Illinois - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 08-31-2003, 12:27 PM

Hi All,

I wanted to let everyone know about a new animal advocacy group (modeled after Compassion Over Killing in DC) that is in Chicago.

www.ProtectingAnimals.org

is our website and we are focusing on spreading vegetarianism in as many positive ways as possible!

We are always looking for volunteers for our tabling events and are hoping this will be a great way to get veggies to meet other veggies in Chicago as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Any people from Elmhurst around here? Besides me, of course
#33 Old 09-03-2003, 01:04 PM

I didn't even know this Illinois page was here! Hello! I live in Hoffman Estates (west burbs) but I just moved from Forest Park. Carnelian - you by any chance work at Whole Foods? I talked to someone there many months ago who noticed I bought all vegan food and told me that she was going to the Vegan Meetup. I never made it, mostly because I have been busy, though I was planning on going this Saturday in the the NW burbs.

I have been to Chicago Diner and the Evanston restaurant (forgot the name) Loved them both. There is also a veg restaurant in Arlington Heights called Amitubal or something similar and I heard good things even from omnis about that place. It is vegan friendly. My hubby is going to take me there for my birthday a few months down the road!

It's cool to know that many of us really aren't far at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Beginner

Hi!

We're visiting my husband's family in Illinois in a few weeks...they live in Oreana, but we have family in Decatur and Bloomington as well...

anyone know of any vegan friendly places in those areas? even just a health food store? my mom in law loves to cook for us, and there are a few things she's going to need...and I'd rather not have to schlep stuff on the plane!

thanks all!
#35 Old 09-15-2003, 09:31 PM

CHICAGO MTV, BET, and COMEDY CENTRAL TO AIR ANIMAL RIGHTS COMMERCIAL!!!!

Following in the footsteps of Ohio group, Mercy for Animals (MFA), local animal protection group, Protecting Animals, USA is launching their funding drive to raise the $1000 necessary to get MFA's commercial promoting vegetarianism on Chicago airwaves!

This commercial has been viewed by thousands in Ohio and has resulted in **hundreds** of requests for VegStarterKits! And dozens of letters of people who HAVE GONE VEGETARIAN and saved animals!

To view the commercial click: http://www.ProtectingAnimals.org

We have a donor willing to match every $1 we fundraise within the *next two weeks*! So we need to raise the money by *September 28th* and are looking for help from every vegetarian/vegan we know!

Every dollar donated online between now and December will go directly to getting this commercial on air- so donate now at the website above!

Cost of dinner and a movie: $17

Cost of two new t-shirts: $35

Cost of Tofutti Cuties: $3

Donate all you can online and MAKE MORE CHICAGOANS VEGETARIAN!

thanks,

Danielle Marino

p.s. For $100 local organizations can sponsor the commercial and be acknowledged on our website with a link and logo to direct traffic to your site.

Protecting Animals, USA

2419 W Sunnyside, Suite 2

Chicago, IL 60625

773-463-2317

The average American eats 83 animals a year

The average American has no idea what a factory farm is

BUT

The average American who views factory farming conditions *wants* information about how to help farm animals
#36 Old 10-10-2003, 01:58 PM

Hi everyone!

EarthSave Chicago, a local environmental group, is looking for someone who lives facing the Chicago elevated train who would be interest in helping promot a plant-based, sustainable diet by hanging a banner advertising our new, free web resource:

VegChicago.com

If you live facing the L line, contact me!

[email protected]
#37 Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of EarthSave, they are having a Conscious Living gathering tomorrow at Northwestern University in Evanston! I'll be there!
#38 Old 10-14-2003, 01:21 PM

I live in Beardstown, IL. Which is no where near Chicago. It's in the west central portion of the state where the Sangamon and Illinois rivers meet.
#39 Old 11-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby View Post

I used to live in Lake Forest in what seems like a thousand years ago. I never really missed it.

