I Want to Visit the Windy City! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

My sister and I have been talking about going away for a few days together for a sibling-bonding experience. Since neither of us has been to Chicago, it's on our list of possible destinations within the US.

So I'm asking those of you who live in or near Chicago a few questions. Nothing is decided, we're not making any specific plans right now, but I wanted to get the research going so I can have something to take back to my sister.

When to go: Weather-wise, when is the best time of year to visit? If we go in the summer (most likely), which part of the summer is best?

Where to stay: Do you know of any hotels right in the center of the action, not too far from anything, that have a good reputation and aren't ridiculously expensive?

Transportation: Probably the El. I've never been on an elevated train, so that's definitely something I'll want to do.

The Tourist Thing: I'm interested in visiting the Art Institute, but beyond that, I'm not sure what goes on the list of must-sees and must-dos while in Chicago, as well as all those interesting places that tourists don't often get to and events that we shouldn't miss. I would not be disappointed if we skipped the Field Museum, since we have a natural history museum here in Los Angeles.

What to listen to and where: I know Chi-town is one of THE places in the US to hear the blues, but can anyone clue me in as to where to go and who to listen to?

What to eat and where: I'm l/o vegetarian, and my sister is pescatarian, but like any big city, I'm sure Chicago has some terrific vegan restaurants. If we are directed to a great place that's veg-friendly, that's fine, but if there's a great vegan place down the street that's open, I'd like to know about that, too.

Thank you ever so much!

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Pretty much May thru Sept are good months to vist, things are really bustling June-Aug particularly. Depending on the vibe you want I would rec staying on Mich Ave for a more central easy to find transportation venue, if you want more artsy I would suggest Wicker Park. I know Priceline always has really good deals for four stars on Mich. Ave. and there are always plenty of taxis and plenty of L stops. Also Navy Pier/North Pier and Oak St. beach are in walking distance, and the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum are nearby. I could rec veg restaurants better based on where you are staying since they are quite spread out. As for blues I would definitely rec Rosa's this is the real deal, Kingston Mines is okay but touristy.
#3 Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I'm jealous! My best friend moved to Chicago last year and has been begging me to visit. I would love to but it's a 12-13 hour drive and I refuse to fly! Some day I will get there.

I already have plans though to hit up the Chicago Diner for a reuben and a milkshake and of course make reoccurring visits during my trip there. Of course I need to try a vegan deep dish pizza. Handlebar, Earwax cafe, Karyn's and Amitibul also sound awesome. Chicago just seems like a vegan heaven and there seems to be an awesome and impressive amount of vegan/veg restaurants all around.

I'd love to go to the Shedd also and see some dolphins! According to their website they also have a lot of jazz events going on (if you like jazz).

Hope you have a great trip and get to spend some quality time with your sis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Beginner

I would research things that you like on Tripadvisor. I have found lots of good trip info there. One thing I do recommend is taking a Chicago Food Planet Tour. It is awesome and if you enjoy food and cool products that is the place. Just tell them you are vegetarian or vegan and they will make sure you get alternate (all were veggie but one anyways) options.

My favorite place to eat is the Chicago Diner. Their milkshakes are awesome and I highly recommend the Dagwood Sandwich!
#5 Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Oh my lord....Chicago is a fantastic place for vegheads (well for anyone, really ) I have lots to say, of course , but I'm afraid it's nearly my bedtime here.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page