California - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 05-21-2003, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

i plan to relocate to Santa Cruz after i go to gainesville florida to attend midwifery school. i already have a friend in Santa Cruz, she loves it and knows all the vegan friendly places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 05-21-2003, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

oneness that's great!!!

Santa Cruz University.... Hm...

Whenever I hear that somebody got a degree at UC Santa Cruz, I want to ask: in what? surfing or joint rolling??

I know what you mean epski. I wanted to study in the biggest metropol possible. Which for me meant Vienna. Now I couldn't imagine living in a big city anymore, but who knows - maybe my opinion will change again...
#63 Old 05-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still enjoying being in a big city, and I probably have a few more years left living in one (though I'd like to get out of L.A.) before moving to a more Aspen-like area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 05-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Depending if i have a job next year I may move to Sacto. They're building schools like carzy up there in Elk grove
#65 Old 05-21-2003, 03:14 PM

hi everyone. i just moved to san bernardino county/alta loma, but i work in walnut and go to school in fullerton. i'm still pretty new to the socal thing, moved out here because that's where my honey was... it's still an adjustment.

i like the mix of people, availability of better groceries, linguistic diversity (ling major, i'm in the perfect place for fieldwork!)...

i don't like the pollution, the freeways, the amount of people, and the cost of living.

i'm thinking about doing my PhD up in berkeley (if they'll have me, heh) if i stay in california. think it might be more my speed. the thought of living right in LA or driving into irvine doesn't appeal to me at all.
#66 Old 05-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Matchgirl. My parents live in Riverside and I grew up out there. I used to hate it out there, but now that I am moving to the irvineish, LA area (I'm in Santa Barbara at the moment) in a month, I am starting to appreciate that area a little bit more. Housing is alot cheaper up there and there are less people. You can also get alot more land out there. Driving in LA freaks me out. It seems like even the lanes are smaller there. AHHHH!!!! What am I going to do?

Berkeley is very expensive too. But it is beautiful.

I am freaked out to be moving back down south. My lungs have enjoyed the five years of clean air. Sigh. Back to the place where you can't even see that there are mountains nearby.
#67 Old 05-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainSwab

Whooo hooo. The weather is finally turning nice in sunny california!

Aye Captain!

I agree, Berkeley is beautiful!
#68 Old 05-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

man you people make me sooooooo jealous...
#69 Old 05-21-2003, 08:47 PM

yeah, I pretty much can't breathe in Riverside. at least in Alta Loma I'm above much of it... it's so gross when I drive down the hill to get onto the freeway and can actually see the smog sealing off the valley. yuck.

good luck in Irvine/LA. I'm a bit upset at the moment with areas further south - my friend/boss lives in Anaheim Hills and we were going over to visit her when my car got totally smushed in between two others on the westbound 91 (traffic was so thick that we were stopped, and some jerk comes onto the freeway so quickly that he rams me, then pushes me into the guy ahead of me). so for the last two weeks of the semester, I have no car, and go to school 45 mins from where I live...

definately moving either to Berkeley or another state in several years. my boyfriend needs to finish his BSEE at Cal Poly, and I need to finish my MA in Fullerton, but after that we're looking for him to get a job and me to start a doc program elsewhere.

>>>>

Back to the place where you can't even see that there are mountains nearby.

>>>>

yeah, when I'll never forget when I moved out here... it was two years ago and we were in Pasadena, trying to find the place to return the rental truck. my dad's on the cell phone with the guy, telling him to look north - and my dad's saying, I can't tell which way's north. the guy tells him that the mountains are north - and we honestly couldn't see the mountains

incidentally, it's 97 degrees here...
#70 Old 05-21-2003, 08:50 PM

d'oh. but i forgot to mention that today they had tofu on sale for 89 cents a pound, silk soymilks were all on sale, yves good dogs, and tons of other yummy vegan stuff. at the regular grocery store. and mangoes are 4 for a dollar!!

compare this to florida and virginia (where i lived before), where you could barely find these items, let alone find them on sale at the mainstream store a couple blocks from your neighborhood...
#71 Old 05-22-2003, 01:44 AM

Hellooooo all! I'm a Santa Barbaran here!!! Love having the ocean and the mountains at my feet! If ya'll ever come to SB, you must try The Sorjourner restaurant its yummers!!!
#72 Old 05-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been wanting to do a Santa Barbara weekend for years now. One of these days... when I have money...
#73 Old 05-22-2003, 01:56 PM

oo. i know what i'd like to ask. can anyone recommend some fairly inexpensive, nice veg places to eat in either pasadena or claremont? thanks
#74 Old 05-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Mandabelle. I live there too. Been here for Five years and love it. Are you a Santa Barbara native?
#75 Old 05-22-2003, 05:51 PM

Yes I am born and raised here!
#76 Old 05-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone said Orean, over on Lake in Pasadena, was a good vegan fast food restaurant.
#77 Old 05-22-2003, 09:38 PM

Greetings from sunny Manhattan Beach! (Hence the name). God I love it here. I live three blocks to the beach and when the wind hits right, I can smell the ocean. My mom is from the Palisades and I was born and raised in Santa Monica. My husband was born and raised here in MB. So our son is third generation Californian. We are very pround of that . Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

BTW, there is a new raw food restaurant in Santa Monica called Juliano's Raw on the corner of 6th and Broadway. I mentioned it in another thread, but thought I would also mention it here. Try the desserts, they were amazing.
#78 Old 05-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi! Your place sounds awesome!

