Illinois Any Chicagoans Here (favorite restaurants)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Is anybody here from Chicago or the suburbs? If you are, what is your favorite place to eat there?

I personally love going to Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights. It's a Japanese market, but they also have a food court. I just have to be careful because many Japanese foods have fish snuck in (miso soup is a good example).

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I'm about 2 hours south but eat in the city quite a bit.

Favorite: Alice & Friends

Least favorite: Chicago Diner (except for the shakes/location/patio!)

Also like: Cousin's (raw) and Blind Faith

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Oak Park and love Chicago Diner, Ras Dashen, Alice & Friends, Blind Faith Cafe (Evanston), Karyn's Cooked, Veggie Bite (opening a new location soon on the north side...yay!), Dharma Garden, Chowpatti (Arlington Heights). Looking forward to checking out Balanced Kitchen sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Chicago Diner is definitely the best one!!!

It's like a vegan American cuisine.

I go there several times.

I was always able to park... however, I'm lucky as the parking is so tiny.

The parking isn't either for novice drivers.

Michael... why u h8 Chicago Diner?
#5 Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post

Michael... why u h8 Chicago Diner?

I don't think their food is any good. It sounds good, it looks good, I just don't think it tastes good. I sometimes joke that the next time I have to eat there I'll just go next door to the 7-11 and nuke a frozen burrito.

#6 Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I cannot WAIT to go try some of these places!!!
#7 Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Aw, the Diner's not so bad, it's just not as good as the other places.

I'd heartily agree with the recommendations for Blind Faith and Karyn's Cooked. Earwax Cafe in Wicker Park area is pretty yummy and the neighborhood is very cool!

In my old hood (Hyde Park), I frequented the Rajun' Cajun (Indian and Soul Food fusion, I swear). It's not vegetarian, but they have many vegan dishes and the staff is super knowledgeable and friendly. I also liked The Nile, a Lebanese/Palestinian on 55th Street. There's another little veggie place that opened a year or so ago in the old Quiznos spot (I love the irony) at 53rd and Dorchester. We ate there last summer, and my meal was , while the man's was good, but not great.

And...I can't believe no one has mentioned The Pick Me Up Cafe. Seriously, if you've not eaten breakfast here at least once, you've not lived.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 03-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

And...I can't believe no one has mentioned The Pick Me Up Cafe. Seriously, if you've not eaten breakfast here at least once, you've not lived.

Oh, man! How did I forget Pick Me Up? That's what I get for multi-tasking in my head.

I forgot Soul Veg, too.
#9 Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Ack! How could I forget Pick Me Up?!? Good stuff and great service.

I also like that place we went to for falafel. I don't remember the name. I've been meaning to ask you.

#10 Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Pick Me Up Cafe is my favorite.
#11 Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Ack! How could I forget Pick Me Up?!? Good stuff and great service.

I also like that place we went to for falafel. I don't remember the name. I've been meaning to ask you.

Do you mean Sultan's Market?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

If nothing else, you need to go to the Chicago Diner for cheesecake & milkshakes. No one does those better!

Who's been to Karyn's Cooked? The reviews are all over the place & I was thinking about trying it this weekend.
#13 Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

Who's been to Karyn's Cooked? The reviews are all over the place & I was thinking about trying it this weekend.

I love Karyn's Cooked, and I'll be dining there Saturday evening. Bread pudding, here I come!
#14 Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The Diner is great. Michael doesn't know what he's talking about. Alice and Friends is great too, and you haven't had chocolate cake until you have the vegan one at Blind Faith. Just be prepared for a serious spike in blood sugar.
#15 Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Woohoo! Veggie Bites is opening a new location on Milwaukee and Paulina. Walked by yesterday and it looks like it's almost ready to open.
#16 Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

The Diner is great. Michael doesn't know what he's talking about. Alice and Friends is great too, and you haven't had chocolate cake until you have the vegan one at Blind Faith. Just be prepared for a serious spike in blood sugar.

I loved The Diner. I went there for my first time this weekend!! We wanted to go to Alice & Friends for dinner but it was closed so we went to Andies instead and that was really good too!! Peace & Love!!
#17 Old 03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk0 View Post

Woohoo! Veggie Bites is opening a new location on Milwaukee and Paulina. Walked by yesterday and it looks like it's almost ready to open.

I am SO psyched about this!
#18 Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Will it be open by the end of April?

#19 Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Will it be open by the end of April?

Not sure but I am in that area often. I'll keep you guys posted once it's opened.
#20 Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Amitabul is another one to add to the list. I've only eaten there once, but I liked it a lot.
#21 Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I've actually never eaten at a vegetarian restaurant...especially not in Chicago. I'm from Northbrook. I guess I'll have to try some of these out!
#22 Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I had training at the Palmer House downtown earlier this week and had lunch at the Spa Cafe on Monroe. What a fabulous little place for lunch! They have lots of vegetarian and vegan options. Here's the website: http://www.spacafe.com/

The menu on the website is not fully updated. They now offer a bunch of vegan grilled items like seitan burgers and apple/sage sausage.
#23 Old 03-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a place called Sultan's Market in Wicker Park. It is a middle eastern food place and they have the vegan items labeled on the menu. I got the falafel and it was delicious.

veganGO -
forum for vegan activists.
#24 Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

I went to a place called Sultan's Market in Wicker Park. It is a middle eastern food place and they have the vegan items labeled on the menu. I got the falafel and it was delicious.

Sultan's is one of my favorites. Cheap and delicious.
#25 Old 04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Veggie Bites on Milwaukee and Paulina opened today. We stopped by for dinner and the place was packed. They were definitely understaffed and the line was very long. Unfortunately I noticed 2 or 3 people leave because of the wait.

Our food was quite tasty. I ordered the italian beef melt with a side order of chili cheese fries and my gf had the buffalo sandwich on rye.
#26 Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM

It's becoming quite the vegetarian haven there in Wicker Park.

#27 Old 04-04-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm flying in to Chicago for the day on the 9th. I'll be visiting my future new office on N. La Salle (downtown). Any suggestions for lunch would be great. Oh, I vegetarian by the way.
#28 Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

I'm flying in to Chicago for the day on the 9th. I'll be visiting my future new office on N. La Salle (downtown). Any suggestions for lunch would be great. Oh, I vegetarian by the way.

Do you have an exact address of your office so I can better guide you? Downtown is rather large.
#29 Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

Are you going to meet up with us when you move to Chicago?

#30 Old 04-04-2008, 03:16 PM

Oooh...ST if you're at say, less than 1600 N, you can get to Karyn's Cooked in just a few minutes. It's on Wells, just one block west of LaSalle, in the 700s I think.

There's a taco chain at LaSalle and North Ave that's very yummy and veg friendly, called Taco Fresco, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page