VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Arkansas (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/73-arkansas/)
-   -   Arkansas (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/73-arkansas/2548-arkansas.html)

Michael 05-11-2003 04:03 AM

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

magates 06-16-2003 11:49 PM

yep I am from AR. the only vegan in the whole state with internet acess

Squirl 10-09-2003 06:10 PM

Hello, hello. I am a vegetarian with internet access. Any others?

Squirl 10-17-2003 03:28 PM

If there are any mid-Arkansans out there, it would be great to form a vegetarian/vegan potluck group, etc. I live in Little Rock.

Serranian 01-22-2004 11:33 AM

I'm a veggie with net access - in Arkansas, no less!

I'm in the sw region of the state - y'sll from central AR? I'd love to have a potluck group or something like that (and also meet some animal rights folks), but Little Rock is a long way for somebody that doesn't even have a license! Yep - 22 and no license! And no car, either! Sigh . . . if we only had public transport . . .

Squirl 01-26-2004 09:15 PM

YAY! Somebody has posted in the Arkansas board! Well, it is a shame you're not in central Arkansas too. Where in the sw region are you?

dakinirawk 02-07-2004 01:48 PM

I live in Houston right now, but am thinking of moving to Fayetteville.

any advice? my husband loves the outdoors and it seems like there is a vegan community there. are we crazy for thinking of moving there? is it a nice place?

we run a buddhist center in our spare time, and are speech pathologists by day. so we just want a place where there are some educated people interested in buddhism, open minded, but also a good place to have a family. I work for the schools in houston, and cannot imagine sending my kids through the district I work for.

does anyone know about the schools in fayetteville? any other things I should research?

any advice would be really great!

XOXO

beth

Squirl 02-26-2004 08:00 PM

Dakinirawk,

Hi! Well, as the title says, I lived in Fayetteville for five years (I just moved from there to here in Little Rock in May). First of all, it is a beautiful area of the state. Your husband will definitely have plenty of space to enjoy the outdoors. Secondly, it is probably one of the most liberal and open-minded areas of the state, even though NW Arkansas generally votes conservative. Fayetteville itself is a college town and there are some old hippies around as well. It seems strange that I never really got to know people in the formed liberal circles (I was busy with school), but they are there. Somehow, I identify Ozark Natural Foods as sort of a hub. It's a natural foods store that expanded in the last five years and is actually a hopping business now (I remember when it was in an old house off the square about 15 years ago--my parents used to travel 2.5 hours to shop there).

While I have not started a family yet, I would guess that it is a great place to have a family. Low crime, and the people are interesting and well-intentioned. It's not a huge city, but certainly large enough to have most things you'd want. The area itself is beautiful. There is a great park--Devil's Den--about 35 minutes away. There MUST be a vegan community, although again, I never really found them (strange since I've been a vegetarian since born and wanted to make friends that are similar). There was a vegan potluck club that met when I lived there. While I don't know specifically what buddhist groups are there, I am sure there are some. You could probably just check the message board at Ozark Natural Foods to find groups that meet. I'm sorry I keep mentioning that store so much...it's just that you will find a lot of the kind of people you're interested in either working there or shopping. As for the school system, if you would like to know specifics, I have several friends that are native to Fayetteville and went through the schools there. They still live there as well and I could pass along questions about the school system to them if you like.

I hope this is a little helpful! I would have messaged you, but I'm afraid I'm still in the dark about how to do some things on this site. Send me a message or post something here if you have other questions or want to talk more about Fayetteville. I am happy to pass along any info.

Squirl 02-26-2004 08:10 PM

P.S. I noticed your signature, and I hate to say this, but the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville is FULL of frat boys. Once I moved out of the dorm directly behind frat row, my quality of life got much better. Just don't go to Dickson Street bars on (especially) Thursday nights. They're everywhere, but generally gravitate mostly toward beer and sorority girls.

