Louisiana - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2003, 03:14 PM

Well, hopefully I won't be the only one from Louisiana replying! Anyway, I went to a vegetarian support group this past week, sponsored by www.meetup.com. There were supposed to be 5-7 people there, but only 2 of us showed up. I'd like to see more people at the meeting next month, so check out the site!
#3 Old 05-23-2003, 09:38 PM

I don't live in Louisianna, but I do spend quite a bit of time there (about a month out of the year, spread out), usually in New Orleans, but I've spent time all over the state. It's probably the most difficult place I've ever been to eat healthily, much less veg*n. Where in Louisianna are you, CajunGal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in New Orleans! I've been here since September. I work at Whole Foods Market on Magazine Street, Uptown, near Audubon Park.

I'm from Vermont, and lived in Boston last year.
#5 Old 05-28-2003, 11:01 PM

mikie- I'll have to write down somewhere where that Whole Foods is... I hate being stuck in hotel rooms without something I can snack on. Have you ever been to Old Dog New Trick down in the old quarter?
#6 Old 05-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

There's actually two whole foods here. One a mile or so from the quarter on Esplanade, and the other about 3 miles uptown on Magazine.

You know, it's funny, I hear about that restaurant all the time (and I've even passed it a few times on the street in the early AM hours ). But I've never ventured into it to get some food!

I guess it's probably because I have so few vegetarian friends here.

You'll have to tell me when you're coming!
#7 Old 05-29-2003, 10:17 PM

Go forth and venture, then. Maybe head in there *before* your night-time activities. . That place has sort of turned into my stand by for casual meals when I'm in N.O. Plus, I like the clubs around the old quarter so much more. Better music, and the area can be wonderfully creepy at night.

I'm always around during Jazz Fest, and for a few weeks during the summer. During Jazz Fest (one of my favorite places on earth) I tend to frequent Old Dog New Trick because I don't have to worry about overworked, busy waiters trying to help me find something I can eat.
#8 Old 06-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

im late in replying but...

i live in new orleans

old dog new trick sucks - they claim to be new orleans only vegetarian restaurant while serving fish

their food is overpriced and 'posh' and their service is rude

theres plenty of places to eat good vegan food here:

monas, taqueria corona, cafe hola, taj mahal, kim son, etc etc etc

Caroline
#9 Old 06-10-2003, 11:51 PM

I never saw them say anywhere that they were vegetarian, just veggie friendly. Yeah, they do serve fish in small amounts, but then again, who in new orleans doesn't? The reason I spend a lot of time there is because they're walking distance from the quarter, which is a blessing considering I can't drive. I don't remember the prices being too high, but it's possible we have different views of reasonable prices. On the matter of the service, however, I must disagree. It's possible that we've gone at different times and experienced different waiters, but in my experience the service was terrific, hard working and friendly. But it doesn't matter... to each their own.
#10 Old 06-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

they advertise as being new orleans Only vegetarian restaurant

you can even see it in the gambit

i used to go a bunch simply because im all about the junkfood and they were the only place to offer vegan dessert

since they shut the french quarter one down and opened up the marigny one, ive only gone to the new one

which is even more expensive, with crappier posh food, and worst service

i didnt even know that they reopened the french quarter one

i avoid the french quarter unless im heavily intoxicated

theres a monas in the marigny... so its just a short walk, you should check it out. its on frenchman i think

all the other good places are uptown or in midcity or across the river in the west bank

you should check out jaque-imos on oak street

its expensive, but its the only place in the city to have cajun/creole vegan food... and its damn good too

to get there all you have to do is take the st charles line street car and get off at oak street and walk down oak like 4 blocks

going there during jazzfest is great because bands play next door at the Maple Leaf bar, so you can listen to good music while you wait for a table

one last thing... a word of caution to you

old dog new trick lies about things being vegan... in the past they have 'mistakenly' served items with dairy that they said were vegan

Caroline
#11 Old 06-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

You're a character Caroline.

Old Dog New Trick is on Frenchman street.

I've recently been going to the Maple Leaf to see Rebirth. They're so great!
#12 Old 06-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

i love rebirth!

i havent seen them in so long

so old dog new trick didnt open back up their first location? the one by the police station?

what department in whole foods do you work at, mikie?

hehe, do you have any power to make them carry some more vegan things?

Caroline
#13 Old 06-11-2003, 04:34 PM

I've only been in the Maple Leaf once, as I'm underage and it takes a lot to get them to let me in.

Caroline- the fact that I've only been to their new location, which, of course would have a completely different staff, most likely explains our differing opinions of the place. I've been to jaque-imos before, but not since I stopped eating seafood and dairy. I didn't even think of it being good for vegans, but I'll definatly try it.
#14 Old 06-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Caroline, I work in the front end. I'm a supervisor. You'll see me overreacting, running around half-crazed, yelling at cashiers, and answering all the phone calls inbetween.

My constant complaining has gotten the vegan lunch options to include a mediterranean plate, and an asian plate. They're carrying tempeh dishes, and recently they had a tempeh-ka-bob. (It was good!)

I think I've conquered prepared foods... I may very well be off to bakery next.

