Illinois - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 PM

Hello, I am going to Chicago next month and want to know what the best vegetarian/vegan places are in the vicinity of downtown. I will be doing a lot of walking, so I want to eat at about 3-4 different places in the area of the Magnificent Mile, and around the Water Tower, Aon Center, Sears Tower, etc. Basically, my trip is to explore the city and my goal is to visit all of the big skyscrapers. So, any eatery near a big building is something I will probably do. Please help me so I don't have to eat Sbarro's every meal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really know of any veggie places in the area you want them, but if you are willing to go a bit outside downtown there are a bunch of places. One place I know off the top of my head is in wrigleyville, oooonnn Southport? I think it's on southport, it's about a half mile from the stadium. Anyways, it a place called Jim's Grill and it's completely vegetarian. There's always the Chicago Diner, but that's on Halsted and in Boystown, kind of far from where you'll be. There is also Karyn's Fresh Corner, a raw foods place, but that is on Lincoln, not in downtown.
#63 Old 07-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool, +1 Evanstonians here. And yes, I've been to Blind Faith. The only thing that disappointed me about it was that a lot of the different food items had eggs or dairy in them, and since I was freshly vegan at the time (and not willing to experiment with different foods yet), I had a lot of trouble choosing.

Of course, now that I'm willing to eat tomatos, I bet there have a bit more selection for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 07-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Beginner

Im reall late on this form but im from wilmette
#65 Old 07-12-2004, 10:05 AM

Clarendon Hills, IL here (next to Hinsdale, Oak Brook, and Westmont). I'm about 20 miles due west of downtown Chicago. Love the city. Shop at whole foods and trader joe's all the time. I go to school at U of Illinois down in Champaign. I only know of one store there that sells lots of vegan/vegetarian stuff (Strawberry Fields). Anyone know of any others? I'd rather not hike to Meijer, I don't like it anyway.
#66 Old 07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Administrator

jaundicedferret is from Champaign so he's probably familiar with the area. I know they had some relatively active veg/AR groups down there but that was a few years ago, not sure if they're still going.

Here are links to their websites...

http://www2.uiuc.edu/ro/cvs/

http://www2.uiuc.edu/ro/sila/

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#67 Old 07-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSpinach View Post

Clarendon Hills, IL here (next to Hinsdale, Oak Brook, and Westmont). I'm about 20 miles due west of downtown Chicago. Love the city. Shop at whole foods and trader joe's all the time. I go to school at U of Illinois down in Champaign. I only know of one store there that sells lots of vegan/vegetarian stuff (Strawberry Fields). Anyone know of any others? I'd rather not hike to Meijer, I don't like it anyway.

Hmm, Strawberry Fields is the only store i know of down there that is pretty much vegan/vegetarian, but, as much as I don't like shopping at Meijer, they do have lots of vegetables, garden burger, boca and Amy's stuff there. If you don't want to hike you should call me up- I'll have a car next year (thanks to my sis )

For fast food there's always Qdobas, Legends, Papa Johns and Za's. Papa Johns you've got to ask for no cheese on the pizza but the crust and sauce are vegan. Za's will usually sub thier sauces for a vegan marinara if you ask. Qdoba you get to pick what you want, anad Legends has an awesome veggie wrap. There's also the Veggie Delite at Subway and the Evo cafe (yay for Bubble tea!)
#68 Old 07-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Beginner

peoples martket theres one in evenston, its not vegetarian but it has lots of stuff.
#69 Old 07-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Where are some good vegetarian places to eat in Chicago? Even just a sandwich joint with fake meats or something. Any suggestions? Will be out there for the first week of august 04.
#70 Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I've never been there but Chicago Diner seems to be a popular choice...

http://www.veggiediner.com/

I've been to Soul Vegetarian and really enjoyed it. All vegan but you have to look out for honey.

There was an Ethiopian restaurant, I believe it was called Ethiopian Diamond, that I went to a few years ago, that was really good. It wasn't all vegetarian but they did have several veg*n choices.

