Georgia - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 12-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going down to Columbus this weekend to attend Trilogy Tuesday at the new theatre down there. I'm going to be with my omni best friends, so going to eat at a veg restaurant may not be an option, but just in case, could you tell me the name of it, Dex?

ETA: Ann, I'm glad to see your post, I've been looking for ways to get involved in my area. I signed up at the site. ^^

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

For those of you in GA, here is some info concerning a public meeting coming up this month. Everyone is welcome! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me at annd at anndroid dot net

In the spirit of uniting together to work for the animals, I wanted to invite you all to the bi-monthly meeting of Georgia Animal Rights and Protection (GARP).

The meeting will be held on Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at the Sandy Springs library which is located at 395 Mt Vernon Highway, Atlanta, GA 30328. Their number is 404 303-6130. To get exact directions, please consult Yahoo maps.

We have a variety of different projects on which we are working including improving the living conditions of chained dogs, the circus, hunting and animals used in medical research. In fact, Heide Pollyea will be making a presentation on her campaign "Dogs Deserve Better".

We are also asking for volunteers to be a legal coordinator (no you don't have to be a lawyer or para-legal, although if you are that would be great) and a media coordinator. We will be explaining and detailing of these positions at the meeting.

Please join us as we unite to help alleviate the pain, suffering and death of innocent animals on all levels in Georgia. Let's make 2004 the year we all join together to help the animals.
#33 Old 01-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

For those of you that live in GA, you may have heard something about this. Please take a moment to write your representative and let him know you oppose this. Information on how to do so is below.

Georgia Senator Eric Johnson of Savannah is trying to pass a bill that would add the right to hunt and fish to the constiutional admendment. The bill has just been approved by the Senate, and we need to act immediately to get this stopped. PLEASE pass this information on to everyone you know who is anti-hunting, in any interest, even if just for public safety or conservation of nature trails like the silver comet which may be obselete if this passes.

Contact your Georgia State Representative IMMEDIATELY and let him know that you STRONGLY OPPOSE "H. R. 985, the "Right to Hunt Amendment" - by Sen. Eric Johnson (R-Savannah)" Look below for points you can use to state your issue.

Find your representative by going to http://www.vote-smart.org and entering your 9 digit zip code in the upper left nav bar.

Here are some points you can make in your opposition letter:

H.R. 985 would be redundant. The General Assembly passed similar "right to hunt" legislation, H.B. 301, in 2001.

H.R. 985 would be unnecessary. Hunting is a legal, regulated activity that will continue without it.

The effects of such a law would be impossible to predict, according to an AJC article by Stacy Shelton. This could lead to a extermination of rights of hikers and hiking trails, hunting in state parks, and an increase in the rise of hunting accidents, which according to the DNR is an average of 72 a year with 8 fatalities.

Hunters pay a privilege tax when they purchase licenses. Can the state tax individuals for exercising a right?

Where would all this end? Wouldn't kayakers and postcard collectors need constitutional amendments to exert their "rights" too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Please try and attend the Ringling Bros. Circus protest in Atlanta.

It will be held tomorrow, Thursday the 11th from 6:30PM to 8:00PM

It will be in front of Philips Arena at the Techwood (cent. olympic park dr.) entrance. For directions please visit http://www.philipsarena.com/st0300/d...rections.shtml

Following is an e-mail from a local Atlanta Resident describing what she viewed at a visit earlier today while the circus was setting up:

How many lives can you change today?

Is that an obnoxious question or what? But I saw it on the marquee near

the Philips Arena while walking back from looking at Ringling's animals

just now and I thought it... surreal...

Since I work dowtown I was able to use my lunch hour to go see what I

could of the animals that Ringling is currently using in the cruelest show

on earth. The tigers were in bigger cages than I expected - but were

being kept 2 to a cage. The cages were connected to trailers and to some

extent to each other. I saw about 8 tigers who were sharing (two to a

cage) space about 12 feet long and wide enough for them to walk by each

other - but just barely. Those beautiful animals were pacing the cages and

dashing out the connecting doors only to find that it wasn't a door to

freedom afterall. When the rains come tonight the tigers's cages will be

getting wet as they have open sides and no overhang on the "roofs" of the

cages. As I watched one tiger going in and out, and in and out, and in and

out the door that connected the two cages I remembered what an awful

feeling it was to be in jail - never being able to just walk through a

door. It was by far the worst feeling I've ever had - and I've had some

bad ones.

