Nebraska - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 05-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Hey I live in Lincoln...Just thought I'd say HI to all the Nebraskans...who actually live here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey all! I live on a horse farm north of Colon, NE... (for those of you who have not a clue where that is, it's a few miles north of Wahoo, between Omaha and Lincoln)

Sucks there arent more veg places here in NE (or... more stuff in general). I love the Wild Oats Market, though.
#33 Old 09-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Nebraska..... that is the BEST name, I love it. About 6 or 7 years ago I talked on the phone to a girl in Nebraska.

That's funny... several years ago I talked w/a girl from Austraila on the phone. LOL... Tanya, I think the name was (??? can't quite remember)... but she was from Queensland, I think... funny, though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Hi there everyone! I'm a Kearney vegan. People out here don't even know what the hell a Vegan is. My husband and I made the switch a few months ago. His mom FREAKED out, you know, he's just got to have beef or he'll waste away and die. It's great that I found this forum because I was feeling like the only vegetarian in Nebraska.
#35 Old 06-20-2005, 02:17 AM

wow, its been awhile since anyone posted. thought i would remedy that.

my beau and i live in omaha, full vegans. by the way Jane's moved to rockbrook, but McFoster's and Wild Oats still are the biggest veg places around. i know several other veg*ns in town and have been getting less blank stares as response to the word vegan, we are moving up in the world.

does Lincoln have any veg restaurants by the way?
#36 Old 08-15-2005, 06:21 PM

I live in the panhandle of nebraska and I would like to say you guys are lucky to have any options at all
#37 Old 02-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Wow, I am currently living in the panhandle as well, although we are planning a move to Georgia within a year or so. Mostly because I am tired of my children having to deal with people's backwards well...you know...attitudes about veganism, animal rights, etc here.
#38 Old 02-16-2006, 09:20 PM

hmm.. get away from backwards people living in Nebraska and move to Georgia.. won't it kinda be similar there? If you really want people to accept your veganism, move to Seattle or New York or something. By the way, I live in Lincoln, and sure, there are some backwards people who think I'm crazy, but there are also plenty, like the people I work with, who are totally cool about it, and highly interested.
#39 Old 02-19-2006, 04:20 PM

Yeah Lincoln is a world away from where I am in Nebraska (like 8 hours). There are no other vegs in or around where I am (except for religious reasons).

Moving to Georgia... actually Athens was named one of the top 10 vegetarian/animal friendly cities in America. Atlanta was just recently on a top ten list for the same basic reason ( I believe top veg restaraunts). That's why we are going that way. We really did our research and found an area that offered our whole family a place to belong.

I am from NY and don't want to go back to the cold if I am leaving here. Heading south for sure!
#40 Old 03-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I live right across the river from Omaha in Council Bluffs. I think they have a more moderate approach to Vegitarianism here. I know a few on my street alone. It is only a small minority, but more and more people are going towards organics at least. Most are Vegitarian not Vegan, usually Lacto-ovo, so they have more choices. Many also don't broadcast their choices or belong to clubs or write on boards. Every grocery store I've been in (except for tiny family owned ones) has a small refrigerator section devoted to meat analogues (some better than others)-- Many have health food sections (even the no-frills). There is a great Indian Market, several oriental markets and other ethnic markets where you can get a large variety of vegitarian food. I think a lot of people are truly interested and open to at least being part time Vegitarians-- Then there is the Meat Culture which this town was born on. Well, we cant have it all.
#41 Old 07-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Beginner

Hey everyone!! wow, i didnt think nebraska had a section, must not have looked to closely last time =) im a vegan in omaha.. its lovely.. haha
#42 Old 09-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Hi, I'm from Omaha and I'm an 8-year vegetarian.

How is everyone?
#43 Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I work in Omaha-- Live in Council Bluffs-- yeah we're all over...
#44 Old 09-24-2006, 08:09 AM

I'm curious... I've been looking for a group to join in Omaha or real close by for vegetarians/vegans.

None of my friends are veggie, and so I never get to go out to eat at the places I want to or to try new places, unless I'm ready to go all by myself. Tis a lonely life to be a veghead in the Midwest!

My friends and family are supportive, but understandably not eager to be dragged to McFoster's, or Thai/Persian/Indian/whatever. I need some local veg friends!

If anyone knows of a club/forum/community/organization, it would be much appreciated!
#45 Old 09-24-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leia_amos View Post

does Lincoln have any veg restaurants by the way?

Yes! Lincoln has some veggie restaurants that I've looked up online recently. One is called "Maggie's Vegetarian Vittles", though they change the name to just 'Maggie's'... their website is cool, check it out: maggiesvegetarian.com (check out the online menu... it makes my mouth water!!)

Then there's a place called "Grateful Bread" that says it's vegetarian too, here's the page I found about them from LivinLincoln.com: nebraska.statepaper.com/dguide/index.v?ac=display_est&Est_ID=510

They sound a little like a vegetarian version of Panera.

Mind you, I haven't visited these places yet! But I definitely will!

Jen
#46 Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I got this bulletin and figured I oughta post it here if anyone's interested. I prolly won't make it there (I live in KS) but it's for a good cause so I thought I'd let ya Nebraskans know about it. I dunno if it's against the rules for me to post this or not... (I worry everything I do on here is against the TOS..) If it is I apologize!

Nebraska's own Bootleggers are hosting a canned food drive to help area food banks. Gonna be a great time, with the only cost a canned food donation. With the holidays approaching, food is desperately needed for the food banks. HELP us HELP others! It's worth it!