I went to college in Lake Forest at Barat. Did you go to school there also?
#40 Old 11-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post

I have been to Chicago Diner and the Evanston restaurant (forgot the name) Loved them both.

The place in Evanston is the Blind Faith Cafe! Their food is awesome - but a little expensive. Vegetarian Times listed them as Best Veg Resturaunt in the Country.

www.blindfaithcafe.com
#41 Old 11-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post

I didn't even know this Illinois page was here! Hello! I live in Hoffman Estates (west burbs) but I just moved from Forest Park. Carnelian - you by any chance work at Whole Foods? I talked to someone there many months ago who noticed I bought all vegan food and told me that she was going to the Vegan Meetup. I never made it, mostly because I have been busy, though I was planning on going this Saturday in the the NW burbs.

I have been to Chicago Diner and the Evanston restaurant (forgot the name) Loved them both. There is also a veg restaurant in Arlington Heights called Amitubal or something similar and I heard good things even from omnis about that place. It is vegan friendly. My hubby is going to take me there for my birthday a few months down the road!

It's cool to know that many of us really aren't far at all!

Sorry that I didn't notice this until now, dragonfly! No, that wasn't me working at Whole Foods. I shop there a lot, but I don't work there - don't know what I'd do without that place!
#42 Old 12-06-2003, 02:43 PM

It's amazing what an impact a commercial can

have on your life. It has made me really open

my eyes to what goes on with these animals.

Ever since I saw the commercial I have not had

any meat and I'm now trying to get my parents and

friends to do the same. --Kara

VEGETARIAN COMMERCIAL A SUCCESS!

Lets Keep It on the Air!

In the past month, Protecting Animals, USAs Vegetarian Commercial has run 88 times on MTV, VH1, and Animal Planet, generating 175 requests for Veg Starter Kits and *thousands* of visitors to our web sites! Thanks to your support, footage from factory farms is on television, and people are going vegetarian!

LETS NOT LOSE THIS MOMENTUM!

Between now and December 18, Protecting Animals, USA is holding a holiday fundraising drive to keep this commercial running 60 TIMES PER MONTH FROM JANUARY UNTIL MAY!

A generous donor has pledged to match every dollar we raise up to $2500 through December 18 and this is the last time he will do this for at least another year! So this is our chance to double the power of every individuals efforts.

Every dollar donated online between now and December 18 will go directly to keeping the commercial on the airwaves. No donation is too smalljust $18 will buy a one-minute slot where you can change someones life and help save the life of many animals.

Donate more than $100 and receive a free copy of award winning documentary The Witness!

Please donate all you can: http://ProtectingAnimals.org/commercial2.html

Send checks to:

Protecting Animals, USA

P.O. Box 25097

Chicago, IL 60625

For the animals,

Danielle Marino

To view the commercial, click: http://ProtectingAnimals.org/commercial2.html

P.S. For less than the cost of a tank of gasjust $18you can put a full minute of factory-farm footage on prime-time MTV. With our matching donor, that makes two minutes for your $18. Please donate online at http://ProtectingAnimals.org/commercial2.html
#43 Old 12-09-2003, 11:09 PM

i live in chicago.

ukranian village, represent!

and i've been to all the restraunts mentioned so far in this thread.....

i also frequent hot dougs on roscoe on the weekends....doug makes one good char-grilled veggie dog.
#44 Old 12-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Beginner

I've just noticed this now. I live in the Chicago area as well. I grew up near Midway and now I reside in Alsip. I don't really go out to eat much but I have a Trader Joes up in Orland Park that I love. Plus the Dominicks has a lot of veggie and organic stuff.
#45 Old 12-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Geez, I always thought your name was VegHeadPAMama and the PA was for Pennsylvania.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#46 Old 12-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Beginner

Nope, the AP stands for the type of parenting I practice, Attachment Parenting. Cloth diapering, extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, responding to my childrens quos.
#47 Old 12-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Michael and Neon are both pretty close to me! East Moline (Quad Cities) Illinois. Hi, neighbors!
#48 Old 01-21-2004, 10:25 PM

Come one, come all to Protecting Animals, USA's monthly Dine-Out at Dharma Garden! From 6-10PM on the first Thursday of every month, Dharma Garden will donate 10% of your bill to support the work of PAUSA.

