New to Iowa - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
New to Iowa

Anyone here from Iowa? I recently moved here. Ames area



danakscully64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Anyone here from Iowa? I recently moved here. Ames area
I'm not in Iowa, but how is it going, have you settled in? is the fresh corn the best??

I have a young coworker from Iowa, and she is always flying back for long weekends.
LedBoots is offline  
#3 Old 07-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
We haven't fully settled in, there are still quite a lot of boxes. It took my body a solid 4 days to recover, I felt like I had the flu (body aches). Part of it was moving boxes, straining my back, dropping something on my foot, splitting my foot open at the heal, and tripping on cement and hurting my knee. I'm very accident prone, as you can see We haven't had any corn yet, but I have some in my fridge. The odd part is it's been imported from another state


So far, I really like the area. It's calm, our apartment is amazing, and the city has so much in it. We have Starbucks, Target, game stores, restaurants, fast food, Best Buy, a book store, etc.



karenlovessnow and LedBoots like this.
danakscully64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 07-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
We haven't fully settled in, there are still quite a lot of boxes. It took my body a solid 4 days to recover, I felt like I had the flu (body aches). Part of it was moving boxes, straining my back, dropping something on my foot, splitting my foot open at the heal, and tripping on cement and hurting my knee. I'm very accident prone, as you can see We haven't had any corn yet, but I have some in my fridge. The odd part is it's been imported from another state


So far, I really like the area. It's calm, our apartment is amazing, and the city has so much in it. We have Starbucks, Target, game stores, restaurants, fast food, Best Buy, a book store, etc.
Moving is hard on the body, that's for sure! I'm glad you are settling in.
LedBoots is offline  
#5 Old 07-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
You're less than an hour away from Iowa Speedway, so there's a good thing.

If you plan on traveling at all, get used to corn fields. Endless corn fields. Punctuated by soybean fields and very occasionally sunflower fields.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
#6 Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
I live in Iowa, but you and I are about an hour and a half apart. I live in rural S.E. iowa.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#7 Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Moving is hard on the body, that's for sure! I'm glad you are settling in.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
You're less than an hour away from Iowa Speedway, so there's a good thing.

If you plan on traveling at all, get used to corn fields. Endless corn fields. Punctuated by soybean fields and very occasionally sunflower fields.
Not really, the Speedway isn't my thing

Oh yes, there are corn fields everywhere. It's MUCH prettier than traveling through NV, AZ, and UT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
I live in Iowa, but you and I are about an hour and a half apart. I live in rural S.E. iowa.
You should move closer, so we can be friends and go to Whole Foods together



melimomTARDIS likes this.
danakscully64 is offline  
#8 Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
I dont know what I would do if I had access to a whole foods store! I would probably walk out with a cart full of all those cool vegan foods the bloggers eat.
danakscully64 and LedBoots like this.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#9 Old 07-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
I dont know what I would do if I had access to a whole foods store! I would probably walk out with a cart full of all those cool vegan foods the bloggers eat.
That's what I did! I spent $120 on 3 bags of groceries. Here are some of the vegan items I picked up:






melimomTARDIS likes this.
danakscully64 is offline  
#10 Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
when is dinner?
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#11 Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
tonight I am having a cheeseless pizza from the local caseys, I'd be willing to share, or at least trade, for a bowl of vegan mac!
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#12 Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
when is dinner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
tonight I am having a cheeseless pizza from the local caseys, I'd be willing to share, or at least trade, for a bowl of vegan mac!
Dinner is at 5

Casey's.... General store? You can get real pizzas from general stores? Not just the little microwave burritos and such?

A box is a whole serving, but I may be able to send you a few bites your way



melimomTARDIS likes this.
danakscully64 is offline  
#13 Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
I know its weird, but Casey's general store/gas station makes really nice pizzas for order. they also make donuts and subs in stores as well.

They handmake the dough for the pizza, donuts, and sandwiches, in store. I highly recommend it
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#14 Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
This makes me want to move to Iowa!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karenlovessnow is offline  
#15 Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
I know its weird, but Casey's general store/gas station makes really nice pizzas for order. they also make donuts and subs in stores as well.

They handmake the dough for the pizza, donuts, and sandwiches, in store. I highly recommend it
I'll check it out! Apparently Kum and Go has a kitchen for sandwiches in the morning? That's what the commercial said. That's just weird. I'm used to gross gas station convenient stores I will miss the crunch ice of AMPM (which I rarely got anyway, it's like Sonic's ice)


Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
This makes me want to move to Iowa!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come on over, it's nice here! It snows though, and rains. It's weird, stuff comes from the sky other than sun



danakscully64 is offline  
#16 Old 07-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
Iowa is a weird place. good weird, but weird nonetheless. some of the deeply rural restaurants make me long for a gas station's fare. LOL.