Mandy Van Laningham will perform at 8:30, a dance team at 9:00 and Bootleggers at 9:30. Where else can you get a great night of entertainment for so cheap?

Come hang with us at the VFW Sat., Sept. 30 in Fairbury, NE.

It's gonna be a don't-miss show!
#47 Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

There was a Vegetarian Meetup in Omaha but it has ended-- the people here seem to want to start one-- you can take the initiative of actually starting the group. Wild Oats on Dodge has a meeting space and is willing to have meet-ups meet-- last time I checked. I believe there is a meetup fee of something like 25 dollars per month-- usually each member pays dues-- the group leader is liable for it though, so if no one comes, it comes out of the leaders pocket. I used to be a group leader, but quit when they started charging the fees because it already costs enough to have a monthly meeting. It works out well if the meetup has a lot of members-- not well if there are only a few.

http://vegetarian.meetup.com/cities/...chapter=closed

Icant do it, I'm a grad student and work full time.
#48 Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

There was a Vegetarian Meetup in Omaha but it has ended-- the people here seem to want to start one-- you can take the initiative of .

I just recently opened a veggie group on Yahoogroups ( free! ), thinking that people would come across it. No luck yet, ;-).

Just look for [email protected] to subscribe if you're interested.

Loren
#49 Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 AM

hehe

I may not be alonein Omaha, just on this thread...
#50 Old 03-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Hey all! I'm pretty new here. I've lived in Northeast Nebraska my whole life. There really isn't much friendliness towards vegetarianism here. Though there are three other vegetarians at my school and I'm friends with them all, which is nice! I'm wondering, do a lot of you get the cold shoulder about being veg? It seems many Nebraskans think beef is an essential part of life. I've been told vegetarians shouldn't be allowed in Nebraska by a few ignorant people.
#51 Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Hey! I'm a Southeast Nebraskan veg! My friends don't really care that I'm a vegetarian, but I see where you're coming from discotechX. When I first started, I got a lot of critisism & jokes from my family. I know the jokes were more light-hearted, but they were really annoying. My mom once said, "when are you going to be normal again?," or something along those lines, but now they've accepted it. *does plant dance* Being a Nebraskan veg can be hard (especially with beef being one of our major money incomes,) but just remember, soybeans are also important to us Nebraskans.
#52 Old 03-23-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotechx View Post

Hey all! I'm pretty new here. I've lived in Northeast Nebraska my whole life. There really isn't much friendliness towards vegetarianism here. Though there are three other vegetarians at my school and I'm friends with them all, which is nice! I'm wondering, do a lot of you get the cold shoulder about being veg? It seems many Nebraskans think beef is an essential part of life. I've been told vegetarians shouldn't be allowed in Nebraska by a few ignorant people.

Mostly from my mother.... She tells me when I dont eat me I get black circles under my eyes. I tell her that's because I lose sleep because of my job. She doesn't listen.
#53 Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised how many Nebraskans there are here at Veggieboards. I live on the outskirts of Lincoln, next to the country (great roads for speeding 110+, lol). There should be, like, a Nebraskan Vegan dating service. That would be the coolest thing ever. In my personal life, I only know a few other veg-heads. I want to meet more.
#54 Old 07-08-2007, 12:18 AM

Hey for those of you who are interested there is a Veggie group on Meetup.com.

peace
#55 Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren-E View Post

Hey for those of you who are interested there is a Veggie group on Meetup.com.

peace

I'm not old enough to use Meetup.....damn.
#56 Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Attention Activists Near the Omaha, NE Area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join us on November 23, 2007 (the day after Thanksgiving) to celebrate Fur Free Friday. At the Old Market, the store Overland Sheepskin Company is responsible for the deaths of thousands of mink, sheep, cattle, foxes, beaver, rabbits, lynx, and a host of other animals for the use of their fur and pelts for coats, home furnishings, and shoes. It's time we speak up and tell them how we feel about fur.

Feel free to bring whatever materials you need to fight for the animals. Some posters, leaflets, and pamphlets will be available to hand out.

Meet new friends, while fighting fur companies.

When: November 23, 2007 from 9:00am to 12:00pm or later

Where: Overland Sheepskin Company (in the Old Market)

1011 Howard Street

Omaha, NE 68102

Contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions or to verify your participation.

Thanks!
#57 Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I caught the "Fur Free Day" post a little late, I'm afraid. Hey, all of us Nebraskans should meet somewhere sometime, just to hangout and talk.
#58 Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 AM

Hello fellow Nebraskans!! Just started up the Omaha Vegan Meetup group!! http://vegan.meetup.com/454/?gj=sj5

Hope there is more Vegans out here in Omaha/Lincoln!!!!!
#59 Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Mia's Bongo Room

If you've not heard about the place, There's a new restaurant in Benson. Mia's has been opne since just this past Christmas, and has a number of Vegetarian and Vegan dishes. They even use tofu, tempeh and seitan in their cooking.

The address is 6113 Maple in the Benson Music district. Phone 402-553-1266.

Pretty good place to eat. I recommend it. Let's get the word out and keep these guys in business.
#60 Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow I had no idea there were this many Nebraskans on this board. I figured I was the only one. I live in Lincoln and love Maggie's in the haymarket for a veg lunch and Grateful Bread on South 17th they have all vegetarian soups. Yum!

That place in Omaha sounds good. I'm actually going to Omaha this weekend and plan on visiting McFosters for lunch but maybe I'll have to check this other place out!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page