Illinois Potluck Picnic in Chicago anyone?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I was just wondering if there were any parks or anything in Chicago where we could maybe plan a potluck picnic of some sort? I'm moving to Minneapolis in July and thought it'd be a wonderful way to say goodbye to the city of Chicago and meet some of the Illinois VBers before I move. I don't know if this is something do-able or not but I thought I'd throw it out there. What do you guys think? Peace & Love!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2008, 04:03 PM

There's a great park that the Meetup crew uses sometimes, right by the lake on the North Side. There are a couple of nice places in town too...Millennium/Grant Park, the beach by the planetarium, Ohio Street Beach/Olive Park.

<<<misses the beach

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like a good idea to me.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! Some raw stuff would be nice too We'll bring raw.
#5 Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Shall we plan a get together than? I'm sure VegBunny83 will come too!! I think if we set a date and place more people will commit. What does everyone think? I'm planning on being in Minneapolis June 30th and I'll be on vacation from May 16-30. How about Sunday, June 8th? Does that work for everyone? As far as where we should do it, I have NO idea. I don't know the city AT ALL!!
#6 Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably would work for me good!!! I'm self-employee and I have some Sundays work to do... but is the second Sunday of the month, so I may be able to save it :thumbsup:
#7 Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, SonicEarth said Millenium Park would be a good place. How does that sound? Do you think enough people will come? Who do we have so far?

Me

Chicagoan

SonicEarth

VegBunny (I'm pretty sure)

That's not too many...I don't know. What do you guys think?
#8 Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, of course you knew I'd be up for it Nickles! I'll have to bake some awesome vegan chocolate-chocolate chip cookies!

Anyway, I suggested Portage Park as a good location for a picnic. It's on the Northwest side of the city near Irving Park and Central. It's a really big park with lots of trees and nice paths to walk. The layout and structures in the park are really beautiful too. I used to live over that way and I love that park so much!

If you're all leaning toward an area closer to downtown (which it seems like from the previous suggestions) may I suggest near Contemplation Point? It's an area of Foster Avenue Beach that is more secluded and grassy, and has good tree cover, but you can still see the lake and skyline. And there's an area where you can build a fire.

This should be fun!

Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#9 Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Okay, SonicEarth said Millenium Park would be a good place. How does that sound? Do you think enough people will come? Who do we have so far?

Me

Chicagoan

SonicEarth

VegBunny (I'm pretty sure)

That's not too many...I don't know. What do you guys think?

Count Ana too. I'm always 2x1 My wife always comes
#10 Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

What date are we thinking of? I travel a lot for work.
#11 Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk0 View Post

What date are we thinking of? I travel a lot for work.

We're thinking Sunday, June 8th but let us know what would work for you and maybe we can plan around that!!
#12 Old 04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We're thinking Sunday, June 8th but let us know what would work for you and maybe we can plan around that!!

Sundays are generally good.
#13 Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Something to ponder...

The Vegan Chicago Meetup Group has an event the first Saturday of every month, and quite a few VB'ers are members. In the summer, we try to have outdoor events...there have been a few at Foster Beach, and it's been really nice. People bring frisbees and hula hoops, and sometimes four square and/or kickball is/are played. Food-wise, the events have been both catered and potluck-style.

The proposed picnic date, June 8th, is the day after the meetup. There may be a greater chance of meeting more VB'ers if everyone just decides to attend the June VCM (unless some of them elect to spend the night). The potential exists for Michael, Veggie Friendly, tricia soup, Hummus!, Wolfie, denise1021, and kpickell (and maybe even ~Wonder) to be there. dandelion and I will be at the meetup for sure.

The June VCM location has not yet been determined, but there's a good chance it will be outside. I understand wanting a VB-only event, but all of those mentioned above, as well as IamJen and Indian Summer can attest to the wonderfulness of the non-VB'ers at these events.

Just a thought...

Y'all can tell me to mind my own soy wax, and I won't be offended in the slightest.
#14 Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

Something to ponder...

The Vegan Chicago Meetup Group has an event the first Saturday of every month, and quite a few VB'ers are members. In the summer, we try to have outdoor events...there have been a few at Foster Beach, and it's been really nice. People bring frisbees and hula hoops, and sometimes four square and/or kickball is/are played. Food-wise, the events have been both catered and potluck-style.

