New to Michigan! :D - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By LeThieu92
  • 1 Post By leedsveg

#1 Old 05-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Beginner

New to Michigan! :D

Hello everyone. I recently moved from Ontario Canada to Michigan USA. It was a long tedious process but I am now an official U.S permanent resident, YAY!!!!

I am now living in the Wayne County Area and couldn't be loving it more. It's definitely a change from where I was living before but it is great. BUUUT there is one gripe... There is no good grocery stores! Where I was previously living only had 3 major grocery stores but one was excellent, though slightly pricey. I have a meijers and walmart near me and I'm not impressed by either, however walmart's prices are fair.

So where you do you guys shop? I have been to Busch's, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and The Produce Station. I LOVE THEM ALL but they are out of my way and kind of pricey to do regular shopping at. (My fav is Busch's). I cook all the time and since I am transition to vegan and would love to find a one stop shop for groceries, but I'm thinking that will be hard to do, unless I want to drive 20+ mins and spend lots of $$.. oh well I guess... Maybe they will open a whole foods near me and that will save on the gas budget lol

I plan on trying Aldi's as a place to stock up on pantry staples, though that too is out of the way from where I am.

Well anyway other than the groceries I enjoy it here and met some great people. I even started a garden with my mother-in-law (she lives relatively close by). We planted an entire box of herbs, along with several varieties of tomatoes, carrots, beans, peppers, cucumbers, and more.

Below is the herb box.

Hello MICHIGAN I am looking forward to the MANY years ahead

Click image for larger version

Name:	0510151852b (2).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	9737
LedBoots and MadamSarcastra like this.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi LT. I'm hoping that someone with local knowledge is able to give you some useful ideas for where you can purchase vegetarian stuff from not too far away.

I do appreciate that in lots of ways, it's easier living in a large city.
#3 Old 05-22-2015, 03:59 PM

Michigan is hit and miss since there are not a lot of large cities unless you're in the south around Ann Arbor, Flint, Lansing, or Detriot. I've never heard of Busch's, so maybe it's a Canadian store chain? Meijer and Walmart are pretty good, but they're supermarkets. Aldi's is amazing since they're so cheap. The one around me sells bananas for 54¢ a pound. We have an Oryana's health store chain but I don't know if it's near you. If you can find a Trader Joe's around you, that would be a good store. Even if you just have mom and pop stores, they can still be useful. I tend to find that their produce is a bit better in quality and I know plenty of small stores that do have quinoa and barley and millet and flax. I would definitely recommend utilizing farmer's markets! If you live in a rural area then you'll definitely find them, or search for where they have organized dates local markets to sell their produce. In Michigan, they sell plenty of homegrown things such as apples, apple cider, cherries, peaches, fresh pies, asparagus, tomatoes, strawberries, pumpkins, and a lot more. I would suggest some research for your area (since I don't know exactly where you are) and definitely go exploring! You might even find a vegan or vegetarian restaurant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Beginner

I live about 25 minute drive from Ann Arbor and that's where the Busch's, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are. I am trying to explore to find a farmer's market, or even just some fruit/vegetable stands around. I know there is one about a 30 minute drive from here with great produce. As for the mom and pop stores there isn't much near me. There is a few stores that are essentially corner stores but don't offer up much for fresh food... Still an adventure and a discovery for some time for me. I find it fun to try and hunt down the best shopping places, though can be very frustrating when you can't find what's on your grocery list that week hahaha.

I've I find a gemstone in my area I will be sure to share my praises with everyone so that anyone else in the area can also check it out .

Thank for the reply leedsveg and Smileyface3364

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page