Massachusetts what is boston like? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

one of my favorite bands is from there and they seem to absolutely love the place and ill be moving out on my own in 4 years and am looking for a new city.

I've just begun having my fun. <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Boston. I can't help it. I LOVE Boston.

I was born and raised on Cape Cod, and I went to college at New York University and Boston University. I love both cities, actually. But Boston feels more like home to me.

I guess the question is - what are you looking for in a city? Where do you live now? How able are you to handle cold winters? Do you like sports? Do you like people who like sports? Are you able to drive like you're in a war where using your directional is seen as a sign of weakness?

Boston is a MAJOR college town. But not in the sense that other places are college "towns." It's not a bunch of jackass hipsters. It's a LOT of really smart, really diverse, really interesting people. Cambridge and Somerville are awesome too, just outside the city. There are great places to shop, great veg*n places to eat, great music, great art, great sports, great educational opportunities, great LOTS of things.

But heaven help you if you think there will be bountiful street signs. The roads are set up in an "If you don't already know where you're going, you can just get the hell out" kinda way. Part of it they can't help - it's an OLD city so a lot of the roads used to be, I dunno, cow paths. So they kind of wander and cross over each other.

(You get used to it, I promise.)
#3 Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluvzanimalz View Post

one of my favorite bands is from there and they seem to absolutely love the place and ill be moving out on my own in 4 years and am looking for a new city.

Didn't you mention in another thread you were moving to Arizona in 4 years because your favorite band is from there??? I'm not so sure this person knows where they are moving to in 4 years..... Are you trying to gather information on a lot of places and then decide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Didn't you mention in another thread you were moving to Arizona in 4 years because your favorite band is from there??? I'm not so sure this person knows where they are moving to in 4 years..... Are you trying to gather information on a lot of places and then decide?

yeah exactly, im trying to find out about multiple cities to decide which one i want to go to. like i really want to go to arizona, but i decided just in case that doesnt work out to look into some other cities as well. but dont get me wrong because im most interested in arizona

#5 Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I love Boston. I can't help it. I LOVE Boston.

I was born and raised on Cape Cod, and I went to college at New York University and Boston University. I love both cities, actually. But Boston feels more like home to me.

I guess the question is - what are you looking for in a city? Where do you live now? How able are you to handle cold winters? Do you like sports? Do you like people who like sports? Are you able to drive like you're in a war where using your directional is seen as a sign of weakness?

Boston is a MAJOR college town. But not in the sense that other places are college "towns." It's not a bunch of jackass hipsters. It's a LOT of really smart, really diverse, really interesting people. Cambridge and Somerville are awesome too, just outside the city. There are great places to shop, great veg*n places to eat, great music, great art, great sports, great educational opportunities, great LOTS of things.

But heaven help you if you think there will be bountiful street signs. The roads are set up in an "If you don't already know where you're going, you can just get the hell out" kinda way. Part of it they can't help - it's an OLD city so a lot of the roads used to be, I dunno, cow paths. So they kind of wander and cross over each other.

(You get used to it, I promise.)

thanks for all that info! well im from chicago so i have an idea what cold winters are like but i personally hate the cold weather. and im not a sports girl at all but if someone likes sports i wont not like them . if that makes sense.

#6 Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

The first time I went to Boston, it was OK. It seemed huge and noisy and busy, in part because I was 16 and arriving there as the final destination on a month-long bicycle trip. The Duck Tour guides liked to point us out, riding through the city on our recumbent bicycles, as though we were part of the local charm. I was with my family. It's a LOT different to see a place with your friends.

I went back to Boston for a few days a few years ago with other VBers. This time, the city was fantastic! I didn't have to pedal to get around (we used the subway/train), and I got to do and see parts of the city my parents would never have dreamed of visiting. I had been in New York City for a couple of days immediately prior to going to Boston. By comparison, Boston was laid back, well-organized and friendly. Sorry, I could never live in Manhattan. It stressed me out just to stand on the sidewalk with nothing to do and nowhere to be, and have people rushing rushing rushing all around me. Boston had lots of veg*n restaurants, so if I lived there my food bills would be a lot higher. It was hard to find some stuff because of the lack of street signs already mentioned, but if you have a good attitude and don't mind asking a lot of people for directions, it works out.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I had been in New York City for a couple of days immediately prior to going to Boston. By comparison, Boston was laid back, well-organized and friendly. Sorry, I could never live in Manhattan. It stressed me out just to stand on the sidewalk with nothing to do and nowhere to be, and have people rushing rushing rushing all around me.

*nods*

Like I said, I've lived in both places. My vote would be for Boston.

New York had this strange vibe... It was okay while I lived there, I guess, but I couldn't do it long-term. It's more of a rush rush rush, living-in-your-bubble kind of mentality. Everyone is everywhere, yet so isolated.

