Illinois Coming to town May 8-10 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 AM

Hey Chicagoans! IS and I are going to be in town from May 7th or 8th until the 10th. Is there anyone interested in meeting up on Friday or Saturday?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm always down for a meetup!! Saturday's always work better but whatever's clever!! I'm pretty adaptable!!
#3 Old 03-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Baby Love

I'll be at my usual hangout. I wish St. Louis was just a suburb of Chicago so I could enjoy the meetups more frequently. Have fun all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

*jumps up and down* Me! I'm interested!

Jinga, it's not that far.
#5 Old 03-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know that I'd be able to take Friday the 9th off from work (I could meet you in the evening, though), but Saturday the 10th is perfect for me...all day and night. Take me, I'm yours!
#6 Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 AM

Yay! Can we do The Pick Me Up on Saturday for breakfast? (maybe we'll just stay up all night Friday, and end up there )

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 04-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Administrator

I can probably make it up on the 10th. I mentioned it to John and Tricia the other day so hopefully they can make it too.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww, I want to be there, but already have plans for that weekend.
#9 Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 AM

Oh, pooh. But maybe....

<<sends kpickell a secret message

#10 Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Ex-*****

Looking forward to meeting you!

Chicago is one of my favourite US cities!

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#11 Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool I'll be there!!
#12 Old 04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

John said he should be able to make it, haven't heard from Tricia yet.

I think Mandy will be there but we probably won't know for sure until the day before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Woot! Are you folks from down south coming on the train, or driving?

#14 Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I sent John a pm to see what he wants to do but haven't heard back yet. I'm guessing we'll probably be driving.

#15 Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Cool. We won't have to squish everyone in then.

#16 Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Ex-*****

Okay, so just to confirm that we are still coming

We'll be there all day on the 9th and first half of the day on the 10th. Where do you all want to meet up? Pick Me Up has good breakfast food, so that's a good option for Saturday morning. Other options? Any ideas for Friday?

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#17 Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

John said he wanted to go so as far as I know he and I will still be up there on Saturday. I *think* Tricia said she could probably make it too.

#18 Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I can do both days, so I'm still in the planning stage. I take it on the 10th you're leaving around noonish?
#19 Old 04-24-2008, 12:50 AM

We have to be at the airport about 4, so we'll have to leave a bit before then.

#20 Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, someone needs to post an itinerary so I can make plans. I'd really like to stay both days but that probably won't be possible. Dogs are as constricting as kids sometimes. My nephew will also be having his 3rd b-day party sometime that weekend but I'm hoping that's Sunday.
#21 Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll probably be able one day
#22 Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Okay, so just to confirm that we are still coming

We'll be there all day on the 9th and first half of the day on the 10th. Where do you all want to meet up? Pick Me Up has good breakfast food, so that's a good option for Saturday morning. Other options? Any ideas for Friday?

I'm able to hang whenever... I work until 5pm Friday. My work is right at Belmont and Sheffield (just near Pick-Me-Up coincidentally ) and I live at Irving Park and Sheridan, which is two El-stops away!

Friday for dinner, we could always do Chicago Diner- it's walking distance from my work! Or, there are a TON of veg-friendly restaurants in that neighborhood! Ethiopian, Thai... wherever strikes your fancy!!

Saturday Breakfast- Victory's Banner? http://www.victorysbanner.com/

It can get a bit crowded in there and there's sometimes a bit of a wait, but Saturday mornings usually aren't bad. But it's seriously one of my FAVORITE places in Chicago.

Pick-Me-Up works too... I just eat there so much already! But it's really easy for me to get to.

Someone needs to call me like a week in advance, or I'll get confused and forget. :P

Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#23 Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 AM

Wolfie, If you're there on Friday, we'll be there.

Hm...I've been to Victory's Banner, and it was okay, but I don't remember it being very vegan-friendly, lots of eggs and milk in the pancakes, etc. It's been awhile though. The Diner has pretty decent breakfast, so I'd be up for them on Saturday too.

Or..we could go to the new Veggie Bite, and hang out in Wicker Park afterward.

#24 Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Ex-*****

Okay, so these are the people who have expressed interest in meeting up:

Nickle00

Wolfie

carnelian

Michael

Chicagoan

vegbunny83

... and probably John (Hummus!) and Tricia (soup) as well!

I'll be taking attendance.

#25 Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Wolfie, If you're there on Friday, we'll be there.

I'll have to get the address of where ever we might meet so I can mapquest it. Carnelian has spoiled me. For the meetups I come to her place and don't have to worry about finding my way around the city. Driving in Chicago doesn't bother me so much, because I drive like 99% of Chicagoans do anyway. But not knowing where I'm going stresses me a bit. And I don't know the city at all.

I probably will end up coming Friday. It looks like it might work better than Saturday.

This is only a couple weeks away!
#26 Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Edit-Nevermind
#27 Old 04-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I'll be taking attendance.

You should have gotten a non-refundable deposit!

#28 Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I was really wanting to come along on this, but I had forgotten that the weekend of May 10th is a family vacation. My mom has already paid for the lodging and this is the first vacation we've taken together since 2001. I apologize for not being able to come up there, Jen, because I really want to see you and Karl. When do you think you'll be back around again? We all need to go bowling. WOOHOO!!

If anybody feels like coming down to the Grand Bear Lodge in Utica, then that's where i'll be. They have a great water park, or so I hear.
#29 Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Hm...I've been to Victory's Banner, and it was okay, but I don't remember it being very vegan-friendly, lots of eggs and milk in the pancakes, etc. It's been awhile though. The Diner has pretty decent breakfast, so I'd be up for them on Saturday too.

Or..we could go to the new Veggie Bite, and hang out in Wicker Park afterward.

Hmm... I eat vegan when I'm at Victory's Banner and I love their stuff! Most of their breakfast dishes can be veganized- all the scrambles/egg specials/breakfast burrito can have the marinated scrambled tofu substituted instead (which is delish!!) and the eggless wonder can have the goat cheese left off. And the cereals and such can have the milk left out as well. I usually do the build your own scramble or breakfast burrito. I e-mailed them to see if any of their other stuff can be veganized (now I'm curious), so we will see what they say.

Chicago Diner is also good for breakfast, I love their vegan biscuits and gravy!!

And come to think of it, Pick-Me-Up started a new brunch menu not too long ago. Could be good!

Honestly, I'm really not picky, we can go wherever you want!! I adore both Pick-Me-Up and Chciago Diner, and there are so many other places too! So wherever floats your boat. You're the guests!

You guys are coming in that Friday night right? Are we going out then?

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#30 Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

If we could do Chicago Diner Friday night, that would be great. I know a couple of other people (VRF'ers) from Ohio who will be in town for a concert, and they were wanting to go to the Diner for dinner Friday night. I was contemplating cutting myself in half in order to juggle both (as I had made a semi-committment to the others before realizing that it was the same date as this), but if everyone convenes at the Diner, I won't have to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page