VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Nebraska (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/93-nebraska/)
-   -   Nebraska (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/93-nebraska/2571-nebraska.html)

Michael 05-11-2003 04:10 AM

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

muppetcow 05-13-2003 11:18 AM

Apparently I'm the only Nebraskan on the boards. **sigh**

inkie 05-13-2003 07:11 PM

Are you sure about that muppet? You can't get rid of me that easy.

muppetcow 05-14-2003 07:59 AM

Inkie!!!! Hadn't seen you for a while!! Hooray!!

Kurmudgeon 05-14-2003 08:04 AM

Nebraska..... that is the BEST name, I love it. About 6 or 7 years ago I talked on the phone to a girl in Nebraska.

I'm in Sydney Australia..... excuse my little intrusion (which was just to tell you what a great name Nebraska is for a state).

muppetcow 05-14-2003 10:03 AM

Well, Kurm, if you love Nebraska, you'll love AKSARBEN! Aksarben is the site for the county fair in the city I live...they used to have a horse track, too, but luckily that has gone away. There's a skating rink and some other stuff there, too.

AKSARBEN is NEBRASKA spelled backwards. Clever, huh?

Truth be told, I'd much rather be in Sidney. *sigh* Someday...

inkie 05-14-2003 05:57 PM

You know, until now, I never knew that Aksarben was Nebraska spelled backwords. Interesting.

jenni 07-17-2003 10:38 AM

it's been months since anyone posted here but i just wanted to drop in and say that my husband and i live in omaha.

muppetcow 07-18-2003 02:49 PM

What?!? There's another Nebraskan on the board? Woo hoo!

jenni 07-18-2003 05:05 PM

two more if you count my husband

jenni 07-19-2003 03:18 PM

so, muppetcow, do you know of any veggie places to eat? we're usually just stuck with mcfoster's since daisy maze closed. mcfoster's is great but they only make so many things, you know?

muppetcow 07-21-2003 10:44 AM

The Dundee Dell has a vegan plate that is really good.

Are you guys vegan or vegetarian? There's tons of good veggie food around, but not a whole lot of vegan. Sgt. Peffer's has a pretty good pasta with pesto that's vegan.

What part of town are you guys in? I don't want to send you downtown for all your meals if you live out in Millard or something.

jenni 07-21-2003 05:14 PM

The smell of fish at the Dundee Dell is just overpowering. I hate that there's not anything else that's mostly veg*n.

We're vegan at home and vegetarian elsewhere so far. We live in Southwest Omaha, close to Ralston. We don't mind going downtown or wherever we need to, though. We go to church in the Dundee Theater and have a couple of friends that work downtown, so we're on that end of town frequently enough.

I've been a vegetarian for 5 1/2 years so I'm well familiar with everything I can eat in "regular" restaurants. I guess we're just trying to take the veganism outside of the house and be able to eat in public. Do you suppose Zio's does pizza without cheese?

muppetcow 07-22-2003 08:32 AM

I've had Zio's with no cheese. Some of the people look at you kind of funny when you order it and some of them don't even bat an eye.

Have you ever gone to the Grainery in Ralston? I'm not sure if it's still open, but it was a health food store with a deli. Wild Oats (as I'm sure you know) has a deli. So does Jane's over in Benson (62nd and Maple-ish).

It's not hard to eat vegan at Spaghetti Works, either. I don't worry about whey or eggs in my bread, so I don't know if their bread is vegan.

Other than that, I don't really know of any places. I was hoping you had some suggestions!!

derivative 07-23-2003 02:29 PM

We've been to the Grainery once. It was pretty cool, but I'd rather do my shopping at Wild Oats for better prices and obviously much larger selection.

The Wild Oats Deli is awesome, but not the kind of place we're looking for. I think Jenni was referring to more of a regular sit-down restaurant.

As for suggestions, I know of a Health food/Veg*n store downtown. It's near the south end of downtown on 12th or 11th street. I can't remember the cross road, though. They have a deli and a small amount of grovery type food, I think. A friend of ours has been there and says the food is pretty good.

muppetcow 08-04-2003 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by derivative

As for suggestions, I know of a Health food/Veg*n store downtown. It's near the south end of downtown on 12th or 11th street. I can't remember the cross road, though. They have a deli and a small amount of grovery type food, I think. A friend of ours has been there and says the food is pretty good.

I think that's Jane's (same as the one in Benson). I was down in the market this weekend and noticed a sign for Jane's on the first floor of one the old buildings that got converted into lofts.

spamari 08-13-2003 07:27 AM

i go to school at creighton, so i am a part time nebraska citizen. it is good to know that there are others out there!

muppetcow 08-13-2003 10:51 AM

Wow! Another one? So cool.

Melissa M 08-13-2003 11:10 AM

My family and I travel to Omaha every year for the College World Series and to Lincoln whenever Baylor plays Nebraska in football. We have made several Nebraskan friends that we keep in touch with throughout the year. So I feel like I'm a part time Nebraskan also.

MorningStarr 08-16-2003 10:10 PM

HEhe I go to valentine a lot does that count? I am looking at a school on Omaha to go to next year!

spamari 08-26-2003 08:17 PM

so i am back at college and realizing how very alone i feel here without knowing any other veg*ns. i was wondering if there were others on this webboard that went to creighton university?

jenni 08-29-2003 05:02 PM

neither of us go to creighton. sorry.

inkie 08-30-2003 08:52 AM

Wow....I leave for awhile and now that I am back, so many Nebraskans. Yay! For awhile I thought we were pretty few and far between.

muppetcow 09-04-2003 10:42 AM

Don't go to Creighton, either. I'm sure there are other veg*ns attending Creighton, though.

spamari 11-20-2003 12:08 AM

so how is everyone doing? no one has posted here in a while, wanted to make sure everyone was alright. so yeah....hi everyone

muppetcow 11-21-2003 03:53 PM

Hello! How is life at Creighton treating you?

spamari 11-23-2003 02:44 PM

it is going pretty welll. i shall not be in omaha for much longer though. next semester i am going to be studying in spain. i am extremely excited!!

how is everyone else doing? anything or noteworthy going on?

muppetcow 11-24-2003 10:50 AM

Going to Spain, eh? That's awesome. Skylark is in Spain right now--you should email/PM her.

Only thing going on right now is that I'm trying to stay warm. Brrrr!

FeldmannRocks 02-27-2004 01:18 AM

hello

sorry.. just had to say hi to the nebraskans.. i grew up in fremont - moved to california in 2000 so um.. yes.. hello!

MZCsmpsns 05-17-2004 07:26 AM

Nobody's posted here for a while, but just thought I'd say I'm originally from Lincoln, NE. Had lived there basically my whole life till 6 months ago when I moved to WV. (why WV I'll never know...)