Arizona - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post

Tucson has both, but really I have found that there's very little that I eat that the co-op doesn't already carry. The co-op is also very close to my house, and both Trader Joe's and Wild Oats are a bit of a drive. Not a huge hour long commute or anything, but enough to make me prefer the co-op.

The co-op is also a lot more understanding about the whole "reusing" thing. I frequently see people shopping at the co-op using their own containers. I never see that at TJ's or Wild Oats.

And speaking of which, I need to go shopping... almost forgot.

Hmm... I guess co-op doesn't carry much of the stuff we use. We need lots of fresh produce. Not just for us. We have two bunnies to feed

Trader Joe is a bit far for us too. Again, not very good for fresh produce. Lots of interesting processed food. Wild Oats is alright. We go there at least once a week. They have stuff my bunnies like to eat that are either expensive elsewhere or not available elsewhere.

But Wild Oats have meat aisle. I don't remember what TJ has. I mostly go there for their huge 1 pound bar of chocolate. The smell of meat/fish etc. bothers me. But the sight gross me out too... which is a bit weird for somebody like me who grow up watching people killing chicken and ducks, and skinning frogs and gutting fish. Lots of people say chinese eats anything that moves. I wasn't even vegetarian before I become vegan. It was just one day.. bam.. meat grossed me out.

I am surprised with what you said though. Lots of shoppers at Wild Oats at least, bring their own canvas bags. In fact, all stores appreciate that, even Safeway. We bring canvas bags everywhere we go.

Oh oh!! My bunny friend (whom I haven't met actually) told me about Sunflower Market. We checked it out once and it is very good for fresh produce. Don't recall seeing meat. But I could just be too happy skipping around with the abundance of fresh produce. We are going there again today. It's a bit far though. Both stores are near the east side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 12-01-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyfan View Post

Yeah. I have been there (Alice and Friends). Expensive and err... I am chinese. So, I am not very impressed with what they have. Plus, they seem to have problem making things without whey. The lady who owns the store actually told me so.

That SUMA Ching Hai place *IS* good, even for a picky chinese like me I have one problem though -- they *really* try to make things look real. I ordered the duck with ginger sauce and was a bit freaked out by how much it looks like real duck..

Well, I went to Alice and Friends with my Asian boyfriend and his sister. I dunno.. Maybe it just depends on the person. *shrug* The woman there assured us that things we ordered were vegan. So.. Hm. I dunno.

Thanks for the info on the Suma Ching Hai place. I am going there next week, and I hoped for a good experience. If it's anything like The Golden Era (in SF), which is like 50 times better than Alice and Friends, then I'll be happy.

I heard they have vegan flan! I love flan!
#93 Old 12-01-2004, 02:10 PM

Oh, and Sunflower Market rocks!! There is one in Tempe that I frequent. Unfortunately they do sell meat. But their produce section is HUGE and they have SO many vegan products.. Maybe more than the Tempe Whole Foods! The store is the largest HFS I've ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 12-01-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

Thanks for the info on the Suma Ching Hai place. I am going there next week, and I hoped for a good experience. If it's anything like The Golden Era (in SF), which is like 50 times better than Alice and Friends, then I'll be happy.

I heard they have vegan flan! I love flan!

I don't know whether I went to the Golden Era. Been to SF once and there was a restaurant in chinatown that had vegan dim sum buffet!! $8 a person!! So, we didn't go to other stores. Pretty much just camped in there But I heard that store went out of business

The SUMA place is a bit different from most chinese vege place I have been to. I mean.. chinese vegetarian food is almost like a different cuisine -- different techniques, different ingredients, different dishes... from regular chinese cuisine (independent of ethnic group). The food at the SUMA place is almost like *regular* chinese cuisine (without animal products). So, you don't find typical chinese vegetarian stuff there. And if you do, they make it differently.

