Missouri - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Baby Love

... and Michael recommends the lasagna at Eternity Cafe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-24-2006, 05:32 PM

Oh! I had no clue what he was talking about, haha. I Yahoo! mapped it and it's near Forest Park. I'm a poor country boy afraid of the city.. particularly near there. I used to housesit for a professor off of South Grand.. in the first three days alone I had called the cops twice!
#63 Old 06-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Baby Love

Eternity Cafe is in the Central West End (yes, near Forest Park). Its a busy happening place to be. Condos and houses are very expensive. Theres lots of pedestrian traffic and I've never seen visible crime on any of my many visits to the area. Ironically, the science center is in a high crime area. If you can handle working there, you can manage Eternity. Ask the other VBers who've visited. None of us got mugged or kidnapped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 06-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Oh, I watched around every corner at the Science Center! Haha, just kidding; I always got to park in the employee parking lot, which is sort of guarded. Wasn't all that bad, right next to SLU High and all.

Anyway, I'll have to get up the nerve and patience to try it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
#65 Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM

Hello! I'm new on here! I'm from St. Louis, as well. I live in the South Grand area....and I'm looking for more veggie friends
#66 Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yell View Post

Hello! I'm new on here! I'm from St. Louis, as well. I live in the South Grand area....and I'm looking for more veggie friends

I'm in South Hampton. Maybe, I'll run in to you sometime
#67 Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 AM

I just looked on thehappycow and discovered a lot of restaraunts I knew nothing about. I barely ever eat out, but it's nice to know I have options
#68 Old 07-14-2006, 09:06 AM

Has anyone been to Terrene? It's a very expensive restaraunt, but ate there last night and it was INCREDIBLE vegetarian fare. The tofu on a stick was amazing and the seitan was incredible!!!! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fancy night out
#69 Old 07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Baby Love

I went there once and had the tofu on a stick. It was amazing! Mmmmm. ... I hadn't noticed seitan on the menu. Maybe its a new item. I'll have to go back. Thanks for the date idea, though. I'm always looking for different places to take 'the man'.
#70 Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Yes, I've been having intense cravings for the tofu there. INTENSE! The green dragon cocktail was a good one, too. Chai Green Tea Vodka...I did not know such a wonderful thing existed.
#71 Old 12-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Helllo.... anyone there? From Kansas City here looking for non-meating eating friends
#72 Old 12-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep! I'm from KC!

VegKC is the group to be in, my friend.

We have potlucks and meetups every month. It's awesome!

Our holiday potlucks have been HUGE in the past, and we've got one coming up on Saturday.

We've got both vegan and vegetarian meetup sites (It's all the same group, though).

So, what part of KC are you from?
#73 Old 12-15-2006, 06:35 PM

I am in SKC near Raytown. How about you?
#74 Old 12-15-2006, 06:35 PM

#75 Old 12-15-2006, 06:37 PM

whoa sorry pc got stuck
#76 Old 12-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in South KC, near Grandview (about a couple blocks away from the Triangle). There's not a whole lot of vegan-friendly stuff around here, but there is some good stuff on the Plaza, Westport, downtown, and on the Kansas side (and I do a lot of cooking!).

We have potlucks and meetups every month, and it's great!

It's so refreshing to have a group of friends who share the same beliefs about animals and veg*ism... especially in a city that's known for barbecue and steak.

We have veg*ns from all over the place join us every month for our potlucks and meetups. We've even had vegan "celebrities" like Erik Marcus, Farmer Harold Brown, and JoAnn Farb chow down with us (JoAnn and her family are pretty much regulars at our potlucks now).

So, a good variety of people, and good vegan food! What more could a veg*n in Kansas City want?

Edit: Oh, one more thing that VegKC's organizer dude wanted me to add; We're having an all-you-can-eat vegan pizza buffet in January! You're welcome to join us!

And, yes, the pizza has yummy vegan cheese!
#77 Old 12-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Baby Love

Aww. He needs to bring that buffet on over to St. Louis. I want all-I-can-eat-and-thats-actually-a-whole-bunch vegan pizza
#78 Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 PM

Wow...it's been a while since anyone posted here. I'm bumping this up for all to see!!! I live up in Savannah, work in St. Joseph, and go down to KC quite a bit.
#79 Old 06-16-2007, 10:32 PM

I work practically down the street from Eternity Cafe now. I love the food, but, as bad as it sounds, I'm not sure how I feel about all of the profits going to a charity for intercity African American kids. I'm against sex-, gender-, and race-based charities because I don't like how they are limiting and arbitrarily benefit only a segment of the population. So unfortunately I don't think I'll be going there anymore. Too bad, too.. their vegan mac and cheese was the best.
#80 Old 06-18-2007, 05:55 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post

I work practically down the street from Eternity Cafe now. I love the food, but, as bad as it sounds, I'm not sure how I feel about all of the profits going to a charity for intercity African American kids. I'm against sex-, gender-, and race-based charities because I don't like how they are limiting and arbitrarily benefit only a segment of the population. So unfortunately I don't think I'll be going there anymore. Too bad, too.. their vegan mac and cheese was the best.