Our first Dine-Out:

Thursday, February 5th

6-10PM

Dharma Garden

3109 W. Irving Park

773-588-9140

#49 Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone going to the Farm Sanctuary Farm Animal Forum? Animal rights conference in Chicago on Saturday April 3rd.

More info at http://www.farmsanctuary.org/farmanimalforum/

I'm still thinking about it but I'd like to go, though it is $60 which is kinda high, and also perhaps attend the screening of Peaceable Kingdom on Sunday (which is free).
#50 Old 02-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I live about an hour west-ish of Chicago. I don't really leave the house much though, but I'm thinking about going to the Peaceable Kingdom screening (although I already ordered the DVD).

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#51 Old 02-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Barat to be shut down over money

- Chicago Tribune

DePaul University will close Barat College next year, shutting down a 100-year-old campus on the North Shore that occupies more than 20 prime acres in Lake Forest.

The university's Board of Trustees took action Wednesday in a nearly unanimous vote that came less than a month after trustees were presented with a bleak assessment of the Roman Catholic school's future, bringing to a swift end a school known for its distinctive redbrick Old Main building and highly personal approach to education.

When trustees emerged from their closed meeting and announced the results of the vote, a conference room filled with Barat students and supporters broke into sobs.

John Staley, chairman of DePaul's board, said the decision "came down to one issue," money.

"The facts are that during the period of time since the alliance of DePaul and Barat, we've lost money and we've put in about $18 million in investment in that campus," Staley said.

Officials said it would require as much as $39 million to renovate, repair and maintain the campus over the next five years.

DePaul President Rev. John Minogue said DePaul had misjudged the costs of modernizing the campus and student enrollment trends when it entered the alliance.

"The assumptions we used three years ago aren't valid today," he said.

But those admissions did little to ease the anger of Barat students and supporters.

"It's unfair to the last detail," said Grace Wire, a Barat sophomore from Western Springs. "I do not understand why they made this decision. They need to make us understand what their financial situation is."

Barat Dean Katherine Delaney called the decision a tragedy.

"I thought DePaul valued the small-college experience," she said.

Minogue and Staley stressed that DePaul would keep Barat open until June 2005, allowing students who enrolled there before the alliance to complete their degrees at the Lake Forest campus. DePaul will also open a "transition resource center" to help other Barat students explore academic options. Those students will be able to complete their degrees without penalty to scholarships, financial aid or academic progress, DePaul officials said.

Beyond June 2005, the future of the campus on the east side of Lake Forest is unclear.

Barat operates under a special permit on land zoned for 1.5-acre residential lots, city officials said. The Old Main building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and any changes to the property would have to be approved by the city or its Historic Preservation Commission.

"We're going to work with the City of Lake Forest," Staley said. "We've had conversations with them, and we're partners to do something with Lake Forest that really works."

Staley said that although DePaul owns the Barat property, the Barat Education Foundation, a non-profit organization that controls the small endowment, has the right to match any offer DePaul might receive for the property if it decides to sell.

Trustee Sheila Smith, Barat Education Foundation chairman and DePaul trustee, said the foundation is attempting to find a partner to keep Barat operating as a school.

"We have every intention of pursuing interested parties," said Smith, who said the foundation has assets of about $4 million. "We've already started discussions with other not-for-profits and for-profits that want to be in Lake County."

When DePaul and Barat merged in 2001, it was a meeting of two Catholic schools on different trajectories.

DePaul had experienced nearly two decades of rapid growth that had transformed the school based in Lincoln Park into the largest Catholic university in the country. The university has amassed an endowment nearing $160 million.

In contrast, Barat enrolled just 900 students and had a $2 million endowment.

