Illinois Coming to Chicago - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I am thinking about driving down to Chicago from the Detroit area. I maybe able to pull off 2 days and was wondering what are the don't miss attractions as well as vegan goodies. Thanks for all the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

The Chicago Diner is definitely a place to go visit. I've never been there myself, but it's supposed to be really good. All vegan food. As for the more touristy attractions, there's Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue (shopping), Millenium Park and a slew of museums on the Museum Campus. You could also go see a baseball game (Go Sox, boo if you're a Tigers fan :P). As for nightlife, Chicago has lots of bars and nightclubs strewn around the downtown Loop area.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#3 Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

I'm not a fan of the Chicago Diner's food (even though everyone else seems to love it) but I'd say their vegan shakes are a must-have! My favorite veg restaurant there is Alice & Friends. They serve Asian-type food and have some great mock meats. I've only been to Karyn's Cooked once, it was good but expensive. Would recommend Pick Me Up Cafe for breakfast (not all vegetarian but they do have great tofu scramble and vegan banana nut french toast).

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM

If you do end up going to the Chicago Diner (which is the overwhelming response you'll get from tons of people if you ask about veg*n food while in the city), try the vegan milkshakes! The food there is kind of hit or miss (I had a big HIT with the buffalo "wings" by the way, awesome...and the black bean burger!). But the milkshakes are a must. That whole neighborhood up by the Diner is a hoot. I lived there when I was in college (DePaul), and there is so much to do. Message if you head up that way and need stuff to do/see (besides Cubs games, please!).
#5 Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

If you want, on the south side of Chicago there is a nice restaurant called Soul Vegetarian East which serves excellent food. Consider it a fusion between vegan cuisine and soul food. Be wary, though as this restaurant does use honey in some of its preparations.

As for attractions, you've got to go to Millenium Park. The Cloud Gate is a fun piece of art to check out (we call it "The Bean" locally). If you're in town on a Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday night, you can also catch a concert by the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra at the Pritzker Pavilion. It's free and thousands of people come to enjoy the Park and the great music.

And of course, Chicago has great bars and clubs...but I'm sure you already knew that.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#6 Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

If you want, on the south side of Chicago there is a nice restaurant called Soul Vegetarian East which serves excellent food. Consider it a fusion between vegan cuisine and soul food. Be wary, though as this restaurant does use honey in some of its preparations.

As for attractions, you've got to go to Millenium Park. The Cloud Gate is a fun piece of art to check out (we call it "The Bean" locally). If you're in town on a Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday night, you can also catch a concert by the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra at the Pritzker Pavilion. It's free and thousands of people come to enjoy the Park and the great music.

And of course, Chicago has great bars and clubs...but I'm sure you already knew that.

Soul Vegetarian East is delish!! I actually have some pics of some of the dishes VegBunny83 and I had when we went there for dinner. I'll post them as soon as I find the cord to my camera.
#7 Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Soul Vegetarian East is delish!! I actually have some pics of some of the dishes VegBunny83 and I had when we went there for dinner. I'll post them as soon as I find the cord to my camera.

Ah, it's good to hear that someone else has tried Soul Veg. I'd like to see those pictures when you get a chance. I'm planning to take my omni friends there (I've already taken one), so I'll try to get some pictures of that up too.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#8 Old 08-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I am almost certain I will be in the area this coming weekend. I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I should stay and somethings I can do in 2 maybe 3 days?
#9 Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 AM

If you mean this weekend, like right now, then I suppose it's too late.

Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend the Harris hostel as a place to stay (http://www.hichicago.org/). It's wicked cheap and very central. It's a bit different, sharing a room with folks perhaps, but you generally get to meet a neat crowd.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 08-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Didn't happen, life got in the way

Will be there for my birthday in October, just need to find travel partners.
#11 Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 PM

My girlfriend and I are visiting Chicago for our first time at the beginning of September. I'm so excited to try some of those restaurants! They sound great! And I'm getting tired of the only one we have here in Green Bay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page