Arizona - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 09-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusswoman View Post

Hello-

Where does everyone shop for their vegan foods. There isn't a Lassens here and the whole foods is 40 minutes from my house. I couldn't find anything in the yellow pages. I live in Peoria off 67th and Happy Valley. Help!

When I lived in AZ, I used to go to Sprouts, Wild Oats, and/or Trader Joe's. Of course, I lived in Scottsdale which is pretty far from where you currently live, but I seem to recall they were trying to build more Sprouts & Wild Oats stores. Wild Oats usually satisfied all of my vegan requirements more so than any of the other stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post

When I lived in AZ, I used to go to Sprouts, Wild Oats, and/or Trader Joe's. Of course, I lived in Scottsdale which is pretty far from where you currently live, but I seem to recall they were trying to build more Sprouts & Wild Oats stores. Wild Oats usually satisfied all of my vegan requirements more so than any of the other stores.

Wild oats, huh? I will look that up in the morning and head out there. Thanks. I WISH I live in Scottsdale...I love it there. Peoria is pretty but not quite developed yet.
#63 Old 09-08-2004, 11:15 PM

Wow... an Arizona thread! Can I join in? I'm an Az'er also. Nice to know that there are so many other veggies out here in the desert.

I never seem to meet any IRL unfortunately.

Anyway, I concur with the Wild Oats recommendation... also Trader Joe's. I usually stock up on rice milk, juices, vitamins, snacks, etc. at TJ's as it is much less expensive than Wild Oats, but WO carries some specialty things that I just can't find anywhere else.

Mari.. another monsoon fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Any other Tucsonans here?

Maybe.
#65 Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 PM

I don't think I'll have time for a gathering before I leave on another trip.

Maybe, even if you guys meet up once, we can meet up sometime when I am back? huh? huh?
#66 Old 09-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post

Maybe.

Maybe not?
#67 Old 09-09-2004, 05:43 PM

I'm a Tucsonan. Been here almost 10 years now.
#68 Old 09-24-2004, 09:16 PM

I'm down for hanging out with any veg*ns anytime Just name a time and place. I was in south Phoenix, but now I'm in Tempe, pretty close to ASU.
#69 Old 09-27-2004, 10:47 PM

Yeah.. let's organize something!!
#70 Old 10-27-2004, 01:07 AM

Tucson here. Just thought I'd pop in and say hi!
#71 Old 10-27-2004, 01:09 AM

Hi botulismo! *waves*

Hm... We're getting more AZ members! For awhile I was the only one.

^_^ We definitely need to have a meet up!
#72 Old 10-27-2004, 11:17 AM

That kind of surprises me. It seems vegetarianism is a kind of common thing out here. Well, not "common" but it's something people are aware of and restaurants try to cater to, with many at least offering a few options. At least it's better than the midwest, as far as I'm concerned.

But this state is a-growing and a-changing.

I love that a- prefix.
#73 Old 10-27-2004, 03:10 PM

Hehe..

Well, there are more veg restaurants in like Chicago. I wish Phoenix had more.

Although, Phoenix is a test market for the discount HFSs. ^_^
#74 Old 10-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I've lived in Tempe and Tucson, and so far I'd say Tucson is a bit more veg-friendly, although I lived in Tempe 5 years ago, so there might be more options in the Phoenix area now. Compared to where I lived most recently before moving to Tucson (Farmington, NM), Tucson is like vegan heaven!
#75 Old 10-27-2004, 04:59 PM

Chicago may have more vegetarian restaurants but when you're in mixed company (as most people usually are!) it's a lot more convenient to have somewhere everybody will be happy with that has options. Chicago is really, REALLY bad about that.

But yeah, I like Tucson a lot.
#76 Old 10-27-2004, 05:35 PM

Well, when you think about it, omnivores CAN eat vegan food as they shouldn't be morally/ethically against soy/wheat gluten/etc.. hehe.. And if they are, I'd worry. I mean, vegan food is yummy, too!

But yeah, when in Chicago, I'm in the presence of another vegan anyway. ^^
#77 Old 11-01-2004, 01:54 AM

Of course vegan food is good, but I don't really get off on pressuring others to eat as I do.
#78 Old 11-20-2004, 02:11 AM

OK, so where are all the good food places at? I have been looking on the web and can't really find any. Any suggestions?
#79 Old 11-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm guessing that you're somewhere in Arizona, but narrowing it down might help a bit with the suggestions...
#80 Old 11-20-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Well I'm guessing that you're somewhere in Arizona, but narrowing it down might help a bit with the suggestions...

Ahhh, sorry, I had posted before that I was from Phoenix (I think). Anyway it was late last night and I just figured that everyone had read the whole thread. Anyway, I live in Phoenix, well Surprise really, but in the Phoenix area.
#81 Old 11-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Heh -- I have read the whole thread, just not recently.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Phoenix (I can get there, but that's about it) so can't give any recommendations.
#82 Old 11-21-2004, 03:16 AM

Zorro, have you tried azvegan.com? Tons of restaurant listings there.

