Illinois Any Chicagoans Here (favorite restaurants)? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-06-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Are you going to meet up with us when you move to Chicago?

Most certainly. I'm so looking forward to eating with other veg heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk0 View Post

Do you have an exact address of your office so I can better guide you? Downtown is rather large.

10 S. LaSalle Street. My other post says N. LaSalle but that's not right. Don't know what I was thinking there.
#33 Old 04-06-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Oooh...ST if you're at say, less than 1600 N, you can get to Karyn's Cooked in just a few minutes. It's on Wells, just one block west of LaSalle, in the 700s I think.

There's a taco chain at LaSalle and North Ave that's very yummy and veg friendly, called Taco Fresco, too.

*hugs* thanks so much. I'll have my usual snacks with me but something substantial would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Ooh...if you're on S Lasalle, there's this place called Oasis cafe, just a few blocks away that's yummy too. It's in the back of a jewelry store (for real), but they have wicked Middle Eastern food. carnelian turned me on to it. She works not too far from there, and there's another place she really likes too, but I can't remember the name, they have deli sort of food.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#35 Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

10 S. LaSalle Street. My other post says N. LaSalle but that's not right. Don't know what I was thinking there.

Definitely check out the spa cafe on 112 W Monroe. Plenty of vegetarian and vegan options.
#36 Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I'd heartily agree with the recommendations for Blind Faith and Karyn's Cooked. Earwax Cafe in Wicker Park area is pretty yummy and the neighborhood is very cool!

And...I can't believe no one has mentioned The Pick Me Up Cafe. Seriously, if you've not eaten breakfast here at least once, you've not lived.

I Second the vote for The Pick-Me-Up!!! I eat there so much because it's so good! I actually just ate lunch there today- vegan "Humboldt Park" tofu scramble. And I'm not sure when was the last time any of you were there, but they added to their menu. They now have a falafel wrap, buffalo tofu bites, vegan mac and cheese, and a vegan tostadas dinner.

The Chicago Diner is great, you just have to know what's good! I love the shakes/desserts and breakfasts, and the Portobello Chick'n Wrap, Super Gyros, Fajitas, and a few of the seitan sandwiches are really amazing. The Breaded Tofu Cutlets and a few of the other dinners there are good as well.

Other places- Aryah Bhavan (Indian Buffet) Dharma Garden (Thai) Soul Vegetarian East (Soul food) and Victory's Banner are all 100% vegetarian places I love! As Nickles said, Andie's veg food (Middle Eastern) is amazing, and I also love Ras Dashen (Ethiopian). Blind Faith, Karen's Cooked, and Alice and Friends are all pretty good too. I used to go to Earwax when I went to shows at the Double Door, and I liked them.

I've heard how amazing Sultan's market is, but have never been there.... I took Nickles to a place called Sinbad's for falafels, and it was great.

I've heard mixed reviews of the new Veggie Bite but would like to try it!

Ok, I'm gonna stop, I'm making myself hungry again!

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#37 Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Old thread, but I'll be in Chicago around Christmas.

Is there a vegetarian sushi place?
#38 Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I also really liked Blind Faith.
#39 Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Old thread, but I'll be in Chicago around Christmas.

Is there a vegetarian sushi place?

Not that I know of, but you can get vegan sushi in the food court of Macy's on State Street...it is located on the lower level on a corner between the deli and green salad counters. I work a couple of blocks from there and have had it many times.

Here are a few options...you'll have to look at the menus to see what the offerings are. You could also make a special request...the same as you might at any other restaurant. Most places are pretty accommodating.

http://chicago.citysearch.com/yellow...91&flavor_id=2

#40 Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbunny83 View Post

Other places- Aryah Bhavan (Indian Buffet) Dharma Garden (Thai) Soul Vegetarian East (Soul food) and Victory's Banner are all 100% vegetarian places I love!

I'm going to be going to Aryah Bhavan on Saturday to meetup with the Vegan Chicago group. I enjoy Indian cuisine, so it should be fun.

And yes, Soul Vegetarian East is delicious. I enjoy getting their daily special every time I go. SVE has found so many good ways to make old favorites into veggie delights. Their desserts are especially delicious, such as the lemon "cream" pie and sweet potato pie. YUM!

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page