VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   California (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/74-california/)
-   -   Los Angeles Places To Eat For Vegetarians (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/74-california/132513-los-angeles-places-eat-vegetarians.html)

Jyenormous 01-17-2012 06:08 AM

Hi there

I am set to travel to Los Angeles on holiday, however am unsure of any great places to eat for a vegetarian (myself).

Would really appreciate a few recommended spots.

Amy SF 01-17-2012 07:16 AM

I live in the L.A. area.

Real Food Daily, Santa Monica and West Hollywood
Follow Your Heart in the San Fernando Valley
The Veggie Grill, Santa Monica, El Segundo and elsewhere
Native Foods in Westwood and Culver City
Rahel Vegan Ethopian restaurant in Los Angeles

and that's just for starters. I have to leave now, but I can add more later. Hang in there!

Also, the places I listed above are strictly veg*an, but there are also other restaurants that aren't but are veg*an friendly.

ElaineV 01-17-2012 08:47 AM

Amy SF 01-17-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Whenever we go to LA we feel like kids in a candy store.
http://www.vegguide.org/region/97
http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/california/

You will NOT go hungry in L.A., trust me.

This morning I forgot to mention Golden Mean Cafe in Santa Monica, which is also vegan.

There is also Madeleine Bistro in Tarzana, which is a vegan French restaurant. I've never been there, and it's pretty pricey and upscale, but I'd love to try it. *hinthint*

Jyenormous 01-17-2012 10:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, will certainly check a lot of these places out.

lol nice placement with the "hinthint" Amy SF =)

Amy SF 01-21-2012 04:31 PM

I also neglected to mention Stuff I Eat, a vegan mostly soul food restaurant in Inglewood. I've eaten there twice (so far) and they're really good.

Barry 01-27-2017 10:30 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I hope Amy SF is still active and reads this. I plan to take my son and his girlfriend out to dinner for his birthday. This will be the first time I meet her, and she is a vegetarian. They live in Playa del Rey, so anything on the Westside would work. I'd even drive further, if you know of a special place. As it is I'll be driving a couple of hours just to get to their place. I prefer food that isn't highly spiced, but I'm not going for bland, either. I'm not looking to impress her by picking some place expensive, but I don't want a dive, either. A nice sit down restaurant with quality healthy food and a nice atmosphere would be ideal. Based on the descriptions and reviews I've read online, The Green Temple in Redondo Beach sounds closest to what I am seeking. What are the best veggie restaurants in the area? I only have 3 weeks to get this planned, so hope to hear from Amy or others fairly soon.

Thalassa 02-01-2017 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry (Post 4053090)
I realize this is an old thread, but I hope Amy SF is still active and reads this. I plan to take my son and his girlfriend out to dinner for his birthday. This will be the first time I meet her, and she is a vegetarian. They live in Playa del Rey, so anything on the Westside would work. I'd even drive further, if you know of a special place. As it is I'll be driving a couple of hours just to get to their place. I prefer food that isn't highly spiced, but I'm not going for bland, either. I'm not looking to impress her by picking some place expensive, but I don't want a dive, either. A nice sit down restaurant with quality healthy food and a nice atmosphere would be ideal. Based on the descriptions and reviews I've read online, The Green Temple in Redondo Beach sounds closest to what I am seeking. What are the best veggie restaurants in the area? I only have 3 weeks to get this planned, so hope to hear from Amy or others fairly soon.

Mmm...Cafe Gratitude is a sit down, full service vegan restaurant on Rose Avenue in Venice. I don't know about "atmosphere" for that you might want to go to Moby's Little Pine, but that's not near Playa del Rey. I used to live on that side of town, and the closest place with atmosphere I can think of is Real Food Daily in Santa Monica, unless you want to go to a Thai place that isn't vegan but serves vegan cuisine, there's one on Washington Blvd by the Venice Pier, actually between the pier and Abbott Kinney.

I can suggest several cafes, like Native Foods in Santa Monica, or Muse on 8th downtown, or there's a vegan Cuban restaurant in Inglewood, between Playa and LAX.

Barry 02-01-2017 02:00 PM

Cafe Gratitude and Little Pine both look good. Have you heard anything about The Green Temple in Redondo? I'll run these by my son and see which one looks best to him. Thank you.

Thalassa 02-01-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry (Post 4054354)
Cafe Gratitude and Little Pine both look good. Have you heard anything about The Green Temple in Redondo? I'll run these by my son and see which one looks best to him. Thank you.

I haven't spent much time in Redondo. Most of the places I know besides the ones I recommend in West LA are in Hollywood, North Hollywood, and the Valley.

Barry 02-01-2017 09:37 PM

My son works in Redondo. Has anyone here been to The Green Temple? Google the green temple and you'll see lots of photos of the restaurant and the food they serve.
Just click on 'See photos' in the box on the right when the search page opens up.

Barry 02-19-2017 10:01 PM

We ended up going to Little Pine in Silver Lake. The food was good, though expensive. I'm not used to spending over $100 for 3 meals without drinks. The closest parking was 3 blocks away. They pack a lot of people into a small room, so it is crowded and noisy. My son and his girlfriend enjoyed the meal, so it was all worthwhile.