Yeah the Juliano dude is quite famous - not only among raw foodists. I've read his book. I was wondering where he is now (b/c his first restaurand was in SF) until I saw your post in that other thread.
#79 Old 05-22-2003, 11:07 PM

I remember seeing a bit on him on the food network and his restaraunt in San Francisco. I love the Manhattan Beach area, as well as Santa Monica. If I didn't live here those would be my top choices to move to. I also adore Los Gatos/Saratoga and Santa Cruz...
#80 Old 05-23-2003, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

wow lots of great restaurant suggestions. If I ever travel down south, I will have to try these.
#81 Old 05-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey! What fun outdoor activities are you planning for this fun Caliu summer?

I am hiking like crazy this summer, both with SD and my best friend from college who is moving to the North Bay from Oregon. I am sure there'll be lots of BBQs and beach trips too. Anyone else?
#82 Old 05-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

No plans to speak of, but BBQ and stayin cool
#83 Old 05-24-2003, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

As stated in another thread, my only plan is to set the world record in watermelon consumption! Just brought home a 20 pounder

The rest of my activities I'll just let unfold on their own, with no prior planning...
#84 Old 05-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Man... eating all that watermelon would probably upset my stomach.
#85 Old 05-24-2003, 11:14 AM

Lets see, summer plans.......Well, I obviously plan to spend a lot of time at the beach. Plus my grandma has a pool in Santa Monica so I will be going there a lot. I take two Mommy and Me classes, so I will be spending time with the ladies and babies. I am going to Austin for two weeks where most of my family lives. And then in August I will be celebrating my third year of marrage and my baby's first year of life! I am really excited for his first birthday. Oh, and I hope to finally figure out how to read financial statements, but I am not holding my breath! Math is NOT my forte. Scrapbooking, bbq's and a Fourth of July bash will round out the season. And then in the fall I am really excited to be joining a volanteer organization here in the South Bay. So, all in all, I am really excited for the summer, now I just wish the fog would lift and I could get started!
#86 Old 05-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh... watermelon.

My summer plans are pretty simple: work most of the summer, and then get out of the country when it gets really hot in August. I'll spend more of my time outside, though, and I'll be able to have more varying runs. I'll be taking extra dance classes. I'm going to be refinishing a lot of my furniture, so that will take time. And I'm planning on having a bunch of jam sessions at my apartment -- we've been trying to plan them, but enough of us are teachers that it makes sense to just wait until mid-June. And I'll be able to get up and go wherever I want every weekend. I love the lack of responsibility that comes with summer.
#87 Old 05-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll probably be working 7 days a week and filling every free moment with producing, editing and starring in a short film, writing, softball and, hopefully, some sleep.
#88 Old 05-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

We'll start with the move in June.

I am looking into a couple of tutoring places for the summer so I can continue working as a tutor.

Since we are moving, we have the Angeles national forest and the san bernardino mountains to explore (since I wasn't into very many outdoor activites when I was in high school) So I'm sure we'll be doing some camping.

As in the previous summers, camping at the Kern river with Daves family. Anybody else go over there in the summer time?

Plus I'm sure I'll be doing some SCUBA diving with my dad and one of my brothers (we are the only three that like sailing and diving in my family) and probably a couple of sailing trips over to Catalina.

I also have a duathlon I want to compete in and a triathlon in the end of June in mind. I'm not sure if I'm going to do these or not. We'll see.

I love the summer.
#89 Old 05-25-2003, 12:39 AM

I miss Cali too!!! I lived there my whole life until my father moved me when I was 16 to Texas. *evil* My bro still lives in Fullerton, who I miss dearly and see as often as I can. I lived in Alta Loma/Rancho Cucamonga until I was 11 and then moved to Placentia/Yorba Linda. *sigh* I will always be a Cali girl at heart. Don't you guys take it for granted, it is a cool place to live in the United States!
#90 Old 05-25-2003, 10:51 AM

My summer plans? My chair, a towel ,A few good books, my journal and the BEACH. AWWW yeah!

I prefer my hiking in the fall when its a tad cooler and before the rains flood the trails.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page