Indiana - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#151 Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

The Udupi in Indy is a good vegetarian resturant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 11-11-2006, 02:58 PM

Hello all. I'm a new Indianapolis resident, just moved from Gainesville, FL. I have to admit, I haven't been too successful with vegan options here so far. Its quite different from Gainesville =)

I second evilvegan, Udupi cafe is awesome!! The Indian Bazaar next door is also great for Indian ingredients and just fun to explore.
#153 Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Three Sisters in Broad Ripple has some good vegan options on the menu as does the Abbey downtown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 11-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Three Sisters, eh? I have seen that before! (North Judson, IN here.)
#155 Old 01-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

So what's happenin guys?
#156 Old 02-24-2007, 01:13 PM

I just thought I'd give this a bump. Any other vegetarian Hoosiers around? I'm in Indy, and I was born in Evansville, have also lived in Fort Wayne (in between living in various other states.)
#157 Old 02-25-2007, 05:37 PM

I'm in Muncie. Not a great place for veg*ns. LOL
#158 Old 02-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Muncie's not great for vegetarians? Or Indiana in general? I wouldn't have thought Muncie would be too bad, since I find university towns are generally a bit more veg-friendly.

I don't think I've been to Muncie since I was a kid, but there are several people who live in there who go to my church. Well, I guess more of them live in Anderson, but at least a few from Muncie.
#159 Old 02-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in South Bend, but my new job has me traveling all over the state... so anyone have any recommendations of good vegetarian restaurants in Indy or Fort Wayne?
#160 Old 02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I'm in South Bend, but my new job has me traveling all over the state... so anyone have any recommendations of good vegetarian restaurants in Indy or Fort Wayne?

Lucky! Take me with you, will ya? I need out of the house.
#161 Old 02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not vegetarian, but I ate at Three Sisters Cafe in Indy and really enjoyed it. http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/profile/3960610
#162 Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Three Sisters comes up a lot. I've also heard that Broad Ripple Brewery has several veg options and they're even a nonsmoking bar. Udupi is Indian food and is apparently the only completely veg restaurant in Indy.

The best "burger" in town (my opinion so far) is at Claddagh Irish Pub. They have a big Boca burger and with the bleu cheese crumbles it really reminds me of a real burger, maybe more like a bison one since they aren't greasy like regular burgers. I don't know why it tastes better than other Bocas I've had, but it does.

indyethnicfood.com is a handy resource too. Going to anything rated in their top ten and/or reading reviews to see if a place is worth a try is a good bet.
#163 Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Michiana folks,

Our rabbit rescue is expanding its program to the Mishawaka Petco this weekend. We'll have altered, litter trained rabbits from shelters for adoption at the store, and they've stopped selling baby buns from breeders. Hooray!

My family lives in South Bend and is all worried about what to feed me this weekend. I told them I'd take care of it! Dad's 60th BD party food is of course KFC and meatballs... go figure. I'm taking a big crock pot of veggie chili to share.
#164 Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I found this list of veggie-friendly restaurants in Indianapolis.

http://www.chaceonline.org/veggierest.htm

Also, Meatout in Indy is on July 28 this year.

Re: family party this weekend, the veggie chili was a hit (they ate it all!) and my mom subbed one ingredient to make her potato dish legal for me. In a bizarre twist, my brother and mom were at KFC picking up food for the party while demonstrators took off their clothes outside to protest KFC's cruelty.
#165 Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Hey that's cool about the KFC pickets and your successful veggie chili! If enough Indiana folk TRY veggie food, they might discover how wonderful it is. Wouldn't it be great to live in the home of the "roasted veggies" rather than the "breaded tenderloin"?

Many thanks for the list of veggie friendly restaurants in Indy.
#166 Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah+13 View Post

Muncie's not great for vegetarians? Or Indiana in general? I wouldn't have thought Muncie would be too bad, since I find university towns are generally a bit more veg-friendly.

The university doesn't seem to make much difference, IMO. There aren't any restaurants that are specifically vegetarian. Most of the restaurants are chains, and you're lucky if you can get one or two vegetarian options - and vegan is even more difficult.

But it could be worse.
#167 Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAmy View Post

Hey Michiana folks,

Our rabbit rescue is expanding its program to the Mishawaka Petco this weekend. We'll have altered, litter trained rabbits from shelters for adoption at the store, and they've stopped selling baby buns from breeders. Hooray!

My family lives in South Bend and is all worried about what to feed me this weekend. I told them I'd take care of it! Dad's 60th BD party food is of course KFC and meatballs... go figure. I'm taking a big crock pot of veggie chili to share.

I haven't checked the Indiana thread in a while, so I missed your post. That's very cool that Petco is now selling rescue rabbits instead of breeders. That Petco is so much more expensive than any other pet stores around so I never go there, but it is in Granger, which is the rich part of town so they probably do okay. There's a new pet store called Canine Crazy opening soon out there that I'm looking forward to checking out.

