Illinois Alice and Friends: Really disappointed me - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

We heard that this vegetarian/vegan restaurant/cafe was an outstanding place to eat in.... so we finally went to the place to taste it...

I would rate it 3 out of 10... and I give them three points because they have some nice animal rights stuff for non concerned people and because they are vegan so it will be always better than a regular restaurant...

However, the food really disappointed me:

1 - Most of their food is based on fakes... I'm not against fakes... I also eat fakes sometimes.... but rarely and every day less (and now... Ana and I are going raw, so...) Almost their food was "unchicken, unbeef, unduck... etc.

2- I ordered unchiken almond... do not remember.... The dish was OK... pretty poor amount of love deposited on the food because it did not have the taste like Chicago Diner or not even far from Cousin's I V.

3- The dish also really bothered to me... Several people forgets the real reason of Vegan in terms of healthy eating (not animal rights)... some people have an "omni-vegan" diet... eating meat (fake) and almost not veggies... Well... a vegan should eat a lot of veggies... green intake as insane is the best thing to do.

My dish had the following veggies;

- 4 tiny broccoli heads that tasted all but broccoli

- 6 extremely thin slices of carrot (all together can make half baby carrot) Those either tasted as a carrot.

- Some extremely tiny green pieces of who knows what... because the veggies did not taste like a veggie (the entire dish tasted as ginger)

4- Other one... I ordered vegan dumplings... Well... it was just the plain dumplings... the rest of the dish was empty (with some sauce around the plate

drawing a fancy shape... but not a damn veggie)

5- The vegan spring rolls were fine... but just the main thing... nothing green on the side,

Well... this is my feedback... do not hate me!!! But I really disliked this restaurant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 AM

Hm. It's definitely "meaty", but I've had good experiences there, with plenty of veg. I think the familiarity to animal meat may be helpful wrt persuading omnis to eat there, also.

I wouldn't say it's the healthiest of food, but then neither is what most folk order in mainstream Chinese restaurants either.

If you live on the north side, Chicagoan, I'd highly recommend a trip to Evanston to go to Blind Faith. Absolutely delicious.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 03-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! Yes, I'm on uptown and I love Evanston! I do most of my groceries at the Sam's Club and Wild Oats located there. We'll give it a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i was disappointed too. i've heard good things about the balanced kitchen, but i haven't had a chance to eat there yet.
#5 Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM

I haven't posted in quite awhile, but I felt it necessary to respond to this post.

I have been going to Alice and Friends for at least three years, and it's one of my favorite veg restaurants in the city. I have brought along almost every one of my omni friends, and they have all enjoyed the food and decor. Other than that, I have found the staff to be incredibly friendly and helpful.

Try it again sometime, and go for the "spicy barbeque" or the "korean barbeque" if it's on special, and if you can tolerate cold tofu, the tofu appetizer is very good.

I live much closer to Blind Faith, and some of the food is definitely dee-lish when it's not overly greasy, but the prices are too high for me to go often. I recommend the Macrobiotic plate; brown rice with mushroom gravy, steamed kale, beans, squash, dill pickle, and miso soup, simply yum!
#6 Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Probably should go in the Illinois Thread.

I've been wanting to check them out for a long time. Your negative review of the place makes it sound like somewhere I'd really enjoy. I hate the vegetarian restaurants that are heavy on the vegetables (bleh) and light on the creative meat substitutes.
#7 Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post

The dish was OK... pretty poor amount of love deposited on the food...

Sorry. It just caught my eye. Haha.

Sorry that the restaurant sucks though!!! What a bummer!
#8 Old 03-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan of restaurants that concentrate solely on mock meats. I like fresh food that has a creative texture and taste. So I can understand the OPs reaction.
#9 Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

I'm not a fan of restaurants that concentrate solely on mock meats. I like fresh food that has a creative texture and taste. So I can understand the OPs reaction.

Do you not think that taking vegetables and turning them into a "mock" meat is creative taste and texture?
#10 Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Do you not think that taking vegetables and turning them into a "mock" meat is creative taste and texture?

Sometimes, it depends on the dish. I agree _good_ mock meats are creative and tasty, but a lot of restaurants, that I've been to anyway, tend to carry bland and ordinary mock meats. Sometimes I'm even convinced they bought the mock meats and didn't make them themselves. I don't know if this is the case with the restaurant the OP is talking about, though.
#11 Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Sometimes, it depends on the dish. I agree _good_ mock meats are creative and tasty, but a lot of restaurants, that I've been to anyway, tend to carry bland and ordinary mock meats. Sometimes I'm even convinced they bought the mock meats and didn't make them themselves. I don't know if this is the case with the restaurant the OP is talking about, though.

