Maryland - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 07-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Banned

berwyn cafe kicks ass! there's a mom's down there too i hear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 10-10-2003, 12:11 PM

Hi all! Another Marylander here. Yeah there is a Mom's in CP on Rhode Island Ave. I haven't actually been there yet though so I can't say anything about how good it is. One of these days I'll have to pop over there for lunch.
#63 Old 11-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

hey - another Marylander here. I actually live in Laurel, although after reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, I thought twice and then a third time about admitting that.

Anyhow, MOM in College Park does indeed rule, and it's great to be close to Udupi, Mango Grove, and the Vegetable Garden as well. Life is good.

(If I had known there was an actual Maryland forum here when I joined, I wouldn't have picked a DC member name......)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 12-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

If you are available come to:

The Royal (Federal Hill), Thursday 1/22/04

To see: Plans Plans

http://www.theroyalbaltimore.com
#65 Old 01-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got it in my head to list some of my favourite vegetarian haunts. Since I know a couple other people are in the Laurel area -

Kabob - on route one, address: 10024 Washington Blvd. A little down from the 198 intersection, near the big Dodge dealer. Great Indian food, very atmospheric (lighting, music, etc.) And the service is mad friendly. Lots of vegan options. Roti bread is vegan.

There's a place on 198 near the Target called Shish Kebab. It looks like a hole in the wall, but... It's pretty good Middle Eastern food for cheap. Falafel, hummus, grape leaves, etc. Plus they have a great deal - you pick three curries (from assorted beans and vegetables) and it comes with rice. Makes a very filling meal.

Hunan House - if you head out 216, it's in the Cherry Tree Shopping Center, right before you get to 29. Excellent mock chicken. You can order any of the chicken dishes with the mock chicken. So far I've had Sweet and Sour, General Tso's, and Kung Pao, all of which were delicious. There's also a standard vegetarian menu with your classic favorites. The fried dumplings, also, are awesome. And I was assured by the waitress no eggs or dairy in the dough. (You're welcome to decide for yourself whether to believe her though.)
#66 Old 01-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey all, I was just thinking about this:

Does anyone go to Laurel Health Food Store or Roots to shop for their foods?

If so maybe we can meet up next time its time to shop for groceries.

The address to LHFS is:

131 Bowie Rd.

Laurel, MD 20707

301-498-7191

and the address to Roots is:

5805 Clarksville Square Dr.

Clarksville, MD 21029

443-535-9321
#67 Old 01-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe. I'm at the LHFS a lot. The boyfriend's apartment is right down the street. Though I usually get extra goodies there like cookies and ice cream, not my pantry staples.

Never heard of Roots - do they have a good selection?

Hehe. I'd be happy to meet up and go shopping though! Sounds cute.
#68 Old 01-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

oooh Roots is 5x the size of LFHS. They carry alot more frozen food, soy ice creams, dry goods and right next store is Nest, which is owned by Roots. It has all sorts of yoga, self help books, clothing, dishes, etc. (Houseware goods I guess I could say)

Its in Clarksville, which is down Rt.32 (just before it turns into a one lane). Not too far from Laurel (I guess around 20 miles...I don't go often though)

Yay! Shopping!!!

Dude, someone needs to control me. I just came back from LHFS and I bought 5 bags of Crunchy Dumplings. Sigh. But on my side, they are sooooooo good and I thought I could only get them at Potomac Advent.
#69 Old 01-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I live very close to LHFS, but I don't go there so much anymore. I do admire any store that carries a wide range of veg/vegan products, but their prices are high and wildly inconsistent (often two different containers of the same item will have different prices, and prices often change after a new shipment comes in since they hand-mark everything), and they often sell goods well past their expiration date. Plus, their emphasis lately has shifted towards vitamins and supplements.

I do much more of my shopping at M.O.M in College Park. That said, I do still occasionally go to LHFS to give them some business and would be interested in meeting up there.
#70 Old 01-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVeg View Post

I live very close to LHFS, but I don't go there so much anymore. I do admire any store that carries a wide range of veg/vegan products, but their prices are high and wildly inconsistent (often two different containers of the same item will have different prices, and prices often change after a new shipment comes in since they hand-mark everything), and they often sell goods well past their expiration date. Plus, their emphasis lately has shifted towards vitamins and supplements.

I do much more of my shopping at M.O.M in College Park. That said, I do still occasionally go to LHFS to give them some business and would be interested in meeting up there.

I agree with you about LHFS. I don't shop there exclusively anymore, where I used to. I went today and wanted to get a little booklet on vegan save ingredients to give to my sister since she wants to go vegan. Well they have alot of books, but nothing on veg*nism.

And I was kind of mad to see the Big Bad Book of BBQ by Al Roker there. I looked through it, and it didn't seem very healthy.

Anyway. I know the owners of LHFS pretty well and they are pretty dedicated. They just opened up a second branch off Rt.198 near the old Weis in Laurel. I haven't gone yet though. But LHFS has been stocking more Atkins stuff lately, which is how they get alot of their money now I think (that and the vitamins).

But yeah, if anyone wants to get together just PM or Email me and we can set up a time (if you dont' want to say on the thread so people can stalk you ) or just post it up!

Yay! the Official VB Maryland Grocery Shopping Club!!
#71 Old 01-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone try out vegan.meetup.com?

The Baltimore group has a pretty active following (46 members)...I haven't gone before, but I'm going to go to the Febuary one (as long as it isn't in Bel Air). There is a DC one as well, which has even more members.

Ooh. I should post a thing for this in the Vegetarian&Vegan Forum. I shall go do that now.
#72 Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac View Post

Anyone try out vegan.meetup.com?

