Kansas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2003, 06:11 PM

Heh, I love how desolate this thread is! I don't know if there are any other Kansans out there or not, but if so, go ahead and post here, maybe we can organize some KS discussions or at least find some ppl around here of likeminds no matter when, I'll continue to check back!
#3 Old 05-29-2003, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Let's start a Kansas raw food organization!

p.s. I'm not from Kansas, just didn't want you to feel alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-24-2003, 05:37 PM

heh, thanks there oatmeal, although there doesn't seem to be too much interest in that! I'll work on grassroots for awhile. hehe.
#5 Old 08-12-2003, 11:22 PM

Hi I'm from Kansas. South east corner. Lived in Kansas since 1986. with exception of 8 years. Then I was in Missouri, but did not really care for it. I'm not a vetetarian yet, but just beginning.
#6 Old 08-30-2003, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to live in Kansas...does that count? I've been in Nebraska for over ten years though. Is it still as hard to eat veg*n as is use to be down there?
#7 Old 08-31-2003, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkie View Post

I used to live in Kansas...does that count? I've been in Nebraska for over ten years though. Is it still as hard to eat veg*n as is use to be down there?

It sure is. I have been looking for stores that sell and there far and few in between. And the same goes for eating out. But I'll keep on looking.
#8 Old 04-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Good lord, this is just sad!! I live in Ellis ... Population around 2000? 15 miles west of Hays? Anyone? Western Kansas? Halfway between Kansas City and Denver? Does that make it a little easier to find??

I have not had much trouble with vegetarian stuff around here - since finding the "natural" section of the grocery store I go to, I've been in heaven ... Going vegan would surely be another story, but I think it would be possible.
#9 Old 04-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to Kansas next month!

I went there for a week last summer... my best friend moved to Lawrence for college so I try to go as often as I can, which isn't enough. It's nice seeing all the green. And, KU has a very, very nice gym.
#10 Old 07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskedi View Post

And, KU has a very, very nice gym.

I agree, PSUs recreation facility is ghetto in comparison.

I'm going to Kansas, probably sometime in July, not looking forward
#11 Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 AM

so, kansans... theres a college program in kansas that i would totally go to if it were not for my fears of non vegan friendly republicans , so my question is how easy is it to be an atheist, anarchist, feminist vegan at kansas state university? are there other vegans at least in town?

im a portlander, so im use to all sorts of friendly veganness here, and dont really want to leave it for 2 years if i dont know what im getting into....

its the bakery science program i would go to, its the only one in the country.
#12 Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie1764 View Post

so, kansans... theres a college program in kansas that i would totally go to if it were not for my fears of non vegan friendly republicans , so my question is how easy is it to be an atheist, anarchist, feminist vegan at kansas state university? are there other vegans at least in town?

im a portlander, so im use to all sorts of friendly veganness here, and dont really want to leave it for 2 years if i dont know what im getting into....

its the bakery science program i would go to, its the only one in the country.

There are at least other vegans in town but Manhattan is very, very, very different from Portland.
#13 Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Susie - As Remilard said, Manhattan is pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum from Portland. However, I will say that Manhattan is (as far as I know) more veggie-friendly than Hays, which is out west and where I go to school at. Because it's a university town, I don't think you should fear the conservatives too much - from what I've seen, university towns are typically more open. And, since it is temporary (2 years is not too bad), I think you would be fine. Best of luck, whatever you decide!
#14 Old 01-13-2006, 06:05 PM

thank you! im keeping kansas in mind, but i can always studie food science instead of baking science and do it in any state. so ive got a lot of time to decide
#15 Old 01-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Beginner

kansas isn't so bad - i lived there for about 3 years or so. i went to wichita state for most of my college career. i didn't spend a lot of time in manhattan, but i did go sometimes (my loser ex's ex-best friend's dad own's lucky mac's liquor store).

wichita has so many restaurants that i'm sure it isn't too bad, but i hadn't yet given up eggs, dairy or chicken when i lived there, so i can't say for certain.

anyway, i miss wichita remilard, don't fear, ks isn't as bad as you think.

and i'm a very democratic vegan
#16 Old 04-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised there's not more KS veg*ns. Maybe not... my doctor didn't even know what veganism was.... could be because I'm in north eastern KS... regardless, people seem pretty open to it as far as I can tell
#17 Old 04-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Kansas veg*n. I live in central KS (Hutchinson) and there's not terribly much in the way of veg*nism here... Bringing vegan cookies just confused my history class.