People love deep fried pork tenderloin sandwiches and made-rite loose meat hamburgers down were I am. If the resturaunt specializes in either of those items, I know I'm going to have an interesting time trying to find something on the menu for myself.

Sometimes you gotta make do with a pint of budwiser, an order of fries, and a crunchy iceberg salad. Oh well, I like beer.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#17 Old 07-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
Iowa is a weird place. good weird, but weird nonetheless. some of the deeply rural restaurants make me long for a gas station's fare. LOL.

People love deep fried pork tenderloin sandwiches and made-rite loose meat hamburgers down were I am. If the resturaunt specializes in either of those items, I know I'm going to have an interesting time trying to find something on the menu for myself.

Sometimes you gotta make do with a pint of budwiser, an order of fries, and a crunchy iceberg salad. Oh well, I like beer.
If you lived in Des Moines or Ames, I think you'd be happier with Iowa

California can be the same way though. People love bacon there. I've had to go hungry many times before.

Beer? I don't see beer in anything you just listed. I read water, fries, and salad. Budweiser is water, isn't it?



danakscully64 is offline  
#18 Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
so random, i am from california. ventura county!
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#19 Old 07-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
so random, i am from california. ventura county!
And you moved to Iowa willingly?



melimomTARDIS likes this.
danakscully64 is offline  
#20 Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Wait until winter and let me know if you still like it.
karenlovessnow likes this.
Wolfie is offline  
#21 Old 07-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Wait until winter and let me know if you still like it.
I'm worried. I've never been in temperatures below 0. The coldest place I've ever been was 14 degrees (Sweden).



danakscully64 is offline  
#22 Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
You will survive, but it sucks.
danakscully64 likes this.
Wolfie is offline  
#23 Old 07-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
You're relatively far south for the really cold stuff. Winter will probably be pretty OK for you.

So .... have any experience with tornadoes?

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
#24 Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Ignore him, he's from MN. His brain is probably still frozen. Winter will suck.

Tornadoes suck as well.
karenlovessnow likes this.
Wolfie is offline  
#25 Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
You're relatively far south for the really cold stuff. Winter will probably be pretty OK for you.

So .... have any experience with tornadoes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Ignore him, he's from MN. His brain is probably still frozen. Winter will suck.

Tornadoes suck as well.


It gets below zero here, that's not really cold?

I worry about tornadoes, but I know when people move to CA they worry about earthquakes (when they're not so bad). According to people around here, tornadoes aren't a huge issue here (not like OK).



danakscully64 is offline  
#26 Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
Quote:
It gets below zero here, that's not really cold?
It gets a little monotonous when we go several days without cracking a degree, but that doesn't happen too often.

And cold? Worse I've seen was a stretch in the late 90s, when the gas pedal on my car actually froze to the floor for close to a week.

Quote:
I worry about tornadoes, but I know when people move to CA they worry about earthquakes (when they're not so bad). According to people around here, tornadoes aren't a huge issue here (not like OK).
I'm a lifetime resident of these parts and I've never had a touchdown closer than a mile away. From 74-79 my family was in north Iowa, and going in the basement was dang near a weekly occurrence. Scary, yes. But not much more than that.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
#27 Old 07-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
I understand Iowa is prone to being struck by meteorites too! Actually, the good news is, as long as it's below freezing, there will be no tornadoes....

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#28 Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
Every once in awhile you'll get thundersnow, but that's cool. A lightening storm crossed with a snowstorm ...
LedBoots likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
#29 Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
It gets a little monotonous when we go several days without cracking a degree, but that doesn't happen too often.

And cold? Worse I've seen was a stretch in the late 90s, when the gas pedal on my car actually froze to the floor for close to a week.


I'm a lifetime resident of these parts and I've never had a touchdown closer than a mile away. From 74-79 my family was in north Iowa, and going in the basement was dang near a weekly occurrence. Scary, yes. But not much more than that.
Does that mean you didn't have to go to work for the whole week?

We don't have a basement. Apparently they're not in every home around here. Is that a good sign?

According a website: "Ames, IA is a Moderate Risk area for tornados. According to records, the largest tornado in the Ames area was an F5 in 1976 that caused 9 injuries and 0 deaths."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I understand Iowa is prone to being struck by meteorites too! Actually, the good news is, as long as it's below freezing, there will be no tornadoes....
Meteorites? Neat! But hopefully they just hit crops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
Every once in awhile you'll get thundersnow, but that's cool. A lightening storm crossed with a snowstorm ...
We got a thunderstorm on our first or second night. I like thunderstorms! The cats aren't too sure about them though.



danakscully64 is offline  
#30 Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
Quote:
Does that mean you didn't have to go to work for the whole week?
If memory serves, I took the bus. At least I think that's where my memories of walking a half mile to the bus stop when it was 20 below come from.
danakscully64 likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off