Indiana - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 10-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'll definatley try to be there, but its going to be all snowy and stuff, so who knows if my parents will let me take the four hour drive....

lovenlight,

linz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-21-2003, 07:26 AM
Banned

I hope there's not a lot of snow, too, Rainbowmoon.

Let's try to plan on January 10 because classes start up again for Skylark on the 12th.

I guess it's possible that I could snatch up a boyfriend in the meantime, but otherwise, it will probably just be plain old me!
#33 Old 10-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm all for January, Udupi Cafe sounds great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-28-2003, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyandbunny View Post

I'm all for January, Udupi Cafe sounds great!

hey any indiana meetup sounds fun. id love to meet some other veggies, since i know none. im in terre haute, so indy would be great for me. jan is good too.

tara
#35 Old 10-31-2003, 05:36 AM
Banned

We look forward to seeing you, Taran!
#36 Old 11-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I would love to come, but I will be on vacation with my family - during Jan 10 - jan 12. I'll be there in spirit.
#37 Old 11-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Banned

I'm sorry you can't make it, Krafty. Have a great vacation!!!
#38 Old 11-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

*bump*

So the plan right now is the Udupi Cafe on January 10th?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#39 Old 11-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Banned

Yeah, that's it, Skylark. Does that work out okay for you? By the way, how are things going with the new hosts?!
#40 Old 11-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Banned

Skylark? Skylark? I'm not on your ignore list, am I? (see ignore list thread)

So how are things with the new 'rents?
#41 Old 11-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey everyone..

I will be in TerreHaute over Thanksgiving. I am curious if there are any decent places to shop for food. I have not been back home in 5 yrs, so i am not up to date on the best place to find yummie vegan food.

I know Krogers tends to be good, but i dont know if they are in that area.

Thanks.
#42 Old 11-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Banned

I'm so sorry, Oneness, but I'm not familiar with the Terre Haute area. Perhaps the people you're visiting will know where to shop(?)
#43 Old 12-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I shopped at Krogers while in Terre Haute. They have an ok selection... not grand, but better then lots of places.
#44 Old 01-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Artichoke's so not on my ignore list! I just hadn't been back to this thread in forever. My parents are worried about the reliability of the car I'd have to drive if I come, plus there may be lots of snow and ice. I'm working the morning shift on Friday, so I'll already be tired if I drive out Friday afternoon/evening. Must PM Artichoke....

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#45 Old 01-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Eek! I know I promised to come, but it's looking like I will be out of town on the 10th. Maybe next time! But this is my only chance to see my mom and dad before the semester starts.
#46 Old 01-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, here's the thing... my coworker Becky's mom just died, and the funeral is Friday night. I didn't know her mom, but Becky seems like she needs all the support she can get. What time are things supposed to happen on Saturday at the Udupi Cafe? I don't recall hearing specifically. I may be able to still come, but it might mean a heck of a lot of driving for me on Saturday.

#47 Old 01-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Banned

Well, everyone who has had regular contact with me knows that the gathering has been canceled. For anyone else who was planning on showing up, I'm sorry, but we are no longer meeting this Saturday.
#48 Old 02-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Beginner

i'm vegan, so everything i mention here will reflect that. i dont give a **** how good a restaurant is if they dont have anything vegan.

i've been to udupi a few times. its in the same strip mall with 2 other indian restaurants on the northwest side. everything is vegetarian, but a lot of stuff isn't vegan. they are pretty good about telling you what is and what isnt if you ask. i've only been there during the buffet, so i dont know if they have non-buffet style service too. i guess indian food is regional, but i dont know which ones are from where. udupi tends to have things that are creamier. india palace (in the same strip mall) and india garden (one downtown and one in broad ripple) tend to have more solid foods. shalimar is good too, but i've only been there once. india garden is my favorite for buffet because they almost always have chana masala or dal makhani(sp? the lentil thing).

three sister's cafe in broad ripple has a lot of vegetarian stuff. their chili is vegan and decent, and for breakfast they have calico hash which is very good. vegetarians will have no trouble finding something there, but vegan is a lot more limited.

the abbey coffee house (intersection of st. clair, massachusetts, and college) has a great vegetarian and vegan menu. they have been adding a lot to their vegan menu lately. the vegan tostada is really good, and the vegan peanut butter cookies are good. the vegan chocolate raspberry cake kind of sucks in my opinion, but other people seem to like it. nice atmosphere.

cheng du (86th and township line) is the ****ing place for lunch. FOUR god damn dollars and you get soup, and entree, and real cloth napkins and everything. vegetable soup is vegan, and i'm pretty sure everything on the vegetarian menu is vegan(about 10 items). they have vegan kung pao chicken (seitan), vegan chicken with cashew nuts, sesame bean curd, etc. you cannot eat this well for less than four dollars. if this place werent 25 minutes away i would eat there every day. dinner is like $8 i think. closed on mondays. this is probably the best value in indianapolis for good vegan food.

thai cafe (broad ripple ave.) great thai place. massaman curry with red rice is really good. padd thai, etc. thai house is also good. i've heard thai garden on south meridian has an all-vegan buffet for lunch, but i dont know if thats true or not. i've never been there. i think the buffet is $10 or $11.

maybe i'll think of more later. if anyone can contribute to this list that would be awesome.
#49 Old 02-14-2004, 04:09 AM

Quote:
I guess it's possible that I could snatch up a boyfriend in the meantime, but otherwise, it will probably just be plain old me!

