Illinois Illinois Check-In Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Thought we'd use this thread to re-introduce ourselves. If you live in Illinois please post an introduction and a picture if you have one.

I'm Michael. I'm 34, recently married, and live in Bloomington. I've been a vegetarian for 10 1/2 years. A couple of my favorite vegetarian restaurants are the Coffeehouse in Normal (best veggie burger ever!) and Alice & Friends in Chicago. I've met quite a few vegetarians (and fellow VB'ers) through VeggieBoards, the Vegan Chicago Meetup, and the Central Illinois Vegetarian Meetup.
LL

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Hi! I am Amanda and I too live in Bloomington. YEAH! Sry no picture
#3 Old 02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hi Amanda! You might want to check out the Central Illinois Vegetarian Meetup...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CILVegMeetup/

Our next meetup is Tuesday the 19th at Medici in downtown Normal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

My name is Marty. I am 21 and I live in Johnsburg which is a small town about an hour north of Chicago!

www.myspace.com/doktormartini

Nice to meet fellow vegetarians/vegans in my state!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Beginner

I'm Tricia, and I contentedly reside in Normal...the Coffeehouse is also one of my fave restaurants, along with anything Mexican and Flattop Grill. I first found out about VB through my cousin hummus! i've met lots of other great VB peeps, including the "creator", in the process.

LL
#6 Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Hey I'm entro. I live in Chicago in the Pilsen neighborhood and my favorite restaurant is Handlebar on North Ave, no question. I'm doubly diet restricted in terms of vegan and limited sodium for mainly high blood pressure of which I no longer am medicated for or have. I've been veg for like 4 years and vegan for a year and a half. I like to bike ride in excruciating bad weather... actually no i don't but i do anyway.

http://www.myspace.com/entromc

I signed up for the chicago meetup. Hopefully it won't be a frozen wasteland.

Nice to meet you all.
LL
#7 Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Hey! I'm Tracy. I'm 30, live in Plainfield and am an editor. You can see my pic in my profile.
#8 Old 02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm Debra.

I'm about a month shy of turning 49, and I live in Oak Park and work a full-time job in the Loop. In addition, I have a part-time job working at a bead store, where I teach a variety of techniques. I'm also one of the assistant organizers of the Vegan Chicago Meetup Group:

http://vegan.meetup.com/11/

As far as pics go, I'm in a bunch in the Photo Album (mostly in the 'VB Gatherings' section). Here's one of them (I'm in the skirt):

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...p?i=7498&c=511

There's also a pic of me in my profile.

#9 Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not from Illinois but I feel like an honorary member. I live close enough to Chicago that I go to the meetups there regularly. My name is Kelly and I'm 31 from South Bend, Indiana. I'm the guy in the yellow shirt in the picture Debra linked to.
#10 Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

We'll gladly accept you as an honorary member, Kelly!

I live about 2-1/2 hours from Chicago in a town most people probably haven't heard of, and that's me in my avatar.
#11 Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, Becca here

I live in Chicago in Lincoln Square. A fun fact about me is I study hula dancing. I'm from a small town and the city sometimes overwhelms me, so I escape to see family down by Peoria. I sure love the ethnic markets here though.

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/.../missgarbo.jpg
#12 Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Hi, I'm Mandy. I'm married to Michael and therefore also from Bloomington. The Coffeehouse's Frisco Melt and Spicy hummus are the best ever! If you are ever in town, I definitely recommend stopping by.
#13 Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello!!! I'm Marisa and I live in the far south suburbs. I'm also a small animal vet. I usually work too much to get out to the meet ups, but I would love to again when I get the chance. I have pictures of me and most of my critters in my photo album.
#14 Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm Julian! I'm a burnt-out, antisocial guy living in Hyde Park!
#15 Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm Adam and I currently live in DeKalb.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#16 Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Hey I'm Danielle. I'm 28 turning 29 later this month. Just moved to Aurora from NY. Decided to go vegan this past summer and am loving the decision!
#17 Old 03-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

2 new locals, yay! You may want to check out the Vegan Chicago Meetup I have linked in the first post. A bunch of us get together on the first Saturday of each month.

#18 Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I signed up. Looking forward to the next meetup!

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#19 Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

I signed up. Looking forward to the next meetup!

Cool! I saw you on the Meetup site, Adam! Welcome!
#20 Old 03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm Bella (it's not my real name, but that's what most people call me), I'm two months or so shy of 16, and I live in central Illinois in a town most people have probably never heard of. I'm not really from here, I just moved from Kansas City, and before that, I lived in Texas, Maryland, Omaha, Singapore, Indonesia and Canada. I'm actually Canadian and American.
#21 Old 03-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

2 new locals, yay! You may want to check out the Vegan Chicago Meetup I have linked in the first post. A bunch of us get together on the first Saturday of each month.

I did join that meetup group - just haven't introduced myself yet. Won't be at the next meetup though, already had plans for that day
#22 Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
jj1
Beginner

I've been AWOL/MIA for a long time cuz I went back to skool foolltime a year ago at the age of 43. That makes me......44 now.

Hey Michael, I like what you've done to the place
#23 Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 PM

I believe I'll soon be a Chicagoan (is that right?) My office is closing here this year on 11/30 and I've been offered a job in the Chicago office. I'm probably going to take it. I can't imagine finding a job here that would pay the same. They are going to move their office from downtown Chicago to Aurora in 2010. So, I've been looking at the housing market between the two points. I have to sell this house too. What a pain. Anyhow, I'll be in this thread hunting down the veg spots. Oh, and if you can think of any good towns between Chicago and Aurora I'd really love you to PM them to me.
#24 Old 03-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! I might get to meet Ruthie!
#25 Old 04-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh man, I'm such a slacker, I just saw this thread!

I'm Julie! I'm 26 years old, I live in the city of Chicago (Wrigleyville-ish area) and that's me in my avatar. I'm bored at work so I'm just spamming the Illinois forum. I'm a writer/artist/photographer stuck in an office admin's job. I have a cat, a rabbit, a studio apartment, a 1960s bike and a brand-new digital SLR camera. I love Chicago and all its veggie restaurants!

Now I'm just babbling. Hehe.

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#26 Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Hello all. My name's Julie. I live in Bloomington and I also really like The Coffeehouse. I went to Medicci's (sp?) a few weeks ago and liked it too. I've been a vegetarian for 13 years now. My friend, Tom, told me about a facebook site affiliated with the meet-up group and I found you this way. This is my first year in the B-N area and I live here with my partner (husband), Craig, and our 3 cats - Olivia, Pepper, and Miles.

I look forward to chatting with everyone.
LL
#27 Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieann081 View Post

Hello all. My name's Julie. I live in Bloomington and I also really like The Coffeehouse. I went to Medicci's (sp?) a few weeks ago and liked it too. I've been a vegetarian for 13 years now. My friend, Tom, told me about a facebook site affiliated with the meet-up group and I found you this way. This is my first year in the B-N area and I live here with my partner (husband), Craig, and our 3 cats - Olivia, Pepper, and Miles.

Hi Julie!

Welcome to Veggie Boards and to Bloomington! I just posted info about our next meetup on our Facebook page, so we'd love to meet you if you can make it.
#28 Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieann081 View Post

HI! I was going to go to Medici's for prom, but they don't take reservations. We went to Distile instead. I really need to go there though!
#29 Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

I was a little disappointed with Medici's. Maybe my expectations were too high but I didn't think the food was anything special. I like the look of the place, just felt the food failed to live up to it. I do hear their pizzas are really good so I may give it one more try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page