#71 Old 07-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Alice and Friends is good, too. It's at 5812 N. Broadway in Chicago.
#72 Old 08-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, its been a couple weeks since ive been back, but i have to say there are more veg places to eat in chicago than all of NJ/PA put together lol. I must have went to 4 different ones. The Chicago Diner is awesome!! The waitress there was a "hottie" for any single guys, shes spunky, really into the food, what they make, how its made and just really lively. She was only there the first day of the 3 times we went. My g/f kept getting the $5 ice cream tofu shake/smothies, I had the sloppy joes and the weinerville hot dog which was ok but the other stuff was great. Veg everything. I also had a tofurkey like hoagie that was awesome. We went to this fast food place that had seitan tacos, was awesome but in a bad area of south chicago. I forget the rest but itll come back to me when i look at my papers and pics of where i went, ill post pictures later on of the places. Nice area out there.
#73 Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my god, I don't know if anyone even reads this board anymore, and I don't know if these place means anything to you guys, but I heard from some people that the fireside bowl was being shut down! Please tell me it isn't true!
#74 Old 08-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

Oh my god, I don't know if anyone even reads this board anymore, and I don't know if these place means anything to you guys, but I heard from some people that the fireside bowl was being shut down! Please tell me it isn't true!

oh good golly miss molly!!!!IDK!!! but... if people close to bolingbrook wanna get together at my house--i have a great deck and a great hot tub--for veggie people!!! next veg gathering is HERE!!!
#75 Old 08-30-2004, 08:36 PM

Yumm...I just got back from a trip to Chi-town last week, and am headed back tomorrow. So much yummy vegan food, so little time.

A big thumbs up again to Hashalom, on Devon. I had some falafel and this spicy Moroccan eggplant dish.

Hopefully this trip will afford me some time to visit the place that sells the infamous Double Rainbow soy ice cream!

Lots of extra time on the treadmill in my future.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#76 Old 08-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Coolness. I want to go to Chicago. Maybe I'll skip out on dog adoption and go Saturday.

Did you get that job?
#77 Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to go to Chicago. I miss my Whole Foods. And my kitchen

Although I do believe I am nearer to more people now. I'm by Savoy (that's what weatherbug says ) if anyone knows where that is
#78 Old 08-31-2004, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Did you get that job?

Still interviewing. After a long dry spell (since like May), the opportunities are suddenly coming fast/furious.

<<<turns on "Sweet Home Chicago" on the CD player.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#79 Old 08-31-2004, 10:59 PM

Are there any Illini who'd like to join us in Grand Rapids in a couple of weeks?

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postcount=222

#80 Old 09-08-2004, 02:31 PM

i'm originally from the south suburbs then moved to chicago for a few years and now just recently moved to addison....

Anyway... i just wanted to say that the chicago diner is the best. please, anyone who goes there - don't forget to get a big piece of the best vegan german chocolate cake in whole world. the best.

ALSO - it seems like people are forgetting to mention the vegetarian restaurant "chowpatty" in arlington heights... holy cow - the food is amazing. so fresh. and their menu is 26 pages long.
#81 Old 09-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Illinois-ers (?)! My boss is springing for a trip to Chicago for my husband and me for our anniversary in a few weeks. I've never been to Chicago and am wondering if anyone can provide tips on where we should stay (I think we have about $400-500 available for two nights' hotel + maybe a nice dinner out) and good places to eat (the Chicago Diner is already at the top of my list, of course) and fun things to do. Any thoughts are much appreciated!
#82 Old 09-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm, you've actually got a lot fo options with that much available. There is a really nice hotel called the Wyndsor or Windsor, idk how it is spelled. It's about 150 a night. The rooms are huge, it's a nice place, and right by the Mag Mile. Umm, a nice place to eat- definately the Chicago Diner. Good food, good atmosphere, kinda far away though. There is a good place, it's asian food, great atmosphere. I think it was Ben Pao or soemthing along those lines. $15/a person, but you get a buttload of food . They are great about substitutions, mark everything that is vegetarian and the servers are so knowledgable, great place. If i cant hink of anyhting else I'll post or Iim you! I hope you have a good trip!!
#83 Old 09-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info brownie! I'm really looking forward to our trip.
#84 Old 09-19-2004, 09:00 PM

Oooh a trip to Chicago..how fun!

My favorite hotel is the Fairmont...very beautiful, very romantic, with fantastic staff. It's around $200/night, but they always have specials http://www.fairmont.com It's right near Millennium Park and walking distance to all the Loop attractions.