Point taken....I agree, if its made on premises and not a MSF or Boca type thing.
#12 Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Probably should go in the Illinois Thread.

I've been wanting to check them out for a long time. Your negative review of the place makes it sound like somewhere I'd really enjoy. I hate the vegetarian restaurants that are heavy on the vegetables (bleh) and light on the creative meat substitutes.

Well... there are vegans and vegans...

We have different points of view...

Vegan (regarding health) for me means eating veggies... You are probably that kind of vegan/vegetarian called Faketarian that bases their diet on fakes almost avoiding the amazing greens... So basically like an omni. I guess you almost get lettuce and bananas as for greens/fruits.

Sorry man... but I'm Vegan who bases his diet on heavy vegetables... that is why the word Veggie is almost within the word Vegetarian. Now, I'm Vegan 100% Raw... where there are no place for fakes as they are processed... You do not imagine the amazing living superfoods 100% raw you can find... more creative that a stupid burger. You can find anything you want... extremely creative and 100% veggies (well also add some fruits and nuts) and all obviously, raw.

Alice and Friends won't provide that to us (Ana and me) As they do not have a single raw dish, except their salads that for sure are not the big as Chicago Diner and for paying... I do it at home. But they either satisfied me when I was non Raw Vegan...

It's nice for omni friends... of course... but not for a formed Vegan/Vegetarian who is supposed to eat 200-300% over the daily recommended amount of greens. And of course... being Raw bans me from there...

And again... Vegan dishes and even more Raw dishes has an ingredient called love... some understands, some not... I'm an extremely newbie in Raw food but I start feeling it... and definitely a fake meat dish from Alice and Friends is a lot poorer than a Chicago Diner fake meat dish... as the chef places love on it (Yes... I used to eat fakes, but very sparingly because they are crap)
#13 Old 03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

WUT? I LOVED Alice and Friends... The Lady FIngers are wonderful I make them at home, now

And the Sweet Tang Tsu... and almond chicken... and green tea shake! Yum!
#14 Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only been there once and can't even remember what I had. It probably had tofu in it though.
#15 Old 04-01-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:

You are probably that kind of vegan/vegetarian called Faketarian that bases their diet on fakes almost avoiding the amazing greens... So basically like an omni. I guess you almost get lettuce and bananas as for greens/fruits.

Hey now...

I understand that you didn't enjoy the meal, but you don't have to take a dig at people who did. My trips there have always been tasty, and there definitely weren't leftovers. That doesn't mean that I (or the people I went with) avoid vegetables or fruits.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#16 Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Chicagoan, that was uncalled for. Just because you like fake meat doesn't make you any less of a vegetarian. It didn't die? hey, I'm cool with it, if it's tasty.
#17 Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, maybe was too much... sorry... I was just surprised he/she complained due "lot's of veggie" sorry!!
#18 Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

3- The dish also really bothered to me... Several people forgets the real reason of Vegan in terms of healthy eating (not animal rights)... some people have an "omni-vegan" diet... eating meat (fake) and almost not veggies... Well... a vegan should eat a lot of veggies...

Um no... a vegan should eat what they want. You have no right to dictate to them just because you want to eat healthy. It's their choice, not yours. I personally hate when I order something and most of it is comprised of salad - if I wanted loads of salad, I'd ask for it.
#19 Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Vegan (regarding health) for me means eating veggies... You are probably that kind of vegan/vegetarian called Faketarian that bases their diet on fakes almost avoiding the amazing greens... So basically like an omni. I guess you almost get lettuce and bananas as for greens/fruits.

Sorry man... but I'm Vegan who bases his diet on heavy vegetables... that is why the word Veggie is almost within the word Vegetarian. Now, I'm Vegan 100% Raw... where there are no place for fakes as they are processed... You do not imagine the amazing living superfoods 100% raw you can find... more creative that a stupid burger. You can find anything you want... extremely creative and 100% veggies (well also add some fruits and nuts) and all obviously, raw.

Alice and Friends won't provide that to us (Ana and me) As they do not have a single raw dish, except their salads that for sure are not the big as Chicago Diner and for paying... I do it at home. But they either satisfied me when I was non Raw Vegan...

It's nice for omni friends... of course... but not for a formed Vegan/Vegetarian who is supposed to eat 200-300% over the daily recommended amount of greens. And of course... being Raw bans me from there...

