Dominick's Finer Foods, Inc. to shutter 72 Chicagoland stores - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rinchen
  • 1 Post By peacefulveglady
  • 1 Post By annabellevegan239

#1 Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Dominick's Finer Foods, Inc. has announced that it will close all of its 72 Chicago-area supermarkets. Dominick's has had a long history with the Chicago area and was a profitable business in the days before its sale to Safeway, Inc., which is the 2nd largest grocer chain in the United States. Various reasons have been given for the failure of Dominick's in recent years, but no doubt this will have an impact on the lives of employees and customers. Additionally, the exit of Safeway, Inc. from the Chicagoland market creates the potential for dozens of neighborhoods to become virtual food deserts. Here are a few article and excerpts I read regarding this news. 

Quote:

So when I heard the news, that's what I thought about: all those families.

The families of the thousands of workers who have just heard their jobs are in jeopardy. There's the cold-sweat worry at their homes at night, the dread at breakfast in the morning, those moms and dads going to work, wondering how long they'll be paid.

And also the families of the customers who come to shop. Whether they frequent a chain or an independent store, some connect with the place. It's like a contract.

They wait for the cashier they like, the one who asks them about their daughter at college, and even though other lines have fewer customers, they'll stand in that one line, waiting and waiting, though another would be quicker. The cashier knows about this contract. And so does the customer.

This doesn't apply to all cashiers, or all customers. Some shoppers just cruise stores for sales. Some cashiers are indifferent. But regulars are regulars for a reason. Customers and workers don't have to discuss this contract or write it down. They just know.

Dominick's Closings Will Mean More Than Empty Storefronts

Quote:

...the consumer price index and producer price index tracked about the same. But by the '90s, they diverged, with consumer prices rising faster. Nonfood retailers — gas stations, dollar stores, pharmacies and big box giants like Wal-Mart and Target — realized that, despite tight margins, they could make money selling food, if not directly, then as a lure enticing customers to buy other things. Mergers and acquisitions meant consolidated banners under one often-distant parent company, such as California-based Safeway, which bought Dominick's in 1998. The recession in the early 2000s accelerated the split between high-end and low-end food stores, which is where industry growth and focus continue today. The traditional grocer of yore must find ways to adapt or perish.

Why Dominick's Sputtered Out

Quote:

"For a long time, growing up, it was all Dominick's and Jewel Osco," Chris Borwankar of Glen Ellyn said as she loaded groceries into her car. "It's in my comfort zone. I could shop here in my sleep."...

Bruce Evensen, a DePaul University journalism professor, compared the news with the closing of Marshall Field's in 2006. He said he has been a longtime Dominick's shopper after living in the Arlington Heights and Mount Prospect area for the past 20 years.

"It's a sad day," said Evensen, 62. "To see it close is not just the closing of a store but the closing of an experience. After years of checking out, you get to know the staff, their families and their dreams. It's the ending of that part of their lives."...

"...People are angry, frustrated, sad, a mixture of all three," Thompson said of the employees. "We have a lot of customers who are angry because this is their store, and it's being taken away from them."

End of Dominick's Rattles Suburbs

Does this affect any Chicago area VBers or do you know of anyone affected? My family and I have been shopping at Dominick's all my life, and I remember it before the Safeway buyout. With such steep competition from long-time rival Jewel and others such as Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Mariano's, I suppose it was inevitable.

Aristede:-/ 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Obviously I'm not in the Chicago area Aristede but it's strange how stores that have been connected to our lives for such a long time, can suddenly disappear. For the UK I'm particularly thinking of Woolworths and Safeways. 

Lv

#3 Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I understand your sentiments exactly! Years ago, Woolworth stores were all across the United States and when they left, an iconic brand was gone forever and Wal-mart and similar stores rose to take their place. Naturally, they don't hold the same historical significance, but I suppose that comes with the changes of the times. It's amazing how connected people become to certain brands and stores. 

For many years, there has been a large rivalry in Chicago between Dominick's stores and Jewel stores. People still shopped at local neighborhoods markets and there was a relative balance. With the rise of other grocers such as Aldi, Trader Joe's Whole Foods, and superstores such as Walmart and Target, the increasing competition was such that one of the big players would inevitably have to make an exit. 

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally I'm hoping this is a catalyst for Wegman's to come to the Midwest.
Aristede likes this.
#5 Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

Personally I'm hoping this is a catalyst for Wegman's to come to the Midwest.

That's an interesting idea, since Dominick's and Wegman's are similar price-wise. Though I wonder what incentive Wegman's would have to move into an already crowded market for grocer retailers?

Aristede:book: 

#6 Old 05-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to work at Dominicks in 98-00 and i was there during the safeway switch , it was a bad idea for them, i am surprised that they survived as long as they did after the safeway deal.
Aristede likes this.
#7 Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Banned

i like marianos better,have to admit.
Aristede likes this.
#8 Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellevegan239 View Post
i like marianos better,have to admit.
I went to Mariano's for the first time several weeks ago (before moving to Kuwait for the school year) and it's really nice. I still like Whole Foods better for some things, but Mariano's prices are great.

Aristede

Last edited by Aristede; 09-05-2014 at 06:21 AM.
#9 Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I mostly shop at Jewel, though there's also a place called Fresh Farms that has some great stuff, but it's far enough away that I only go there about once a month. Never shopped at a Dominicks, though there was one near me that I had been considering trying just before it closed.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page