Boston is friendlier in general (just don't wear any Yankees paraphernalia!), easier to get around, big enough so that you're never lacking and small enough that it's not overwhelming. It's got history and culture, and is very veg/alternative lifestyle friendly. And the areas like Cambridge are just so damn cool. My 57-year-old mother has house here on Cape Cod, but she also rents a loft in Somerville (right near Cambridge) that is amazing simply because it's just SO awesome to be in the city. She's an author who has literally traveled the globe and in the past year has been to at least 20 different states... And the people, the art, the atmosphere of Boston doesn't compare to anything else - it's amazing!
#8 Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I adore Boston. that is why I live there.

I can jump on the subway with my daughter and get to anywhere I want to go. Science museum? Aquarium? Art? Shopping? Walk downtown? In the summer, I take her every weekend to the Boston Common, where there is a huge, amazing, free public wading pool (called the frog pond) which is my daughter's favorite place on the planet. The gardens are gorgeous, and we stop to smell every flower. There are playgrounds everywhere, many with amazing water features for kids to play in. Best hospitals in the country. Best college town anywhere (I also went to college here.) So many smart, educated, progressive people. vegetarian dining is no sweat. We have 2 new vegan restaurants opening in the next month. The rose kennedy greenway is a beautiful walk down to the long wharf, and you can smell the ocean and watch the boats go by. And jump on a merry go round for $2.

Great vegetarian communities locally. Great moms communities. Neighbors who give a damn.

The driving is no problem after a while. I know my way by car anywhere now, and by feet even better. its a pedestrian's dream, this city :-)

I love Boston.
#9 Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Boston is amazing. I'm a Minneapolis native so I know cold weather, but you're from Chicago so you'd understand this weather better. The temperatures in the winter really aren't that bad, but depending on where you are in the city the wind is positively killer.

I go to school on the Boston Commons (Emerson) and live in the South End (I <3 my brownstone) so I'm familiar with some different neighborhoods. Like everyone else I highly prefer Boston to New York.

New York is very...big. It just feels like a never ending maze of skyscrapers and rushing people and tourists.

It's kind of a mini-New York in a way. It's got all the amenities of a big city, without actually being that big. You can walk pretty much anywhere, though walking in Beacon Hill can be a bit dodgy if you want to keep your ankles in tact. It's a truly magnificent city that I will be sad to leave in May.

That being said, my best friend in the entire world lived in and went to college in Arizona and she hated it. She's originally from Oregon (she moved around a lot), so she was used to slightly cooler temperatures and you know everyone thinks oh Arizona, sun, great. What they don't realize is oh, Arizona, sun, 14059281340 billion degrees and boy did she complain. Granted now she lives in China, but that's not the point. Oh, she lived in Tucson and went to UA if that helps at all.
#10 Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Boston. I take the Downeaster Amtrak from Portland, ME pretty regularly ($40 round trip you can't beat it). The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston is awesome. I've taken the train down and spent the entire day in that place from opening to closing. I love Boston, as "thewriteidea" put it her post

Quote:
It's got all the amenities of a big city, without actually being that big.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluvzanimalz View Post

IMO, Boston is an awesome city; it, and San Francisco, are my favorite U.S. cities.

That being said, making a decision on where to live based on the whereabouts or origins of your favorite band at the moment doesn't make a whole lot (or any) sense.
#12 Old 07-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Boston is very vegan-friendly!!

New restaurants opened this year too in Boston and vicinity. Some are gourmet, some are raw, some have macrobiotic, some serve pizza, and even baked goods.

VeggiePlanet

Peace O'Pie

Grezzo

Red Lentil

Prana Cafe

Pulse Cafe

Maseo's Kitchen

Rawberts(North Shore)

Vegan cupcakes:

Sweet Cupcakes - Harvard Square

Fiores - JP
#13 Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Boston is also one of the most expensive cities in the US to live. It competes with NY City for most expensive. Just something to keep in mind depending on whether you plan on being there for a few years, or forever. Cost of living is an important thing to consider.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I've lived in New England near Boston and I've lived in the Phoenix area. If Phoenix is the Arizona city you're considering, don't. It's not really a city. It's a huge, spread out shopping mall. Seriously. It doesn't have a city feel at all. The feel is of a massive suburb. I LOVE Arizona, but Phoenix never felt like home.

Boston is very different. Full of culture, history, and some beautiful scenery. Yes it gets cold, yes driving's a pain. But there's good public transportation if you're in town. You're within a couple hours of skiing, water sports, hiking, theater ... you name it you can find it within an hour or two of Boston.

If you can afford it, visit your potential cities in person. There's nothing like a few days up close and personal to really start to get a feel for a city.

Good luck making up your mind.

Edited to add: The one thing Phoenix does have, besides warmth, is lots of great places to eat healthy food. And sunshine. Lots of sunshine. If you're into camping, the county parks in the desert around Phoenix are totally awesome. I don't want to dis' Phoenix, because there are things I love about it. But if you want a "real" city, Phoenix will disappoint you.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page