And again... Vegan dishes and even more Raw dishes has an ingredient called love... some understands, some not... I'm an extremely newbie in Raw food but I start feeling it... and definitely a fake meat dish from Alice and Friends is a lot poorer than a Chicago Diner fake meat dish... as the chef places love on it (Yes... I used to eat fakes, but very sparingly because they are crap)

For your info, a vegan is simply someone who doesn't eat any animal products - that's the definition started by the official founders of veganism (who by the way also started the U.K.'s Vegan Society). They started veganism based on ETHICS, not health (though the meals they ate may have been healthy). And what's healthy or unhealthy for you could be the opposite for someone else - I actually NEED a lot more fat in my diet.

The word 'vegan' by the way was deliberately taken from the first few and lasttwo letters of vegetarian. It had nothing to do with vegetables.

And processed food can also be creative. I tried one superfood (wheatgrass) and found it to be disgusting - I only drank it all because I hate wasting food/drink.

One more thing - I love some fake "meats, and I'm a vegan, not an "omni-vegan" or whatever hostile words you choose to try to impose your lifestyle on others. I do not eat fake meats because I have any desire to eat meat. I eat them because I miss the tase of meat, but would never eat meat even if no substitutes were available.
#20 Old 04-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

For your info, a vegan is simply someone who doesn't eat any animal products - that'd the definition started by the official founders of veganism (who by the way also started the U.K.'s Vegan Society). They started veganism based on ETHICS, not health (though the meals they ate may have been healthy). And what's healthy or unhealthy for you could be the opposite for someone else - I actually NEED a lot more fat in my diet.

The word 'vegan' by the way was deliberately taken from the first few and lasttwo letters of vegetarian. It had nothing to do with vegetables.

And processed food can also be creative. I tried one superfood (wheatgrass) and found it to be disgusting - I only drank it all because I hate wasting food/drink.

One more thing - I love some fake "meats, and I'm a vegan, not an "omni-vegan" or whatever hostile words you choose to try to impose your lifestyle on others. I do not eat fake meats because I have any desire to eat meat. I eat them because I miss the tase of meat, but would never eat meat even if no substitutes were available.

Forgive him, for he is pure......
#21 Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's the hippiest post I've seen in a long time. I have no interest in any of your love juices.
#22 Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

That's the hippiest post I've seen in a long time. I have no interest in any of your love juices.

This post FTW
#23 Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Some users told me it was not right how I stated the facts... and I did apologize, so do not keep flaming, please!!!

And LionSprit... in the past you said you wanted to avoid coal and petroleum so do not laugh at me!! I just shared regarding health on a vegan lifestyle and them, I apologized because I was too strong. I personally love wheatgrass and it's damn good for you.

In addition, I did not call anything to you offensive... if you would read my entire post (as you did not) you can see that I also ate and enjoyed fake meats... eating fake meats is not bad, but basing the diet on them, it is...

Anyway guys... this is totally off topic... As I said, I regonegized previously I was too strong, so this makes no sense. I'm going to request to have this thread closed!!!

At the end... we all are against animal cruelty and most health concerned... it's stupid to fight!!!
#24 Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Some users told me it was not right how I stated the facts... and I did apologize, so do not keep flaming, please!!!

And LionSprit... in the past you said you wanted to avoid coal and petroleum so do not laugh at me!! I just shared regarding health on a vegan lifestyle and them, I apologized because I was too strong. I personally love wheatgrass and it's damn good for you.

In addition, I did not call anything to you offensive... if you would read my entire post (as you did not) you can see that I also ate and enjoyed fake meats... eating fake meats is not bad, but basing the diet on them, it is...

Anyway guys... this is totally off topic... As I said, I regonegized previously I was too strong, so this makes no sense. I'm going to request to have this thread closed!!!

At the end... we all are against animal cruelty and most health concerned... it's stupid to fight!!!

Word!! Peace & Love!!
#25 Old 04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Alice & Friends very much. My absolute favorite thing on the menu is the Lady Fingers appetizer, followed by the steamed dumplings...yummers!

The salads are also very good, and I've also enjoyed a few of the entrees (the names of which escape me at the moment).

The setting is quaint and cozy, and I always feel like I'm having dinner in someone's home. The lighting in the evening is especially wonderful.

Lately, I've had a hankerin' for Alice & Friends...Hummus! where are you?
#26 Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Thread closed at OP's request.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page