The proposed picnic date, June 8th, is the day after the meetup. There may be a greater chance of meeting more VB'ers if everyone just decides to attend the June VCM (unless some of them elect to spend the night). The potential exists for Michael, Veggie Friendly, tricia soup, Hummus!, Wolfie, denise1021, and kpickell (and maybe even ~Wonder) to be there. dandelion and I will be at the meetup for sure.

The June VCM location has not yet been determined, but there's a good chance it will be outside. I understand wanting a VB-only event, but all of those mentioned above, as well as IamJen and Indian Summer can attest to the wonderfulness of the non-VB'ers at these events.

Just a thought...

Y'all can tell me to mind my own soy wax, and I won't be offended in the slightest.

That sounds like a great idea to me!! The more the merrier I say although I'm not vegan.. is that bound to bring negativity into my life at the event? I'm down for whatever as long as the day is filled with good food, good people, positive energy, smiling faces, laughter, compassion, understanding and no judgements are made on my dietary choices.
#15 Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarians are welcome at vegan meetup events, they just ask that at potlucks you only bring vegan food. I've been going for a couple years and I'm not vegan.
#16 Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That sounds like a great idea to me!! The more the merrier I say although I'm not vegan.. is that bound to bring negativity into my life at the event? I'm down for whatever as long as the day is filled with good food, good people, positive energy, smiling faces, laughter, compassion, understanding and no judgements are made on my dietary choices.

A vegan lifestyle is not a requirement of becoming a member or attending a Vegan Chicago Meetup shindig, and there is no vegan-policing whatsoever. The events are open to anyone, with the only expectation being that non-vegans in attendance maintain a respectful demeanor. The meetups are primarily social gatherings, and the range of conversation topics are wide and varied. However, good, informative discussions can be had for those who are curious about and/or are exploring veganism and want to learn more. I assure you that everything you mentioned in your last sentence is present during our events, and dandelion (dave) has worked hard and done an amazing job to build and nuture the group into its present state, which = AWESOME!

We love, love, love to eat and have fun!

#17 Old 04-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Vegetarians are welcome at vegan meetup events, they just ask that at potlucks you only bring vegan food. I've been going for a couple years and I'm not vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

A vegan lifestyle is not a requirement of becoming a member or attending a Vegan Chicago Meetup shindig, and there is no vegan-policing whatsoever. The events are open to anyone, with the only expectation being that non-vegans in attendance maintain a respectful demeanor. The meetups are primarily social gatherings, and the range of conversation topics are wide and varied. However, good, informative discussions can be had for those who are curious about and/or are exploring veganism and want to learn more. I assure you that everything you mentioned in your last sentence is present during our events, and dandelion (dave) has worked hard and done an amazing job to build and nuture the group into its present state, which = AWESOME!

We love, love, love to eat and have fun!

Awesome!! Well that sounds GREAT!! I think it would also be a great opportunity for me to pick all the vegan brains in attendance and get TONS of great advice and I'm sure some delicous recipes to help me along my journey TOWARDS veganism!! Is this something we need to RSVP to?

P.S. If anyone cannot make it to Vegan meetup on Saturday and would still like to meet up Sunday I'm down for that too!! Let me know!!
#18 Old 04-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been on some of those meetups too!

I've never been to a summer meetup, but the regular ones... It's like... going to the meetup, eat (while a bit of chit chat) and leaving... Sometimes they do some raffles... It usually last around 2-3 hours.

The problem of these meetups... they are always at 12:00 PM... not a good time because is in the very middle of the day... If you have some business to do, you can almost not attend.

However, the picnic sounds good for me!
#19 Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

If they were any earlier than 12:00 there would be no way I could attend. Late afternoon would be better.

Nickle, you do need to RSVP, but there's not really a limit to the number of people that can come to the outdoor events. Here's the website where you can register and rsvp for meetups: http://vegan.meetup.com/11/
#20 Old 04-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Just wanted to mention there's a little VB meetup in the works for May 10th. I won't be able to make the vegan meetup but four of us are coming up on the 10th. I don't think there are any concrete plans yet, probably just a day of eating/shopping.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=85967

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#21 Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

So much meeting up- my head is starting to spin!!

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page