But again--Fayetteville has got some personality. And it's a great place if you're young or old.

pentacleprinces 03-03-2004 01:52 PM

I am a vegan with internet access and have lived in Arkansas my entire life. No offense taken of course. I would like all vegans and vegetarians alike to register at meetup.com as a vegan. Then we could have a meetup. I know Little Rock can be a journey for some. Maybe we could plan our own meetup without meetup.com somewhere else in the state. I live in the delta region (southeast arkansas)

feel free to email me anytime (unless you want to fwd me something "funny")

~Cort

magates 03-03-2004 05:44 PM

I hope you and your husband don't smoke. Smoking was just banned in Fayetteville in work places and retraunts. I have been in Fayetteville for 4 years now and have yet to meet another vegan. I can tell you fayetteville is also a party town lots of clubs and dance joints and bars. I don't know of any "vegan scene" unforunatly. I am absolutly certain there are other vegans I have just yet to meet any of them.

Fayetville public schools are decent from what I have seen. Certainly better than most of the state but Arkansas is pretty bad in that area overall.

The weather is alright up here probably only slightly better than texas in that it doesn't get quite as hot in the summer. (It gets plenty hot though) Winter isn't like up north but the wind makes it pretty tough to want to be outside in winter.

I would say there would only be a mild intrest in Buddhism in Fayetteville. Students looking for somthing expermintal mostly and a few others who might be more serious about it. You have to realize that in Arkansas there are at least two churches on each corner. One baptist and one of another christian sect. It certainly would be nice to have you guys here but I am not giving Fayetteville a rousing recomendation.

magates 03-03-2004 05:48 PM

Also Fayetteville is having growing pains. Its growing faster than its infastructure can support it. This could be good and bad. Right now it means pretty bad traffic on the main roads.

pentacleprinces 03-24-2004 12:44 PM

Haven't heard from you about the potluck. I am probably going to make a different site. but email me! i have two confirmations. i was thinking april 20th would be a good day.....its KFC action week and i thought i'd get out there and leaflet a little. but a time before that could also be possible....i tried emailing you, unsure if you got it or not...

pentacleprinces 03-26-2004 03:16 PM

I think that april 20th would be a great day for a potluck. I have planned a KFC demo on that day. But then I guess since its a tuesday there won't be as many that can attend the demo. I am planning the demo probably from about 4-6. So I think we should have the potluck from like 6-8:30 or so.....I don't know, what do you think? Maybe the potluck should be then and I should reschedule the kfc demo for a saturday? i don't know....but lets get the ball rolling on this potluck if you want to have one.

Squirl 03-27-2004 05:15 PM

Hey Cortney! Sorry I was MIA. After I got together with you, I was pretty sick for about a week and a half and then laying around the house like a slug after that. It sounds like you are on track. I am feeling guilty because I was a slug and not getting down to business, but I think whatever I had made me feel really slow for awhile. Anyway, since you are doing the KFC demo, just decide when that would be best for you and we can plan the potluck for anytime but that. Who have you gotten to confirm? I am excited about that--let me know.

Erika

P.S. I don't think I got your e-mail...

pentacleprinces 03-27-2004 05:44 PM

Don't worry about it. I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Anyways, if you didnt get my email, i guess i need u to email me.

pentacleprinces 03-29-2004 03:32 PM

Hey, is April 17th a good evening for the potluck? That would be an excellent date for me. My confirmations include one girl who has just turned veggie and eightteen. But I would like a list of all of the veggies so that I can send an email directly before the event on what to bring (like a calendar and copies of their recipes if they're willing to share the latter) and also i am thinking of setting up a different site cuz i can hardly work on the one i have because i don't like it...and we need a message board to make sure everything is being brought so we dont have two chocolate cakes. and a rsvp message board so we have an idea of how many are coming...and where are we going to have this thing??? have you made flyers yet? i think we should go ahead and confirm the 17th asap or another date. email me! [email protected]

GhostUser 07-15-2004 07:54 PM

I was traveling through Arkansas( a completely beautiful state!) this mid July. My boyfriend really loves mexican food, so we stopped at El Charro in the North Hill Shopping Center in Harrison, Arkansas. I ordered a vegetarian plate but when it came there was a ground beef chalupa on it istead of a bean one...an honest mistake(I guess). I'm pretty shy so I politely told them it was suppose to be a vegetarian plate ,worried about sending food back(I've heard stories). They took it back without any problems but when they brought it back it was seriously covered in red sauce(which had not been there before). I could tell it was the exact same plate as before so I looked under the now bean chalupa...only to dicover a pile of meat. Apparently, they had removed the original beef chalupa but didn't get all the beef off the plate before replacing it with the bean chalupa. I guess the cook had seen the beef but was too lazy to do something about it and just covered it up with red sauce! If you live in the area and eat there... BE CAREFUL!!!