They have flan?!? I should look at the menu more carefully next time. I love flan too.
#95 Old 12-01-2004, 03:47 PM

The Golden Era, actually, is Vietnamese. But everyone who ate there was amazed by it. I ended up eating there 4 times in 3 days.

Now, I can't wait to try Suma Ching Hai. Rawr!

Anyone else as cold as I am? Sheesh! AZ isn't normally cold. Maybe it's just my house, though, it's warmer upstairs because the vents down here don't work right.

Has anyone tried Veggie Fun? I heard it's all vegan... It's pretty out of the way for me.. So, I'm curious.
#96 Old 12-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hmm... I guess co-op doesn't carry much of the stuff we use. We need lots of fresh produce. Not just for us. We have two bunnies to feed

I don't eat a lot of produce, and what I do eat is pretty typical. Potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, apples... that sort of thing. I do occasionally get dandelion greens for the tortoise, also. But I can see how it might be less than perfect for someone who does eat a lot of produce. As I said, my diet is dull and repetitive.

Quote:
Trader Joe is a bit far for us too. Again, not very good for fresh produce.

But Wild Oats have meat aisle. I don't remember what TJ has.

Trader Joe's is, in my opinion, terrible for produce. I've had a hard time finding even my basic necessities there. And I've also seen more than one type of produce on styrofoam trays with plastic wrap. Really -- green peppers don't need the extra packaging.

Trader Joe's doesn't have much fresh meat, and what they do have is pretty well packaged -- I don't smell it when I walk by. In fact at first I thought they didn't carry any fresh meat at all, then remembered that they do in fact have some.

Quote:
I am surprised with what you said though. Lots of shoppers at Wild Oats at least, bring their own canvas bags. In fact, all stores appreciate that, even Safeway. We bring canvas bags everywhere we go.

I guess I misrepresented what I wanted to say, actually. I've been to Wild Oats a few times (probably less than ten times) so saying that I've never seen shoppers there with canvas bags isn't saying much.

If I do end up at a big chain market, it's Albertson's. And they like to double and triple bag things, even when I bring my own bags. I've gotten really fond of the self-checkout stations there, because I never have much in the way of groceries and I can bag it the way I want. One time a bagger dropped the few groceries I had into two plastic bags (as in, one or two items per bag). When I pointed out that I had a bag already, he dropped everything into my canvas bag. Including the plastic bags. *sigh* Can you say missing the point?

Quote:
Oh oh!! My bunny friend (whom I haven't met actually) told me about Sunflower Market. We checked it out once and it is very good for fresh produce. Don't recall seeing meat. But I could just be too happy skipping around with the abundance of fresh produce. We are going there again today. It's a bit far though. Both stores are near the east side.

I've heard that it's supposed to be really good, but haven't tried it myself. The only one I know of is on Speedway and Swan, which isn't really any closer to me than Trader Joe's on Grant and Swan. You're saying there's another location?
#97 Old 12-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Anyone else as cold as I am? Sheesh! AZ isn't normally cold. Maybe it's just my house, though, it's warmer upstairs because the vents down here don't work right.

I'm freezing. And I get no sympathy from people who don't live in the state.

"Oh, it's 43ºF ? You poor dear! " (yeah, I can actually hear them roll their eyes. )

My bedroom is the warmest place in the house, due to poor ventilation. But all things considered, that's not bad. My computer's in my room, so that's where I spend the majority of my time anyway.
#98 Old 12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, it has been very cold for me lately...

Sunflower Market is fairly good for produce, but I wasn't overly impressed with their dry goods--very expensive with few sales. They're also pretty far from me.

Have any of you been to the 17th St. Market in Tucson? Wonderful produce, plus lots of foods from around the world. It's probably my favorite place to shop in town, but I don't go there frequently because it's kind of far. If you go, bring a sweater because they keep the produce section freezing.

I bring my own bags everywhere, from Wild Oats to TJ's to Albertson's, and never have a problem. I just make sure to tell them before they start checking things.

