Illinois Visiting Chicago - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I will be in Chicago from July 31st to August 2nd. I was wondering if there were any specific vegetarian restaurants that I should check out. This is my first trip to Chicago as a vegetarian and I know Chicago has a lot to offer as far as veggie food goes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I will be in the Rogers Park area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2009, 02:12 PM

www.blindfaithcafe.com (in Evanston, not too far from Rogers Park) is my favorite in the area. There's a big list of restaurants here: http://vegillinois.com/chicago.asp?Category=Restaurant

Karyn's Cooked, right downtown, is wonderful too. Soul Vegetarian is a bit on the south side, but definitely worth a trip as well. If you go to the beach at 63rd street, there is a vegetarian snack stand! Not super-remarkable food, but good fare, and pretty cool.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I love, love, LOVE The Chicago Diner, Soul Vegetarian East and most of all Alice and Friends!! I don't know my way around the city too well but if you go on my friends list and send a PM to VegBunny83 I'm sure she would have some advice or at least be able to tell you how close to Rogers Park they are. I've been to two outta those three with her. She lives in the city and knows all the hot spots
#5 Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 AM

Victory's Banner is right in Rogers Park, too. The food's been just average, imo, but the atmosphere is good. There's also some place down the street where you can get vegan ice cream!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Victory's Banner is right in Rogers Park, too. The food's been just average, imo, but the atmosphere is good. There's also some place down the street where you can get vegan ice cream!

Wrong neighborhood. It's in Roscoe Village.
#7 Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 PM

Ah yeah. Sorry about that. I've only been to Victory's Banner just once.

#8 Old 07-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Beginner

I too love The Chicago Diner. If you like craft brew this is place is a must.
#9 Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I think Handlebar is the best vegan brunch in town.
#10 Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Ooh. Pick Me Up Cafe wins for me, for breakfast, but they're not a veg restaurant. Earwax is nice too (Earwax Cafe, that is), but I heard they might be closed.

#11 Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

So many places to choose from! I only have 4 or 5 meals while I am down there. Obviously I won't go to a sit down restaurant for every meal... maybe 2 times. I think we are def. going to the Chicago Diner.

I am not used to having SO many options. There is only 1 vegetarian restaurant close to where I live in Wisconsin. There are quite a few veg friendly ones though.
#12 Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

VeggieBite is a vegetarian fast food place but I've never been there. I've heard great things though.
#13 Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM

Pah. VeggieBite is nice for greasy spoon food, but if I only had 4 or 5 meals, I'd go elsewhere (just my opinion )

#14 Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

My trip was fab!

I went to Blind Faith Cafe (brunch) and The Chicago Diner (dinner).

There food was incredible. I preferred Blind Faith to the Chicago Diner, becuase I thought Blind faith's food was a bit lighter and that their ingrediants were a bit more fresh. Their vegan cupcakes we to die for!

I can hardly wait to go back again an try some new restaurants.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page