We May be moving to Georgia... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

currently my boyfriend and I live in Denver, CO. He is flying out for a job interview in Marietta and is really excited about it. We both have a very good feeling about how it will go, and in case we end up moving I was hoping to get some idea of what it's like to live in Marietta or Atlanta. What neighborhoods are good, what are some cool places to eat, what sort of activites do you recomend?

Just looking to get a little knowledge of the area.

Thanks so much!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

hey, i've lived in Denver too, and now live in East Atlanta (east atlanta cockin' hammers!). If he's applying to work in Marietta, you'll most likely end up living there, and I can't tell you crap about it because the only time I go to Marietta is for holidays with boyfriend's parents. But I can tell you a little bit about Atlanta -- the traffic is the worst I've ever seen in my life. It is so terror, headache, torture inducing that every time it looks like we're going to get stuck in rushhour traffic, i take a valium. (note -- this stuff about the traffic is only about driving from Atlanta --> Marietta or Atlanta ---> Alpharetta, which is most of the workday commute.) The sprawl is incredible and repulsive. The public transportation is not good. The pollution levels here are way higher than what you've seen in Denver, although the cities are similar in population. I haven't seen stars since the summer. There are no peaches here either, that's a total lie.

That's all the bad stuff.

The good stuff:

amazingly cheap booze, everywhere. All over the EAV, L5P (little five points), the Old Fourth Ward -- chock full of bars & good music clubs that will all get you wasted for cheap, and always have good local & popular artists.
amazing, amazing parties. from Big Boi & his proteges (Janelle Monae, Yelawolf) warehouse parties to Dungeon Family parties, the local party scene is incredible.
great local music -- if you're into southern rap or heavy metal. some of the best of those worlds come out of Atlanta. also a great indie/alternative dance scene.
there are lots of intramural leagues for all kinds of sports around here. We live a couple blocks from Grant Park -- there are always kickball teams, Ultimate teams, playing there in the warm weather.
it is an amazing place to be an upwardly mobile black person. I think this is the only place in the country where black people with Ivy League degrees come looking to live and work, and it is the only city I've lived in where the majority is represented in the face of everything. The mayor, the chief of police, etc are all black. It's the only city of it's kind like this, and it's aptly called 'The Black Mecca.' There are tons of major companies here -- Coca Cola, Tuner Broadcasting Systems (we make your Adult Swim here!), CNN, etc. It's also perfectly located to travel across the southeastern united states without much issue -- we're going to Tallahassee next weekend, our roommates take weekends off and go to Charleston, it's only 6 hours on a train to DC, etc. It is also incredibly interesting to just look at. One of my favourite places to go is the Cemetery near our house, and hangout on the raised memorial "in honour of the confederate dead" and look at the skyline. It is very much southern. There is an accent, there is a vibe. It is also very young. If you are parents, Alpharetta or Marietta is probably a safe bet. Not that you can't raise children here, it's just more difficult. It is most surely a 20something yuppie/professional city. I live with 3 other people in our 3 bedroom house, and not a single one was raised in the city, they were all raised in Alpharetta or Marietta.

A couple of my favourite places in Atlanta (proper):

http://www.theporterbeerbar.com/ (only one vegan item but incredible beers, including vegan & gluten free beers)
http://www.fivespot-atl.com/
http://www.97estoria.com/
http://www.frontpageatlanta.com/ (my bar for watching NOLA Saints or LSU tigers ball)
http://clatl.com/ -- the only weekly paper we read

i think i've rambled enough for tonight

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#3 Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Very cool! Thanks so much for the helpful thoughts! If we end up moving, we definately want to be sure we can go out and hang someplace cool and meet people our own age since we're both in our early 20s and love doing the whole bar scene thing (I like to dance too, but good luck getting him to do that! ). I just checked out the website for Five Spot and I officially now want to go and check it out. Not crazy about the traffic from what you describe, but I'm sure we can figure it out. Now we just need to make sure he gets the job and find a place to live!

Thanks again for the help!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Very cool! Thanks so much for the helpful thoughts! If we end up moving, we definately want to be sure we can go out and hang someplace cool and meet people our own age since we're both in our early 20s and love doing the whole bar scene thing (I like to dance too, but good luck getting him to do that! ). I just checked out the website for Five Spot and I officially now want to go and check it out. Not crazy about the traffic from what you describe, but I'm sure we can figure it out. Now we just need to make sure he gets the job and find a place to live!

Thanks again for the help!

awesome! the traffic is insane, i don't understand. it is actually a major election issue, everyone vows to fix traffic problem with solutions that won't work -- they just end up building more highways instead of funding MARTA, containing sprawl, and making more bike friendly/walking friendly neighborhoods. Once you pick a neighborhood, you usually end up staying there. We live in EAV (East Atlanta Village) and we rarely venture out farther than Midtown, and it's gotta be for something amazing to go to Midtown (downtown). The rent is a crapshot here as well, but overall it's on the cheap side. we pay 600$/month in mortgage/city taxes for our 2000sq/ft 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house near Grant Park (where The Walking Dead pilot took place), a very rich and old part of town. the crime rate is steadily falling as well.

let me know what happens

#5 Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks again for all your help! He did get the job offer and so now we're just debating what to do...if he gets another offer closer to home he'll probably go with that, but I think he's leaning towards going to GA! Will definately keep you posted once we decide for sure....and on another note, he said he loved Atlanta but HATED the traffic! You were definately right about that part!

#6 Old 01-29-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm from Marietta originally. Its not bad. Atlanta and the metro area have TERRIBLE traffic. You just have to deal with it. Its nice being so close to downtown Atlanta for all the things to do - good music scene in my opinion.
#7 Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM

are you moving here?? the weather is finally starting to turn...we planted some flowers.

#8 Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Shawtey we gotta hang out if you move here shawtey dogg! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
#9 Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Hey all, sorry I haven't been on in a while. My stupid computer broke down and I just got a new one. I'll be moving down next month! The fiance (that just happened recently ) is already down there starting work and seems to really like it. If only I could get myself motivated to get all our stuff packed up!

#10 Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

We moved to Kennesaw from Fl last year, and we just love it here! The weather is my favorite part.

ÂAn animalÂs eyes have the power to speak a great language.Â
ÂMartin Buber
#11 Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM

It sounds like you all really like it. The Fiance has been down there for a little over a week already and from what he says I can tell he's falling in love with the place. I can't wait till I can get out of work and come see for myself!

#12 Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM

did anything happen with this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page