California AB 1634 Re-worded....very sad - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 AM

If you have not been following or supporting AB 1634, you are needed now more than ever. Here is some cut & paste info from an email I received this morning. After reading, please follow the links to the ca healthy pets website to learn more, and most importantly, please contact Assembly Member Levine's office and let them know what you think about their actions.

The Senator presented amendments that remove all the current language of the bill and replace it with new language her office developed. The new bill targets only dogs and cats who are the subject of repeated complaints to animal control or repeated shelter impoundments. Assemblyman Levine agreed to adopt these amendments

The Senate Local Government Committee will hear and vote on the bill next Wednesday, June 25th, in Room 112 of the State Capitol. The hearing will start at 9:30 AM. The language should be in print tomorrow morning and available online at www.leginfo.ca.gov, and also on our website www.cahealthypets.com. The committee's new analysis should be available online by Friday morning, also at www.leginfo.ca.gov and will be posted on our website as soon as available.

The coalition we have built in support of the California Healthy Pets Act is the largest many people in California politics have ever seen. I know many of you will not be happy with this proposal, and I am personally deeply disappointed that AB 1634 has been rewritten by Senator Negrete McLeod. But, please take a careful look at the new bill and the committee's analysis, and come to your own conclusion about whether it might help decrease California's pet overpopulation.

You can email Assembly Member Levine's office at [email protected]. Your email may not get a personal response, but Assembly Member Levine's office has promised that every email will be read.

Californian Healthy Pets website: www.cahealthypets.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

This is truely a tragedy. I actually had the privilege of meeting the lady who authored the original bill and she is an amazing woman. She must be devastated.
#3 Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 AM

I know this Bill has been passed into law in some cities already, Im wondering how this "new wording" will affect them. I don't see how you can change the wording on something that has been voted on. So Im not sure if this is from here on out or just for the current cities voting??? I have not had time to go to the website and research yet. But I wanted to spread the word quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Its so sad (I also recieved that email). I had been following this bill since March of last year. What a shame, the original bill was great, but then they amended it and turned it into a bill that only applies for animals that have been complained about...and so on.

I know that Los Angeles and Santa Cruz have similar legislation for their counties. I live in Sacramento and I wish that we could consider a bill for our county like they did since the CA Healthy Pets Act was shot down.

What a shame, I am still supporting the amended bill, but its still never going to be as usefull as the orginal AB1634. Well, at least I can say, as a teen, I really tried my hardest to help pass the CA Healthy Pets Act. All last summer, I was emailing, calling, sending letters and petitions to Assemblymembers and Senators urging them for a yes vote. When AB1634 was pulled from the Senate it was a big disapointment.
#5 Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 PM

So my understanding is that this does not change the law in the counties that have already passed it. And as disappointing as the new wording is, I guess it's a step forward and at least getting congress to acknowledge a change needs to be made. And I believe that once the benefits of the original law start to show, the other counties will see these benefits and reconsider....one can only hope anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page