Massachusetts - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 01-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

i have NEVER been to a veg restaurant where is the grasshopper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

vegdining used to have a write-up on them - but that page doesn't seem to be working - I did find this though.

1 North Beacon Street, Allston

(617) 254-8883

Open daily, 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Di, MC, Visa

No liquor

Sidewalk-level access

I'm not sure how close you live to Boston but it is within walking distance of the green line!
#33 Old 01-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Beginner

I LOVE GRASSHOPPER!! I go almost every week. I've had many different items on the menu, but my favorite is the No Name and The Nest. Oh yeah and the tofu delight soup is delicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Evita, what is The Nest??
#35 Old 01-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Beginner

Mikie,

The Nest is an actual nest made of dry noodles filled with vegetables, assortment of glutten meats (beef,chicken,squid,lobster,shrimp) tofu in a delicious brown sauce. Whats awesome is that you eat the bowl as well, at the bottom the juice softens up the noodles. You have to try it next time.
#36 Old 01-29-2004, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh wow! That sounds so good!

I probably won't be back to Boston for another year ( ) but I'll definitely keep that in mind!
#37 Old 03-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Middleton, MA. Some of you might not recognize Middleton, but we're right next to Danvers. I'll have to try Grasshopper sometime soon.
#38 Old 03-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

And I hear there's a vegetarian pizza parlor in Cambridge (though I never went there.)

There's also a raw food restaurant in Beverly (Beverly?). Never been to that one.

oh dude, do not go to the vegetarian pizzeria in cambridge (veggie planet). i have had nothing but bad experiences there, the service totally sucks, the pizza is actually pretty good but not worth the horrible attitutes of the employees. not to mention that a dinner sized personal pizza is $10.

however, organic gardens in beverly is great, as are grasshopper, buddha's (both in chinatown and brookline), burrito max (not strictly vegetarian but very accomidating, cheap and good) and brunch at the now closed country life in the financial district was my favorite of all (RIP Boston Country Life!)
#39 Old 03-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Pip
Veggie Regular

I tried Veggie Planet once. I thought the pizza was so-so, but, yeah, it's pricey. I think I've spoiled myself making my own pizza, which usually has more spices in it. Veggie Planet is also part of a folksy club (used to be a really famous one. I forget the name. Studio something??) I went there to see Arlo Guthrie not realizing it was also a veggie restaurant.

I think a vegan restaraunt recently opened in Dorchester.The BVS sent an email about it. I can't remember the name, though. Has anyone heard of it?
#40 Old 04-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm, I haven't heard of it, but I'll have to look it up and give it a try. My husband and I had a disappointing experience at The Grasshopper (well, my husband did, I didn't) and I don't see us going back there any time soon. I so love that place, too. :sigh:

That's too bad that Country Life closed down. I never had a chance to try it out.
#41 Old 04-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

The new vegan restaurant in Dorchester is called Cafe Mosheh. Here's the Boston Vegetarian Society's list of restaurants: http://www.bostonveg.org/restaurants/
#42 Old 05-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Beginner

last night i went to a pizza place on cambridge street in allston, two doors down from grasshopper. it was exactly like any generic hole in the wall pizza joint in the city EXCEPT for the neon sign in the window that said vegan. it was amazing. they had all the usual omni food and in addition they had an entire seperate menu with over 30 vegan items on it, pizza, calzones, subs, garlic bread, pasta meals, vegan chicken nuggets, baklava with no honey (i almost passed out) chocolate chip soy cheesecake and carrot cake. it rocked. i never dreamed i would be eating a vegan sausage pizza with a mug root beer in boston, pretty much every other vegan place there is ethnic (asian, ethiopian, middle eastern) or health food. this was decidedly not health food. i seriously felt like i was dreaming. most amazing of all they had a seperate prep area and fryers for vegan items. i can't wait to go back. the name of the place is TJ's House of Pizza, and i am going to shill for it like crazy so it stays there forever.
#43 Old 06-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Banned

misslego I saw it there too one day when i went to the grasshopper - looks great! I just worry about cross-contamination cause they do have meat stuff there but they swear they are very careful about it ;-)

Don't forget about veggie planet in Harvard, thats another boston area pizza place with lots of vegan choices, soymilk, etc.... and tearhsong2 thanks for sharing about the new place in Dorchester - although I don't go there very often it might be worth a trip to try some new food!
#44 Old 06-26-2004, 11:03 AM

Just as a note about TJ's, they have a seperate set of utensils and grills for vegan and non-vegan food. You can see both grills when you enter the restaurant to the right of the counter, and they are clearly labelled.
#45 Old 06-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, we ended up going back to The Grasshopper twice after the incident, so I'm happy (once last night). He just complains about trying to find parking (which is understandable--we drove around for an hour before a space opened up). Ate the last of my No Name leftovers with dinner tonight. (yes, I love No Name now--it just caught me off guard the first time).

