Illinois - Page 56 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1651 Old 10-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone live in central Illinois?

I might be visiting there in a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1652 Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 PM

There are a number of us here from central Illinois including myself, Michael, Hummus!, and TriciaSoup. Is there a particular city/town you will be visiting? We would be happy to recommend some good restaurants if you will be somewhere in the vicinity.
#1653 Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I am going to visit Springfield, Rochester and Taylorville area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1654 Old 10-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Hmm... I'm not too familiar with any of those areas. Sorry.

HappyCow only has one veg-friendly restaurant listed...

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...eld/index.html

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#1655 Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I have family coming into to town next weekend who are omni's. I never ever get into the city and we'll be spending the weekend there. We're staying at a friends condo on North and Milwaukee and I moved here from Florida and I'm still not familiar with Chicago at all and was just wondering if anyone could suggest some good restaraunts/cafes to try while I'm there. Somwhere with a large selection of both veggie and omni options would be ideal othewise an all veggie cafe would work too. I'm sure they would be willing to try it out....maybe!! Lol... Thanks in advance for any ideas. Peace & Love!!
#1656 Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure if there's a Flattop Grill in that area but they have something for everyone.

http://www.flattopgrill.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#1657 Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I'm not sure if there's a Flattop Grill in that area but they have something for everyone.

http://www.flattopgrill.com

Thanks, I'll check to see if we have one in the area.
#1658 Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Sorry I didn't make the December meetup. Thought the freezing rain might be more than I wanted to endure.

Are there pictures anywhere?

#1659 Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are some pics. Not mine, I couldn't go either.

http://vegan.meetup.com/11/photos/
#1660 Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I missed it too.

I'm SO VERY tempted to drive up to Chicago tomorrow (Friday) night for the Mighty Blue Kings Christmas Concert at the House of Blues. /////indecision///indecision...
#1661 Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Iowa City is probably the only city in Iowa where the residents can even spell vegan.

Well, maybe in Des Moines. Maybe.

Fairfield, Iowa? Never been there, but I've heard things.
#1662 Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Can anyone here recommend any good Mexican restaurants in the western Chicago suburbs? West Chicago, Elgin, Fox Valley, Schaumburg etc. Or maybe just advice on how to pick a good one? I feel like I'm surrounded by all these little Mexican places, but my hometown friends aren't adventurous enough to have discovered the cheap but good gems that must be out there! Make that cheap but good and lard-free gems.
#1663 Old 12-21-2007, 03:54 AM

El Faro, on 31st, just east of Pulaski is lard-free, and even has some mock-meat dishes. In most of the places though, it seems that lard isn't used in the beans so often, at least in Pilsen. I asked several places. Now, watching out for meat in the rice is another matter.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#1664 Old 12-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I am in the chicago area too; just a couple miles southwest of the city. I have a sister still living in chicago.
#1665 Old 12-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I am in the chicago area too; just a couple miles southwest of the city. I have a sister still living in chicago.
#1666 Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Beginner

In Bloomington/Normal we have the best vegetarian/vegan restaurant ever. The Coffee House! WOOT There are about 20 vegan meals and the rest are vegetarian. It's really cheap too... about $5 a meal. I am hungry just thinking about it. Soooo Good!
#1667 Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Beginner

In Bloomington/Normal we have the best vegetarian/vegan restaurant ever. The Coffee House! WOOT There are about 20 vegan meals and the rest are vegetarian. It's really cheap too... about $5 a meal. I am hungry just thinking about it. Soooo Good!
#1668 Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

I love the Coffeehouse. Best veggie burgers anywhere.

#1669 Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

#1670 Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

El Faro, on 31st, just east of Pulaski is lard-free, and even has some mock-meat dishes. In most of the places though, it seems that lard isn't used in the beans so often, at least in Pilsen. I asked several places. Now, watching out for meat in the rice is another matter.

This sounds really good. I'll try it if I ever have the chance, but I can't really get my friends to take the train into the city for a day, let alone just to eat out. Maybe I should have specified, when I said "West Chicago" I meant the city of West Chicago which is actually about 30 miles west of the actual Chicago.
#1671 Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

This sounds really good. I'll try it if I ever have the chance, but I can't really get my friends to take the train into the city for a day, let alone just to eat out. Maybe I should have specified, when I said "West Chicago" I meant the city of West Chicago which is actually about 30 miles west of the actual Chicago.
#1672 Old 12-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Agreed!
#1673 Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleXeiba View Post

Agreed!

They used to have an Indian plate a few years back that was my favorite, but it must not have been too popular because I don't see it anymore.

Yeehaw! Burger = BEST SANDWICH EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd kill for their Ranch dressing recipe.
#1674 Old 12-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleXeiba View Post

Where is this place? I live in Plainfield but get to the city on occasion, is this somewhere in the city?
#1675 Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Where is this place? I live in Plainfield but get to the city on occasion, is this somewhere in the city?

It is in downtown Normal. It's down the steet from the ISU campas, where all of those little shops and restaurants are... and the Normal theater. If you know where any of that is?!
#1676 Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Beginner

Hi! I thought Chicago-area singles may be interested in this:

Young at Heart Pet Rescue (I adopted my dog from them ... they specialize in older dogs) is having a "Must Love Dogs" singles event. They'll have adoptable dogs there to help people break the ice.

It's not a veg event, but I'd imagine they'd be accommodating. (I'm editing this to add that I e-mailed Young at Heart about vegan accommodations almost a week ago, but I haven't heard back, so attend at your own risk. )

Here are the details:

7-10 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9, 2008

Chasin' Our Tails, 766 Industrial Drive, Cary IL

$30 per person, with all money going to Young at Heart

You have to be at least 21 years old.

For more info and to register: www.yahpetrescue.com/events

The only way I'm affiliated with Young at Heart is simply because I adopted my dog from them, but I do try to support them when I can. Please feel free to post this on any other sites and forward to your friends. After all, if I go, I want some hot guys to be there, too.

Tracy
#1677 Old 01-06-2008, 09:36 AM

Hi! I'm Carrie Jo and I'm so glad to find this board!

I live in Springfield IL- Any one else from here?

We don't have incredible selection when it comes to restaraunts, but thank God for Thai and Indian! And we have one Holy Land diner that makes incredible homemade hummus!

Anyways, hi everyone!
#1678 Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Beginner

Hi, Carranda!

I moved to Springfield after graduating from college in 1999. Stayed two years. I loved the town itself -- particularly Washington Park and the homes around it.

(I wasn't veg then.)
#1679 Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Hi! I'm from Bloomington. I'm not sure of anyone from Springfield but as you can see there are quite a few VB members from Illinois.

#1680 Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

I'm wondering if we should plan a central Illinois meetup. Maybe when it gets a little warmer?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page