Maryland Summer in Baltimore - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not expecting much of a response considering how dead this forum is... But I'm interning with the Vegetarian Resource Group this summer and I know nothing about Baltimore. Anyone here from there? How is the public transportation? Any place I should visit/avoid? How vegetarian-friendly is the city?

This is a longshot, but I'm still without housing for the summer. Does anyone here have any advice on where I could look to find a (relatively cheap) place to stay?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Wow, someone will actually be in Baltimore! I live about 15 minutes south. Baltimore can be veg*n friendly. There are many restaurants (Indian, Afghani, Thai, etc.) that you can navigate around. There are also several veg*n specific places like the "One World Cafe" and "Red Emma's". I think there are a few Whole Foods as well - one in Northern Baltimore and one basically downtown.

For food - Mt. Vernon and Federal Hill are good choices - the downtown area known as the inner harbor has many restaurants but mostly chains

There is a bus system but I do not know it too well and also a subway (believe it or not) but have never been on it and it is small. By car, Baltimore is pretty easy to negotiate, if you have access to one.

For entertainment it depends on what you like to do:

For bar scene Federal Hill, Canton, and Fells Point are decent as is Mt. Vernon. However, as I am basically a home body and haven't been part of any scene for MANY years these are just the old standards.

Museums: Walters Art Gallery (Mt. Vernon), the BMA (near Hopkins), the MD Science Center (Inner Harbor), Port Discovery (kids museum, Inner Harbor)

There is theater and the symphony (just dated myself) is great. There is a decent local music scene but I am too old to know much about it and various live performances of more known groups - pier 6, 1st Mariner Arena, Power Plant Live, Merriweather Post Pavilion (near me in Columbia).

They also have various festivals - Fells Point Festival, Hon Festival, Artscape, and a bunch more I'm sure . . .

DC is only 45 minutes away.

Lastly, as I am a soccer fan, this summer in July AC Milan is playing Chelsea in Ravens Stadium and from my perspective, the best usage of the facility!

Enjoy Baltimore and feel free to ask any questions at any time.
#3 Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Just reread your post: I do not know of a cheap place to rent but you might want to look into the various schools to see about subletting.

Johns Hopkins in Northern Baltimore

MICA (MD Institute College of Art) in Mt. Royal (cool area)

Peabody Conservatory in Mt. Vernon (cool area)

University of Baltimore in Mt. Royal/Vernon

University of MD at Baltimore basically in downtown Baltimore

Towson University just North of Baltimore in Towson.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Wow, they summed it up quite well. I am not too sure regarding public transit because I don't use it, but we have a bus system and light rails.

There are quite a few veg-friendly places.

You might want to check out some of these restaurants as well, some are a bit further but worth the drive.

The Zodiac (Baltimore, MD)

Liquid Earth (Baltimore, MD)

Great Sage (Clarksville, MD)

Asylum (DC)

Also visit these sites which provide far more info and resources:

http://www.vegbaltimore.com/restaurants/

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...yBaltimore.htm

Hope this has helped, have a wonderful summer!
#5 Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, guys! I may have a place to stay now. I'll know by Friday.

I'm rethinking the car issue. You say it's pretty easy to drive there? Do other people there tend to drive crazy? Are there places to park, or is it mostly parallel parking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page