Their idea of vegetarian is very different.

GhostUser 03-10-2005 11:20 PM

I don't know if anyone is still here, seeing all replies are from 2004, but I live in Conway, and there are many vegetarians here. When I was in class I once told someone I was a vegan, and half the girls said they were vegetarians. No vegans though. I know there are some, but I don't know them, and definately no black veggies,(I am black). My whole family is a meat fest.

GhostUser 04-06-2005 10:31 PM

Hey - I'm a vegan coming to LR soom for a short visit. Any tips on good places to eat out? Any help appreciated!

haydsmommy 12-28-2005 02:31 PM

I lived in northeast Arkansas for 5 years...got married, moved away. My husband is being deployed in a few days for 5 months so my son and I are heading back to the mainland (Arkansas) until April. Just wanted to add myself in here. I'm new here...but I'm still surprised that the Arkansas board isn't empty!

Arkansas Vegan 03-08-2006 08:58 PM

Hi y'all,

My wife and I have just put together a web site for vegans here in this state. We're hopeing this can help provide a sense of community and some support for people that are just starting out. The site is called Arkansas Vegan and we sure would appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have. Thanks!

Arkansas Vegan 03-08-2006 09:03 PM

Hey, this site won't let me post URLs yet (haven't done the minimum 15 posts yet); but you can find the Arkansas Vegan web site here: arkansasvegan.homestead .com

BabyAlive 03-26-2006 10:25 AM

From central Arkansas. I am having trouble getting anything without cheese here... even at Wild Oats. I also coudn't even get a coffee with soy milk at the mall yesterday. Such despair. I heard there was a gro. market called "the country store" in Hot Springs. But everytime I try to go, which is Sundays, usually, it's closed. I need a good place to go out to eat sometimes. Any suggestions? .....I live betwixt Little rock and hot springs.

Arkansas Vegan 04-02-2006 10:50 AM

Hot Springs:

Linda recommended Belle Arti Ristorante at 719 Central Ave in Hot Springs as a high-end spot that has vegan options and is willing to veganize menu items for you. We also just got an a-mail from Lisa who recommended what looks like a very cool place: I Relax. It sounds like a sanctuary in a busy world, with lots of interesting items, classes, and a vegetarian / vegan deli. The're located at 240-A Central Ave in Hot Springs.

Little Rock:

In Little Rock there are more options; check out our growing restaurants guide at arkansasvegan.homestead.com I know what you mean about Wild Oats; they used to have great vegan items in their fresh deli fridge case but over the last several months we've really seen the place slide. The silver lining though is that they're saving up for the big new store they're opening at Markham and University. If you've seen Wild Oats' new locations in other cities you know this new store will be a huge upscale contrast to the aging store on Rodney Parham, so we're really excited about the new place! It doesn't help us much right now though, so I hope Wild Oats perk up a bit, keep their edge, and retain their customer base.

Maire Ciara 11-01-2006 09:26 PM

I am completely shocked that Arkansas has any replies. Wow.

That being said, I just heard of a vegan restaraunt being opened in Decatur. I think it's called Wellness Secrets (or the restaraunt is located in the building - I'm getting mixed reports.).

Ebony 01-17-2007 09:27 PM

Hey guys, I'm so happy that there are other vegans/vegetarians in AR . I thought I was completely alone. I live in NE Arkansas and it's not the most veggie friendly place. I wish there were at least a Wild Oats or something here. On the plus side my city recently started a small farmers market and it seems to be doing well, at least it's some progress. Anyways, it's great to know there are fellow veggie Arkansans!

Ebony

hooligan 11-21-2007 09:57 AM

Hey, I'm in AR too. Fort Smith.

smalleah 01-27-2008 10:38 PM

Anyone in the Bentonville area? There's a possibility I might be moving there (from Tulsa, Oklahoma). Is Arkansas a veg-friendly place?

What is there to do in Arkansas? :P

Kenickie 02-13-2008 06:27 PM

born in eureka springs, baby!