Massachusetts - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:08 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey M*******s! I've lived here for 8 months... I live just east of Worcester, in Shrewsbury. Where are you all?!
#3 Old 05-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Beginner

Hi stvspl I actually work in Shrewsbury!, but live in Maynard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

wow! that's cool! I've been to maynard a few times...
#5 Old 05-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in North Easton.
#6 Old 05-21-2003, 01:41 PM

Anyone know a way to get to Watertown through Waltham? Or, *any* way to get to Watertown from the west (I usually take the pike, but I'm willing to experiment) that doesn't involve going around that insane rotary?
#7 Old 05-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I lived in Boston last year. There's four great vegan restaurants that I know of. And I hear there's a vegetarian pizza parlor in Cambridge (though I never went there.)

There's also a raw food restaurant in Beverly (Beverly?). Never been to that one.
#8 Old 05-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Malden, MA. I've lived here about a year.

I'm originally from Utah, so this spring has been very distressing for me. I can't believe how much it rains here and how few warm days we've had this spring. I'm hoping this summer won't be so wet and chilly.

So far the only veg restaurant I've been to is Buddha's Delight in Boston (in Chinatown). I've been meaning to check other places out, but so far haven't been able to convince my husband to go there (he's omni). Anybody know of some good veg restaurants or veg friendly places that are good to take an omni to?
#9 Old 05-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

The summers in Boston are amazing. I'm affraid you just moved in the wrong year. I'd rather that weather to the humidity of New Orleans anyday, though.

If he didn't like Buddha's Delight, then I can't really imagine him liking any other vegan restaurant. The Seventh Day Adventists run a restaurant chain called Country Life, and they have more American style vegetarian meals (entirely vegan). They have things like tofu scramble, waffles, homefries, caseroles, etc.

I met spud at the Country Life in London and it was fantastic. Funny thing is that I never went to the one in Boston! I know it has funny hours, so I'd look at them online before you go. It's all you can eat buffet.

I just found the hours -

200 High Street, Boston, MA 02110

main: 617-951-2534

menu: 617-951-2462

Lunch: 11:30am-3:00pm Mon-Fri

Dinner: 5:00pm-8:00pm Sun, Tues, Wed, Thurs

Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-3:00pm
#10 Old 07-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Banned

Buddahs Delight is nowhere NEAR as delicious as The Grasshopper, its totally vegan, asian style. Ask for the "No Name", its not on the menu, its a dish the regulars know about and its the most delicious thing Ive ever eaten. even my skeptical omni family loved it.

I'm actually posting today to see if any of you know a good place to have a nice vegan wedding in Boston. i'm trying SO hard to do this, its driving me crazy trying to find something vegan yet affordable. :P any advice you might have is more than welcome!!!!!!
#11 Old 07-09-2003, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I get no name every time I go there.

Oh man, I just can't get enough of that stuff.

There have been several people here who've had vegan weddings. Perhaps you could make the meal yourself, or have a potluck... I don't know, ... Maybe PM Kreeli - She always has awesome ideas.
#12 Old 07-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Beginner

Can somebody please describe the "no name" dish?? im dying to try, but would like to know whats in it...seitan? tofu? veggies? spicy? sweet?....or all of the above?

Grasshopper is the best
#13 Old 07-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's tofu... but it's so fried you don't really know what it is. Let me put it this way - It was tofu, until it was fried to death.

It's so crispy. It's like I remember friend chicken - BUT TOFU! It's the best of both worlds. It's got sauce, and I don't remember the taste exactly, all over it. And they sprinkle sesame seeds all over it as well. And it's just a huge dish of this fried, probably terrible for you, goodness.

I'm starving right now, and talking about it is making me think that's its probably my favorite food ever. lol.

mmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm
#14 Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

mikie... Country Life is DIRECTLY across the street from my dad's office @ the US Gov/ US coast guard building on Atlantic Ave. Haven't been there yet, but i heard it was goooood from his veg co-worker.
#15 Old 07-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, why aren't you going?
#16 Old 07-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably because Stvspl lives way out by Worcesta, and his dad doesn't take him to work too often. Damn teenagers never want to go hang out at their parents workplace for nine or ten hours a day anymore.
#17 Old 07-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey. I've been out to his workplace 2 times so far, for about 8 hours the first time and 5 the second, and I've lived here for about 8 or 9 months. That's not bad! It's really not as bad as it would seem, I just hop on the commuter rail in Westborough and Poof! In an hour, I'm there.

=edit=

plus, theres also SOOO much at Faneuil Hall, where i've eaten the last few times i've been there.
#18 Old 07-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

You HAVE GOT TO try the Masala Dosa at the Indian restaurant there! I ate it so many times last year, that I think the nice Indian workers started to recognize me.