But as bad as the tigers have it I think the elephants have it even

worse. They are in the biggest tent - red and white striped with a white

roof. When I was there they were finishing putting up the "walls" and the

back was fairly open so I was able to see in and catch a glimpse of the

elephant's life. The one closest to me was all I could see clearly and she

was chained by the front left leg and the back right leg. She could only

move one step forward or backward before the chain pulled and dug into her

ankle. She'd take a step forward and pull the chained back leg, then when

she couldn't move any further, she'd take a step backwards making the

chain on her front leg pull tight. That's all she can do - and as she

began to rock on her front right leg which was not chained I began to

remember how standing still for just 2 hours on a demo line can make my

back, knees and feet hurt. How much must their knees, back, ankles be

hurting when they can't even take two free steps?

So as I began the walk back to my office thinking of telling you all

this I saw the marquee sign asking "How many lives can you change today"

and the only answer I came up with is "I don't know - let's try it and

see".

When you eat supper tonight, watch the results of American Idol (or

whatever), walk your dogs, cuddle your cats, and finally stretch out in a

warm dry bed - remember the caged tigers and chained elephants and then

come out tomorrow night (and any other time you can) and let's just see

how many lives we can change.

Philips Arena, Techwood Entrance - off of Centennial Olympic Park Dr.

We'll start the demo at 6:30 but come when you can - we'll be there until

8ish.
#35 Old 02-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

The Circus is in town guys. If any of you are anti-circus, please try to come out. We desperately need protesters to attend the event.

It is going to be very non-confrontational, just stand there holding a sign, or pass out information.

I will be at the following shows protesting. If you are interested in attending any of them, email me at annd at anndroid.net for more info!!!

- ANNS PROTEST SCHEDULE

(Will arrive an hour before each show)

RINGLING BROS. CIRCUS Phillips Arena

Fri, February 13

7:30 PM

Sat, February 14

11:30 AM

3:30 PM

(Between shows I may be leafleting L5P or Atlanta area w/ Why Vegans or something, if youd like to join e-mail me!)

Sun, February 15

11:30 AM

(Between shows I may be leafleting L5P or Atlanta area w/ Why Vegans or something, if youd like to join e-mail me!)

Wed, February 18

Fri, February 20

Sat, February 21

Sun, February 22

UNIVERSOUL Turner Field

Wed, February 18

Fri, February 20

Sat, February 21**

12:00 PM

4:30 PM

8:00PM

Sun, February 22**

(**this may change depending on my mothers surgery this weekend)

1:00PM

4:00PM

7:00PM

Tues, February 24

Wed, February 25

Fri, February 27

Sat, February 28

Sun, February 29

Tues, March 02

Wed, March 03

Fri, March 05

Sat, March 06

Sun, March 07

#36 Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

OK, who out there would like to go see Erykah Badu at the Fox on March 12? I bought tickets in November with a friend promising to go with. Now she has conflicting plans, and everyone I've asked can't make it. Please let me know!
#37 Old 03-06-2004, 10:56 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm from Conyers, and I'm not a lost child, thank you.

Love veggie food, but there aren't any good places in C-town. Cafe Sunflower is great in Atlanta, I've seen a bunch of posts about it. Actually a friend of mine is vegan and she eats pretty well at Outback, go figure.

Nice to know I'm not the only veggie in Georgia!
#38 Old 03-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I need help! This is an emergency! (A fangirl emergency, anyway.)

Rooney is going to be performing at 5PM on 3/17/04 at Fados Irish Pub. Normally I would have no interest in going to a pub on St. Patrick's Day, but Rooney is special. I will endure the crowding and the Guiness-soaked masses, the non-veg-friendly pub food and the Atlanta traffic, to see Rooney.

Is anyone interested in meeting me there so I don't have to go alone? Pleeeeeease? I doubt it will be very expensive, and we don't have to stay the whole day (Fados is apparently having some sort of funky St. Patrick's Day alcohol-fest), but I will die if Robert Carmine is in the same city with me and I can't go lust over him in person.

If anyone is willing/interested, please let me know and I'll contact my supervisor ASAP to request the time off.

*dies*

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#39 Old 03-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I could meet you there around 6-7, but I couldn't make it at 5pm cause I work until then

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

Okay, I need help! This is an emergency! (A fangirl emergency, anyway.)

Rooney is going to be performing at 5PM on 3/17/04 at Fados Irish Pub. Normally I would have no interest in going to a pub on St. Patrick's Day, but Rooney is special. I will endure the crowding and the Guiness-soaked masses, the non-veg-friendly pub food and the Atlanta traffic, to see Rooney.

Is anyone interested in meeting me there so I don't have to go alone? Pleeeeeease? I doubt it will be very expensive, and we don't have to stay the whole day (Fados is apparently having some sort of funky St. Patrick's Day alcohol-fest), but I will die if Robert Carmine is in the same city with me and I can't go lust over him in person.