Would you go there if they kept all the profits for themselves like a typical restaurant?
#81 Old 06-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

All charities benefit only a certain segment of the population, be it based on race, gender, age, even species.

I think it's cool they donate all their profits.
#82 Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Would you go there if they kept all the profits for themselves like a typical restaurant?

Yep. It's the principle of the thing. Maybe I'd be more willing if the organization's products were directly related to their cause. Like I would definitely go there if it went to an animal rights organization. And I can see how a female-product place would give its profits to, for example, a breast cancer research organization. But giving the proceeds to something incredibly unrelated seems sneaky to me.

But, like I said, it's the principle of the thing.
#83 Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

...I'm not sure I'm following.

What's wrong with the profits benefiting someone who needs it?

And if you like their food, you should eat there.

(I agree; their mac & cheese is AWESOME!!!)
#84 Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_VeganVixen View Post

What's wrong with the profits benefiting someone who needs it?

Again, I'm against x-based charities because it only benefits a segment of the population. Saying x deserves the money over y is largely arbitrary. Which is why I'm against charities that go towards population segments including gender, sex, race, orientation, the list could go on. So what kinds of charities would I support? Things like the American Heart Association, where the money goes towards combating heart disease: something that affects everyone. I would also support the American Lung Association, who supports restricting/banning smoking. These issues affect everyone. Not one segment of the population is left out.
#85 Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Baby Love

Eternity Cafe is a restaurant located in the city and owned by a religiously-affiliated group of African Americans. Its hard for me to see them donating proceeds to help inner-city african american children as being sneaky. Veganism is about compassion and the fact that they donate their proceeds to charity makes me feel they are actually living even more fully in to these vegan ideals. A convential restaurant supports animal suffering as well as padding their own pockets. This vegan restaurant not only promotes compassion to animals, but children and the surrounding community. To each his/her own, but to me it seems silly to prefer to punish Eternity Cafe in order not to help kids that need it
#86 Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Eternity Cafe is a restaurant located in the city and owned by a religiously-affiliated group of African Americans. Its hard for me to see them donating proceeds to help inner-city african american children as being sneaky. Veganism is about compassion and the fact that they donate their proceeds to charity makes me feel they are actually living even more fully in to these vegan ideals. A convential restaurant supports animal suffering as well as padding their own pockets. This vegan restaurant not only promotes compassion to animals, but children and the surrounding community. To each his/her own, but to me it seems silly to prefer to punish Eternity Cafe in order not to help kids that need it

Exactly!
#87 Old 06-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Again, I'm against x-based charities because it only benefits a segment of the population. Saying x deserves the money over y is largely arbitrary. Which is why I'm against charities that go towards population segments including gender, sex, race, orientation, the list could go on. So what kinds of charities would I support? Things like the American Heart Association, where the money goes towards combating heart disease: something that affects everyone. I would also support the American Lung Association, who supports restricting/banning smoking. These issues affect everyone. Not one segment of the population is left out.

Understandable, but a good portion of the organizations that focus on specific groups are those that are minorities, and deserve every bit of help that they can get. Most government funded programmes that supposedly support these groups are usually grossly inadequate...which is where the charities come in.

So I support where I can...because I've been in the position of needing the help of some of these charities at various points in my life...and taking a "everyone or no one" approach to me just doesn't make sense.
#88 Old 06-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetdhaney View Post

I don't know why I never posted in this forum before...

But I am also from SKC near Raytown!

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#89 Old 01-05-2008, 01:25 PM

I heard Eternity closed in August `07. Anyone know if that's true?

Also, my wife and I went to Terrene the other day. UNBELIEVABLE! Tofu-on-a-stick (with Thai nut sauce) was DELICIOUS. Frites were AWESOME (came with two sauces!). Veggie burger was spectacular. Wife had a tofu dish that was a bit spicy but wasn't bad. Desserts were yummy. DEFINITELY RECOMMEND!
#90 Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Baby Love

I heard Eternity was closed for remodeling, but not permanently. I'm not sure, though.

Terrenes is awesome! The tofu on a stick is my favorite. I go there specifically for the stuff. Yum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page