The Baltimore group has a pretty active following (46 members)...I haven't gone before, but I'm going to go to the Febuary one (as long as it isn't in Bel Air). There is a DC one as well, which has even more members.

Ooh. I should post a thing for this in the Vegetarian&Vegan Forum. I shall go do that now.

hadn't heard of this before - thanks for posting! It seems, though, that they're spreading this a bit thin - do we really need separate groups for DC, Montgomery County, and northern VA?
#73 Old 01-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Attention all DC-area VB members and lurkers:

In you swing on by the Virginia board, you can read about a gathering has been planned for Sunday February 15 at 4PM at the Sunflower restaurant in Vienna, VA (2531 Chain Bridge Road). Please join us, but rsvp in this or the VA forum so that we can get a count for tables.

Yes, for those who live in the Baltimore area, this is a bit of a hike; we'll shift the next gathering a little further to the north and east, assuming we don't all hate each other and vow never to speak of the initial gathering ever again. A couple of the attendees live in the Laurel area, so carpooling options may be available for those looking to shorten the trip.
#74 Old 01-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to be playing bookie, and taking bets to see who hates each other the most. hehehe. I think that we are all going to get along swimmingly

And yeah, about the Vegan Meetups, I would think that the NoVa people would just go to the DC meetups, but I guess not. And I might just go to the MoCo one just to see how many vegans are there...hmmm.
#75 Old 01-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm going to be playing bookie, and taking bets to see who hates each other the most. hehehe. I think that we are all going to get along swimmingly

#76 Old 02-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been wanting to join a low cost gym (ya know, one where the membership isn't +$40 a month)...I walk alot, and I bike, but I'd like to go to a gym and do other things that people at gyms do (aside from public showering).

Does anyone belong to one, or can recommend one that is in the Baltimore area? I've been to the one in Canton, and didn't like it much, and I went to the Curves in Laurel but it wasn't enough, not too sure about other ones..
#77 Old 02-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

Does anyone belong to one, or can recommend one that is in the Baltimore area?

When I lived downtown I went to Brick Bodies and I really liked it. Don't let the name fool you - it's not (or at least it wasn't when I was there) a meathead club. It's right downtown near Lexington Market and it's busy defore work hours and after work hours, but it's dead during the day and moderately-busy at lunch and in the evening. I don't remember what membership fees were, though. It's cheeper than the 24-hour place for sure.
#78 Old 02-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh. I've seen their adverts on the television. I'll have to go check them out. When I heard the name I was alittle skeptical but its probably alright.

And Warren, when are you going to move back to Mobtown. Really now, you've been gone too long
#79 Old 02-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

...and is that Mr.Chomsky as your avatar? It looks like him, if he were a woodcut.
#80 Old 02-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I just saw a PeTA ad on E. Monument St.(!!)

I can't remember exactly what it says but it has to do with meat causing impotence. I'll try to take pictures and post them up

ETA: here is the PeTA news on it: http://www.peta.org/Automation/NewsItem.asp?id=3796
#81 Old 02-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I just saw a PeTA ad on E. Monument St.(!!)

I can't remember exactly what it says but it has to do with meat causing impotence. I'll try to take pictures and post them up

ETA: here is the PeTA news on it: http://www.peta.org/Automation/NewsItem.asp?id=3796

YAY!!!
#82 Old 02-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Saw this in The Sun:

Vegetarian Singles

Meets the last Sunday of the month at 1PM for lunch at restaurants in the Baltimore area. Call 410-296-0089 before 9PM.

Methinks I'm going to go
#83 Old 03-11-2004, 02:44 PM

Hi... we're building a house up in Hagerstown and should be moving in by early Spring... I'm a 30-something mom of 2 young children... hubby works in DC... We've been vegetarians for five years, although we are not exactly the most fit veggies... we're working on it... And we're raising our kids vegetarian... I'd love to connect with other veg moms with kids in the area!
#84 Old 03-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Tara,

Sorry, I'm not a Mom, but welcome to Merryland

Lots of veg*n friendly places in the DC/Baltimore region. You might want to look into getting some local papers (I'm not familiar with Hagerstown, but in the city we have the Citypaper and things like that)
#85 Old 03-12-2004, 02:12 PM

Hi, I live in Maryland also. I live in southern Prince Georges County. Do you guys know any good natural health food stores in the area, because the closest Whole Foods is in Annapolis, and I need somewhere else to go because the local Giant has no selection. Thanks.
#86 Old 03-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey vegbassist - there are millions of HFSs around PG County... can you give me a better idea of where you are? City?

Also, on Giant: Their brand of bread/bagels is vegan (that is, all the funny glycerides, enzymes, etc are of vegetable origin), and also, a bunch of their Giant brand cookies (which are very cheap) are vegan. I heart Giant. I had to advertize.
#87 Old 03-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Vegbassist

For PG the HFS of choice is Laurel HFS or MOM's.

There is Dave's in Columbia, Roots in Clarksville, and a host of HFS is Baltimore and Washington.

If you want the addresses, go back a page or two and I've listed most of them
#88 Old 03-14-2004, 01:45 PM

Ok, thanks. I live in Brandywine, it's about 20 minutes from Waldorf. Yeah I have had some of Giants vegan cookies, but the ones I love haven't been in stock for a few weeks. The problem is that my parents don't want to drive me far away so I can go to a HFS, but I will suggest those. Thanks again.
#89 Old 03-14-2004, 06:09 PM

It's only $35/month if you do a bank draft (about $5 more otherwise). Best deal in town, baby.

www.ymcamd.org

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#90 Old 03-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

vegbassist: Pre-Car-Ownership, I used to take the metro into DC when I wanted to stock up on cute HFS items. There's a Whole Foods on like, every corner. Maybe you can use public transportation?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page