If anyone is willing/interested, please let me know and I'll contact my supervisor ASAP to request the time off.

*dies*

#40 Old 03-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anndr0id View Post

I could meet you there around 6-7, but I couldn't make it at 5pm cause I work until then

Thanks for offering, but I imagine they'll be done by then, and they're the only ones I'm really interested in seeing perform. (I don't even know who else will be there. ^^;; )

I probably can't get off work, anyway. I'll just fangirl from a distance. ^^:;

#41 Old 03-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

WOW! Look how old this thread is and I have never looked at it!!!! Anyways I live in Alpharetta. I think the locks got my attention and I had to be noisy and find out why it was locked. LOL!

I'm not from Georgia, my job brought me here. I'm looking at possibly moving to Ashburn Virginia next. But I really like it here now that I've settled in.
#42 Old 04-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Please try to attend this event if at all possible. We have people organizing places to stay for out of town guests, and a bunch of stuff going on. Please read the info below. The protest on Saturday is the most important event of the whole weekend. If you can only come to one, please come to that. The primates at Yerkes desperately need your voice to end their suffering, and if ever was the best time to do it, that is this day, because we will have national coverage and we need as many people as we can get. Please contact me if you have questions and visit http://www.petaatlanta2004.com for more info

Thanks Guys!!

Please plan to attend Lab Day, and speak for Jerom, one of the poor chimpanzees who suffered and died a horrible death at Yerkes. Jerom was so ravaged by disease which was injected into him by Yerkes, that in his last days on earth, he was alone and sobbing on the cold, hard floor of his concrete cell at Emory. This kind of barbaric cruelty continues to this day for research which is invalid, unnecessary and unethical.

Here are the planned events:

1. Ingrid Newkirk will be speaking at Georgia State University Friday, April 23 at 1:30pm. Anyone who would like to attend is more than welcome.

For more info, see www.gsu.edu/~wwwveg/

2. We HOPE YOU WILL MARK YOUR CALENDERS for a special concert at the RED LIGHT CAFE, FRIDAY APRIL 23rd 553 Amsterdam Ave, Atlanta (go west on Amsterdam off of Monroe drive between Ponce de Leon and Piedmont) the show starts at 7:30 with the Hushpuppies so we encourage you to try to be there then!

This Concert will feature three bands. Each dedicated to animal causes like PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals)

In addition to the music (featuring Heidi and the Hushpuppies/funky folk guitar, keyboards, vocals, bass and percussion) the fabulous duo of Able and Rawls and Early Moses (featuring former lead guitarist for Collective Soul, Ross Childress) the founder and president of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk will be giving a talk that cannot be missed!

Doors open at 6:30, food and drinks available, cover is $7 at the door. Dont miss a minute!

For more info visit www.petatlanta2004.com as other important events will be going on throughout the weekend.

3. On Saturday, April 24 we will have a legal, peaceful protest at the stone gates at Emory University from 11am to 1pm. This is across the street from Everybody's Pizza. The address for EP is 1593 North Decatur Road. It is at the intersection of North Decatur Road and Oxford Road.

This event on Saturday will make national news so PLEASE, PLEASE be there.

Thank you.
#43 Old 05-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all... I just joined veggie boards a few days ago. I just found the Georgia one a few minutes ago. I live in the Atlanta area. In Gwinnett Cty. Nice to know there are fellow Georgians here also! I am vegetarian working towards vegan btw.
#44 Old 05-29-2004, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Stephanie. I work in Atlanta and live in the suburbs. Have you had a chance to go to any of the really good veg restaurants around here?

Thanks to missleigh, I've had a chance to try a few of them, and they've all been really good so far.

#45 Old 05-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Ceryna....... I haven't been able to go to any because they aren't in my area. They are closer to downtown or just not in my area (Gwinnett Cty) it seems. I have good luck eating at certain restaurants being veg. like Ruby Tuesday. I love their veggie burger & salad bar. I'm not vegan yet, so that will make it harder when I am. I would really love to try them one day though. I eat at home most of the time.
#46 Old 06-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Currently PETA has a campaign asking KFC to implement some changes to

eliminate some of the horrific suffering of chickens on factory farms and

in slaughterhouses. (Debeaking, over-crowded cages, rough gathering where

many suffer broken bones, electrical stunning, throat slitting, live

scalding, and some other basic humane standards - to see demands, go to

http://kfccruelty.com/animals.html) To date KFC has refused to make even

the smallest change, so PETA is asking activists to hold monthly

leaflettings at KFCs on the first Saturday of each month.

