California - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 05-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Molly

Haven't been to either of those places, RedStar, but I'll be sure to check them out. I've been wanting to go to White Lotus for some time, so it's good to know that somebody recommends it.

Oh I most highly do. The dished with dairy are marked. The fake chicken does have egg whites in it however. I recommend the pumpkin soup. I have been trying for years to replicate it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Molly I'm on the Paul McCartney board, and we're trying to get a few people together to meet at a veggie restaurant some time in June, possibly June 7th. Perhaps we could all meet together? (See the McCartney posts.) [/B]

That sounds like fun. I'll ask my SO, Seadolphin if she wants to come too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainSwab

Hey Erin, my parents live in Riverside....right next to Moreno Valley.

Yeah, I use to take the bus to the mall there sometimes.

Hemet is just a small place, but Brad Pitt's character in Spy Game said that was where hw was from. I told my husband that it's a sign that Brad Pitt and I are meant to be together.

Let's see

One of my aunts live in Temecula

The other moved from Redondo Beach to Torrance

My grandmother is in Murrieta, but use to live in San Pedro

My older sister lives in San Jacinto

I forget where my other aunt lives

Many of Tim's relatives are in Bellflower

Although we met in Hemet, we were both born in the Lakewood hospital

Okay, what was my point?
#33 Old 05-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by vegcat

I'm in the South Bay Area (Torrance).

Has anyone been to Real Food Daily (in L.A. or Santa Monica) - that place is sooo gooood!

I seem to be in-between all the LA/OC area veggies. I've never been to Real Food Daily, but I've heard about it.

I was wondering, though, if you know where any of the Japanese markets are in Torrance. I've heard there are a few there & I'd like to check them out . I'm almost out of Nori Goma Furikake and I've become pretty addicted...

Mskedi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Speaking of South Bay, there's that place (The Spot, I think) in Hermosa Beach, which I tried once. It was pretty good.

Hey! My friend works at The Spot! They are very good, and very much like Green Temple (shhh...I like Green Temple better though! Actually, my friend that works there likes it better too )

Mskedi - the best Japanese Market down here is Marukai - hands down. They have everything!!! There is a membership fee of $10 a year though, but you can still get stuff without one (they up the price a bit). They are actually located in Gardena - right next to Torrance:

1740 West Artesia Boulevard

Gardena, CA 90248

Phone: (310) 660-6300

Nijiya Market is also one worth checking out. They specialize in Organic Japanese Gourmet foods!

2121 W. 182nd Street

Torrance, CA 90504

Phone: (310)366-7200

Hope this helps!
#35 Old 05-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow -- thanks Vegkat!! I'll go to one of those on my next grocery shopping trip.

Mskedi
#36 Old 05-15-2003, 12:19 AM

Im going to go to California one day!

Now im going to sound like a really bad stalker, but i promise you im not!!

Danny Kass lives there... eastern sierra.. Mammoth lakes to be more precess!!

Danny
#37 Old 05-15-2003, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm going to New Zealand someday, so I suppose it's okay.

I like Mammoth pretty well for the most part. I live nowhere near there, though, so I probably can't help you with the stalking of Danny Kass.

Mskedi
#38 Old 05-15-2003, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Re: Herbivore in SF

Quote:
Originally posted by RedStarJedi

yeah I just type badly

I love that place. Well placeS b/c they opened a second one some time ago. Nice grilled veggies. All vegan place.

It's not that difficult to find. It's not a huge place, but not that small either.

Good luck!
#39 Old 05-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Beginner

hey oatmeal - i just went to san fran a couple weeks ago - i am so jealous! you guys have the best farmers market and restaurants!! i went to "greens" and "millenium" while i was there. and all the art galleries! you lucky duck!!!!
#40 Old 05-16-2003, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yes!!!

Can't you move here?

I haven't been to Greens (yet?) - how is it? I checked out the menu online and they didn't have very many vegan dishes - a lot of cheese, if I recall correctly? Is the Greens the restaurant built by the SF Zen Center?

p.s. I'm actually not in SF but in San Mateo - about 15 mins to SF.

p.s.2. Danny yes, come!! I haven't seen any sheep here yet, but then again I haven't really looked. I'm sure you could find some!

p.s.3. We lead the other states by far in post count! Keep it up!
#41 Old 05-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Beginner

i wish!!

yeah, greens did have alot of dairy in their dishes, but they will veganize any dish. i had the curry minus some sort of dairy (i forget what it was!) that are pretty pricy for a "sit-down" meal, but the "greens-to-go" menu is reasonable. and i have no idea what the sf zen center is! it was by a school, i think. i dunno
#42 Old 05-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Not as many Angelenos as I would have hoped. VB members are a far-flung bunch!
#43 Old 05-18-2003, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Did someone say San Jose?? w00t w00t that's my hometown! I have been to the White Lotus once (yum). I have lived the past three years in San Diego and went to a place called....uhh the Veggie Zone I think (in Hillcrest). That was pretty good, too. Now I am living abroad and missing all the veggie resources in Cali...Whole Foods I love you! . I will be home soon!
#44 Old 05-18-2003, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

How is living in San Diego anyway? As a sun lover I'm thinking about moving as far south as possible as soon as possible. I've been there once for 1 day only and I basically liked what I saw.
#45 Old 05-18-2003, 07:41 AM

San Diego is very cool! There is an interesting mix of people, the weather is so good that I've heard people complain that they wished it would rain (in the two years I lived there, I can say I was never among them!), just a good atmosphere. Pacific Beach is great, LaJolla is one of the most beautiful towns I've ever seen, and the city itself is pretty clean. I hope to move back there some day!
#46 Old 05-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to high school in La Jolla. It was very nice. Kinda boring at night, though.
#47 Old 05-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

So many of my friends from high school & college have moved to San Diego -- it's ridiculous, really. I guess I don't see the appeal. There's nothing wrong with SD, and I like to visit now & then, but I've never considered living there. The weather is nice, though. But it's nicer here. (though smoggier)

Mskedi
#48 Old 05-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Aha! I perceive a positive bias towards SD here.