Next time you're in South Bend try Elia's Mediterranean Restaurant, Star of India, or just Hacienda Mexican Restaurant, all have good vegetarian options.
#168 Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey kpickell. Was just up there again this weekend at a pet event at the Farmers Market. The Tribune interviewed me and ran my pic with the bunny. I closed another adoption at the Petco too!

We ate at Carrabba's, which I like a lot. There were an awful lot of meat counters at the Farmers Market! :/
#169 Old 06-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Next time you're in South Bend try Elia's Mediterranean Restaurant, Star of India, or just Hacienda Mexican Restaurant, all have good vegetarian options.

Kpickell,

I was in South Bend last week..Went to Harmony Market and (my favorite) Garden Patch. I wanted to go to the Indian grocery store behind Star of India, but the manager decided he did not want to open that day.....So my step dad and I were ready to eat and he wanted to go to Country Buffet...not bad at all, the fresh fruit & veggies were great, I totally pigged out...
#170 Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hey kpickell. Was just up there again this weekend at a pet event at the Farmers Market. The Tribune interviewed me and ran my pic with the bunny. I closed another adoption at the Petco too!

We ate at Carrabba's, which I like a lot. There were an awful lot of meat counters at the Farmers Market! :/

That's very cool. I almost went to that event but I had a prior commitment. I used to work at the shelter with the lady who organized that event from Paws n Purrs. I haven't been to Carrabba's yet, but would like to because I love Italian.
#171 Old 07-04-2007, 02:07 AM

Greetings to all.

I want to invite any vegan or aspiring vegans, or just nice people in general in Bloomington Indiana to come be a part of something entirely awesome.

There is a new thing in town called the Blooming-Vegan Brunch.

It is an event that will take place every sunday (at first) in a new location each week. Probably outside while the weather is nice. We will make and serve all vegan food to anyone that wants to come.

It will be a non-profit event and we'll likely charge each person 3-5 dollars for a meal. There will be music and other sweet stuff going on too. The possibilities are endless so if you want to add your own unique touch to this crew, please do so! It will be a place to chill and laugh, talk and exchange ideas. It is not unique to vegans, but by only serving vegan food we will likely attract some good people.

This is entirely created by us, you, and whoever else so there are no rules or regulations and no real way to shoot down your ideas. If you make something happen, then it happens and no one can tell you no.

We need cooks, and people who enjoy life, and food, and chillin.

Please email us at [email protected] to get involved, submit ideas, or be added to the email list.

Thanks,

The ArtOfficial Crew
#172 Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I found this list of veggie-friendly restaurants in Indianapolis.

http://www.chaceonline.org/veggierest.htm

Also, Meatout in Indy is on July 28 this year.

Will be traveling in to Indianapolis to visit family on July 11. Unfortunately we're heading back home just before the Meatout. Any personal recommendations on any of the restaurants in Indianapolis that are listed on the website above? Has anyone eaten at Udupi Cafe, Broad Ripple Brew Pub, Thai Taste, or WB Pizza? I'm intrigued by the vegan stromboli at the latter. Any yeas or nays from those of you who live in Indiana?
#173 Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Reminder: Indianapolis Meatout is this Saturday the 28th.

http://www.chaceonline.org/events.htm

Teacherguy, I hope you found some good food! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. All of those places have good veg*n food.
#174 Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Sure wish I were able to go....Have fun and be sure to tell us about it..
#175 Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

HI! I'm from Indiana. Originally from Evansville. Somehow I wound up out here in the country though. I live about 10 miles from Evansville now. Livin out here with the rednecks. Ye Haw.
#176 Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

For those who live near Evansville....the fall festival. I am going to it. Last year I went but the only day I went the vegetarian booth was closed. I don't remember what day that was either to avoid going that day. Anyone know which day they are closed? I was so mad. Do you know how hard it was to find another food option that wouldn't clog my arteries and make me gain ten pounds right on the spot. Also is it true that the whole thing went trans fat free. I don't see how that's possible but... I love going to socilize with almost everyone I know at one place. How convenient. Plus it's run by the West Side Nut Club and a percentage of the profits go to at least one charity. Many times they choose more than one to donate too.

I hate the food though. Heartattack on a stick anyone?
#177 Old 10-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Living up in Goshen, IN (near South Bend)! Need to look through this thread and see if there's anyone else from the area.
#178 Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiecharms View Post

I live in Indiana

Born & raised in CHESTERTON!!!
#179 Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4mango View Post

Born & raised in CHESTERTON!!!

Hmmmmm..I grew up in Chesterton...Many long years ago...It has changed so much.. I come there often, they have the nicest Jewel store I've ever been in..Also have you been to Molly Bee's? Every kind of bulk products you will need..
#180 Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I know I've said this a million times, but are there any more Fort Wayners here?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page