(I want to say it's called Bombay Cuisine... I could be making that up. It's just a few shops from the middle going towards the water)

I could survive on that for months... and be very happy the whole time.
#19 Old 07-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had the Masala Dosa at the Indian restaurant near me. YUM. Is it in Quincy Market, with all those little fast food places? or is it a sit-down place somewhere?
#20 Old 08-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Pip
Veggie Regular

So does anyone ever go to the Boston Veg Society meetings? I get emails from them about seminars and meetups, but I haven't gone to any yet. Is it a good time?
#21 Old 09-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

So does anyone ever go to the Boston Veg Society meetings? I get emails from them about seminars and meetups, but I haven't gone to any yet. Is it a good time?

I never went, but so many times I wanted to go. I read they have 300 members (though I'm sure a small percentage must go to each meeting..?). I think that once a month they have a meeting, or at least gathering, at one of Boston's veg restuarants and their favorite is the Grasshopper. I'd just show up at one them and see what it's like! (And then tell me, so if I move back I know to go or not. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvSpl View Post

I've had the Masala Dosa at the Indian restaurant near me. YUM. Is it in Quincy Market, with all those little fast food places? or is it a sit-down place somewhere?

The one I'm talking about is the one in Quincy Market (and then you can stand at one of the troughs in the middle. )
#22 Old 09-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

heh. yay for troughs.
#23 Old 10-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Hey mikey, wanted to let you know that the no name is actually gluten, not tofu :-) its like seitan its fried and in a delicious sweetish sauce - i cant vouch for how healthy it is, but its sooooo delicious. :-) i actually ask for it with asparagus instead of the mixed peppers and broccoli, its fab. :-)
#24 Old 11-25-2003, 03:17 PM

hey!

i've been living in Salem, MA for a year and a half now and just last week i made it to my first boston vegetarian society seminar. like some previous posters said i've been getting emails from them for a long time but never went. the speaker was a doctor from brigham women's hospital and the topic was supposed to be wellness, vegetarian diets, stocking the veg kitchen and meals on the run. sadly i was quite disappointed. the lecture was an hour and she covered very little in that time. no specifics at all, and only really touched on anything vegetarian in the last 15 minutes or so. the bvs is such a huge and well known group that i'm thinking this may have been a fluke. anyhow, it was my first time eating at country life in boston so that was cool. the food was awesome. so nice to go to a buffet and be able to eat anything and everything. haven't done that since i was 12! they had this sort of coffee cake-like stuff that was so good i had to take a piece for the road...though it was a buffet so that probably wasn't really allowed.

on another note, i did make it to the bvs festival this year. greatest thing ever.
#25 Old 12-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Honu, I go to Salem State College! I live closer to Gloucester though. Have you been to the Organic Garden in Beverly? I like it there, and I also enjoy Tapas which is just two or three stores down.
#26 Old 12-08-2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalChick View Post

Hey Honu, I go to Salem State College! I live closer to Gloucester though. Have you been to the Organic Garden in Beverly? I like it there, and I also enjoy Tapas which is just two or three stores down.

Hey NaturalChick, yea I've definitely been the Organic Garden...unforturnately only once though. I've not yet made it to Tapas. Their menu looks pretty tasty.

Be thankful you don't live in Salem...the last few days have been a complete disaster with the snow. It's amazing how bad the city is dealing (more like not dealing) with it!
#27 Old 01-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I tried the no name a week ago. We found the sauce to be very strong. It blended pretty good with the fried gluten, but with everything else it was too overpowering. Everything else we've tried at Grasshopper we've loved, though.
#28 Old 01-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It's gluten? Who would have known!

tearhsong2, I can't believe you didn't like it!! I love that stuff - maybe they made a mistake? Well, in any case, I'm in Vermont now and will be spending next weekend in Boston. I CANNOT wait to go to the Grasshopper this weekend! Of course, as always, I will get no name. I can't bring myself to try new things for fear that I won't like them as much as I do no name.

Honu, I've never been to that Country Life, but I went to the one in London with spud once and it was fantastic. We ate so much food! I went to the bar several times. And then we had desert afterwards! It was all so great and the help was real nice.

And spud treated me, and that was nice too.
#29 Old 01-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh. I ate so much yesterday I felt sick.

I just had the leftovers, didn't even finish them, and I nearly feel sick again. I love that restaurant.
#30 Old 01-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Banned

grasshopper grasshopper grasshopper :-)

I was talking to a vegetarian friend of mine who has NEVER been to the grasshopper!!! I was shocked! So I am taking her soon :-) any excuse is a good excuse to go there :-)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page