want to plug my Meetup Group. If you're a Vegetarian in Albuquerque, unless you're at the University, you might have had trouble finding the rest of us. There are a lot of us.

I've just launched a new Meetup.com group for vegetarians in Albuquerque and its surrounding areas called Albuquerque Vegetarian and Vegan Group. As our first meetup, we're going to be having a Potluck on January 6th, 2007. If you're going to be near Albuquerque, you should come join the fun!

You can find out more at: http://vegetarian.meetup.com/420/
#57 Old 11-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

If you live in New Mexico, another group you should check out is the Vegetarian Society of New Mexico at www.vsnm.org. I went to their Thanksgiving Potluck and someone brought a Tofurkey. Need I say more?
#58 Old 11-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks thanks! My hubby is from the balt/washington dc area, but after living in clovis for awhile we had forgotten that there truly could be so many positive options available to us. Right now we drive to lubbock to go to their little health food store (mostly for goodies for my daughter (special diet) that I don't feel like cooking) It's nice to know that we won't be so limited. Hubby is an omni and loves the brazilian bbq in albq. have to try and keep him away from there LoL-they have a great salad bar though. I've never had a tofurkey. I assume that is soy and that is another nono for daughter. As it sounds, I am a veg, but vegan bc that is what her diet requires. Thanks again, I will check everything out!
#59 Old 01-11-2007, 11:50 AM

Anyone know much about Silver City, NM?
#60 Old 01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you need to know?

Small - artsy - pretty isolated - hot in summer
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page