Other faves:

Congress Hotel..a Chicago classic, but smaller and not as ornate..maybe $100/night.

Four Seasons..good if you are a shopper, right near Water Tower Place. The swankiest of the swanky.

Palmer House Hilton..my #2 pick..very beautiful..have stayed here and at the "other" Hilton for some conferences.

Eats:

My favorite place in the area is Blind Faith, but it's up in Evanston, which is quite a haul if you're staying downtown.

There's a place called Opera, which I haven't been to, but that is rumoured to be excellent, that has a vegan menu and is pretty fancy schmancy. Their address is: 1301 s wabash ave. Phone: 312.461.0161

Some fun things to do:

*walk along the water/people watch at Oak Street Beach

*visit the Art Institute

*see a play...there are many to choose from

*catch some live music at one of the many places on North Clark St.

*walk around Millennium Park

*visit the sculpture gardens at Garfield Park Conservatory

*talk a walking history tour in Chicago or nearby Oak Park

My list is longer, but I'll quit before I bore you to tears.

#85 Old 09-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

My list is longer, but I'll quit before I bore you to tears.

No way - I'm lovin' all the info. Thanks!!
#86 Old 09-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

The Chicago Diner is fun if you want some wacky veg meat subs, but its not anywhere near fine dining. Carmines on Rush is a really good authentic italian resturant with pianists/live singer on weekends, really nice atmosphere, about $20 per person...not bad considering the quality and portion sizes. If youre vegetarian, you'll have lots of choices, vegan...still do-able but less options.

JoyYee's Noodle bar in Chinatown is excellent for casual dining..lots of tofu and veggie dishes, and the most awesome bubble drinks!

Oh, and if youre here on a tuesday, admission at the art museum is free
#87 Old 09-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

*bump*

This Sunday at EarthSave Chicago, Erik Marcus will be speaking!

Quote:
Potluck Plus with Erik Marcus!

Please join us at the next EarthSave Chicago potluck dinner: Sunday,

Sept. 26, at 6:30 pm at Healing Earth Resources, 3111 North Ashland,

Chicago. In addition to our speaker and vegan potluck, this is a

Potluck Plus event that will feature a free sampling of food food

from Cousin's Fine Turkish Dining.

We're pleased to announce our speaker for September, the author Erik

Marcus. Many in the animal advocacy community are familiar with

Erik's work, primarily his first book, Vegan: The New Ethics of

Eating, which has recently come out in a new edition. In addition to

his book, Erik has maintained the popular websites Vegan.com and

VeganRD.com among others. He is now touring in support of his brand

new book, Meat Market. Erik considers it his lifetime goal to do what

he can to prevent animal confinement and slaughter. We are thrilled

that this persuasive, compassionate person is able to share his

compelling message with EarthSave Chicago and help all of us convey

that message to the public.

For the potluck dinner, we ask that you please bring a vegan dish

that includes at least six servings, along with a recipe or

ingredient list and a serving utensil, as well as your own table

setting (plate, knife, fork, cup, etc.) to cut down on waste (we are

an environmental group, after all!)

Vegan food contains no meat, milk, butter, eggs, cheese, honey or

derivatives of these products. We also request a donation to help

EarthSave cover current expenses and future programming costs.

#88 Old 10-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

You have to have to have to eat at the Blind Faith Cafe!!! It is in Evanston (the first town North of Chicago, the el will take you right to about 20 feet from it)

Consistently reviewed as the best vegetarian resturaunt in the US. Everything is veg, lots vegan, vegan bakery attached, wine. Kinda pricey, but awesome for a nice celebratory meal!

Very easy to get to - and just wonderful.

http://www.blindfaithcafe.com/
#89 Old 10-29-2004, 08:07 PM

Okay, Illini..it's time for a meetup. Yay! Preliminary plans are underway for a meeting in Chicagoland on either Thursday, Nov 18th or Friday, Nov 19th (in the evening). Come have some yummy veg dinner (location to be determined) and meet some cool VBers. You can even bend the ear of VB's illustrious founder, Michael.

If you're interested, please post re: which day you prefer, and suggestion of restaurants

Did I mention...Yay!

#90 Old 10-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Administrator

I can do Thursday or Friday. Would love to go to Chicago Diner, haven't been there yet.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page