There is this yoga sort of spiritualization with nature thing that always has vegan foods and such once a month that some artistic group hers sponsors, but I've never been there. I know maybe two other vegetarians here?

It's rough at times, but over all, it's okay.

However, I'd laugh at anyone trying to be veg at KSU... I don't know if that's possible, however, Kansas University and Wichita State University may be easier, especially KU and their liberal hippieness. (Which is why I'm probably going to KU.)
#18 Old 06-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, this has been dead for awhile... anyway.. I'm gonna be making frequent trips to Manhattan this comming month (like weekly for awhile) and will most likely need to find some places to grab a bite to eat at. I'm not too far from there, but considering how long it'll take to go back & fourth + how long I'll be there... anyway... just wondering if there's any good resturaunts there that have vegan friendly items/options.
#19 Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to live in Manhattan (about 10+ years ago). I wasn't veg at the time. But I do remember that the Lone Star / Hibachi Hut (where I worked) had decent veg options, and Rusty's bar had a GREAT veggie sandwich (and dangerous Long Island Teas). I saw some great bands in Manhattan, and partied my ass off!

Lawrence isn't too far away, and has a VERY strong alternative/punk/bluegrass/jazz scene. Plenny veg food to be found.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#20 Old 07-20-2006, 08:01 AM

I was born in Wichita, kansas. I miss it a lot. I moved to virginia though.
#21 Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM

Kansas City has a fairly sizeable vegan population... well, that's not true. But I have several vegan friends, a few of whom now attend Kansas University. If you need to go to a state school in Kansas, I would recommend KU. Lawrence is much more liberal than Manhattan.
#22 Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomotao View Post

Kansas City has a fairly sizeable vegan population... well, that's not true.

Actually, KC is pretty good. I'm on the MO side, though... But VegKC (unofficially) extends all the way out to Lawrence.
#23 Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 PM

I'm an OP vegan. I think I'm the only one. O_o I've never even met a vegetarian here.
#24 Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a bunch of OP people in VegKC. One of the co-organizers lives in OP.
#25 Old 12-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I'm a Lawrence, KS vegan. As others have mentioned, this is the home of the University of Kansas (KU). Politically, we are a little blue speck out in the red sea of kansas. I have not been a student for a very, very long time, however, I enjoy living in this University Town. It is centrally located, so that my husband is able to commute to Topeka, while I commute to Kansas City for work. We have a community owned food co-op called The Community Mercantile ('The Merc'), and it has the best selection of organic produce of any place that I have ever shopped in my life (and I've lived a number of places). A Wild Oats came to town but could not compete with The Merc, and ended up shutting down. The Merc has a very strong loyal following.
#26 Old 12-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

We have a community owned food co-op called The Community Mercantile ('The Merc'), and it has the best selection of organic produce of any place that I have ever shopped in my life (and I've lived a number of places). A Wild Oats came to town but could not compete with The Merc, and ended up shutting down. The Merc has a very strong loyal following.

Recently? A Wild Oats closed in Lawrence in the 90s as well.
#27 Old 12-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Remilard,

No, I didn't mean recently. I was just referring to the history that I had heard. I'm sure you are right that it was in the 90's. It happened before I moved to Lawrence. Are you from Lawrence?
#28 Old 05-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Where's all the Kansan veg*ans? xD No wonder I've never met a fellow animal lover. I guess I'm doomed.
#29 Old 05-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

They make vegans in Kansas?
#30 Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

ha ha.

guess who's moving to kansas in less than 2 weeks. I'll have to change my user name.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page