I'll just wait and see what opportunities future brings.

OTOH, I was thinking of moving away from the ocean, more towards desert. I mean the ocean it's nice, but I can do without it. And right here in the SF Bay Area, I could definitely do without it. I think it's the ocean that makes the evenings cold, even in summer. And I **love** hot weather and warm nights!

I guess Thailand has the best climate of all regions b/c it's hot, but it still rains every day. But I like dry weather too. Hm.
#49 Old 05-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

San Diego is awsome. I think I would prefer to live in Temecula though because there are less people there.

I love warm weather. I live in Santa Barbara at the moment and I think that its too cold even here. Too much June gloom. We are covered with fog the entire summer...I can't imagine what its like living in the bay area....
#50 Old 05-19-2003, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

Aha! I perceive a positive bias towards SD here.

I'll just wait and see what opportunities future brings.

OTOH, I was thinking of moving away from the ocean, more towards desert. I mean the ocean it's nice, but I can do without it. And right here in the SF Bay Area, I could definitely do without it. I think it's the ocean that makes the evenings cold, even in summer. And I **love** hot weather and warm nights!

I guess Thailand has the best climate of all regions b/c it's hot, but it still rains every day. But I like dry weather too. Hm.

I'm thinking about retiring somewhere between San Francisco and Yosemite, Oat. I'm more of a mountain man than an ocean person, though I do enjoy beach volleyball on occasion.
#51 Old 05-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone from the Sacramento area?
#52 Old 05-20-2003, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Brrrrr cold epski!
#53 Old 05-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

It was such a nice day today and I was in need of some supplies for my hydroponic garden and so I took the day off and drove to San Fran. I didn't like it that much this time, because the traffic freaked me out (I'm not used to this anymore...) and because the shop was closed.

Then I thought I'd drive to the next closest hydro shop in the area, which is in Santa Cruz. The name Santa Cruz had always a special ring to me because when I learned UNIX back in the days, I read a lot about SCO UNIX - SCO stands for Santa Cruz Operation. I always asked myself what kind of a place SC might be where people wrote such brilliant stuff in the 70s. I mean you can't find many people in Europe who can do it TODAY.

So (the sun was still at full throttle) - I drove down there. Oh.... my..... dog.... Santa Cruz is soooo beautiful! Simply gorgeous, awesome. It's also a very friendly place - a ton of nice people, very "individualistic".

But the place is still very earthy and original, not like, for instance, the "hippieness" of Palo Alto, which is maybe a bit too rich meanwhile for conveying that kind of vibe proper.

I also went to a random shop - it was not advertised as a health food store, just a shop. They had a larger bulk section than Whole Foods, they had miso bulk by the pound!!! They had 5lbs slabs of tofu. The non-dairy section was huge, the cheese section tiny. I didn't see meat in there (but I didn't looked for it either, though!). Organic produce everywhere. Fresh juices and salads galore.

California is a GREAT place and I'm so happy to be here.
#54 Old 05-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend that live in Santa Cruz. I have not been down there in awhile, perhaps a nice visit would be cool.

When I do go there, you have to tell me where that place is Oat.
#55 Old 05-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Santa Cruz has been crunchy for decades. Back when I was looking at the UC schools for college, that actually turned me off! So, even though I got it in, I ended up going to UCLA. I'm still glad I did, but I'm sure I wouldn't find Santa Cruz so weird anymore.
#56 Old 05-20-2003, 03:14 PM

Hello! I'm in Northern Orange County. I'm kind of sick of the smog and traffic and such....and people in a hurry...and the serious lack of nature. But other than that...I love it. There are some semi-untouched places up here that I hope to be moving to soon.

and oh yes! The Wheel of Life is my favorite restaurant....*drool*.
#57 Old 05-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Whooo hooo. The weather is finally turning nice in sunny california!
#58 Old 05-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Good grief it was hot and smoggy today. Ew.
#59 Old 05-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

There's another vegan place down the street from Ben's in SJ. It's called Good Karma and is also all vegan. It's on Santa Clara Street between 7th and 8th. It's good food too though Ben's is better in my opinion. it is open on Sundays though which is good because Ben's isn't since that is his day to rest and meditate.
#60 Old 05-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been letting my students work outside since it's been so nice out, but today it was kinda smoggy and there was no breeze. Blech. They still preferred the grass to the classroom, though. Can't say I blame them.

Hi Muzicfan! I'm nowhere near Sacramento, but I pass through there frequently. There's a great hostel near the center of town that's nicer than most hotels and costs something like $7 a night. Neat place.

Mskedi
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page