Michigan - Page 14 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#391 Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 AM

I see someone from Goodrich posted back in February - anyone else from Goodrich or the surrounding area here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Rockford, MI

Which is just outside Grand Rapids.

Anyone around me?
#393 Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm from SW Michigan but right now I'm in Ohio...I miss the beach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#394 Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Waterford here....
#395 Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM

I'm in belleville now
#396 Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Hi! I'll be moving back to Michigan in Nov. and want everyone's opinion on which city/town to live. I used to live in Utica when I was a kid, and moved away with my family in 1990. I've missed the Midwest ever since. Pretty much my whole family has been born in Michigan since the 1920s, which is when my family came over from Germany and Poland.

I'm playing with the ideas of Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Marquette, Muskegon, etc. at the moment. My brother lives in Sterling Heights, but I'm really not sure I want to live in the southeastern part of the state. I always hear bad things about it. The western and northern areas look really nice, with lots of trees, forests, beaches, etc.

I'm 25, not married, no kids. I have an Associate degree (so far). It's nothing special, just Liberal Arts. I have maintanence/facilities, lab., shipping/receiving, and cust. service experience. I will not have a job upon arrival. I will be looking to rent a room or apartment. I currently live in a master planned community in Texas, called The Woodlands, which is just north of Houston. I really like The Woodlands, I just don't like being in the South with all this heat and humidity for 3/4 of the year. The Woodlands is surrounded by trees, it has a lot of nice shopping and dining, has bike/hike trails, ponds, lakes, it's family friendly and has a relaxed atmosphere, etc. It would be nice to find something similar.

Wherever I move I'll need to be able to live and survive comfortably as a vegan.

So, what does everyone suggest?
#397 Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I say go north! Northern Michigan (lower peninsula) is absolutely gorgeous. Traverse City is great, but it's touristy so would undoubtedly be expensive. Nearby Interlochen is heavily forested and has good hiking, camping, you name it, but I don't know how far from civilization you want to be.
#398 Old 04-29-2008, 01:53 PM

I would say stay in Texas lol. Michigan sucks right now for jobs we are near metro airport and been here since january and still no job it's really bad right now. I would rather be living in texas still honestly, but hubby doesn't want to move back Your right sterling heights isn't the greatest. Belleville is really nice though we live out in the country My cousin lives in lansing and that's a really nice area too.
#399 Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmom View Post

I would say stay in Texas lol. Michigan sucks right now for jobs we are near metro airport and been here since january and still no job it's really bad right now. I would rather be living in texas still honestly, but hubby doesn't want to move back Your right sterling heights isn't the greatest. Belleville is really nice though we live out in the country My cousin lives in lansing and that's a really nice area too.

Nope, not staying here. I've been miserable ever since arriving in Texas. WAY too hot and always too humid. Miserable weather and climate for 3/4 of the year or more.
#400 Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post

I say go north! Northern Michigan (lower peninsula) is absolutely gorgeous. Traverse City is great, but it's touristy so would undoubtedly be expensive. Nearby Interlochen is heavily forested and has good hiking, camping, you name it, but I don't know how far from civilization you want to be.

I agree that it would be the best when it comes to nature, but would I find all my vegan comforts and conveniences there? Where would I find my all-natural organic hygiene items (shampoos, body washes, toothpastes, etc.)? How easy would it be to find organic vegan foods at the grocer's in the northern areas? You get the idea. Plus, I'm only going to be arriving with $4,000 or $5,000. That will have to last me until I find a job, so rent, food, gas, etc. for the first month or two, or however long it takes to find a job.

I also don't want to be somewhere where I'll be the only vegan or vegetarian. I would like to be able to find a few veg*an friends and have the opportunity to find a veg*an girlfriend and possible future wife. :-D
#401 Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM

We lived in the dallas area, but went down to houston in march a few years ago I think it was & I haven't a clue how those people breathe in that humid thick air. It was killing my allergies. Since we've been in Michigan we have ate fresher veggies here than in Texas, it must be the heat or something, because I don't ever remember having such great produce down there. I have yet to find a vegetarian group in the michigan area maybe there is I hope, because my family sure isn't veg & I'm tired of hearing how picky me and my hubby are. BTW you could always find a girlfriend and convert her like I did with my hubby lol.
#402 Old 04-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmom View Post

We lived in the dallas area, but went down to houston in march a few years ago I think it was & I haven't a clue how those people breathe in that humid thick air. It was killing my allergies. Since we've been in Michigan we have ate fresher veggies here than in Texas, it must be the heat or something, because I don't ever remember having such great produce down there. I have yet to find a vegetarian group in the michigan area maybe there is I hope, because my family sure isn't veg & I'm tired of hearing how picky me and my hubby are. BTW you could always find a girlfriend and convert her like I did with my hubby lol.

I currently live just north of Houston... I know what you are talking about! You should get on meetup.com and see if there are any veg* meetup groups in or around your area. I know there are a few around metro Detroit and also Grand Rapids. And there are probably some in other cities too. What area are you in?
#403 Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Please stay out of SE Michigan, we don't want you! Heard bad things? Like what? Theres nothing wrong with SE Michigan! Take if from a 35 year resident! I think you should move to Detroit, to my old neighborhood and then complain about SE Michigan.

SE Michigan has great cities like Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Detroit etc... Don't forget the festivals in Downtown Detroit, the Wings, Tigers, Lions. But you're prob.not interested in those things. Either way, good luck. And as far as the job market being bad, Michigan is like anyplace else right now.
#404 Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Ann Arbor
#405 Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I looove Ann Arbor. I'm moving down to Ypsi in the fall.
#406 Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Please stay out of SE Michigan, we don't want you! Heard bad things? Like what? Theres nothing wrong with SE Michigan! Take if from a 35 year resident! I think you should move to Detroit, to my old neighborhood and then complain about SE Michigan.

SE Michigan has great cities like Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Detroit etc... Don't forget the festivals in Downtown Detroit, the Wings, Tigers, Lions. But you're prob.not interested in those things. Either way, good luck. And as far as the job market being bad, Michigan is like anyplace else right now.

Well, for one I heard that Detroit and Flint were some of the most dangerous and crime infested cities in the U.S. I also heard that air quality isn't very good in the SE, and also that some of the rivers are polluted. I also heard that it has been hit the hardest with the state depression. It also seems like one large urban sprawl. I'm not saying these are all true. I'm just going by what I have heard, etc. And I'm sure I have some misconceptions. I do hear that Rochester Hills, Troy, and West Bloomfield are nice, but can be pretty expensive to live in. I also hear the nicer areas are north of 16 Mile.
#407 Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I grew up on the SW side of Detroit. I moved to Waterford about 4 years ago. Times are bad all over, Detroit has been on a downward spiral for a long time, Flint never recovered. I'd say overall any place outside of Wayne County would be good. I live 2 seconds from a lake. I drive 18 mile one way to work, but it takes an hour because of all the lakes near my home. A lot are non-sport lakes which means no gas powered watercrafts. Theres a lot of good in SE MI. You just need to know where to look. The places you mentioned are pretty pricey but just outside of the them are usually nice. A young lady I work with just bought a 3 bedroom condo in Novi, for just over 115k. Feel free to pm and I'll be glad to help you out anyway I can. What kind of work do you do? I work for the government and they are always looking for help in certain areas.
#408 Old 05-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

What kind of work do you do? I work for the government and they are always looking for help in certain areas.

I'm currently a Facilities Technician and Shipping/Receiving Clerk. I also sometimes assist in the lab.
#409 Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Now that each state has its own forum I'll be closing the state threads. Please continue any discussion by starting a new thread in this forum. Thanks!

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page