Consider myself snatched. Yay!
#50 Old 02-14-2004, 04:18 AM
Banned

ETC, thanks so much for that list there. Your information is very helpful!

I haven't really eaten at a restaurant (except Subway when in a bind) since going vegan, and I don't trust places to make my food (at least in an uncontaminated manner), but I certainly would be willing to try Abbey Coffeehouse and/or Cheng Du.

That's awesome that you have that much information. Do the places advertise on their menus that such-and-such item is vegan, or did you have to research it further, like through email or calling the place?

Thanks again!!
#51 Old 02-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Beginner

i have lots of vegan friends and we talk about food constantly. the abbey lists things as vegan/vegan optional on their menu. cheng du does not specify vegan, but you can ask what is in things. i generally go to the restaurant and ask rather than calling. i seriously doubt cheng du has an email address, haha. almost all chinese restaurants have something thats vegan. fried tofu with garlic sauce is very common and if it isn't available, broccoli with garlic sauce usually is. vegetable lo mein is frequently vegan too. thai restaurants can be tricky abotu fish oil, though. usually if you ask one of the younger people at one of those places you have an easier time making them understand that you DON'T want fish oil or eggs or chicken or whatever in your food. "does that have egg in it?" "oh yes! we have egg!" "oh i dont eat eggs." "no egg in that dish." and then you are left still not knowing what on earth is in your food.

bazbeaux pizza (one in broad ripple, one on massachussets) has a vegan pizza and so does WB pizza. i think the owner of wb's wife is vegan. its at allisonville and 62nd.
#52 Old 02-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Banned

So do you go to the vegan meetups in the Indianapolis area, ETC?
#53 Old 02-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Beginner

there are vegan meetups? i just hang out with my friends, haha. i tend to shy away from those sort of things because i'm scared of hippies.
#54 Old 02-15-2004, 07:21 PM

Hello everyone! I am from Columbia City, Indiana, which is about 20 minutes from Fort Wayne. I help run an animal rights group in Fort Wayne and we are trying to get more active members in this area. We are also willing to do a little driving to help out with protests, etc. in other areas. If any of you know of any veg or animal rights groups in your area we could work together with or are interested in helping us out please let me know!!!
#55 Old 02-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhumeToConsume View Post

there are vegan meetups? i just hang out with my friends, haha. i tend to shy away from those sort of things because i'm scared of hippies.

Yes, there are supposed to be meetups, assuming that enough people sign up. Here is the link: http://vegan.meetup.com/

It might be fun! I don't know how many people usually show up or what age bracket it usually is or anything. I imagine it's varied.
#56 Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan_rat View Post

Hello everyone! I am from Columbia City, Indiana, which is about 20 minutes from Fort Wayne. I help run an animal rights group in Fort Wayne and we are trying to get more active members in this area. We are also willing to do a little driving to help out with protests, etc. in other areas. If any of you know of any veg or animal rights groups in your area we could work together with or are interested in helping us out please let me know!!!

Yay!! Indiana vegetarians and vegans are coming out of the woodwork!!
#57 Old 02-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

Wild Oats has FRESH ORGANIC strawberries and blueberries this week!!
#58 Old 02-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

My job is transferring me to Indianapolis... Any reccomendations for Asian Markets? Health Food Stores? Etc... I already know there is a Wild Oats on the north side and a Trader Joes (Not sure where it is though) If anyone has the 411, PM me!

Oh yeah! Whoo Hoo Go Indiana Veggies!
#59 Old 02-19-2004, 08:11 AM

The Wild Oat's there puts Trader Joe's to shame as far as selection. There is also a health food store/chain, forgot the name though. I am sure Artichoke can tell you. I am not sure about Asian markets.
#60 Old 02-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Banned

MonkeyandBunny is coming to Indy?! Yay!!

Yes, there is a Wild Oats on the north side, off of 86th Street.

Then there is Trader Joe's by Castleton (also north side). Also that way is Winding Way Farms, a small health food store. They are both right by the Castleton mall.

Then there is Georgetown Market at I think what is considered the east side, slightly north. I have never been there.

Then there is The Good Earth, another health food store that is on the north side, but I haven't been there, either.

Wild Oats has a deli, but I have yet to check it out. They always have vegan and vegetarian items. I think the Wild Oats is awesome!!!

Do you know which side you will be living on? How did this happen? Okay...maybe I should have written this in a PM, but I'm excited for you (not that Bloomington isn't nice)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page