I need to check out what has changed at a greek place I frequent in Tempe. The recently changed some things, so I have been meaning to call them and find out about the pita and falafel.
#83 Old 11-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to love the Ethiopian restaurant in Tempe. The name escapes me at the moment...
#84 Old 11-26-2004, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botulismo View Post

Chicago may have more vegetarian restaurants but when you're in mixed company (as most people usually are!) it's a lot more convenient to have somewhere everybody will be happy with that has options. Chicago is really, REALLY bad about that.

But yeah, I like Tucson a lot.

Hi. Just moved to Tucson in August from Chicago. Lived in Chicago for 6 years and was a much happier vegan then. In fact, I am going back before christmas to fill up on all the things I miss.

Not true. Chicago has everything, from mostly vegan/primarily vegetarian, to things that are here -- restaurants with vege entres. The only thing it doesn't have -- a chinese vegetarian restaurant-- something like the suma international vegetarian house in Phoenix.

And vegan supplies are abundant. I particular enjoy getting to go to fresh produce stores that don't subject me to meat aisles. This place... If anybody know any store in Tucson that carries good vege and supplies without also carrying meat, pleast let me know.

It has been hard in Tucson. There are places to go, true. But quality, quantity, however you slice it.. doesn't hold a candle to Chicago.
#85 Old 11-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I do 98% of my shopping at the food co-op on fourth avenue. There's really very little that I buy that I can't find there. They don't carry any fresh meat, but there is frozen meat. I'm guessing that you're avoiding the smell (which is my main reason for holding my breath when walking anywhere near the vicinity of the meat counter) so frozen shouldn't be a problem.

Of course I should mention that my diet is boring and repetitive by many people's standards...
#86 Old 11-26-2004, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyfan View Post

Not true. Chicago has everything, from mostly vegan/primarily vegetarian, to things that are here -- restaurants with vege entres. The only thing it doesn't have -- a chinese vegetarian restaurant-- something like the suma international vegetarian house in Phoenix.

Actually, I was in Chicago last week and ate at a veg Asian restaurant there. It's called Alice and Friends. It's soooo good!

And yeah, I plan on trying the Suma Ching Hai International blah blah next week! I'm excited! I hope it's just as good as the veg Asian restaurants I've been to. The top one, so far, is The Golden Era in San Francisco. EVERYTHING there is good.
#87 Old 11-26-2004, 01:09 AM

Quote:

I do 98% of my shopping at the food co-op on fourth avenue. There's really very little that I buy that I can't find there. They don't carry any fresh meat, but there is frozen meat. I'm guessing that you're avoiding the smell (which is my main reason for holding my breath when walking anywhere near the vicinity of the meat counter) so frozen shouldn't be a problem.

Of course I should mention that my diet is boring and repetitive by many people's standards...

Doesn't Tucson have Trader Joe's and Wild Oats? Try those out!
#88 Old 11-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Tucson has both, but really I have found that there's very little that I eat that the co-op doesn't already carry. The co-op is also very close to my house, and both Trader Joe's and Wild Oats are a bit of a drive. Not a huge hour long commute or anything, but enough to make me prefer the co-op.

The co-op is also a lot more understanding about the whole "reusing" thing. I frequently see people shopping at the co-op using their own containers. I never see that at TJ's or Wild Oats.

And speaking of which, I need to go shopping... almost forgot.
#89 Old 11-28-2004, 07:50 PM

You guys in Tucson are lucky. There's a restaraunt near my brother's frat, called Sinbad's I think. Best food EVER. I'm never going there again without making him take me there.
#90 Old 12-01-2004, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

Actually, I was in Chicago last week and ate at a veg Asian restaurant there. It's called Alice and Friends. It's soooo good!

And yeah, I plan on trying the Suma Ching Hai International blah blah next week! I'm excited! I hope it's just as good as the veg Asian restaurants I've been to. The top one, so far, is The Golden Era in San Francisco. EVERYTHING there is good.

Yeah. I have been there (Alice and Friends). Expensive and err... I am chinese. So, I am not very impressed with what they have. Plus, they seem to have problem making things without whey. The lady who owns the store actually told me so.

It's mostly Korean oriented. There is another Korean place.. err.. Amitabul. I find it weird. But mostly we went nuts and ordered everything super spicy. We were almost in tears by the end of the meal. I am Malaysian and my husband is Indian. So, we have high spice tolerance. Even then...

If anybody is a big fan of Ethiopian food, Chicago has quite a few really good ones. There are two that we always go to and will definitely pig out there again when we go back for Christmas. The ones we tried out in Tucson and Phoenix... have really weird tasting injera.

And the Indian town in Chicago... Very vege friendly. They might have a problem understanding why you don't want yogurt chutney. But they respect your decisions :-)

That SUMA Ching Hai place *IS* good, even for a picky chinese like me I have one problem though -- they *really* try to make things look real. I ordered the duck with ginger sauce and was a bit freaked out by how much it looks like real duck..
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page