VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   New Mexico (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/95-new-mexico/)
-   -   New Mexico The Restaurants in ABQ SUCK!!!! [Bad experience with a couple of restaurants] (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/95-new-mexico/106990-new-mexico-restaurants-abq-suck-bad-experience-couple-restaurants.html)

GhostUser 12-02-2009 11:02 AM

Went to Rasoi this weekend. REALLY REALLY wanted a masala dosa. Got there at like 3:00, apparently they close from like 2:30-5:30. So we came back. And the server says THEY DON'T HAVE MASALA DOSA TODAY BECAUSE THE CHEF'S NOT THERE!!! So is it a big secret recipe that only ONE GUY there knows how to make it????



Went to Empire Burritos for lunch today. They were OUT of peppers/onions AND guacamole. Not going there again.



The few places with vegan options have greatly disappointed me.

lolabunny23 12-02-2009 03:44 PM

If you have a chance, come to Santa Fe. We have SO many wonderful places with vegan options.



This one is my favorite. I eat here so much, and the food is awesome!

http://www.bodyofsantafe.com/body_cafe.html



There are others too, you just kind of have to pick and choose a place but for the most part the majority of the restaurants here are veg friendly. :]

froggythefrog 12-02-2009 05:53 PM

Are you sure you've tried all the places in Albuquerque with veggie options? I don't know what your tastes are Kesira, but I happen to like it here.



You might want to try Santa Fe too, though. It's only an hour away.

Tofu-N-Sprouts 12-02-2009 06:54 PM

Wow. The ALL CAPS seems a bit dramatic for one or two experiences. So the chef was gone. Have you tried going back since? It's very unfair to come here screaming and throwing a fit just because the place couldn't serve you one menu item. I happen to know this particuler restaurant has a whole bunch of vegan options. So choose something else maybe?



Everyone has "off" days, even the restaurant industry. So two places bombed. Is that seriously "all" the restaurants in ABQ? I could list twenty or thirty places that have incredible vegan options right there in Albuquerque but I'm afraid you'd find something you weren't happy about with those either.



Be happy you have options at all and explore a few more of them before trashing the entire town in a tantrum.



For what it's worth, (and you may not cook much so it may not matter) but Albuquerque has more veg*n-friendly grocery stores (Whole Foods, TJs, health food stores and co-ops) PER CAPITA than cities like Seattle, which is considered one of the most veg-friendly cities in the U.S. Where did you live before that you're comparing ABQ to, anyway? Just curious.

froggythefrog 12-02-2009 07:16 PM

Is the masala dosa on Rasoi's menu? I did not see it.

jeneticallymodified 12-02-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Is the masala dosa on Rasoi's menu? I did not see it.



is this the place? http://www.rasoiabq.com/



if so, it didn't come up when i put it in the search function.

froggythefrog 12-02-2009 07:25 PM

That would be the place.

penny79 12-03-2009 05:23 AM

Wow, I think the OP wanted support and to vent. Didn't appear to be a tantrum to me. No reason to be rude to her, in either case. Wow!

froggythefrog 12-03-2009 08:06 AM

I guess I will just point this out and be on my merry way: Albuquerque is a medium-small municipality with a lot of its own things to offer. (You might need to explore the surrounding area to know what I am talking about.). Albuquerque is neither the size nor the exact same culture as Berkeley, Seattle, New York, San Francisco, or Denver. Relative to other towns our size, the number of places that have vegetarian options is pretty good. They may not be tailored to a particular taste, so the other thing I could recommend is making your own masala dosa. With the Internet and Talin Market nearby, you've got everything you need for a mean Indian dish.

GhostUser 12-03-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Wow. The ALL CAPS seems a bit dramatic for one or two experiences. So the chef was gone. Have you tried going back since? It's very unfair to come here screaming and throwing a fit just because the place couldn't serve you one menu item. I happen to know this particuler restaurant has a whole bunch of vegan options. So choose something else maybe?



Everyone has "off" days, even the restaurant industry. So two places bombed. Is that seriously "all" the restaurants in ABQ? I could list twenty or thirty places that have incredible vegan options right there in Albuquerque but I'm afraid you'd find something you weren't happy about with those either.



Be happy you have options at all and explore a few more of them before trashing the entire town in a tantrum.



For what it's worth, (and you may not cook much so it may not matter) but Albuquerque has more veg*n-friendly grocery stores (Whole Foods, TJs, health food stores and co-ops) PER CAPITA than cities like Seattle, which is considered one of the most veg-friendly cities in the U.S. Where did you live before that you're comparing ABQ to, anyway? Just curious.



I did choose something else at Rasoi. We went allll the way there specifically for the masala doas and they didn't even have it that day. Their food is nothing great--prepackaged Indian food tastes the same or better and costs a LOT less. If I could find premade masala dosas here, I wouldn't even go to Rasoi.



I've tried other places. 20 Carrots sucks. Annapurna was nothing great--their "indian" food tasted like crap. Pita Pit's baba ghannooj tastes like hummus. I thought the first time they gave me hummus by accident, but no, it was the same the 2nd time. The ONLY decent place I've found is Baja Bumblebee Grill.