FYI for Tucsonans, I ate at Blue Willow last week and found a piece of meat in my tofu scramble. They were profusely apologetic about it and gave me another for free, but still...
#99 Old 12-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Our heat isn't fixed yet... Even in North Dakota we turned on the heat when it was this temp. Our apartment is FREEZING in the morning (49 degreesedit... opps just checked it is 56 in here right now, so it is better than this morning). You would think for 1000 a month, they would fix the heat faster grrrrr!
#100 Old 12-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah and mmmm can't wait til next week for Suma Ching Hai with frafa!
#101 Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

Oh yeah and mmmm can't wait til next week for Suma Ching Hai with frafa!

^_^

I'm excited!
#102 Old 12-02-2004, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Bah! I live in Flagstaff
#103 Old 12-02-2004, 10:09 PM

Yeah, well we're not used to it being cold so

People don't think we get cold at 40, but when you're used to 100 degree weather, it's damn cold!
#104 Old 12-02-2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:

I've heard that it's supposed to be really good, but haven't tried it myself. The only one I know of is on Speedway and Swan, which isn't really any closer to me than Trader Joe's on Grant and Swan. You're saying there's another location?

Unfortunately, that is supposed to be the new one at the central location. I don't know. I just moved here. I got some ads in the mail about Sunflower Market opening a new store at the central location. Yup! That's the one on Speedway and Swan. The other one must be further east than that. So, that's not going to help.
#105 Old 12-02-2004, 11:22 PM

I am cold too. Strange. Anything above freezing used to be warm. I guess everything is relative. We were up in Flagstaff on Thanksgiving weekend. It was cold. But it felt normal.

I think houses here are not so well insulated. Our tile floor is freezing cold, especially near the balcony door. During winter in Chicago, if you don't walk out or open the windows/doors, you wouldn't have a clue how cold it is outside.

But I don't think I will ever get used to over 100F. It's easier to deal with cold than heat.
#106 Old 12-02-2004, 11:41 PM

Quote:

During winter in Chicago, if you don't walk out or open the windows/doors, you wouldn't have a clue how cold it is outside.

haha yeah.. We had to walk outside before leaving to figure out if we needed a coat or sweatshirt.
#107 Old 12-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

haha yeah.. We had to walk outside before leaving to figure out if we needed a coat or sweatshirt.

I still do this. Mostly because it can look so nice and warm outside, and be totally freezing.
#108 Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 PM

Hmm. The nifty thing about snow is you don't have to step in it to know it's cold

*praying for a snow day*
#109 Old 12-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokara View Post

Hmm. The nifty thing about snow is you don't have to step in it to know it's cold

Unless you happen to be a dog. My dogs have always been surprised at how cold the snow is. Or at least, that's how I interpret the whole look of surprise that they give me...
#110 Old 12-06-2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Unless you happen to be a dog. My dogs have always been surprised at how cold the snow is. Or at least, that's how I interpret the whole look of surprise that they give me...

My dog's the same way, but he loves it. I wish I could get him on tape the way he bounds through the snow.

(got my snow day, but slept almost all day anyway)
#111 Old 01-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Anyone from flagstaff? I just moved up here to flagstaff and im wondering if there are any other health food stores besides New Frontiers.
#112 Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM

i'm moving to phoenix in a few months (specifically mesa) and i was wondering if there are any good health food stores or veggie restaurants in the area that i should know of. also, we have to get an apartment before we get down there so we won't be able to see the the place until we get there... i was wondering if there were any complexes/areas in mesa to steer clear of.
#113 Old 01-11-2005, 03:00 PM

bunnyfan - was it hard to adjust to the weather in AZ? i'm moving from michigan, and i'm worried that i won't be able to handle the heat & dryness. i know heat is more tolerable when it's dry heat, but i consider 80 too hot. my aunt recently moved to idaho and she said that she had to put a humidifier in every room because she couldn't handle how dry it was.

you guys are spoiled! i'm used to driving 1/2 hour to get to a health food store and being amazed if it even has produce!

i'll be so glad to finally be near civilization..... to actually be able to order pizza/chinese and get it delivered... *sigh*
#114 Old 01-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Unfortunately, that is supposed to be the new one at the central location. I don't know. I just moved here. I got some ads in the mail about Sunflower Market opening a new store at the central location. Yup! That's the one on Speedway and Swan. The other one must be further east than that. So, that's not going to help.