According to records, Barat approached DePaul in 2000 "with a proposal to create an alliance."

Barat, which faced imminent closing, hoped the merger would infuse new life and resources into the campus. DePaul hoped to gain a stronger presence in the north suburbs.

DePaul told state officials that it would invest $5 million in improvements and technology infrastructure over five years after the purchase.

"Our expectation is that within five years the Barat campus will serve approximately 1,000 full-time undergraduate students and approximately 1,500 part-time undergraduate and graduate students," DePaul officials wrote to the Illinois Board of Higher Education in 2001.

DePaul agreed to pay $3.6 million to the Barat Educational Foundation and $2.5 million to the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, the religious order that founded the college.

But Barat failed to meet DePaul's expectations, prompting trustees this year to reevaluate the campus's future.

On Jan. 17 the DePaul board considered a report by a seven-member task force that concluded it would cause a financial strain to keep Barat open.

"Further investments in the Barat campus are judged to have a very high risk level," the report stated.

But critics of the trustees' decision Wednesday argued that DePaul never gave Barat a proper chance to demonstrate its viability.

Smith, a trustee and Barat's former acting chief executive officer and president, said that by the time there was serious discussion of Barat's financial performance "the train was already out of the station."

DePaul officials counter that the inequity of student facilities--spartan Lake Forest versus well-appointed Lincoln Park--underlies the decision to drop Barat.

"You can't have a facility that's perceived as being a second-class facility," Staley said.

Barat was founded in 1858 as an academy for young women in Chicago, then moved to Lake Forest with 22 students in 1904.

According to a history prepared for Barat's 100th anniversary in Lake Forest, students in the early years led a simple existence. The Old Main building was built without a provision for hot water, except for a small bath area. Early graduates wore corsages of sweet peas, and one graduate remembers the Sacred Heart nuns waking students each morning with a sprinkling of holy water.

During the 1950s and '60s, Barat experienced a modest building boom, with construction of the Hilton Center, a dining hall and conference center, science building and several dormitories.

But the school operated on a modest budget, sometimes ending the year in the black by only a few hundred dollars. Barat went coed in 1982.

As students on Wednesday faced the reality that their alma mater will close, some took solace in the campaign they had waged to keep it open.

"We went with grace," said a tearful Ludwig Duran, a theater major who had helped organize a "Keep Barat" campaign. "We did this nobly and nonviolently and followed the mission of DePaul."

Copyright 2004 Chicago Tribune
#52 Old 03-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

So...

I'm going to be in Chicago for a few days next month. Anything I absolutely must see/eat/do while I'm there?

Thanks!
#53 Old 04-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

you MUST eat at the Chicago Diner! hehe, I highly recommend the T.L.T and the milkshakes

also check out Michigan avenue (as if I had to tell you), LSD, and the watertower.
#54 Old 04-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Umm.. yeah, you had to tell me. I know nothing about Chicago except for the dance companies they have there (which I won't get a chance to visit this trip, unfortunately).

Thanks.
#55 Old 06-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone wanna have a meetup at the Chicago Diner this summer? Maybe mid-July?
#56 Old 06-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Maybe you should just go to Cedar Point in August.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#57 Old 06-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Meet-up last weekend in June... at Earthsave Chicago. 6:00 PM. Hear Matt Ball speak. Vegan potluck. Come on, come on, hurry up
#58 Old 06-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

June 27th? That could fly. I think we need to get everyone's attention by then though. What part of Chicago is it goign to be in?
#59 Old 06-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

3111 North Ashland. 6:30 PM, Sunday June 27th....

See: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...d.php?p=474432
#60 Old 06-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

June 27th? That could fly. I think we need to get everyone's attention by then though. What part of Chicago is it goign to be in?

That would be really cool, but I won't be able to make a trip to Chicago this weekend (from Minneapolis). I don't know about SallyK, but I need more time to plan than that. If there are plans for another meet-up later in the summer, though, please let me know.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page