Indiana Vegetarians in Indiana - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Howdy ya'll! I'm from Chesterton *near Michigan City and the Indiana Dunes*. I have two veg friends at school, so I'm grateful for that

But I'm thinking about getting a group together to talk about vegetarianism/veganism, and two people it pretty pathetic. It's a start though, ya know? Veggie Boards has helped me through a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 PM

*waves* I'm in Indiana, but from the opposite part of the state - Madison.
#3 Old 11-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Wow not many Indiana veg heads?! I live near Ft.Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm surprised as well, although as my name states I haven't converted yet, still a meat eating Hoosier lol.
#5 Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM

Wow, not very many Indiana veggies at all!

I just moved to Indiana in December. I live in Indianapolis.
#6 Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in Bloomington some of the time.
#7 Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I live in Bloomington some of the time.

cool I'm in the Lawrence area
#8 Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 AM

Hello! I'm a strict veggie living in Ft. Wayne. Sadly, I don't know a single other person that has remotely similar eating and lifestyle habits.
#9 Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Hi! I am a vegan living in the downtown Indianapolis area. With easy highway access to just about all my favorite vegetarian and vegan stop shops.I am blessed!!! Some of my favorites are the Georgetown health food store, near 56th and georgetown and Indian restaurant near 43rd and lafayette rd. (used to be Udopi's) and alot of other places in Broadripple which offer vegetarian and vegan friendly foods and Earth Goods in Broadripple.
#10 Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM

I'm sort of reviving a dead thread but, I'm a vegetarian, trying-to-become-more-vegan in Fort Wayne. I'm pretty new to it - only about a month or so now. I know seriously no one who shares my diet, and my friends and family tease me pretty badly for it, but oh well, their loss. I was wondering if the other Fort Wayne vegetarians have ever eaten at The Loving Cafe? My dad rolls his eyes, but I'd love to go to my first veggie restaurant.
#11 Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm from Fort Wayne too...and just joined VB today Just became a vegetarian for both ethical and dietary reasons. My bf has been to Loving Cafe and while the food was good, he didn't care for the large amount of "faux meats" they had. His opinion was that it's hard enough to eat out already if you want something more than a re-heated boca burger. He could have un-chicken, faux mutton, veggie crumbles at home. He was hoping they've have interesting and unique original recipes that made for a complete meal without resorting to frozen things.

That said, what he had was delicious. It's tough to be a veg in Fort Wayne!
#12 Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 AM

It really is. It's especially hard for me, being a teenager who can't drive to get the food I want/need because I basically have to beg my mom to go to the Co-Op or the Health Foods store and they're not exactly close to where I live. XD
#13 Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 AM

Where does your family normally shop (if you dont mind my asking)? I work in weird parts of town (I'm a freelancer so my job takes me all over) and I prefer to stop at the store on my way home. That means I stop where ever is close...and I have to make do with the selection they have.

Kroger has a nice health food selection, though there's not a ton of variety. Meijer is probably the "best" major grocery for veg eating based purely on size. The downside? they hide their specialty products in odd places.

If you live near downtown, check out some of the places down there to try to eat. Toscanis has pizzas pastas and salads with delicious toppings that are vegetarian (not vegan) friendly. Dash-In (changed ownership, not sure if it's still 21 and older...but they do deliver and offer carryout) has AWESOME veg*n friendly foods. If you'll do cheese, check out their grilled cheese and soup combo. It's to die for! Their pesto soup is out of this world

Also, my very favorite place, Muchie Emporium/Dicky's Wild Hare/Lucky's Terrapin Grill ...not all the same company anymore but they're all over the city. They make the most delicious homemade veggie burgers, red beans n rice, and these spicy potato wedges (with a cucumber yogurt dressing)...they're AWESOME. Also, Jefferson Pointe has FlatTop (if you're ever down that way). Easy to go veg there and still have tasty stuffs for your family.

On Lima Road (near I 69) there's also House of Greens which i hear is STELLAR! Might be worth checking out as well.
#14 Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM

We actually go all over the place, really. My mom is really reluctant to buy the organic, health food store stuff, but I'm trying to visit the Three Rivers Co-Op and Health Food store more frequently. It just stinks that it is usually more expensive.. We live close to the new WalMart that was put up, so sometimes we go there, mostly for convenience, and I haven't done much looking there, really. I like the little health food/veggie alcove in Kroger, it's so nice that they keep everything together. My mom likes to shop especially at Sam's Club though because she's a member, though all I really eat from there are the bulk cerials and the Cutie clementines.. I love them.

I've never really looked at Meijer for veggie food.. but maybe I should look into it one day.

We're actually in the Lima road area, and I've been to House of Greens. They do have a lot of variety in their salads, but I've found that most of their composed, "main" choices are with meat. That made me rather sad, actually, the name is a little decieving, haha. But they do have a sort of Subway-like "assembly" station with all kinds of salad toppings, which I might have to try eventually too. It's a very cute place though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page