I think the new TJs is supposed to be at Campbell and Prince, which would make me oh so happy since I live near there.
#115 Old 01-11-2005, 07:25 PM

Hi elicia! Hi, hi! I live in Flagstaff. I can't help you though, I don't know of any other health food stores. The Basha's by walmart has some organic produce and some vegan frozen food though, if that's what you're interested in. My dad keeps telling me I'd like to go to Farmer's Market... I'm not quite sure if it's organic but there's a lot of produce apparently.
#116 Old 01-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello Everyone!

I can't believe there is so many people from AZ! I live in Phoenix (around PV mall), but I go to ASU... and I mostly stay at my bf's apartment during the school year. I've been to the Gentle Strength Co-op once-it's pretty cool-I want to eat lunch there on my next visit though! Anyone live by PV mall?
#117 Old 02-07-2005, 12:30 AM

Oooh, another AZer...

Hm, I live by Arizona Mills.
#118 Old 02-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Neat-My bfriend lives right by there too-around Baseline and Kyrene
#119 Old 02-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinthea View Post

bunnyfan - was it hard to adjust to the weather in AZ? i'm moving from michigan, and i'm worried that i won't be able to handle the heat & dryness. i know heat is more tolerable when it's dry heat, but i consider 80 too hot. my aunt recently moved to idaho and she said that she had to put a humidifier in every room because she couldn't handle how dry it was.

you guys are spoiled! i'm used to driving 1/2 hour to get to a health food store and being amazed if it even has produce!

i'll be so glad to finally be near civilization..... to actually be able to order pizza/chinese and get it delivered... *sigh*

I moved here from Michigan, and I have loved it so far. I've been here about a year and a half so far. The summers are extremely hot, but it's not unbearable in my opinion. I find 80-90 degrees in a humid place like Michigan to be worse than the dry 110 degree heat here. Plus the winters here in AZ are sooo much better than in MI. The winters here are perfect most of the time. The dryness hasn't bothered me much, but I think it'd have a different effect on everyone.

There is quite a nice selection of excellent veggie, or veg friendly restaurants, and plenty of health food stores. Tempe, in the ASU area, is where you will find most of the restaurants, and if you're in Mesa I don't think you'd be too far from them.
#120 Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 AM

hi everybody... new to the forum here... just thought id say hi, and post a little somethin... been here is good ol' az all my life livin in north scottsdale, when i went to ASU i lived in tempe, been a lazy vegitarian/vegan for about 12 years now, and i though since my favorite places didnt seemed to be mentioned i would let everybody know... they are in tempe...

plaid eatery is awsome, you can get tofu everything... (they do serve meat though) its on Terrace & Lemon and open till 2am,

the pita jungle is great too lots of vegan nad vegi items, great price too... its on 1250 E. Apache Blvd. (E of Rural, N side of road),

Flip Flops is good... they changed their menu from when they first opened though... not as good... but still can get some vegan and vegi stuff there... its on 222 University Dr, University Dr. between College and Forest,

the Oasis cafe, Middle Eastern type food, this one is not quite vegan but they have excelent hummus and tabouli stuff... which is across the street from the pita jungle,

Phoenicia Cafe is Middle Eastern food... good... mmmm... near the temple on 616 S. Forest Ave.

Ichi Ban Japanese Sushi Bar And Restaurant... i said i was a lazy vegi and i do have a weakness for sushi.... its on 1435 E University Dr... i know... i suck!... hehe

and also the little co-op, gentle strength, is supposed to be moving... ... cant remember where, but i loved their sandwitches
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page