As for vegan friendly grocery stores, I rarely go to them. Whole Foods is waaaay overpriced. Pretty much everything I need I can get at Smith's. I'm not big on the "fake" foods. I occasionally buy vegan cream cheese (at Smith's), vegan block cheese (it's cheapest at Vitamin Cottage), and sometimes the cheese slices (Sunflower is the only place that has them).



I'm from Ohio. And I really think we had better Mexican restaurants there than here. And we had Chipotle. And a place where baba ghannooj tastes like eggplant and not hummus. And an Indian restaurant that NEVER told me they couldn't make a masala dosa that day. And not only did they have masala dosas, they had different kinds.



I'd rather cook my own food than eat crappy and/or expensive restaurant food.

GhostUser 12-03-2009 10:46 AM

I don't know if it's on the menu, but they have the picture of it and it says "Masala Dosa $6" or something right on the window by the door when you walk in, and they have the same thing under that plastic thing on the top of each table.

GhostUser 12-03-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I guess I will just point this out and be on my merry way: Albuquerque is a medium-small municipality with a lot of its own things to offer. (You might need to explore the surrounding area to know what I am talking about.). Albuquerque is neither the size nor the exact same culture as Berkeley, Seattle, New York, San Francisco, or Denver. Relative to other towns our size, the number of places that have vegetarian options is pretty good. They may not be tailored to a particular taste, so the other thing I could recommend is making your own masala dosa. With the Internet and Talin Market nearby, you've got everything you need for a mean Indian dish.



I had more options in a city waaaaaaaay smaller than Albuquerque. My boyfriend says he'll try to make me a masala dosa. And Talin's Indian food selection isn't the greatest.



I thought a real city would have better options, and maybe more of a variety. There's not a single Indian grocery store here, BLAND mexican food.... I really wanna find a decent middle eastern place, but considering how all the other places I've eaten at are here, I'm afraid to go anywhere else.



I'm just saying vegan food in Albuquerque isn't that great. I had better expectations for a big city (well, big compared to what I'm used to). And it's just an okay place to live. I'm ready for someplace better, though.

froggythefrog 12-03-2009 10:52 AM

You don't say where you're from.

GhostUser 12-03-2009 11:13 AM

Akron, Ohio

Skylark 12-03-2009 11:34 AM

You're giving Ohioans a bad name. I'm sorry you had a bad experience in an ABQ restaurant or two, but you've come off as quite vitriolic and dismissive.

Tofu-N-Sprouts 12-03-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesira View Post


I'm from Ohio. And I really think we had better Mexican restaurants there than here. And we had Chipotle.



This statement pretty much says it all.

Chipotle is not "real" Mexican food but chain-store, pre-made, pre-packaged restaurant food. Yes, some of their options are fairly tasty in a generic Americanized-Mexican sort of way...

Apparently you don't know "real" (and VERY good) Mexican food when you're surrounded by it.



Pita Pit is a chain too. Not sure how you can expect a chain store to really have "authentic" recipes? Oh, wait, you think Chipotle's Mexican. No wonder you're confused...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesira View Post

I'd rather cook my own food than eat crappy and/or expensive restaurant food.

Then seriously, why don't you, and quit trashing food and a town and culture you're obviously just very uneducated about and unhappy with...



Furthermore, there at least two Indian grocery stores.

And Talin Market carries things I cannot find in Seattle and Portland.

Akron, Ohio must be a vegetarian paradise. Please don't move to Seattle, it wouldn't make you happy either...

lolabunny23 12-03-2009 02:08 PM

I am from Southern California, and I think Abq and Santa fe has many WONDERFUL vegan options. I don't think it's right for you to put down the whole city of Abq just because a few restaurants didn't meet your standards.



I haven't been to any restaurants in Abq yet, but I am sure there are some great places there.

Here:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...o/albuquerque/



Check that out and see if any of those sound good to you.



And as far as bland mexican food, may I ask what places you've been to? Since I am from California, I am used to authentic mexican restaurants, but I have had NO problem finding AMAZING places here. Although, green chile is my favorite and I could eat it with everything.

GhostUser 12-03-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

This statement pretty much says it all.

Chipotle is not "real" Mexican food but chain-store, pre-made, pre-packaged restaurant food. Yes, some of their options are fairly tasty in a generic Americanized-Mexican sort of way...

Apparently you don't know "real" (and VERY good) Mexican food when you're surrounded by it.



Pita Pit is a chain too. Not sure how you can expect a chain store to really have "authentic" recipes? Oh, wait, you think Chipotle's Mexican. No wonder you're confused...



Then seriously, why don't you, and quit trashing food and a town and culture you're obviously just very uneducated about and unhappy with...



Furthermore, there at least two Indian grocery stores.

And Talin Market carries things I cannot find in Seattle and Portland.

Akron, Ohio must be a vegetarian paradise. Please don't move to Seattle, it wouldn't make you happy either...



READ what I write. I said we have better mexican restaurants. AND we had Chipotle. TWO DIFFERENT SETENCES THERE. I know Chipotle isn't "real mexican". And all I found online were 3 Indian grocery stores, and when I actually went to them they no longer existed.

froggythefrog 12-03-2009 06:32 PM

Dhaka Bazaar and Indopak are both still open, I believe.

SalsaQueen 01-13-2010 10:16 AM

The Empire Burrito guy is awesome! Twice he's given me a bag of free yellow peppers, and he knows what I want when I walk in. =)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.