Illinois Can I make a 43cc mini bike street legal here in Illinois? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought a 43cc mini chopper. It has a headlight, blinkers and brake lights. It only goes about 25-30 MPH but I live in town and I'm close to work. I'd like to LEGALLY be able to drive this to work but it didn't come with a title or anything. Is there any way to legally ride it on the road and get insurance put on it?

Here's the model I have. It's the black chopper.

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/elec...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not in Illinois, but why not call up your local DMV and the local police department.

Call both, since it will be the police that pull you over.

Oh, and when you ask them, tell them that your bike is under 50cc of displacement. In most states, vehicles with less than 50cc fall under their own classification.

Then call your insurance agent, since you want to at least be covered for personal injury if something happens.
#3 Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Illinois

I have called the DMV in illinois and talked to the Secretary of State office too and I know the following facts about moped in IL:

1) You must have a valid drivers licence

a) for a car if under 49cc's

b) for a small motorcycle if between 49 and 150 cc's

c) for a big motorcycle if above 150cc's

2) You must have a title for the moped

3) You must register the moped with the state

4) You most have plates on the moped

5) You must have insurance for the moped.

Quote:
Motorized pedalcycles, often called mopeds, are low-speed, two-wheeled vehicles. They can be pedaled like a bicycle or driven like a motorcycle. Mopeds are intended for limited use on public roadways. Here are some of the responsibilities of moped drivers:

Moped drivers must have a valid driver's license.

LAWS: Moped drivers must obey all signs, signals and traffic laws. They also must obey most bicycle laws.

SPEED: A moped may not go over 30 miles per hour.

PASSENGERS: Moped drivers may carry a passenger only when the moped is made for two people. Equipment must include a passenger seat and a passenger footrest.

EQUIPMENT: If a moped is driven at night, it must have a headlight visible from at least 500 ft. A moped must also have a red reflector on the rear visible from at least 100 to 600 ft.

I live in this hellish state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure. I see a guy drive past my house all the time on what looks like a bicycle frame with a lawnmower motor. He has lights, signals and a plate on it so I assume it's legal. Though I'm not really sure how one goes about getting a VIN and title for something if it doesn't already have those things.

Probably a good idea to call the Secretary of State's office.
#5 Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone. It's not really a moped though. It's pretty close to the ground too but I DO work at/for a jail and see cops ALL THE TIME....I just always forget to ask them. Here's a picture of the one I bought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page