Arizona Anyone Ever Try Bountiful Baskets? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Hubby was at the dentist a couple of weeks ago and the hygienist was talking to him about this great co-op where you get produce items for a good price ($15.00 for conventional which is what we are trying this time though I prefer organic). It's www.bountifulbaskets.org. I was at the dentist Tuesday and she was talking about it to me, raving on and on. Hubby has been wanting to try it so we signed up and will see what we get on Saturday...

I'll post after we pick up our stuff and let you know if it's worth raving about...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, here are the items we received...

1-Pineapple

1-Head Broccoflower

7-Fuji Apples

4-Apple Pears

1-English Cucumber

2-Tomatoes

2-Packs of Green Onions

1-Large Head Leaf Lettuce

1-5lb Bag Russet Potatoes

1-Cantaloupe

1-Bunch of Celery

13-Bananas

1-Box of Strawberries

For $10.00 extra we got 5 Loaves of Sourdough Bread from the Arizona Bread Company (freezing 4 of them); we were only supposed to get 4 loaves but it was already bagged up so they must have had extra... There were only 2 of us getting sourdough and we both had 5.

And here's a photo before I put everything away.

I made a salad tonight with the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and one pack of the onions and it was tasty. I was told it is different items each time so will do it again, had a fun time hanging out even though the delivery guys were late so ended up waiting a while and we all helped unload the truck.
#3 Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Going to try it again tomorrow.... This week one of the extra offers was an Asian Food ingredient pack for $6.50 (Bok Choy, Ginger, Chinese Cabbage, Snow Peas, etc) so ordered that.

I'll post a photo again once we pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Beginner

sounds nice
#5 Old 03-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to the pick up site in my area at 6:30 this morning to volunteer with filling baskets. Had a good time except the collard greens were packed in ice... Brr!! I'm such a wimp now after living in AZ for almost 5 years anything below 75F is freezing...

Here's the haul today (for $15.00):

1-Head Leaf Lettuce

1-Package Celery Hearts

1-Package of Carrots

1-Bag of Grapes

1-Box of Strawberries

8-Gala Apples

9-D'Anjou Pears (received 3 extra for volunteering)

6-Plums

6-Onions (that's a lot of onions for 2 people)

4-Packs of Collard Greens (received 3 extra for volunteering, nobody else wanted them so happily took them explaining how healthy they are for you and that they one of the staples in my vegan diet. Volunteers were interested and started asking me, "Just how do you cook collard greens"?)

10-Bananas (received 3 extra for volunteering)

1-English Cucumber

1-Cantaloupe

And the extra Asian Ingredient Package ($6.50) contained the following:

1-Head Chinese Cabbage

1-Head Bok Choy

3-Packs Green Onions

1-Box Mushrooms

1-Chunk of Ginger

And a BUNCH of Snow Peas

This is a lot for just the two of us.... Hubby will be eating a lot of fruit and veges this week...

#6 Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

This is really cool I've never heard of it
#7 Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 AM

The produce looks excellent. I looked at their site and it doesn't look like they have much in organic produce. Does that change from week to week?
#8 Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-in-training View Post

The produce looks excellent. I looked at their site and it doesn't look like they have much in organic produce. Does that change from week to week?

The organic is every other week and only at certain locations (conventional is $15.00, organic $25.00). The one I go to has the organic option. I also volunteer filling baskets at my location on the weeks I order and you always get a few extras to take home. Sometimes we almost have too much because it's just hubby and me so I usually only order every other week. It's almost like opening a present because you never know what will be in the baskets until you get there... I have yet to be disappointed.
#9 Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Hi I'm new! I am just starting becoming a vegetarian and I'm going to be doing this as well. Thanks for posting what was in your basket it was great to actually hear what is in them! They are closed this week but I'm ordering a basket next week. I'll post what I get as well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page