Please join local activists this Saturday, June 5th, from 11:30 am to

1:00 pm at the KFC located on Pleasant Hill Road, near Gwinnett Mall. The

street address is 2080 Pleasant Hill Road, and there is plenty of parking

available nearby. (Of course you should not park on KFC's property.)

We have a chicken costume and need a volunteer to wear it - anyone up

for it? We will have signs and literature to hand out. Please come and be

a voice for the millions of chickens who are slaughtered each DAY - 24

million a day.
#47 Old 06-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

If any of you know of someone living near Hinesville that might be interested in adopting a dog, please let me know. He is a blonde pit bull/lab mix and is between 1 1/2 to 2 years old. I found him as a stray. He is very sweet and gets a long with other dogs.
#48 Old 06-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in MACON
#49 Old 06-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_Sword2Sky View Post

If any of you know of someone living near Hinesville that might be interested in adopting a dog, please let me know. He is a blonde pit bull/lab mix and is between 1 1/2 to 2 years old. I found him as a stray. He is very sweet and gets a long with other dogs.

Have you tried posting him to any of the local rescue lists?
#50 Old 06-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

My friend is moving and needs to find a home for one of her cats. I'm trying to get a pic. She lives in Cobb County. Let me know if anyone is interested.
#51 Old 06-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone in GA going to the Skinny Puppy show tonight?

I AM!!!!!!!!!!

hehe.
#52 Old 06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Augusta (aka Cultural Backwater), so no.
#53 Old 07-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Everyone:

There is a giant KFC truck that is traveling the country and will be stopped at the Great Atlanta Music Festival. We need to get out there and show KFC that what they are doing is wrong and we need to put leaflets in the hands of everyone we can. Please go out and leaflet anytime during the festival. You can get the hours of the festival at http://www.friendsofsweetauburn.com/musicfest.htm. You can also read all about the KFC truck at http://www.kfc.com/liveandcookin/default.htm.

We will also hold a demo at NOON Saturday (07/24) afternoon. Please bring any supplies that you have, posters, leaflets, etc. Let's get out and show KFC that this abuse must stop! You can find a map of where the truck will be located at http://www.garpatlanta.org/KFCmap.xls and if you have any questions or want to carpool, please contact GARP at http://www.garpatlanta.org/contact.asp

KFC is responsible for slitting conscious birds throats open, and scalding them while theyre still alive. They cut the beaks off of mother hens without pain killers and drug their chickens with antibiotics to keep them alive through conditions that would otherwise kill them. Please join our worldwide campaign against KFC by attending this protest.

You can visit www.KentuckyFriedCruelty.com for more information.
#54 Old 08-21-2004, 07:01 AM

Hello there! I am a 34-year-old GM in the N Fulton area. I'm a new vegetarian (two months) who is seriously working towards being a vegan. I don't know any other veggies/vegans, and it can be difficult sometimes without a support network. Can anyone recommend good vegetarian and/or vegan groups in the area? I am looking for support, encouragement and friendship only. Thanks!
#55 Old 08-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

AN:

Check meetup.com. There's a vegan meetup for the Atlanta area. I'm on the mailing list but I've never been able to attend one. I'm not sure if they even have enough people to occur regularly.

But it's worth checking in to.

#56 Old 08-21-2004, 05:21 PM

Thanks Ceryna. Someone on the vegan forum also suggested this and I definitely intend to follow through! I appreciate it.
#57 Old 08-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Newbie View Post

Hello there! I am a 34-year-old GM in the N Fulton area. I'm a new vegetarian (two months) who is seriously working towards being a vegan. I don't know any other veggies/vegans, and it can be difficult sometimes without a support network. Can anyone recommend good vegetarian and/or vegan groups in the area? I am looking for support, encouragement and friendship only. Thanks!

You might also be interested in the vegetarian society of georgia, which has a website at http://www.vegsocietyofga.org/ and also GARP which has many vegans at http://www.garpatlanta.org

#58 Old 08-24-2004, 05:25 PM

Hey anndr0id, thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out those groups' websites. 'Preciate it.
#59 Old 09-02-2004, 04:05 AM

Speaking of meetup.org, there is a Vegan meetup this Saturday for the Marietta-Roswell, GA area. So far there are only three people signed up. The event will be automatically canceled unless at least five people sign up! Anyone who can attend, please sign up!! (To find the Marietta-Roswell geography on meetup.org, search using ZIP code 30075.)

Thanks!
#60 Old 09-02-2004, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I would, but I'm not vegan. I'm in the vegetarian group for that area, but it's also very small. I may be the only one.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page