My name's Mike P on the name-tag! Look for me! Wouldn't that be funny if we recognized each other... or if you were one of *those* customers that I can't stand.
#15 Old 06-16-2003, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

ill look for you next time i go there

im sure i am one of those customers... as im always complaining

although in my mind 'those customers' are the free range chicken eating, huge-ass suburban driving, 7-word coffee drinking posh *******s

my hatred for whole foods is enormous, and was even before they opened the new one putting all natural out of business

if you feel like trying to get some more yummy vegan stuff at whole foods: theres a whole foods in annapolis maryland that carries The Best vegan chocolate mousse...

you get it in their prepared foods area

Caroline
#16 Old 06-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh man!

This ought to be interesting!
#17 Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 PM

I live in Lafayette!!
#18 Old 07-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Im not a LA resident but I just found this link some of you might be interested in.

If you live in Baton Rouge you can get a free pet ID tag from this site.

http://www.caaws.org/free_pet_tag.htm

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#19 Old 08-29-2004, 09:17 PM

Hi all.......

I am newly vegetarian........I agree that it is hard to eat healthy in LA, especially here in the NO area...........Does anyone find that people in NO do not really respect vegetarians? I have been looked at strange when I ask about certain dishes and respond that I do not eat seafood when offered seafood as a choice when I say that I am a vegetarian............

I went to the Whole Foods on Magazine for the first time last week........I really liked the set up.........I personally cannot wait until the store in Metairie opens up in April/May..........The Health Food stores in Metairie do not carry Tempah...........If these Health Food stores want business then they should have a variety of food items.....
#20 Old 09-05-2004, 03:20 PM

I live about an hour from NOLA in Thibodaux and our health food store here is pretty good. They will order stuff for me if its not in stock & the ladies who run it are really helpful. But alas, the strange looks @ crawfish & carb boils are plenty. We have seasons down here but they are rabbit, deer, dove, schupic (shoe pick is a fish) and even frog. No one really understands how I could give it up but they still love me & my choices. My husband works in Lafayette so I'm looking forward to see what they have to offer there. Any one out there with suggestions?
#21 Old 09-25-2004, 06:32 PM

Looks like I'm the first in Baton Rouge to reply! Just found this board a few days ago. I've been a veg for several years now. They're building a Whole Foods here, and I'm excited about that. There are some good local natural foods stores, but they're SMALL and don't have a lot of selection, so I usually end up finding what I can at Super Target or Albertson's. Yeah, so....I guess that's it :-)
#22 Old 12-22-2004, 12:28 AM

Nice to know I'm not the only one. Let me know when the Whole Foods is up & where it is. I shopped at one in Nashville & loved it. I have family in Baton Rouge & visit alot so another reason to go is great.
#23 Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to work at the one on Magazine Street and the one on Esplanade. Now I live in San Francisco though. I miss NO a lot.
#24 Old 03-17-2005, 03:40 PM

I live in Sulphur, LA. Any other vegans in this area?
#25 Old 05-03-2005, 02:17 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

wow, am I gonna be all alone in NOLA now?

;(

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#26 Old 05-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

No! There are others! My friend owns/runs the veggie Nola website:

http://www.veggienola.com/

There's also a Nola LJ community:

http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=vegnola
#27 Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

sweet! thanks mikie. i love it down here. the air is so sweet.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#28 Old 02-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a new veggie in Lafayette. I'm sure everyone knows by now that the Whole foods in BR is open, though I haven't been there yet.

I haven't had any problems while eating out. I live on the Southside and there are lots of veg friendly options here, though I'm not vegan, nor terribly strict about ingredients. McAlisters and Roly Poly have veggie menus, Olive Garden has lots of meatless dishes, and I've had good luck at small places like Aztecas. I've had to send things back few times (meat in a cheese enchilada sauce?) but no one has ever given me any grief.

My inlaws are another issue. My mil made a special dish for me for christmas and put crab in it. Ya know, cause crab isn't an animal. Yeah apparently a little bit of sausage in veggie soup also qualifies as vegetarian. A woman I know recently told me that she's never heard of a vegetarian child. (Ben isn't veg, but only very recently took an interest in meat). Whatever.

We're all learning together.
#29 Old 03-15-2006, 08:24 PM

I'm a new Vegan from Pineville which is in Rapides parish. Anyone close to it or no where it is? lol There are NO vegan places to eat or health food stores I can go to SubWay and get something but it would be nice to have a place I can go and now that no matter what I order it'll be Vegan friendly.
#30 Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=hippymama]I'm a new veggie in Lafayette. I'm sure everyone knows by now that the Whole foods in BR is open, though I haven't been there yet.

I'm in Lafayette and also a new veggie! I just visited the Whole Foods Market in BR yesterday. I was in awe. We need one here in Lafayette. As a matter of fact, I asked them if there were any plans of putting one in Lafayette and the man told me there IS talk of building one here, but it may be 3 or 4 years down the road....nothing definete yet. They're looking at the demographics of the area and having to acquire land. So they're talking about it, so let's keep our fingers crossed!

I haven't had any problems while eating out. I live on the Southside and there are lots of veg friendly options here, though I'm not vegan, nor terribly strict about ingredients. McAlisters and Roly Poly have veggie menus, Olive Garden has lots of meatless dishes, and I've had good luck at small places like Aztecas. I've had to send things back few times (meat in a cheese enchilada sauce?) but no one has ever given me any grief. QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll have to check these places out. I'm not aware of too many restaurants in the area that have vegetarian menus.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page