I don't go to Dorchester much either, but it's good to know that it's there in case I'm ever down there. This summer I'll have the car, so I'll be able to take myself to some of these restaurants I haven't tried yet (which are a lot--I've only been to Buddha's, Grasshopper, and Veggie Planet)
#46 Old 08-15-2004, 02:37 PM

Hello, locals.

I live in North (B)Attleborough. There is an alternative market near my apartment (route 1a). I go there when I have money (I haven't been there in a month or so... I am poor. Scratch that... I am broke).

I'm a strict vegan; I don't eat honey, processed sugar, yeast or any of the other stuff vegans don't eat.

I'd like to make some vegan friends (my only vegan friend is in San Diego).

I'd like to try the restaurants y'all mentioned. I haven't been out to eat in years and the last people I went out to eat with learned to hate me (I warned them I'm no fun at the table). Maybe someday when I can afford to eat and travel...

Yeah, well, yeah...

If anyone wants to contact me for anything: trudatman[AT]fourwalledworld[DOT]net

Peace.

Soon.
#47 Old 08-16-2004, 02:18 PM

Trudatman, your friend in San Diego wouldn't happen to have the initials M.S., would he?
#48 Old 08-17-2004, 03:53 PM

Nope. Vegans are more common over there.
#49 Old 09-03-2004, 07:43 AM

I realize that, but thought I'd check since he grew up in this area as well. You never know. )
#50 Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 PM
ljf

hi trudatman. i miss you. had some raspberries at suppertime and sent you a san diegan snuggle and good energies.

hey- i wonder if you have any input... i've been eating a lot of ****ake mushrooms over the past week, which my immune system loves... but i'm wondering if there is correlation between this and the absolutely insane dreams i have been having lately. they are more vivid than any dreams i've had in years. they almost always involve some sort of water-dwelling critters, and range from happy thoughts to bad thoughts... hmmmm.
#51 Old 09-08-2004, 06:16 AM

Hmm... Vivid dreams, the mixed blessing of the intelligent but tired. I know very little about fungus, but I know I don't trust it. I refuse anything with shroomies, 'cause I think they are gross.

I think of you often because you are the only vegan I know. My friend, Jessica, is vegetarian (I don't know any of those either, and that is a much bigger group of humans).

I hope the jobby works out for me; supposedly a recent hire is making ten grand per month. That is a lot. Like a "get-out-of-debt-quick" card. Positive thoughts...
#52 Old 11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Trudatman! I live sorta close you, I'm in Easton. I know the little grocery place on 1A that you're talking about but I haven't been there in a couple of years. I usually just go up to Whole Foods in Bellingham.

I used to be vegan when I lived in NYC. It was hard enough to eat out while living there, nevermind trying to do it around here. Poor you!

Unfortunately, I have let yeast, sugar, caffiene, and occasionally a little dairy, sneak back into my diet, and it's still hard to go out for a meal. I'd just rather stay home and cook my own meals.

Hopefully if I visit this site a little more often I'll be inspired to clean up my diet again.
#53 Old 12-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Pip
Veggie Regular

I just moved to Beverly and am within walking distance to the Organic Garden Cafe. I'm so glad people mentioned it in this thread. It's great having a restaurant nearby where I can eat anything I want on the menu. The smoothies are great. Everything's great.
#54 Old 12-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems like most of you are in eastern MA. Is there anyone in western MA?

I am in Springfield. We have one HFS. I usually have to go to Hadley to get to Whole Foods Market and Trader Joes. As I don't drive, it's a bit difficult.
#55 Old 12-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that, Lelena. The furthest west I usually go is Worcester, there is a great restaurant/HFS there too. Good luck to you!!!
#56 Old 12-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Lelena, I am in South Hadley. I am at the Hadley Whole Foods every day it seems!
#57 Old 12-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

cool lijahbaby!

How do you like the remodling they did? I think it's great. But they will always be Bread and Circus to me. I wish we could get one in Springfield, but then again I'd probably go broke. LOL
#58 Old 12-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I was so happy when it expanded! It was just way to small before. And yeah, I still call it Bread and Circus most of the time. What HFS is there in Springfield? Are there any veg restaurants there?
#59 Old 12-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

We have a HFS called Better Life. They just expanded for the second time in about 9 or 10 years. They are good, but more expensive and they don't have a large amount of vegan items. I have never met another vegetarian in Springfield so I think our numbers are small. That plus the very limited dining out options. But I prefer to make my own food so that's not a big problem.
#60 Old 02-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Beginner

where have all the massachusetts folks been!!?? I was just curious if anyone has been to the organic garden cafe in beverly...the menu looks insanely yummy www.organicgardencafe.com
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page